Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Sprint 2021: Why Not?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-27-21, 01:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts

The girlfriend wants to upgrade - significantly - from her 2016 Specialized Dolce w/8-speed Claris. It's a pretty decent little bike, but she wants a level above that (at least). She does 6K kms a year and is no pushover, so it wouldn't get dusty.

She's got her eyes full of a new Bianchi Sprint with 105.

Since I'm a huge Bianchi fan, I'm a bit biased. I think it's a gorgeous machine, I've looked at the geometry of her old bike vs this one, the Bianchi seems a little more racy, with a lower stack and ever-so-slightly shorter reach. But it's really similar and shouldn't be anything she can't adapt to. The upgrade in components should put a massive smile on her face.

Is there any reason she shouldn't treat herself?

Old 10-27-21, 02:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Probably quite a bit more aggressive fit on the Bianchi as opposed to her current Dolce. Although if the Dolce is a smaller size than what she would normally be recommended, then maybe not.

I wouldn't expect to easily get the bars back to the Saddle to bar drop height her Dolce probably is at currently. So if a more aero position isn't desired, I'd look for some other Bianchi or another brand.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-27-21, 03:10 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Myself, I'd get an Infiniti instead. Heck, I just might!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-27-21, 03:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
She might need to play with stem and spacers ... or whatever. it looks like an awesome bike ... but she probably needs to look at a couple more, and sit on a couple, and think it over.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-27-21, 05:09 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,911 Posts
It looks very nice. The 105 groupset is excellent. I like Bianchi, I love the colour. Might want to think about disc vs rim brakes. Might also want to consider the Infinito, depending on the sort of riding she does. Race vs Endurance.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-27-21, 06:48 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 165 Posts
How old is she and how's her flexability?
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 10-28-21, 04:23 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
I would think there are enough different stems in the world that one of them would solve any position difficulties.

I don't see why she shouldn't treat herself, but the flexibility question above could be a pertinent one.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 10-28-21, 04:27 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

As much as I like that Bianchi Sprint (she loves it too, just based on looks), this isn't a bike for me, so I'm going to take what seems to be a sound general consensus advice to pop into every bike shop she passes and try out a load of different bikes.

Also, "endurance" seems to be the geometry buzzword that would likely be best for her. That's what concerns me about the Sprint, it may be a bit too race-oriented, being a full 1 inch shorter (stack height) than the Specialized Dolce is a big change. It's just too bad Bianchi doesn't seem to have a mid-range price point (around 2K) for an endurance frame (the Infinito XE is the guts of 3 grand!). Then again, she might love it, she's very competitive.

I'm now looking at the Canyon Endurace CF7. A more relaxed geometry, nice carbon frame, Shimano 105, less expensive, killer looks (in the Movistar blue)... but not currently available and not in shops (online only). I'm now on their mailing list, and we'll see what happens in the meantime.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by ridelikeaturtle; 10-28-21 at 07:33 AM.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 11-04-21, 01:38 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Usually a "sprint" bike has a steeper headtube angle a shorter fork rake / offset and this is great for criterium racing but less so for general road riding. Worth checking out with a test ride of a similar frame before making the purchase.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-04-21, 02:04 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I'm not sure what bike she should get because that's a very personal thing. I will say I love the geometry on my Domane. The Endurance or Gravel set up is pretty comfortable for a beat up old guy like me.

The really pertinent question ......should she treat herself....Absolutely !!

If she finds one that's a bit out of her price range maybe you could kick in a few bucks !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 11-04-21, 02:25 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle

I'm now looking at the Canyon Endurace CF7. A more relaxed geometry, nice carbon frame, Shimano 105, less expensive, killer looks (in the Movistar blue)... but not currently available and not in shops (online only). I'm now on their mailing list, and we'll see what happens in the meantime.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!
Canyon make nice bikes for sure. The only thing to consider with the Endurace is that it's been around in its present form for a number of years, so probably due an update. That's not a criticism of the bike, just something to bear in mind. If you bought one and then a new version came out within a year, would you be bothered?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-04-21, 02:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
  • It's just too bad Bianchi doesn't seem to have a mid-range price point (around 2K) for an endurance frame
  • the Infinito XE is the guts of 3 grand
  • she's very competitive.
Personally, I'd take the stairs two at a time. Scrape together another grand, get the Infinito, and she'll be happy for years to come. But I'm a "buy once/cry once" kind of guy.
Old 11-04-21, 02:35 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Canyon make nice bikes for sure. The only thing to consider with the Endurace is that it's been around in its present form for a number of years, so probably due an update. That's not a criticism of the bike, just something to bear in mind. If you bought one and then a new version came out within a year, would you be bothered?
I wonder if that's why Canyon are sold out, they've shifted production to the next model?

Yeah, that could be annoying, especially if the price is pretty much the same for a nicer bike. In the current market, I don't see bike prices coming down anytime soon, with the shortages, the run up to Christmas, then warmer weather in the Spring, they're always seem to be in "high demand".

That's all motivation to wait. If there's any of last year's bikes left over in her size, she might be able to grab something at a discount to make room for new models.

One that's really caught my eye is the ORRO Gold Evo 105. There's a local dealer, we'll go have a look and see.
Old 11-04-21, 02:39 PM
PeteHski

I wonder if that's why Canyon are sold out, they've shifted production to the next model?

Yeah, that could be annoying, especially if the price is pretty much the same for a nicer bike. In the current market, I don't see bike prices coming down anytime soon, with the shortages, the run up to Christmas, then warmer weather in the Spring, they're always seem to be in "high demand".

That's all motivation to wait. If there's any of last year's bikes left over in her size, she might be able to grab something at a discount to make room for new models.

One that's really caught my eye is the ORRO Gold Evo 105. There's a local dealer, we'll go have a look and see.
Yeah the Orro Gold looks good too. I see a fair few of those around at UK Sportives. That's half the trouble, there are too many nice bikes to choose from and not many lemons! For this reason I would go with the heart. I bought my Defy using my head when I got back into road biking and have been drooling over more "sexy" bikes ever since!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-04-21, 07:02 PM
ridelikeaturtle

2021 LIV Langma Advanced 3 Disc

After checking out the ORRO Gold 105, this is what we - or more accurately, SHE - decided on: the 2021 LIV Langma Advanced 3 Disc. It ticked every box, as the ORRO Gold didn't come in a size small enough for a 5-foot-3 woman. Much better standover height and better reach, and the Tiagra 10-speed components are surprisingly nice, more like old-school Ultegra (from just a few years ago). Full hydraulic disc brakes, sweet frame, decent wheels & tyres.

Can't wait to get it out on the road, supply is a big issue for Ireland at the moment so having anything available at the moment is a treat.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 12-04-21, 08:27 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
... ignore... I just saw you're last post... happy cadence for many miles to come !
oh, and, nice bike!
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-04-21 at 08:34 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-05-21, 04:19 AM
ridelikeaturtle

As suggested above, the testride removed all doubts, her body language said everything. It was the "little things" that made a big difference, such as the throw of the brake levers being shorter was a big deal as she's often finding her forearms tired from braking on descents (I think she's experiencing that MotoGP phenomenon of "arm pump"), the narrow width of the handlebars, the shorter reach. Tubeless tyres is a nice bonus, it'll probably encourage me to switch.

I did not want to like this LIV bike as I'm not a big fan of GIANT - just for me, the big manufacturers are a bit "soulless" - but there's no denying the "bang for the buck" value, and most importantly all the women-specific features, which she immediately noticed on the testride, that make this such a comfortable option.
Old 12-05-21, 08:22 AM
PeteHski

I think she made a solid choice there. I know it's very superficial, but I do think the "Liv" branding actually helps quite a bit to move away from the generic "Giant" label. Giant make excellent carbon frames at competitive prices, but the "Giant" brand image is very mundane. To be honest that's the only issue I have with my Defy. As a functional, efficient and reliable bike it is pretty faultless. But because cycling is one of my few passions in life it does slightly bother me. It is perfect as an everyday workhorse bike, but I can't help looking at other more exotic options. But Liv seems like a more focused sub-brand and therefore scores higher on the "cool wall" if that makes any sense.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-06-21, 05:48 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Very happy to read post #17.
Although there was a lot of good input from people obviously very knowledgeable about the bike, they were not her.
She is the real expert on what she likes. You said the test ride sold her. A good investment in domestic tranquility.
Enjoy, both of you.
Likes For Pratt: