Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why pay extra for Trek or Specialized?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-27-21, 06:32 PM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Looking to get a new race geo bike and looking at the 105 equipped Giant TCR that is comparably equipped about $1000 less than the Trek Emonda sl5 or specialized tarmac sl6. What gives?? Is it just branding? Marketing? Would a noob like myself know the difference? Should I save the thousand and get nicer wheels down the line??
Likes For Dimago123:
Old 10-27-21, 06:37 PM
RollinOnRoad

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It may not be the case here, but in some cases Giant skimps on some components within the group set (I.e not everything is 105 on their 105 level bike). Some parts may be proprietary branded etc. that may not matter much but does impact cost.

Otherwise mostly marketing costs you are paying for. Trek is considered by many to be good on warranty claims too if you ever had one.
Likes For RollinOnRoad:
Old 10-27-21, 06:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
shock absorbers. Does Giant have them?
Old 10-27-21, 06:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
shock absorbers. Does Giant have them?

Neither the Emonda nor the Tarmac have shock absorption.
Old 10-27-21, 07:05 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Dimago123
Looking to get a new race geo bike and looking at the 105 equipped Giant TCR that is comparably equipped about $1000 less than the Trek Emonda sl5 or specialized tarmac sl6. What gives?? Is it just branding? Marketing? Would a noob like myself know the difference? Should I save the thousand and get nicer wheels down the line??
I'm seeing a difference more in line with $400-500 - where are you seeing $1k?

There are minor differences in trim, but they're all nice bikes and I don't think that you could go wrong. As a vain person, though, I'd probably lean towards the Emonda because it's got more modern cable routing in the cockpit area and I'd rather not see all of the cables hangin' out in the wind.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-27-21, 07:15 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Ideally you should ride them all and see how they feel. That's really more important than the minor differences between the bikes.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-27-21, 07:39 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Somebody has to pay for the World Tour team sponsorships.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 10-27-21, 08:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Which one fits better?
Old 10-27-21, 10:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
Somebody has to pay for the World Tour team sponsorships.
This is the first year since '97 that Giant isn't on the World Tour.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-27-21 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-27-21, 10:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is the first year since '97 that against isn't on the World Tour.
wut
Old 10-27-21, 10:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
wut
stupid auto correct.

Against = Giant.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-28-21, 05:06 AM
Dimago123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm seeing a difference more in line with $400-500 - where are you seeing $1k?

There are minor differences in trim, but they're all nice bikes and I don't think that you could go wrong. As a vain person, though, I'd probably lean towards the Emonda because it's got more modern cable routing in the cockpit area and I'd rather not see all of the cables hangin' out in the wind.
maybe I was rounding up in my head. But it was like $2300 for TCR and $3200 for the specialized

I should say, that lower end TCR comes with rim brakes and the trek and specialized carbon models are disc only. In Chicago where I live there is very little elevation. Very flat. And I don’t ride in the rain. So why pay more for a heavier disc tech? And hydraulic needs occasional bleeding. Ugh

I’m just thinking out loud before committing. I hope more options are available soon around here and I can ride a couple different bikes to see how they actually feel
Old 10-28-21, 05:29 AM
WhyFi

maybe I was rounding up in my head. But it was like $2300 for TCR and $3200 for the specialized

I should say, that lower end TCR comes with rim brakes and the trek and specialized carbon models are disc only. In Chicago where I live there is very little elevation. Very flat. And I don’t ride in the rain. So why pay more for a heavier disc tech? And hydraulic needs occasional bleeding. Ugh

I’m just thinking out loud before committing. I hope more options are available soon around here and I can ride a couple different bikes to see how they actually feel
That's a fairly significant omission and takes the comparison well out of the apples-to-apples range. Personally, I wouldn't have bought a rim brake bike five years ago, and certainty wouldn't now. I also find hydro to be less maintenance, on the balance, but it is a different set of tools and skills.

​​​​​If you're comfortable with rim brakes and don't anticipate wanting tires larger than 28mm, go for it.
Old 10-28-21, 05:33 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts

Ive put 8000 miles on my cervelo and have yet had too bleed the brakes.

sounds like your mind is already made up, so not sure why you are asking strangers what you should buy.

Setting price aside, what you select might be based on what’s available and how patient you are. I recently bought a new bike and the process was a lot more complicated than just deciding on what I wanted and purchasing. I narrowed it down to 3 bikes and went with the one that I was able to get this year. Ons of my choices I wasn’t going to see until august next year.

good luck.
Old 10-28-21, 05:36 AM
Dimago123

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Ive put 8000 miles on my cervelo and have yet had too bleed the brakes.

sounds like your mind is already made up, so not sure why you are asking strangers what you should buy.

Setting price aside, what you select might be based on what’s available and how patient you are. I recently bought a new bike and the process was a lot more complicated than just deciding on what I wanted and purchasing. I narrowed it down to 3 bikes and went with the one that I was able to get this year. Ons of my choices I wasn’t going to see until august next year.

good luck.
ah maybe you’re right. Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I will hold off until I can ride a few options. Maybe another season and the pandemic shortages will ease up
Old 10-28-21, 05:43 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
When I was looking at Giant, Specialized and Trek for a new road bike I used the site 99spokes to compare my choices - I wanted what for a brief period of time was called an "endurance" bike. I also wanted disc brakes - for loaded touring and the hilly riding I do, at my weight rim brakes were always marginal especially in any rain.

I didn't see much difference in price (less than 10% difference) between those three brands for the same quality frame/wheels/groupset, where most of the dollars go. Hard to compare the frames or the wheels, though - all now using in house wheels and say very different things about their own carbon layup.

It came down to test riding all three - I ended up going with a Trek Domane on how the ride felt. Some of that feel could have been slight difference in geometry or frame material or the shock absorption - or it could have been me having 20 years of good experience on my Trek 520 touring bike and I was biased towards Trek. But, really didn't see much of a brand price premium on apples to apples comparison.
Old 10-28-21, 05:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Neither the Emonda nor the Tarmac have shock absorption.
I think it's a pricepoint model tiering thing IMO. Trek SL6 -- whether it be Domane or Emonda will fall about the same price. Specialized "Sport" models whether Roubaix or Tarmac will be the same price. The shock technology adds some cost, but they aren't going to just lower the price of their Emonda and Tarmac lines as there'd be disharmony between the lineups.
Old 10-28-21, 05:50 AM
WhyFi

ah maybe you’re right. Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I will hold off until I can ride a few options. Maybe another season and the pandemic shortages will ease up
Another season and the question of rim vs disc will probably be decided for you. Frankly, I was surprised to see that Giant was still offering a rim brake build (as opposed to offering only a frameset).
Old 10-28-21, 06:11 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think it's a pricepoint model tiering thing IMO. Trek SL6 -- whether it be Domane or Emonda will fall about the same price. Specialized "Sport" models whether Roubaix or Tarmac will be the same price. The shock technology adds some cost, but they aren't going to just lower the price of their Emonda and Tarmac lines as there'd be disharmony between the lineups.
So having unique features on one model in the line-up means raising the price on other models in the line-up, effectively getting in to price competition with themselves, instead of with their competitors? Can't argue with that logic.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-28-21, 06:15 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
If you’re dying for rim brakes I have the perfect bike for you…
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 10-28-21, 06:25 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
The way the bike fits should be the deciding factor. Most people are brand loyal, so don't get caught into that trap. All three brands you named are of good quality, and the models are all comparatively priced based on components. Although I favor rim brakes you may find that you like disc brakes. The additional stopping power in the rain is a bonus, however you stated you do not ride in the rain so it makes no difference to you. Rim or disc, get the bike that fits your body best.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-28-21, 06:39 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Resale?

I'm thinking Giant might have a lower resale value..maybe that's just me, though probably not.
Old 10-28-21, 06:40 AM
bampilot06

FOMO is real, and buying a rim brake bike you might regret, especially in 5 years if all that is sold are disc brake bikes.

If you are not affected by FOMO then disregard this message.
Old 10-28-21, 06:52 AM
bampilot06

take a look at bike insights or geometry geeks. Compare the three bikes you like, the tarmac and the tcr will be more aggressive than the emonda. All three are more aggressive than an endurance bike.
Old 10-28-21, 06:55 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
You can take the "why pay more" question even further. Why buy a new Trek, Spec or Giant when you can get a nice steel frame bike with indexed downtube shifters off Craigslist for pennies on the dollar compared to what a new bike costs? In the end, they're all just bikes that have to be pedaled and you only have the engine that you have; regardless of what you're riding. That said, how you feel about what you ride and how it makes you feel is an experience only you can define. Buy the one that speaks to you and makes you think about riding it every possible day you can, regardless of cost. Because, all that's important is the experience and benefits riding provides for the body and soul. Cycling isn't a math problem, buy the bike you truly desire and you'll soon forget what you paid and you'll never, ever regret it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.