Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Clip on Aero bar brake levers

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 11-12-21, 08:10 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

This is my first post here. Just installed clip on Aero bars on my road bike. It has Shimano 105 sti shifters on the drop bar, is it possible to add brake levers on the aero bars and run both sets of levers?

Dave
Old 11-13-21, 02:47 AM
wchevron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
This is my first post here. Just installed clip on Aero bars on my road bike. It has Shimano 105 sti shifters on the drop bar, is it possible to add brake levers on the aero bars and run both sets of levers?

Dave
No you can't. With standard aerobars, not clip-ons, you would mount shifters at the end of the bar so when in aero, you can shift without taking your hands off the bar.
Old 11-13-21, 06:10 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171

Dave
Originally Posted by wchevron
No you can't. With standard aerobars, not clip-ons, you would mount shifters at the end of the bar so when in aero, you can shift without taking your hands off the bar.
Bummer, figured this might be the answer. Guess I'll have to ride it as is. It does feel pretty fast though 😊
Old 11-13-21, 11:15 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
With STI's not sure. Back in the day there were bar top brake levers for while climbing or something I thought, a dual set. But you could mount normal base bar brake levers in the ends of the extensions instead and run dual levers. Likely would be a mess to setup.

IMO this is just one of those inconveniences of clip ons as a really good budget item but not the 100% best thing. Not worth the complexity IMO to do it.

You have to think, since you can't shift from the clip ons braking doesn't gain you much as you'd have to get out anyway to shift from having braked. The remote brakes would really just be an "oh no!" emergency kind of thing versus useful.

If you own a Di2 or other electronic shifting road bike though, folks do mount remote shifters to the clip on extensions............making it a really slick setup.
Old 11-13-21, 01:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Braking works much better when your hands are far apart enough to provide lateral stability. I've had aero bars on most of my bikes for decades, and I find I spend much less time in the aero position out on the road than I expected to. Straight road, no hills, little or no traffic, and I'm on the aero bars, but that ends up being much less than 50% of each road ride.
Old 11-15-21, 09:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Braking works much better when your hands are far apart enough to provide lateral stability. I've had aero bars on most of my bikes for decades, and I find I spend much less time in the aero position out on the road than I expected to. Straight road, no hills, little or no traffic, and I'm on the aero bars, but that ends up being much less than 50% of each road ride.
It is by no means an excuse to not be equally as careful as I was before, but once I got my Garmin Varia radar this changed for me. Years back before owning it, on the TT bike that was me. It had to be pretty flat, low traffic, and straight. I got the radar and could be more aware of vehicular traffic I was able to stay in the extensions a lot more.

It's probably not necessary totally to increase the time spend from like 50% to 75% or 95% in aero for that training stimulus, but it's just more fun to go fast.
Likes For burnthesheep: