Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Knee Pain and Joint Health

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Knee Pain and Joint Health

Old 12-04-21, 06:41 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I just want to add I'm a big supporter of glucosamine + chondroitin supplements. Even though it's marketed towards seniors, I started using it because I like heavy powerlifting, especially deadlifts (sumo and conventional) and barbell squats when not cycling. Though I found the same joint relief and repair benefits also help when riding a bike. It allows me to pound out some hard out of saddle hill climb sprints and high cadence spinning. I can feel the supplements kick-in within a week and my recovery time is much faster. Usually when I run out of the stuff and don't replenish right away, I can feel my joints taking longer to recover. On top of that just having good sleep so your body can repair itself. For food I like to eat anything that has collagen or will help on collagen production.
Old 12-04-21, 07:52 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
My personal physician told me that (in his experience) glucosamine/chondroitin supplements help about half of the patients who try it and that you have not really completed 'trying it' until you have taken it for at least 3 months.

I was in the half who get no benefit. I have a sister who finds it quite helpful.

dave
Old 12-06-21, 05:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
My personal physician told me that (in his experience) glucosamine/chondroitin supplements help about half of the patients who try it and that you have not really completed 'trying it' until you have taken it for at least 3 months.

I was in the half who get no benefit. I have a sister who finds it quite helpful.

dave
I'll add a caveat to that - I've looked at a lot of studies. The ones which found no benefit all used glucosamine hydrochloride. The ones which found at least some benefit all used glucosamine sulfate. There's a decent chance that it's just the sulfur. I haven't found a study which found chondroitin beneficial. Agree about the length of time. Joint stuff takes time. I've been using the sulfate form for 40 years or so. My knees are fine. I had a meniscus repair, but that's not the knee's fault. I've also been taking MSM for the past 10 years.

It's one of those things - the possible result of not taking it can be a lot worse than the result of taking it and it doing nothing, especially when the result you want to see is . . .nothing.