Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Burlingron Vt

Old 12-05-21, 07:53 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Burlingron Vt

I just saw a you tuber showing trails in Vermont, one of which is the longest trail over water. Has anyone been on this or other trails is the area? Thanks
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 12-05-21, 09:43 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
The Island Line Trail?
Likes For bktourer1:
Old 12-05-21, 01:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I rode from North Beach in town to the part where the bridge was removed long ago. It was a September weekday so the free shuttle was not running. This was this year. And yes, it’s called the Island Line Trail. Maybe a half mile is on very quiet streets heading north to the causeway. The trail continues for a few miles on the other side of the missing bridge.

Hard to see, but there is a Great Blue Herron in one photo and a Snowy Egret in another.

There is also this starting in St. Albans, which is about 30 miles north of Burlington:

https://www.mvrailtrail.org/

I rode some of it way back in 2010. It was ok. I have a tour planned for next year that includes its entire length.

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-05-21 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-21, 05:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
would love to spend more time there during fair weather

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...ine-trail.html
Old 12-06-21, 07:11 AM
indyfabz

When I rode through Burlington and stayed there for two days in 2018 the causeway part of the trail was closed due to damage from a freak June storm. At least I got to ride part of it this year.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-06-21, 04:45 PM
bktourer1

In planning stages right now on riding from Rensselaer to Rouses Point and the to Burlington to south again to Whitehall to Rensselaer.
Planning on using the Mohawk Hudson to Champlain Trail all the way to the border. Rt. 2 South to Burlington. May take a ferry back to Plattsburgh and sought again
Still in planning stages. Motels & camping and maybe Warmshowers hosts.
Likes For bktourer1:
Old 12-07-21, 04:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by bktourer1
In planning stages right now on riding from Rensselaer to Rouses Point and the to Burlington to south again to Whitehall to Rensselaer.
Planning on using the Mohawk Hudson to Champlain Trail all the way to the border. Rt. 2 South to Burlington. May take a ferry back to Plattsburgh and south again
there's a campground at North Beach on the lake in Burly. but I don't know if it's open year round. when are you thinking of doing it?
Old 12-08-21, 05:35 AM
bktourer1

Been to North Beach before. Thinking of middle of May, early June
Old 12-08-21, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

It will be open. I stayed there around that time in 2018 during a tour.

Note they now have 3 Adirondack shelters. They are pretty big. Worth the extra $$ in case you get rain. It poured the first night into the morning when I was there in 2018, and it was chilly and windy. Wish I had had a shelter. A lot of VT state parks also have Adirondack shelters. IIRC, a premium one (one with a good view or near a body of water) is only $5 more for non-residents. (At Half Moon Pond S.P. one was $27 for residents and $32 for non-residents.)

Here is the one I stayed in at North Beach this year:

BTW...Crossing over to Swanton and coming down the east side of the lake might offer more quiet riding as U.S. 2 is the only through route through the isles. And St. Albans Town park is a really nice place for a break.

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-08-21 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-21, 08:58 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It will be open. I stayed there around that time in 2018 during a tour.

Note they now have 3 Adirondack shelters. They are pretty big. Worth the extra $$ in case you get rain. It poured the first night into the morning when I was there in 2018, and it was chilly and windy. Wish I had had a shelter. A lot of VT state parks also have Adirondack shelters. IIRC, a premium one (one with a good view or near a body of water) is only $5 more for non-residents. (At Half Moon Pond S.P. one was $27 for residents and $32 for non-residents.)

Here is the one I stayed in at North Beach this year:

BTW...Crossing over to Swanton and coming down the east side of the lake might offer more quiet riding as U.S. 2 is the only through route through the isles. And St. Albans Town park is a really nice place for a break.
Is that a Quarter Dome SL2?
Old 12-08-21, 09:02 AM
bktourer1

We had a bike and hike trip there a few years ago. We had the group area and had to hike to the toilets and get water.
The group area had no shelters, but this was 6-7 years ago. Primary route was to be Empire Trail Rouses Point, motel, then head south on 2 to Burlington
I have an out from Plattsburgh to South Hero to 2 via ferry if the weather turns.
Old 12-08-21, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by autonomy
Is that a Quarter Dome SL2?
It is. I bought it more for flat touring, saving the BA Fly Creek UL 2 for hillier routes, but then that started showing some wear. I like the side doors. I am 6' 2". Easier to get out of than the BA. Downside is that it does not pack down nearly as small as the BA.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-21, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

We had a bike and hike trip there a few years ago. We had the group area and had to hike to the toilets and get water.
The group area had no shelters, but this was 6-7 years ago. Primary route was to be Empire Trail Rouses Point, motel, then head south on 2 to Burlington
I have an out from Plattsburgh to South Hero to 2 via ferry if the weather turns.
Just suggesting lower traffic options based on my experience in the area.

And the shelters (they call them Lean Tos in VT), which I believe are relatively new, are close to the east bathrooms (but not showers).

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-21, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

sounds lovely. queue my regular plug for the Outdoor Gear Exchange on Church St which has a consignment shop in the basement. if you've been to the area, you probably already know about it? lots of college kids giving up their used stuff. a favorite stop for me, when visiting daughter, when she was in school. I got a great mirror for $5. On a trip like yours, you probably won't be looking to buy anything, but if you NEED something ...
Old 12-08-21, 09:50 AM
autonomy

It is. I bought it more for flat touring, saving the BA Fly Creek UL 2 for hillier routes, but then that started showing some wear. I like the side doors. I am 6' 2". Easier to get out of than the BA. Downside is that it does not pack down nearly as small as the BA.
So, I ask because I'm looking to go on a trip and I got an end-of-season barely used one from a REI garage sale where I had to replace a coupe of broken poles. I like how light it is even compared to the BA Copper Spur HV UL2 but you're right about it not packing small, namely, the poles are long. So I have 3 questions - how do you carry it on the bike? And do you use a footprint - the floor seems quite fragile? Looks like it worked really well in that shelter, but what did you do about the stakes at the side where the black pole is, did you just not bother?
Old 12-08-21, 12:18 PM
indyfabz

So, I ask because I'm looking to go on a trip and I got an end-of-season barely used one from a REI garage sale where I had to replace a coupe of broken poles. I like how light it is even compared to the BA Copper Spur HV UL2 but you're right about it not packing small, namely, the poles are long. So I have 3 questions - how do you carry it on the bike? And do you use a footprint - the floor seems quite fragile? Looks like it worked really well in that shelter, but what did you do about the stakes at the side where the black pole is, did you just not bother?
I carry it strapped to my rear rack parallel With the bike. (I will post a photo from my phone in a bit.) It hangs much further over the end of the rack than the Fly Creek.

I carry a 4'x8' or so blue, plastic tarp. Unless I am pitched on soft soil with lush grass, which is rarely, I use that as a groundsheet.

I don't bother when I am under a shelter. I stake it out fully when I am not, but if the weather is going to be decent and I don't feel I need privacy I will skip the fly. I did that 2 out of the 8 nights I camped without a shelter during my two-week September trip. It was either cold or wet/possibly wet the other 6 nights.

In comparison, the Fly Creek doesn't even reach the end of the rear rack, with sloppy tarp fold notwithstanding. I stayed in a hotel the night before I started that trip and didn't bother doing a better job of folding the tarp. I am usually not that sloppy, but I had a long train ride the day before and got up really early because I had a 65 mile day on the GAP ahead of me.

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-08-21 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-21, 01:37 PM
autonomy

Cool, thanks! That looks like a very reasonable option for it. I've read reports from bikepackers who carry tents strapped to their handlebars - this one is too long - or splitting them up and either strapping or carrying the poles only on their top tube. REI makes a bikepacking seat bag that has dedicated straps for tent poles https://bikepacking.com/gear/rei-bikepacking-bags/.
Anyway, that's a digression. Always great to see touring/bikepacking pictures, especially if they're from nearby (NE).

I carry it strapped to my rear rack parallel With the bike. (I will post a photo from my phone in a bit.) It hangs much further over the end of the rack than the Fly Creek.

I carry a 4'x8' or so blue, plastic tarp. Unless I am pitched on soft soil with lush grass, which is rarely, I use that as a groundsheet.

I don't bother when I am under a shelter. I stake it out fully when I am not, but if the weather is going to be decent and I don't feel I need privacy I will skip the fly. I did that 2 out of the 8 nights I camped without a shelter during my two-week September trip. It was either cold or wet/possibly wet the other 6 nights.

In comparison, the Fly Creek doesn't even reach the end of the rear rack, with sloppy tarp fold notwithstanding. I stayed in a hotel the night before I started that trip and didn't bother doing a better job of folding the tarp. I am usually not that sloppy, but I had a long train ride the day before and got up really early because I had a 65 mile day on the GAP ahead of me.

Old 12-09-21, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

Always great to see touring/bikepacking pictures, especially if they're from nearby (NE).
That trip was from St. Albans, VT home to Philly. A few changes to the route and overnight locations aside, it was a reprise of a trip I did on 2018. I went to high school at Deerfield Academy in Deerfield, MA. 2018 was my 35th reunion. Started in St. Albans, spent the weekend in Deerfield for the reunion activities and then continued on home.

I had been taking two-week tours in MT and MT and ID over the last several years, but the pandemic put a stop to that in 2020. Right now I have no desire to deal with, among other things, flying out west (or anywhere, really). Planning a two-week trip in VT for early June, staying mostly at state parks. Train to Brattleboro, then heading north, ending up in St. Albans. Amtrak with a bike for that is easy.
Old 01-13-22, 11:24 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sounds lovely. queue my regular plug for the Outdoor Gear Exchange on Church St which has a consignment shop in the basement. if you've been to the area, you probably already know about it? ...
Found a vintage Ibis Hakkalugi there for $100. Too bad it was too big for me.
Likes For leob1:
Old 01-13-22, 12:00 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by leob1
oh too bad. I didn't know they sold used bikes too. I saw a Marin Muirwoods that caught my eye due to the fatter tires. I thought it was new but maybe it was an older model on discount. I think it was $600. But I know what you mean about wanting a bike but can't find it your size ;-(

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-14-22 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-13-22, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by leob1
They sold me "loose" white gas at the start of my September trip. I took Amtrak up to St. Albans on 9/11. Because of my concern over increased security at the station in Philly I did not want to travel with fuel. (There was, in fact, extra security, which included sniffing dogs.) I had called the exchange a couple of days before was told it was an option. Rode from St. Albans to Burlington and stopped by the exchange after lunch. The cashier and I went outside on the sidewalk and she filled my 32 oz. fuel bottle for $0.25/Oz. IIRC. Sure beat riding out to REI to get fuel.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-11-22, 06:52 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Planning on using the Mohawk Hudson to Champlain Trail all the way to the border. Rt. 2 South to Burlington. May take a ferry back to Plattsburgh and sought again
FYI- a short distance above Ft. Ann, NY the Empire Trail follows mostly high-speed state highways with varying shoulder widths - not fun. You may want to consider crossing over the Crown Point Bridge (very nice views) into VT and heading north from there on Lake St. and other roads that stay close to the lake. There are various back ways into/around Burlington depending on your destination. Burlington is a fun town - especially downtown and the waterfront- worth a visit.

Google Street View and Bing Maps show ground-level views of most of the roads on the VT side of the lake so you can preview the route. The Crown Point (NY), DAR (VT), and Button Bay (VT) campgrounds are all quite nice if you are camping.

Downtown Saratoga Springs is also a nice side trip if you are so inclined. It's about 13 miles over and back - each way- from where the Empire Trail passes through Schuylerville. Take Burgoyne Rd. to Meadowbrook Rd to Dyer Switch to Crescent Ave. to route 9 north ( Broadway) into downtown. Stay off route 29, route 50, and route 9p (Union Ave.)

Last edited by jlaw; 02-11-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-13-22, 08:04 AM
bktourer1

Thanks for the assists. All is still in planning and the Western side of Lake Champlain would be done with early morning starts to beat traffic
Have some side roads plotted, to beat the faster traffic.
A ferry is planned in case the weather turns.
Southbound out of Burlington camps have been routed to either Button Bay (no store nearby) or DAR which has a store before campground.
Heading south out of DAR, I may take the Crown Point bridge and go south (nothing finalized yet)
I have friends on both sides of Champlain and between motels/and friends I should be ok.
Been all over street view and have elevation charts of the Northbound
The biggest issue is the lack of bike shops north of Plattsburgh. I have all the bike shops on this route logged on my cues.
Old 02-13-22, 03:35 PM
indyfabz

Thanks for the assists. All is still in planning and the Western side of Lake Champlain would be done with early morning starts to beat traffic
Southbound out of Burlington camps have been routed to either Button Bay (no store nearby) or DAR which has a store before campground.
Heading south out of DAR, I may take the Crown Point bridge and go south (nothing finalized yet)
I have friends on both sides of Champlain and between motels/and friends I should be ok.
The biggest issue is the lack of bike shops north of Plattsburgh. I have all the bike shops on this route logged on my cues.
I camped at Button Bay SP back in 2010. Nicest grass ever. It was like camping on a well manicured golf course. Just watch out for the gulls. They like to eye up food.

There is a Shaw’s grocery store in Vergennes, about 7 mostly flat miles from the park.
Old 02-14-22, 06:23 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
FYI- a short distance above Ft. Ann, NY the Empire Trail follows mostly high-speed state highways with varying shoulder widths - not fun. You may want to consider crossing over the Crown Point Bridge (very nice views) into VT and heading north from there on Lake St. and other roads that stay close to the lake. There are various back ways into/around Burlington depending on your destination. Burlington is a fun town - especially downtown and the waterfront- worth a visit.

Google Street View and Bing Maps show ground-level views of most of the roads on the VT side of the lake so you can preview the route. The Crown Point (NY), DAR (VT), and Button Bay (VT) campgrounds are all quite nice if you are camping.

Downtown Saratoga Springs is also a nice side trip if you are so inclined. It's about 13 miles over and back - each way- from where the Empire Trail passes through Schuylerville. Take Burgoyne Rd. to Meadowbrook Rd to Dyer Switch to Crescent Ave. to route 9 north ( Broadway) into downtown. Stay off route 29, route 50, and route 9p (Union Ave.)
If you are concerned about getting stranded, the last time I checked AAA will send a vehicle for a member with a broken-down bike - could take you to a bike shop on the NY side of the lake or to the Port Kent, NY ferry to Burlington. The Ski Rack bike shop in Burlington is a few blocks up the Main St. hill from the ferry dock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.