Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift - the advantages of riding with pace partners.

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift - the advantages of riding with pace partners.

Old 12-08-21, 05:14 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I kinda mix my riding up with a handful of group rides I've found that stick to the advertised paceand don't constantly focus on the "fliers" going too fast. Who cares if 1/3 the starting group takes off and disappears?

Lots of time I just get on and ride - a nice workout since rarely in a draft but if I start day dreaming, my pace slows - lose that "don't get dropped" incentive.

Then I'll do rides with a pacer bot but since they used to be only in Watopia and generally on the same route all the time, get bored if I do that too often. But a nice way to force my natural pace up. Getting the drops multiplier is a visual indicator to stay near the pacer bot but once I upgraded my bike and wheels, the drops are pretty useless. I think in 5 years of Zwifting I've only worn 2 different jerseys, (not counting the ones group rides put on you) and the same gloves and socks. They stay clean - Zwift must wash them for me between rides...

I'll throw in a few group workout rides - I really like the "Orange Unicorn" over/under group workout.

What I really like is those big mega group rides where thousands of riders get on. I'll start out riding at the pace I'd like to hold and inevitably I'll find a smaller group congealing near that w/kg and we'll stick together for the rest of the event.
Old 12-08-21, 05:18 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Stupid Zwift question - how do I find a Pace partner? I looked around last night, but couldn't find where to ride with one, so I just started solo. (or are they simply encountered on a route, than you stick with them?)

While I'm asking dumb questions - who do some riders have a small ghosted screen in front of their handlebars?
Old 12-08-21, 06:39 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
Stupid Zwift question - how do I find a Pace partner? I looked around last night, but couldn't find where to ride with one, so I just started solo. (or are they simply encountered on a route, than you stick with them?)
At the main menu where you select the world to ride in, at the bottom there's a list of riders you can join (under "Join another Zwiftter?"). In certain worlds (Watopia and Makuri Island) you'll also find the pace partners in this list.

Originally Posted by Warbird21
While I'm asking dumb questions - who do some riders have a small ghosted screen in front of their handlebars?
They're doing workouts.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 12-08-21, 07:11 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Getting the drops multiplier is a visual indicator to stay near the pacer bot but once I upgraded my bike and wheels, the drops are pretty useless. I think in 5 years of Zwifting I've only worn 2 different jerseys, (not counting the ones group rides put on you) and the same gloves and socks. They stay clean - Zwift must wash them for me between rides...
For others that happen upon this thread, that are new to Zwift, “drops” are only used for bikes and wheel sets. Jerseys, gloves, shoes, socks, etc are gained by progressing through levels, or by completing certain rides. Some jerseys are free, you just have to type in a an “unlock” code to get them.
Old 12-09-21, 06:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
For others that happen upon this thread, that are new to Zwift, “drops” are only used for bikes and wheel sets. Jerseys, gloves, shoes, socks, etc are gained by progressing through levels, or by completing certain rides. Some jerseys are free, you just have to type in a an “unlock” code to get them.
Now you just go to the "garage" in the Zwift app and see all the stuff you have earned and you can outfit yourself or "buy" new stuff with drops - I don't think I've used an unlock code in a long time.

Not really something I do much, but that is what is cool about Zwift: it has features for racers, gear-heads, "kit"-heads, slow riders, workout-only cyclists, all kinds of stuff.
Old 12-09-21, 06:54 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

The unlock codes are for special jerseys, you won't see them in your garage unless you know the specific code to enter.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 12-09-21, 05:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,598 Times in 5,944 Posts
I did a race on Zwift last night, and it turns out the time spent riding with Coco paid off! The race was 29 miles and I ended up riding in a group with 5 other Ds and a C pretty much the whole way at Coco power levels. I spent the almost the whole time 2nd-5th wheel with as little time on the front as I could get away with. I might have won if I had attacked on the final climb instead of on the following descent.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-09-21, 05:40 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I did a race on Zwift last night, and it turns out the time spent riding with Coco paid off! The race was 29 miles and I ended up riding in a group with 5 other Ds and a C pretty much the whole way at Coco power levels. I spent the almost the whole time 2nd-5th wheel with as little time on the front as I could get away with. I might have won if I had attacked on the final climb instead of on the following descent.
That’s awesome!!! Many times in races on Zwift, I will end up in a small group (3-6) of riders, and when I try and “take my turn at the front”, someone almost immediately pours on the power to overtake me, then maintains the original group speed. Hey, I tried, right? I used to feel guilty sitting on a wheel the whole race until the final sprint, but no more.
Old 12-09-21, 05:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

That’s awesome!!! Many times in races on Zwift, I will end up in a small group (3-6) of riders, and when I try and “take my turn at the front”, someone almost immediately pours on the power to overtake me, then maintains the original group speed. Hey, I tried, right? I used to feel guilty sitting on a wheel the whole race until the final sprint, but no more.
Yeah, I notice that. It's hard to stay on the front, but that's a good way to push the pace. Unless you really go hard you won't find yourself off the front for long, and once they've caught you, you can sit in.

Old 12-10-21, 02:27 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
I rode with C. Cadence yesterday. is that Coco? any way, was in the muir woods and needed my towel after about a half hour of riding but was just outside my reach. i waited until i got to the top of the hill with the pace partner about 8 meters back, got my towel and it passed me and i could never catch up again. man that was fast, i was a bit shocked because i was pumping out over 8w/kg at one point and could not catch up to the group. when in the group in the desert flats area we were hauling @ss...about 40kph. once i was alone i looked at my same power level and was only at 20ish kph. what a huge difference.

lesson learned...have towel at the ready.
Old 12-10-21, 02:35 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I rode with C. Cadence yesterday. is that Coco? any way, was in the muir woods and needed my towel after about a half hour of riding but was just outside my reach. i waited until i got to the top of the hill with the pace partner about 8 meters back, got my towel and it passed me and i could never catch up again. man that was fast, i was a bit shocked because i was pumping out over 8w/kg at one point and could not catch up to the group. when in the group in the desert flats area we were hauling @ss...about 40kph. once i was alone i looked at my same power level and was only at 20ish kph. what a huge difference.

lesson learned...have towel at the ready.
If you're going to take a second to reach for something, do it on the uphill - much easier to catch up because she takes an easy pace up and the benefit of the draft isn't so pronounced.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-11-21, 01:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you're going to take a second to reach for something, do it on the uphill - much easier to catch up because she takes an easy pace up and the benefit of the draft isn't so pronounced.
Yeah, they're hard to keep up with downhill, because they keep on pushing the same power, which is not something cyclists do IRL.

Old 12-11-21, 07:49 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
i rode an entire lap with C.Cadence yesterday. it was a good but actually really difficult to keep my pace correct on the descent.

later i decided to give B.Brevet a go, joined just before the beginning of the climb up the volcano. now that descent was really tough. I do not usually push myself down that like i did yesterday. got a PR though not surprising. after 10 miles of that i was pretty much toast. one thing i found interesting was that on the flat with the C group we were moving at about 4okph and with the B group about the same on the flat. bit of a surprise becasue it was about 0.7 w/kg more if i recall. but the C group was huge in comparison. could not even try to count the C groop, the B group maybe 20-30?
Old 12-11-21, 08:47 PM
WhyFi

i rode an entire lap with C.Cadence yesterday. it was a good but actually really difficult to keep my pace correct on the descent.

later i decided to give B.Brevet a go, joined just before the beginning of the climb up the volcano. now that descent was really tough. I do not usually push myself down that like i did yesterday. got a PR though not surprising. after 10 miles of that i was pretty much toast. one thing i found interesting was that on the flat with the C group we were moving at about 4okph and with the B group about the same on the flat. bit of a surprise becasue it was about 0.7 w/kg more if i recall. but the C group was huge in comparison. could not even try to count the C groop, the B group maybe 20-30?
Yeah, it's something like a .7 w/kg jump between the two, but it's actually more than it sounds - Cadence is lighter and puts out significantly less power than Brevet, so the flats are really tame as long you don't get detached. Also, she doesn't do much climbing, so her w/kg doesn't matter as much as her absolute power, which is somewhere in the 160w range, IIRC.
Old 12-14-21, 08:13 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, it's something like a .7 w/kg jump between the two, but it's actually more than it sounds - Cadence is lighter and puts out significantly less power than Brevet, so the flats are really tame as long you don't get detached. Also, she doesn't do much climbing, so her w/kg doesn't matter as much as her absolute power, which is somewhere in the 160w range, IIRC.
Although I always ride off from the front of the C Pace Partner unless I am mindful of the gradients, It seems like a huge jump to me to hang on the the B rider group. I guess because its near or closer to my threshold power-- but after 15 minutes I am toast.

I wish there was a C+ or B- option.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 12-14-21, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I wonder if, because Zwift is actually running on your computer and they only tell you about (IIRC) the 100 closest riders for your rig to render, maybe the group is even larger than we think it is? I dunno, but you're right, the C group is huge.

Old 12-14-21, 12:26 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Though there are exceptions, I find that "pulling" works differently on zwift. going in and out of the draft has a different feel than than IRL, and unlike IRL, you can find yourself on the front without deciding to go there. Likewise, you can be overtaken by people who aren't necessarily intending to do that. So if I'm with a group that is pushing the pace, one of us is surging ahead a little in bursts that last maybe 10 seconds or so. If the group has some spirit, this works. If there's only one person trying to push the pace, it kind of falls flat.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-14-21, 12:55 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Having pace partners on routes with actual terrain is a game changer for me. I like riding with C.Cadence, but had gotten tired of the flat route on Watopia (plus it's not advancing my Tron bike quest), so I kind of gave up on them. I haven't spent much time in the Makuri Island world, but was free riding this morning and stumbled upon the D group. I was shocked to see them going up on one of the KOM's. The D group was really slow on that climb so I ended up riding off the front, but I will definitely look for the C group next time that world is up.
Old 12-14-21, 01:04 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I'm of two minds about coco and climbing. I liked it when she always rode pancake-flat Tempus Fugit. It was easy for the group to stay together and if people wanted to go off the front, the Reverse Fuego Flat sprint was there to help them.

OTOH, like msu2001la , I'm gradually chasing the Tron bike (I'm at about 125,000' just now- wish I had known about the challenge a year earlier) and Tempus Fugit won't get me there. Also, I like the challenge of the rolling hills in the sequoia grove. But if you're on the faster side of coco's group, the hills break up the group. And as people have posted here, if you are on the slower side, you get dropped on them.
Old 12-14-21, 01:05 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by redcon1
Although I always ride off from the front of the C Pace Partner unless I am mindful of the gradients, It seems like a huge jump to me to hang on the the B rider group. I guess because its near or closer to my threshold power-- but after 15 minutes I am toast.

I wish there was a C+ or B- option.
yeah, thats' me also. I have to really want to volunteer for the pain cave if I'm going to try to hang with Bowie for an extended period.
Old 12-14-21, 01:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4835 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
In certain worlds (Watopia and Makuri Island) you'll also find the pace partners in this list.
Good to know that the bots are in the Makuri Islands world, too. I've been getting a bit bored with C-bot in the desert.
Old 12-14-21, 01:34 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Wish I had been given that advice when I started. I didn't select the Everest Challenge until I was level 20 something. I STILL don't have the Tron bike (but I'm getting closer).
This 1000%.
When I first jumped on Zwift (late fall 2020), I wrongly assumed the Tron bike prize was based on total elevation in the game, and not specific to the Everest challenge. I therefore signed up for the "Ride California" challenge. I was probably 600 miles into that challenge when I learned that none of the climbing counted towards unlocking the Tron bike. I finished up the California challenge anyway, got the S-Works Tarmac SL-7 (which is a cool bike, but also very similar to the Canyon Aeroad that I had already purchased), and then switched to the Everest challenge. I haven't really targeted climbing specifically and am just inching my way closer.

As of today, I'm at 65,789ft, roughly 40% of the way there. Just under 100k ft of climbing to go. I thought I could get there by next spring, but I've only been averaging around 5,000ft a week, so unless I really focus on climbing (which can get boring) it's probably not happening until next winter. My total elevation gain in the game is 144,672ft, so if I had selected Everest right off the bat I'd be unlocking the Tron bike in 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-14-21, 01:46 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by msu2001la
This 1000%.
When I first jumped on Zwift (late fall 2020), I wrongly assumed the Tron bike prize was based on total elevation in the game, and not specific to the Everest challenge. I therefore signed up for the "Ride California" challenge. I was probably 600 miles into that challenge when I learned that none of the climbing counted towards unlocking the Tron bike. I finished up the California challenge anyway, got the S-Works Tarmac SL-7 (which is a cool bike, but also very similar to the Canyon Aeroad that I had already purchased), and then switched to the Everest challenge. I haven't really targeted climbing specifically and am just inching my way closer.
Ha, *exactly* the same experience. I found out about unlocking the Tron when I was 80% done with California, so I just stuck with it. Upon finishing, which was less than two weeks ago, I've been concentrating on climbing, aiming for 600-1000m per ride, and hoping to have it unlocked by spring.
Old 12-14-21, 02:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Following slowly this thread. Not being familiar with CoCo or Zwift or any of the aps out there I find it very, very interesting. It would appear that you can have an exciting ride and remain stationary. WOW... That's a good thing for those days you are grounded. Having a pacer, and being able to log your expenditure too... What Fun...

I am embarrassed to say that on my Geezer rides the only pacer I have is that fat young lady down the street chasing me on foot with her ear buds, cell phone, water bottle and squeaky tight spandex... Look Out! She's coming up on your six...
Old 01-03-22, 03:28 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I rode with C. Cadence on Makuri Islands flat route last week, just thought I'd share my thoughts -

Effort-wise it's somewhat trickier to manage than C. Cadence on Watopia's Tempus Fugit, but easier than the lumpy one that goes through the dinosaur grove. It still has the same challenges going uphill and downhill as all the other routes. I tried to keep about 20-ish meters (65ft) distance ahead of the pace partner but even just going up a short hill (i.e. the rise heading into the onsen village), I can very quickly outpace them and get the "Let C. Cadence catch up" warning message which usually happens around 35-40m. Then the long downhill after the castle I have to increase my effort significantly or else I risk getting dropped by them.

In terms of ride feel and effort it's like a counter-intuitive group ride to me. It's mostly a tempo ride, but climbing up to the onsen village, I have to take it easy (sometimes very easy, dropping into Z1 efforts) just to make sure I don't leave them behind and lose my drops multiplier. Then rolling downhill after the castle it's a high cadence interval at above threshold efforts to keep them at bay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.