Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use an Amtrak bike box as checked luggage on an airline?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anyone ever use an Amtrak bike box as checked luggage on an airline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
cool beans! gives me idears for a couple new touring threads.

1. what be the most interesting/significant/offbeat pop culture sights you've visited while on tour?
2. what's on your touring bucket list?!
I’ve ridden past the Rock &Roll Hall of Fame, the Burmis Tree in Alberta, the world’s largest purple spoon in East Glacier, MT and the giant statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox in Bemidji, MN. Spent a night in Grand Rapids, MN, but did not visit the Judy Garland Museum. (She was born in Grand Rapids.) Spent a night in Dyersville, IA, but it was way too hot to ride out to the Field of Dreams. I’ve still never seen the film. But I did spend some time at the falls Leo floats down in The Revenant. They are outside of Libby, MT.
Old 01-01-22, 12:39 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Field of Dreams, Dyersville, IA

Sac City, IA-- How did you miss this?

Clown Doll Museum- Plainview, NE

Judy Garland's house - Grand Rapids, MN

Last edited by Doug64; 01-01-22 at 03:33 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 01-01-22, 01:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
cool beans! gives me idears for a couple new touring threads.

1. what be the most interesting/significant/offbeat pop culture sights you've visited while on tour?
Not much to see here.

Old 01-01-22, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Doug64
Dyersville, IA

Sac City, IA-- How did you miss this?

Judy Garland- Grand Rapids, MN
It was around 100 degrees when we pulled into Dyersville. None of our group of 13 had any interest under those conditions.

Don’t think we passed the popcorn ball. We were on ACA’s Northern Tier Route. That would have been neat to see. Had a day off in Davenport, IA. I took a ride to the John Deere Center in Moline, IL, and got to climb in equipment on display, including a giant combine.

I read that several years ago the pair of ruby slippers that had been stolen from the museum and had been missing for many years were recovered. IIRC, they were one of three pairs that had been made for filming.

Spent a night in Rugby, ND. There is a man made monolith there marking the approximate center of North America.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-01-22 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 04:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Spent a night in Rugby, ND. There is a man made monolith there marking the approximate center of North America.
We were driving home after a week of car camping while mountain biking on the Maah Daah Hey trail. I saw a sign announcing that we could stop and look at it. We did not stop, but I snapped a photo as we drove past. I just cropped the photo so it is easier to see.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-10-22, 11:01 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Southwest Airlines and bicycles?

Originally Posted by kevmcd
The Amtrak bicycle boxes are wonderful: inexpensive, large and rugged and readily available at the end of your tour (at least in the US in major metropolitan areas)

One of the ambiguous details is the maximum allowable dimension/s for oversize luggage. It must be less than 115". The baggage claim agent thought this is the maximum on any axis rather than the sum of the length, width and breadth. I find it hard to believe they would allow an oversize cube 115" on a side even if it was less than 50lbs but I didn't want to argue with them and pretend I knew more than they did.

I recently received the official dimensions of the Amtrak bike box

Bicycle Box: Size 70 in x 41 in x 8.5 in (175cm x 104cm x 22cm)

So the sum of the 3 dimensions is 119.5" which is greater than the 115" number I received from the baggage claim agent. If I am desperate I might consider cutting an Amtrak box down by 5" if it would get my bike on the plane.......

Does the 115" baggage maximum only apply to only SOME airlines or it it some sort of industry regulated standard? I cannot find any mention of a 115" linear dimension standard on Southwest airlines. I would like to check by bicycle in an AMTRAK Box on a flight this upcoming May. It would be about 50 lbs. and 120 (rounded) linear inches. SWA public policy is confusing as subject to more than one interpretation. ..... "The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight AND 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper". (capitalization added by author)

I have called SWA twice and received two different interpretations. One help agent interpreted as bicycles EITHER over 100 lbs OR 81 inches would not be accepted. Another interpreted it as bicycle BOTH over 100 lbs. AND 81 inches would not be accepted. I have personally shipped a boxed box (last November) that was just under 50 lbs. and 91linear inches with no problem for a fee of $75. The box was accepted as checked baggage at the counter as was not weighed or measured.

Anybody have any insights or experiences with SWA?

Thanks...
Old 03-10-22, 12:16 PM
indyfabz

I'd say that if it is within the listed weight range it will be exempt from overweight fees. If it is within the size range it will be exempt from the oversize fee. In other words, I think the policy could result in a passenger getting charged one fee but not the other. E.G., A 150 lb. bike in a 75 inch (total dimensions) box would be charged an overweight fee but not an oversize fee.
Old 03-10-22, 12:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by KFC
...I have personally shipped a boxed box (last November) that was just under 50 lbs. and 91linear inches with no problem for a fee of $75. The box was accepted as checked baggage at the counter as was not weighed or measured.
I have not flown Southwest for four years, when I flew them my bike was in a S&S case that met the 62 inch limit. So, my experience is not directly applicable.

Your bike probably was weighed without you realizing it.

Every airline is different when it comes to the maximum size they will accept. Looks like Southwest is 80 inches.

I pasted this from Southwest site, checked baggage section where I clicked on "full details":

Weight and Size Allowance
Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

I am surprised that only one extra charge of $75 is charged if it is both overweight and also oversize. But that is what it appears to be.

I think you got lucky on the 91 inches. Perhaps it was not a very busy day? But airlines are much more likely to focus on the weight than the size. I have never seen a ticketing agent pull out a tape measure, but the scale clearly reads out in pounds (or outside USA, in kg).

That said, looks like since you were already paying the $75 oversize fee, that it could have been 99 pounds and not generate another fee. So, if it was over 50 pounds they probably were silent on that.

If I was you, I would try to get down to 80 inches or at least closer to it, just in case the plane is full when you want to fly.
Old 03-11-22, 07:05 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC
Does the 115" baggage maximum only apply to only SOME airlines or it it some sort of industry regulated standard? I cannot find any mention of a 115" linear dimension standard on Southwest airlines. I would like to check by bicycle in an AMTRAK Box on a flight this upcoming May. It would be about 50 lbs. and 120 (rounded) linear inches. SWA public policy is confusing as subject to more than one interpretation. ..... "The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight AND 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper". (capitalization added by author)

I have called SWA twice and received two different interpretations. One help agent interpreted as bicycles EITHER over 100 lbs OR 81 inches would not be accepted. Another interpreted it as bicycle BOTH over 100 lbs. AND 81 inches would not be accepted. I have personally shipped a boxed box (last November) that was just under 50 lbs. and 91linear inches with no problem for a fee of $75. The box was accepted as checked baggage at the counter as was not weighed or measured.

Thanks...
I had the same situation a few years ago with interpreting United's policy at that time. I ended up going out to the airport a few weeks early at the same approximate time that the plane was to leave and talked with the senior check in agent as I figured if there was a discrepancy, that is who I would be speaking with come the actual check in time. I got my answer and her name and noted the time and date. Sure enough, when I got to the airport with my unboxed but padded and taped bike, I had to speak with the same senior agent who remembered me and approved my bike "packing". They wheeled the bike out and it arrived fine in Calgary for my next adventure.

My point is that it might be worth a trip out to the airport to see what the actual decision maker says.

Tailwinds, John
Old 03-11-22, 09:19 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC

Thanks...
I googled "southwest airlines oversize baggage 115" " and multiple websites said Southwest accepts oversize baggage up to 115" but none of these websites were official Southwest Airlines websites. It is confusing.

Their baggage policy is a good deal. I have used Southwest for rental car camping trips and checked a duffle bag and cooler packed with gear plus took a standard size carry-on onboard. I haven't tried taking a bicycle on Southwest.
Old 03-12-22, 04:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by kevmcd
Their baggage policy is a good deal. I have used Southwest for rental car camping trips and checked a duffle bag and cooler packed with gear plus took a standard size carry-on onboard. I haven't tried taking a bicycle on Southwest.
Agree on Southwest having a good luggage policy. Last time I flew with them was four years ago. In the photo below the brown duffel on a wheely cart was one of my checked bags, my other checked bag was my folding bike in the S&S Backpack case, which I am wearing. Both checked bags flew for free. The yellow smaller duffle was my carry on. My camping gear was in the brown checked duffel, the trip was for a week long van supported bike trip, the van hauled our camping gear on that trip.

It is hard to see that I am wearing the S&S Backpack case because it is black and against a dark background.

That trip on Southwest was when Delta, American and United still had exorbitant oversize fees for bikes, so that made Southwest even a better deal than now. I flew with two others on that trip, they both shipped their bikes using Bike Flights, but since my folding bike could fly for free, that is the option I picked.

I live in Madison Wisc, I wish that Southwest flew in and out of my community airport, to fly Southwest requires a long drive or bus ride to the Milwaukee airport.
Old 03-12-22, 05:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have not flown Southwest for four years, when I flew them my bike was in a S&S case that met the 62 inch limit. So, my experience is not directly applicable.

Your bike probably was weighed without you realizing it.

Every airline is different when it comes to the maximum size they will accept. Looks like Southwest is 80 inches.

I pasted this from Southwest site, checked baggage section where I clicked on "full details":

Weight and Size Allowance
Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

I am surprised that only one extra charge of $75 is charged if it is both overweight and also oversize. But that is what it appears to be.

I think you got lucky on the 91 inches. Perhaps it was not a very busy day? But airlines are much more likely to focus on the weight than the size. I have never seen a ticketing agent pull out a tape measure, but the scale clearly reads out in pounds (or outside USA, in kg).

That said, looks like since you were already paying the $75 oversize fee, that it could have been 99 pounds and not generate another fee. So, if it was over 50 pounds they probably were silent on that.

If I was you, I would try to get down to 80 inches or at least closer to it, just in case the plane is full when you want to fly.
I agree that it would be wise to heed the 80" limit. They seldom pull out a tape measure at the gate, but they could and there really isn't much reason to take the chance unless you have a bike that won't pack that small like maybe some tandem or recumbents.. If exceeding the 80" limit then definitely stay under the 50# limit and under 115".

I think that for any fairly normal bike it just makes sense to not exceed either 80" or 50#. For the large majority of bikes those limits should be easy to stay under. Heck, I have managed to stay under both with a hard tail mountain bike and all my gear for a multi week trip where I was camping and cooking in my soft case with no other bag.