Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddle Question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle Question

Old 03-18-22, 11:01 AM
Pennman

Bikes: Marin hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
That's "oohs and ahhhs" you're hearing. Nice choice.
Thanks Saddle arrived yesterday and have it mounted. I'm impressed with the quality. We'll see what the butt thinks of it before long.
Old 03-19-22, 05:21 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Pennman
Well, I was debating to let all know how this turned out but here goes: I can hear all the boos and ahs but after a lot of studying I ordered a Brooks B17, carved saddle. It got down to the Selle Anatomica series which may have been a better choice but I'm a favorite of the traditional, old school craftsmanship.and reputation. Thanks again for all the tips and my apologies to those who I didn't listen to.
So your carved B17 is a B17 Inperial? With a cutout through the middle?

I like most of the saddles we've been talking about: B17 Imperial, recent Brooks Professional, B17 Standard and Select, Ideale 92, Selle Anatomica (H, X, T, and the old nameless ones. I'm experimenting with a Brooks Select B15 Swallow, along with the recent Professional.
Old 03-19-22, 07:42 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
So your carved B17 is a B17 Inperial? With a cutout through the middle?

I like most of the saddles we've been talking about: B17 Imperial, recent Brooks Professional, B17 Standard and Select, Ideale 92, Selle Anatomica (H, X, T, and the old nameless ones. I'm experimenting with a Brooks Select B15 Swallow, along with the recent Professional.
Yes, the B17 Imperial. Doesn't say anything about "Imperial" but that's the only B17 with a cutout from what I saw. I went for that for the reasons I mentioned but the Selle Anatomica ads/descriptions seemed to stress the protection factor a lot more. Whether it's just hype, who knows. I'll soon find out after a reasonable amount of time on the Brooks. I've had the Selle type in the past and survived but if I recall correctly all that cushioning and material was hot. I'm inclined to believe there is no saddle that a rider gets off of and says "boy that feels good".. My thought is leather may be cooler then some synthetic and will gradually be more form fitting. Just saying.
Old 03-19-22, 10:15 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Yes, the B17 Imperial. Doesn't say anything about "Imperial" but that's the only B17 with a cutout from what I saw. I went for that for the reasons I mentioned but the Selle Anatomica ads/descriptions seemed to stress the protection factor a lot more. Whether it's just hype, who knows. I'll soon find out after a reasonable amount of time on the Brooks. I've had the Selle type in the past and survived but if I recall correctly all that cushioning and material was hot. I'm inclined to believe there is no saddle that a rider gets off of and says "boy that feels good".. My thought is leather may be cooler then some synthetic and will gradually be more form fitting. Just saying.
I have had that feeling of feeling better on my S-As and Professional.
Old 03-21-22, 04:46 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have the Brooks B17 but a friend in college removed the rivets and then soaked the saddle in neatsfoot oil and then re-riveted it to the frame. The stronger my butt muscles the more comfortable the saddle in my own experience.

I have added a Ergon mountain sport gel saddle to give a try on one of my road bikes. I found it interesting that included with the saddle is an adapter for clipping on the Topeak saddle bags. I like this approach as I can remove the saddle bag quickly and no need to leave it on the bike.
Old 03-21-22, 05:17 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow, soaked it in neatsfoot oil. I bet that softened it up. Good luck with the new saddle.
Old 03-23-22, 12:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

The Ergon SMC Sport Gel Saddle is sold by REI as a mountain bike saddle but is is great on my road bike. The gel is thick enough to make the saddle much more comfortable where my bones hit it but it is otherwise like a non gel saddle and it is out of the box the most comfortable saddle I have owned.

My Brooks B17 needed special treatment and one forgets how long it can take to break in a leather saddle. The new plastic ones I have found to be much less comfortable regardless of price and there is no hope of "breaking in" them in over time.

I tried a couple of Fizik and a Specialized saddle but they were not at all comfortable for use on a road bike. The Ergon gel saddle is just right for my ass.
Old 03-23-22, 01:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have been experimenting with cut-outs on traditional leather saddles - a lot.

Without going into a bunch of details, I find the quality of the pad in my cycling shorts to be a greater factor. When riding unpadded, the cutout is an improvement for rides over 20miles. I'm a fan of Selle Anatomica - and Gyes (with cut-out) over Brooks.

Ideale - modified

Brooks Swallow - modified

Brooks Pro - modified

RHM saddle - modified

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-23-22 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-23-22, 03:57 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice additions to the thread. After reading the section on saddles in "Bike for Life" I'm getting a bit skeptical about my B17 purchase but will give it a try. Next up would be the Selle. I have my saddle height a bit on the low side right now and difference in bar height and seat height is 2-3in, seat level. Weather has turned again here so haven't ridden. Wow, nice collection of bikes!

Last edited by Pennman; 03-23-22 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-23-22, 04:11 PM
Calsun
Banned

The B17 is a lot more pliant that the average all plastic saddle but it does need a break-in period. It cushions more than most road saddles.

The seat angle makes a good deal of difference after I have dialed in the seat to handlebar distance and the seat height. I use a downward slope of 4-6 degrees depending on the bike. But it is a balancing act between seat to bars distance and the angle of the seat.
Old 03-23-22, 04:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Nice additions to the thread. After reading the section on saddles in "Bike for Life" I'm getting a bit skeptical about my B17 purchase but will give it a try. Next up would be the Selle. I have my saddle height a bit on the low side right now and difference in bar height and seat height is 2-3in, seat level. Weather has turned again here so haven't ridden. Wow, nice collection of bikes!
Have you run across Infinity saddles yet?

https://infinitybikeseat.com
Old 03-23-22, 05:35 PM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

I use a Selle Anatomica X-Series which is very comfortable right out of the box but I find this Infinity saddle interesting and may have to give it a try.
Old 03-23-22, 05:44 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

No, I haven't but did see it in the book "Bike for Life". Pricey.
Old 03-23-22, 08:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim58
I use a Selle Anatomica X-Series which is very comfortable right out of the box but I find this Infinity saddle interesting and may have to give it a try.
I use a variety of saddles, but my favorite in the current lineup is the San Marco Shortfit Racing saddle, which is a snub nose, cutout style. I do most of my mileage on two Fizik Aliante R3 equipped saddles, which are conventional, so go figure…I never know what’s going to work until it does. In not too distant 3rd place is the SQ Lab 612 Active, which has a recess up the middle and a broad, flat nose. I’ve not done long, hard rides on it, but it’s nice for around town and moderate effort cruises in the 20 mile range, so I think it would be a fine distance saddle.

Anyway, I haven’t used one, but the Infinity is interesting to me as well. They’re just a little too ugly for me to get down with, mostly for the prominently exposed, tall chrome rails at the front. I also ride a Selle SMP Dynamic, which itself could be described as ugly and has long chrome rails, so I’m pretty generous with my style range, but the Infinity saddles are just a little outside it. I’ve seen some cool color combos with anodized rails from them in the past, but they don’t seem to offer those anymore.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-24-22, 10:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
That's a tough one. I know by mail which unfortunately the least expensive it's a no no. The Selle I'm looking at is the L3 145mm that I would think would fit.
SI also makes a Green series. You might want to try this one: https://www.performancebike.com/sell...ec003/p1373687
I have that Superflow you mentioned and I think this saddle is actually more comfortable and way cheaper.
Old 03-25-22, 07:25 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
SI also makes a Green series. You might want to try this one: https://www.performancebike.com/sell...ec003/p1373687
I have that Superflow you mentioned and I think this saddle is actually more comfortable and way cheaper.
Thanks. This thread is now offering some great ideas and experiences. Some of them from members with thousands of posts - amazing. For them to take the time to help so many and share their knowledge I find truly commendable. I'm not a biking expert by any means but I think the thread so far has covered the most desirable bike saddles to try.
Likes For Pennman:
Old 03-26-22, 11:49 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Aw, now yer just bragging!
'

My Prostate is so big, ......it has it`s Own Prostate!
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 03-26-22, 12:49 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'

My Prostate is so big, ......it has it`s Own Prostate!
Does that require no saddle or seatpost, just standing?
Old 03-26-22, 04:26 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Just bought a new bike (Marin Kentfield) for some exercise on a local rail trail. Have done quite a bit of road biking in the past but haven't ridden for about 5 years. I'm trying to set this new bike up and first thing I need to do is to change the seat due to bph and a pretty big prostrate. Sit bone measurement is 130mm which includes added 20mm. My choices are pretty much down to two; Brooks carved saddle and Selle Italia SLR Boost SuperFlow TDF Road (largest cutout offered by Selle Italia). Not too worried about comfort since I won't be doing any marathons but interested in protecting the vitals. (at 79 who isn't). Any suggestions to this controversial topic would be appreciated.

I put a Selle Italia Boost Superflow Endurance on a recent build and its awesome. Large cutout and more padding than the regular boost saddles they sell. It's a shorter nose saddle but for you that probably doesn't matter. The increased padding along with the super flow cutout may be just the ticket for you. FWIW I am younger without the issues you mention but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like the saddle. I got the model with the titanium rails as well. The Brooks saddles are really nice but not having owned one I can't speak to them.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-26-22, 07:10 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Glad you found a good match. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-10-22, 06:57 AM
Road Fan

Just bought a new bike (Marin Kentfield) for some exercise on a local rail trail. Have done quite a bit of road biking in the past but haven't ridden for about 5 years. I'm trying to set this new bike up and first thing I need to do is to change the seat due to bph and a pretty big prostrate. Sit bone measurement is 130mm which includes added 20mm. My choices are pretty much down to two; Brooks carved saddle and Selle Italia SLR Boost SuperFlow TDF Road (largest cutout offered by Selle Italia). Not too worried about comfort since I won't be doing any marathons but interested in protecting the vitals. (at 79 who isn't). Any suggestions to this controversial topic would be appreciated.
I have two ideas. One is to get an older Selle Anatomica and widen the slot near the widest part of the saddle, to reduce it pressing on the prostate. Another is to reduce the saddle height maybe 5 mm to increase your ability to lift your body above the saddle and reduce direct pressure. I'm not in this end of the mens' health swimming pool yet, beyond taking a very light dose of daily Flowmax. But I don't understand the idea to raise the saddle: if one has an enlarged prostate, why does one need a saddle height which is 20 mm higher than where it was before the enlargement occured? My assumption would be that if adjusting saddle height can reduce pain due to this issue, the goal would be to reduce the height to reduce the pressure on the prostate, or whatever is hurting in your pelvic basin. If you reduce the saddle height by maybe 2/10 of an inch, you have more knee bend and be able to lift your body above the saddle surface as you ride. I know that if my saddle is too high, I can get a lot of pain due to abrasion as my hips rock.

A used Brooks Imperial or Selle AnAtomica (an X model, a T model, or one with no "letter grade" would be softest and most compliant, even after you tension up the nose screw) could be the best canvas on which to experiment. "Used" because they can be softer, and if you want to trim the slot edges to widen it, you don't have to worry about making an expensive new one worthless. If you trim the slot edges to widen it that might physically reduce the contact against the prostate area. It could also result in accelerated stretching of the leather skin as it ages.

I throw this out as an attempt to be helpful. I'm not a doctor or even an experienced patient in this matter. Even though I thought of it, I don't think I would try it without talking to my doctor first. It's just that raising the saddle seems to be going in the wrong direction. I have widened the slot on one of mine and it does improve comfort a little. It makes the sides of the saddle act more like a pair of hammocks that support you along your sit bones, rather than pressing on the bits between them.
Old 12-10-22, 12:04 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you!
Old 12-10-22, 05:18 PM
Road Fan

Your welcome! Please let us know how this works out.
Old 12-19-22, 07:31 PM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
+1 for Ergon saddles. I have one on my mountain bike. It was good from day one. I do have a Brooks Professional on my trainer/gravel bike. It's never really softened up for me. Maybe it's due to living in a dry climate and not having a scheduled moisturizing schedule for my saddle.
Old 12-23-22, 08:16 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
After many happy years with Brooks saddles, I started having numbness issues. I switched to a "Spongy Wonder" noseless saddle a number of years ago and never looked back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.