Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannot get tire to let go of rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 02:32 PM
Telkwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Rim: Bontrager Duster Elite 622 X 22 "tubeless ready"
Tire: Continental Cross King Protect 58-622 (29 X 2.3)

The Conti's were brand new when I installed them last summer. My first try at tubeless.

Today I decided to dismantle the front wheel. Just for practice and to see if the sealant had dried out or what. Bike didn't get ridden all winter.

I cannot get the tire bead off the rim. Tried clamps, figuring if I squeezed the tire into the middle it'd pop off the rim shoulder. Nope. Tried tire levers and other tools. Could get a tiny amount of separation between rim and tire but that was it. Didn't want to deform the rim or damage the tire so I just stopped.

I've changed lots and lots of bicycle tires in my day (motorcycle tires too) but never ever had a tire that wouldn't move off the rim. So if there are some tricks I don't know them.
Old 03-27-22, 02:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
you might try sliding in a second lever in that tiny separation & work it slightly side to side while walking it further across in to the lip of the rim.
Old 03-27-22, 06:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Try harder. Current tires and rims are becoming tighter fitting as tubeless is being billed as the answer to a question only some were asking Andy
Old 03-27-22, 06:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Rather than using levers to pry off the tire, try getting all of the beads into the center well, grasping the tire in one spot, and pulling it laterally until a bead comes over the rim sidewall. That's not a great explanation, and I'd like to make a video or something someday, but it works well for me when dealing with tight or really stiff tires. It's annoying to my "just use a tire lever!" friends, but I nearly always triumph in the end.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 03-27-22 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-27-22, 08:00 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Telkwa
Rim: Bontrager Duster Elite 622 X 22 "tubeless ready"
Tire: Continental Cross King Protect 58-622 (29 X 2.3)

The Conti's were brand new when I installed them last summer. My first try at tubeless.

Today I decided to dismantle the front wheel. Just for practice and to see if the sealant had dried out or what. Bike didn't get ridden all winter.

I cannot get the tire bead off the rim. Tried clamps, figuring if I squeezed the tire into the middle it'd pop off the rim shoulder. Nope. Tried tire levers and other tools. Could get a tiny amount of separation between rim and tire but that was it. Didn't want to deform the rim or damage the tire so I just stopped.

I've changed lots and lots of bicycle tires in my day (motorcycle tires too) but never ever had a tire that wouldn't move off the rim. So if there are some tricks I don't know them.
In this situation, I'd get a small "C" clamp and squeeze the tire until one of the beads lets go. There's nothing really holding it on except "sticky". Maybe apply the clamp every pre inches until the entire tire is detached.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-27-22, 09:33 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Warm it up a bit.
Likes For blamester:
Old 03-27-22, 10:22 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Tubeless ready rims are a nightmare when you have arthritis in your hands.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-27-22, 11:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Rather than using levers to pry off the tire, try getting all of the beads into the center well, grasping the tire in one spot, and pulling it laterally until a bead comes over the rim sidewall. That's not a great explanation, and I'd like to make a video or something someday, but it works well for me when dealing with tight or really stiff tires. It's annoying to my "just use a tire lever!" friends, but I nearly always triumph in the end.
I do all of the above: (a) I use a tire lever to push the bead from both sides of the tire off the hook into the center channel except at the valve stem where it is impossible to do so, (b) pull the tire at the opposite end of the valve stem, and (c) use a polymer lever to help remove the tire.
Old 03-28-22, 05:26 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
With the tire fully deflated, put some soapy water on the bead/rim interface. Let it sit for a bit and try again. It is basically the equivalent of WD-40 for a tight bolt.

Don't use a tire lever to break the bead, you should be able to do that by hand over the entire time. Tire levers can be used to get the bead over the rim.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 03-28-22, 05:53 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I have had a couple that were terrible to get to break loose. orange seal really glues them to the rim. good luck.
Old 03-28-22, 08:09 AM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Tubeless ready rims are a nightmare when you have arthritis in your hands.
Yeah, I didn't want to whine, but that's my situation exactly. I can't apply nearly as much force, and my wrist/thumb/hands hurt for days after.

I understand the part about getting the beads into the center. If I were at that stage the rest would be easy. I failed to get the tire bead to move off the rim shelf or shoulder or whatever the correct term may be.

Googled around and ran into some discussion of setting the rim on top of a garbage can, then applying force. I'm thinking of maybe setting a piece of plywood over the garbage can, then using a jig saw to cut out the center. Might cut out some slots that follow the shape of the rim so I could reach in with a C-clamp.

Laid in bed thinking about this instead of sleeping. I'm imagining supporting the rim as described above, then pushing something like a broad blade chipping gun attachment into the gap between tire sidewall and rim. Then use gradual force (C-clamp) or sudden force (hammer) downward, toward the center of the rim. The typical levering action that's usually used with tires won't work because I can't get a lever between the tire and the rim.

Will try soap and water, heating it up, C-clamps, etc. My wife's bike is set up the same as mine, so I'm looking at 3 more rims that might be better or might not.

Sure am thinking about going back to tubes. We're low-key riders, so some of the "advantages" of tubeless aren't much of a factor.

I've been unhappy with the asymmetrical Bontrager 22mm rims. In general, are wider rims easier to work with?

Last edited by Telkwa; 03-28-22 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-28-22, 08:29 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by sloppy12
I have had a couple that were terrible to get to break loose. orange seal really glues them to the rim. good luck.

Orange seal is water soluble for that exact reason.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 03-28-22, 08:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Sure am thinking about going back to tubes. We're low-key riders, so some of the "advantages" of tubeless aren't much of a factor.

I've been unhappy with the asymmetrical Bontrager 22mm rims. In general, are wider rims easier to work with?
Tube type tires on the same rims will likely be just as difficult to dislodge from the rim shelf
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-28-22, 12:06 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
It's not you , I had the same issue with a couple of Vittoria's that I got online and were described as "clincher" tires - I called the online store and they said a "clincher" by definition has to have a tube - whereas tubeless tires can run with or without - they said these tires just happen to have thicker side walls making the dismount a bit harder.
I tried everything as well and ended up bringing them to the LBS - the mechanic said it was tough but he eventually had success - I always used Michelin Pro Race and will go back to them - I also have removed lots of tires but these were ridiculous - my personal feeling is that they were manufactured to be used with or without a tube .
Old 03-28-22, 12:17 PM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Tube type tires on the same rims will likely be just as difficult to dislodge from the rim shelf
I repaired the original Bontragers, a pair of Kenda Nevegals, and some Conti Trail King Protects due to flats several times. All with tubes. No problems getting the tires off the rims. Not sure if any of those were tube or tl-ready.

What about wider rims? All else being equal, do wider rims put less of a deathgrip on the tires?
Old 03-28-22, 01:53 PM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by alcjphil

This 100%. I had a set of Challenge Gravel Grinders (with tubes) and I literally ripped my thumbnail off trying to unseat the bead. Just would not go. Added soap and water, waited 10 minutes and broke away easily.
Old 03-29-22, 09:06 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Try harder. Current tires and rims are becoming tighter fitting as tubeless is being billed as the answer to a question only some were asking Andy
Just one more story in the "are tubeless road tires really something I want to try?" saga. Answer is no, but thanks for asking.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-29-22, 09:09 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Just one more story in the "are tubeless road tires really something I want to try?" saga. Answer is no, but thanks for asking.
Has nothing to do with tubeless. Can happen with any tire.
Old 03-29-22, 11:29 AM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Tubless ready rims are the worse

I got a new bike that came with tubless ready rims. The only way I could break the bead on clincher tire to remove was with a shop vice, not very practical to carry on the bike. So I thought I would chance it, until I got a flat tire ridin bike and could not break bead to change. Had to ride on flat tire 13 miles home. Didn't damage tire or break the bead. My solution was to order true clincher rims and replace rims. Problem solved. IMOP there is no advantage to tubless rims or going tubless.
Likes For Pridedog:
Old 03-29-22, 12:32 PM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
This 100%. I had a set of Challenge Gravel Grinders (with tubes) and I literally ripped my thumbnail off trying to unseat the bead. Just would not go. Added soap and water, waited 10 minutes and broke away easily.
I hope the soap and water works.

Pridedog, you describe the exact thing I worry about.

I've been carrying levers and pump and spare tube with me. Might as well leave that stuff at home.

Last edited by Telkwa; 03-29-22 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-31-22, 03:27 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have had the exact opposite experience. Took me forever to break the bead for my tube gp5000 25mm tire.

The tubeless gravel king slicks 32mm and Vittoria Corsa G2.0 700x25c TLR took almost zero effort. Made question how they stay on they came off so easy.
Old 03-31-22, 05:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to whine, but that's my situation exactly. I can't apply nearly as much force, and my wrist/thumb/hands hurt for days after.

I understand the part about getting the beads into the center. If I were at that stage the rest would be easy. I failed to get the tire bead to move off the rim shelf or shoulder or whatever the correct term may be.

Googled around and ran into some discussion of setting the rim on top of a garbage can, then applying force. I'm thinking of maybe setting a piece of plywood over the garbage can, then using a jig saw to cut out the center. Might cut out some slots that follow the shape of the rim so I could reach in with a C-clamp.

Laid in bed thinking about this instead of sleeping. I'm imagining supporting the rim as described above, then pushing something like a broad blade chipping gun attachment into the gap between tire sidewall and rim. Then use gradual force (C-clamp) or sudden force (hammer) downward, toward the center of the rim. The typical levering action that's usually used with tires won't work because I can't get a lever between the tire and the rim.
I don't have any tubeless bicycles but have broken lots of tubeless vehicle tires from tractors to MC, often rusted to the rim.
Vehicles - High lift jack
MC - pieces of curved cut wood and C-clamp(s)
I don't see where c-clamps wouldn't work for a bicycle.
or this guy's method

Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-31-22, 06:43 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
the 4-inch ratchet clamps from wally world work & are less likely to snake bite the tire/tube. Sometimes those small 4-inch ratchet clamps are priced under $2 a pair, making it a better option.
Old 03-31-22, 08:28 AM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
dedhead -
Thanks for the short video. Regardless of how you get there (on the ground, on top of a garbage can, on your own custom plywood work surface) the guy in the video is applying force in the direction that it has to go. Levering won't cut it because you can't get a lever underneath the bead. Force has to be down and away from the rim shoulder. In the video the guy bends over and pulls upward on the rim. Seems to me you could accomplish pretty much the same thing with some wood cribbing under the rim. Maybe use a soft wood like cedar.

I'm optimistic that a technique similar to his (and soap & water) might do it.

Several guys have commented that the tire would be stuck on the rim whether it was a tubed setup or tubeless. I tend to agree. If the tire's bead is a bit too small and the rim is a bit too large, well, that's just physics. Or Murphy's Law. It's just that I've never ever experienced a stuck tire like this and it's my first experience with a tubeless. The tire's been on the rim for several months now so I assumed removal would be easy.

Last edited by Telkwa; 03-31-22 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-31-22, 04:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
He's having trouble getting the bead of the "shelf". He isn't to the point where he can even get it to the center.

OP: do a web search for terms like "removing a dificult tire" or "removing tire bead from rim shelf" etc. There's several Youtube videos on tricks; I encountered the same thing recently - couldn't even get the bead off the shelf in order to get tire levers in there. I ended up using a vise. On another tire I used a board trick I saw on Youtube -which is best explained by watching some of those videos;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.