Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Old 11-20-21, 02:22 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
What a beautiful bike! If this thread were illustrated by one single image, I can't think of one better than this.

The reason I love this thread so much is because these are the bikes that fulfill the bicycle's ultimate purpose: Useful Transportation

Utility bikes are awesome, but one-dimensional. You wouldn't take one on a ride just to ride (if that makes any sense).

I don't need to inform you on the limitations of Italian/French/British racebikes.

And the "Touring" roadbikes are wonderful for the sort of slim, lightweight athletes who buy them and promptly put on hundreds of miles.

For the rest of us, the lightweight chrome-moly frames, sturdy geometry, and massive gear range of the vintage rigid MTB is the perfect recipe for a bike that could actually serve as a sole mode of transport, in the right circumstances.

Got a family? Build or buy a trailer, mount seating on it, and a roof of some sort, and you have your basic family carriage. The strongest son or daughter gets the honor of driving! How's that for self-esteem building?

I'm just woolgathering here. But if our destiny involves travelling by people-power; the vintage, rigid, ATB/MTB is a perfect platform on which to build. Lighter, stronger, and faster than the old gas-pipe classics, I believe they are the ideal transportation for a diminished fossil-fuel future. Even for old-farts like me!

Both Vintage AND Classic I am...
useful transportation.... exactly. Bikes should be able to perform some sort of work, whether it's just a small basket on the front or all racked out. I completely agree as well that the old mtb is a great building platform for cargo / work / commuting bikes. I have a few myself and they all started the in that fashion. Happy spinning
Likes For ocsawdust:
Old 11-20-21, 02:50 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Speaking of mustaches (SOMA Mustache II, actually) - Here are some better pics of the Wheeler:

great looking ride
Likes For ocsawdust:
Old 11-21-21, 12:32 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by ocsawdust
great looking ride
Thank you!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 11-22-21, 10:52 PM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
1992(?) Trek 7000 Kid Hauler

Likes For oldtimeyirv:
Old 11-24-21, 02:16 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by oldtimeyirv
1992(?) Trek 7000 Kid Hauler
Two things:
1) How do you like those tires? I've never seen them before, had to look them up. Eastern "Growler" tires, about $30 apiece?

2) I like the way you mounted the fenders - rather than trim the fender stays by cutting them to length, you bent them back to (guessing) provide static retention in case of fastener loss or failure?

Very cool bike!

Old 11-24-21, 02:19 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I hear you. I finally noticed that they're threadless stems; I prefer quill. It's semi-custom; I'm sure I could find something amongst the 20 sizes they offer. Doesn't matter, I'm getting this beautiful, rare, Araya mixte for a lot less.

Very beautiful and unique bike. Congrats!
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-24-21, 02:22 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
As most of us age, we either move our drop bars up or we swap them out for bars that allow for more of an upright posture. We are blessed to have so many options as we do. There's probably a combination for every situation, every bike and every owner. The trick of course is in finding what works for yourself without having to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars!
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-24-21, 08:49 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by oldtimeyirv
1992(?) Trek 7000

Nicely done.

I had that exact same model Trek 7000, same color but in a 22", I think.

I think its a 1990 model.
Trek brochure can verify if that's correct.

l wouldn't mind having it back.

I thought it was a relatively light aluminum frame.

It would take plenty fat tires which gave a great ride.

I stripped mine completely of paint and entertained ideas of polishing the aluminum to a shiny finish.

Finally I brushed on a burnt orange funky type of paint that actually dried pretty smoothly.

It was recommended to me not to powdercoat it for reasons of the heat from the process might effect the glue used on the lugs and tubes.

I liked the sturdy , industrial grade looking seat stay / seat post lugs they built it with.

Pic of mine is earlier this thread in the orange color.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20198925-post70.html
Enjoy.

Last edited by cooperryder; 11-24-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 10:08 PM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Two things:
1) How do you like those tires? I've never seen them before, had to look them up. Eastern "Growler" tires, about $30 apiece?

2) I like the way you mounted the fenders - rather than trim the fender stays by cutting them to length, you bent them back to (guessing) provide static retention in case of fastener loss or failure?

Very cool bike!
Thanks! I like the tires just fine. They are pretty sturdy BMX style tires. TBH I haven't ridden it enough to be critical of them, but they are big and squishy. Perfect!

I bent the fender stays because I didn't have the appropriate tool to cut them. But it worked out! Could probably still fit them to another bike if needed also.

Happy turkey day!
Old 11-24-21, 10:12 PM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Nicely done.

I had that exact same model Trek 7000, same color but in a 22", I think.

I think its a 1990 model.
Trek brochure can verify if that's correct.

l wouldn't mind having it back.

I thought it was a relatively light aluminum frame.

It would take plenty fat tires which gave a great ride.

I stripped mine completely of paint and entertained ideas of polishing the aluminum to a shiny finish.

Finally I brushed on a burnt orange funky type of paint that actually dried pretty smoothly.

It was recommended to me not to powdercoat it for reasons of the heat from the process might effect the glue used on the lugs and tubes.

I liked the sturdy , industrial grade looking seat stay / seat post lugs they built it with.

Pic of mine is earlier this thread in the orange color.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20198925-post70.html
Enjoy.
I really enjoy riding it and I love the funky 90s paint job. It feels slightly cramped for me bc of the old school geometry. Might find it a new home in the spring.

I have had a few Cannondale frames powdered, but they are welded. Someone told me about aluminum lugs and heat. Thankfully the original paint is in good shape still.
Old 11-25-21, 03:11 PM
Nikola88

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Panasonic Mountain Cat H
Short stem, alloy atv handlebars, odi grips...
Bmx cruiser style
seat was lowered soon after...

Likes For Nikola88:
Old 11-28-21, 08:04 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts

Cannondale SM700, this bike rips. It would be too big for me without the handlebars like this. In the future I would like to change out the stem to something less embarrassing and remove the bar-ends altogether. The rack and water bottle cages glow in black-light. Downtube too thick to wrap my hand around; and yes, the top tube is parallel to the ground. 1.95" older specialized tires.
Likes For ZudeJammer:
Old 11-29-21, 03:07 PM
Nikola88

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ZudeJammer

Thats a cool patch on the bag!
Old 12-06-21, 06:15 PM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
One 1987ish Panasonic Mountain Cat 3500 re-equipped to be the new barcycle. Also intended for bike trail duty and generally tootling around the neighborhood. It still needs racks installed, but I'm not happy with the available choices in the stash. Most of the parts came off a slightly less old Specialized performing the same role. Seatpost is an old SR, with Brooks "washers" for double rail saddles substituted for the single rail originals. The bike was previously equipped with a 15 speed, non-indexed drivetrain that mixed Suntour and Shimano parts. Online catalog says it was all Shimano originally. It now has a different mix, with Suntour indexed thumbies driving an indexing Shimano rear derailleur with a seven speed freewheel in back, and all Suntour friction up front. And yes, that is indeed a 24" lugged frame.

Likes For pfaustus:
Old 12-19-21, 10:57 PM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
my newest upright mtn bike

shimano 600 crankset, xt thumbies, deore rear derailleur and vbrakes. rides real smooth.
Likes For 36Chambers:
Old 12-21-21, 09:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by 36Chambers
shimano 600 crankset, xt thumbies, deore rear derailleur and vbrakes. rides real smooth.
Which handlebar is that?
Old 12-23-21, 12:32 AM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Which handlebar is that?

soma sparrow. My hands were having a hard time, so I tried to find something so my hands would not hurt as much. I found it second hand. 10 bucks. It has a little bit of sweep back to it, but I still have to lean out to hold on, which was my intent to try and get this baby as fast as I can.
Old 12-23-21, 08:29 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

soma sparrow. My hands were having a hard time, so I tried to find something so my hands would not hurt as much. I found it second hand. 10 bucks. It has a little bit of sweep back to it, but I still have to lean out to hold on, which was my intent to try and get this baby as fast as I can.
That's a beautiful bike! So well executed, it's a pleasure to peruse the details. Your choice of saddle, bars, and pedals was spot-on. Your decision to leave the crank alone, rather than doing the full blackout treatment, really makes this bike stand out. I feel the need to build a black city bike now... thanks?

Old 12-23-21, 02:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Nice bar, and what a screaming deal! I'm loving my Velo-Orange Tourist bar; it has a little too much rise, but I compensated with a shorter stem and it's great. I loathe straight bars with a burning passion.
Old 12-23-21, 03:12 PM
36Chambers

That's a beautiful bike! So well executed, it's a pleasure to peruse the details. Your choice of saddle, bars, and pedals was spot-on. Your decision to leave the crank alone, rather than doing the full blackout treatment, really makes this bike stand out. I feel the need to build a black city bike now... thanks?
DQ, thank you. I stared at the bike for hours before I did anything. It did take two tries. I had it with drop bars originally with cantilever brakes and ultegra sti shifters on it. Only problem is, I have another bike with drop bars and it is my favorite ride. This was not going to get any love because it did not provide any more utility than this other one. I like having a bike for all occasions. So it was a search for the right bars and I wanted v brakes. I also love thumb shifters because they are so easy to use and relatively low maintenance. also it is different, and I am hoping the variety will help me ride it more. I, like many here, have a bike addiction. Feels good knowing others see the quality it the set up. thanks again.
Old 12-27-21, 08:04 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Working on bringing this back from the dead.

Old 04-01-22, 04:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

{bump} Any new builds out there?
Old 04-01-22, 05:49 PM
cooperryder

{bump} Any new builds out there?
Thanks Korina.

I've missed this thread.

I hope for some new posts.

Personally I have 3 of the vintage mtb to upright bar builds and enjoy all 3.

At one point or another I think I've posted all 3
plus a few others that have passed through my hands and then moved on to new owners.

I have done a handful of other upright bar conversions the past year or so but all are either 700c or 27" wheel bikes.

As I've aged and my cruising speed has slowed the upright bars with taller stems just work well for me.

Ever now and then since starting this thread on 11-10-17 I've tried road bars again but keep coming back to upright bars.

My favorite two 700c upright bars conversion bikes are a Riv Sam Hillbourne and an Austro Daimler Vent Noir II.

Last edited by cooperryder; 05-09-22 at 02:23 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 04-01-22, 05:53 PM
cooperryder

We could just open the thread to any upright bar conversion.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-22, 01:38 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by cooperryder
We could just open the thread to any upright bar conversion.

Thoughts?
It already is; the "/" in the title says it all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.