Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dog chasing cyclists

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dog chasing cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 09:21 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Depending on the neighborhood around here, a loose dog could kill you. Dog fighting is a real thing in Oakland and on rare occasions vicious dogs have escaped and caused real harm. Not that long ago a man was killed in a park by two escaped fighting dogs. A number of beloved pets have been killed.

As a long time commuter through Oakland, nothing gave me chills and an adrenaline rush like the sight of a loose dog. A trained fighting dog is unstoppable by anything less than a bullet.
Old 04-04-22, 10:08 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Darn. I thought this was going to be a thread about dog chasing cyclists (or, for more clarity: dog-chasing cyclists). I'd never heard of nor seen dog chasing cyclists. It thought it might be a speed motivator in the velodrome, kind of like the rabbit they use to get greyhounds to run on the track.

Oh well, just another thread about dog chasing cyclists, and the well-known remedies.

One that I take always, if there's a dog off their property harassing cyclists - I try to figure out the address and report it to animal control.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-05-22, 04:48 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
If the person is predictable as you describe them for when & where you encounter them, maybe alert authorities to be around when it occurs?

Not to deliberately make this thread go tangent; I wonder what is the lesser "evil" in handling these encounters?
Carry a defense spray to address an animal?
Do not carry a defense mechanism, & rely on instinct [fight or flight response]?

I do not see a way to handle it in realistic manner to avoid conflict.
The victim should not just "let it go" nor take it on the chin.
Old 04-05-22, 05:37 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Depending on the neighborhood around here, a loose dog could kill you. Dog fighting is a real thing in Oakland and on rare occasions vicious dogs have escaped and caused real harm. Not that long ago a man was killed in a park by two escaped fighting dogs. A number of beloved pets have been killed.

As a long time commuter through Oakland, nothing gave me chills and an adrenaline rush like the sight of a loose dog. A trained fighting dog is unstoppable by anything less than a bullet.
Although not on a bicycle, this recent report will give you something to think about. (WARNING - details of this attack are brutal)

SC mom has both arms amputated after mauled by 3 pit bulls (nypost.com)
Old 04-05-22, 06:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Pfft. Try facing a real challenge.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-05-22, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
There one woman with a medium dog that I pass a few times a week and I know to all out at least 100 years before to her so she can hold on to the leash.
Have you thought of pitching that typo to the Syfy channel as a series? "Control your future-dog!"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-05-22, 07:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I think the reason these threads always degenerate into an argument (and this one will) is because this is absolutely an instance where your situational awareness should determine your response under the immediate circumstances. Dogs come in many shapes and sizes, some of them are bred to grab on and make big animals stop, some of them are just looking for a race, some of them want to be pet, some of them are hilariously small and pose no threat other than getting under or into your wheels. Sometimes you can see them coming from far away, sometimes they come at you from a right angle immediately adjacent to your route (from behind a bush, say). Some dogs are feral, some are just goofy clowns.

It's the classic "you had to be there" scenario. Anyone who wants to say "always do x, if you don't you're wrong" is going to get argued with, it will get personal with accusations of dog-hating and abuse, and this process can be repeated ad infinitum until a mod shuts it down. Pretty sure it already has in a bunch of threads.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-05-22, 07:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Camilo
Darn. I thought this was going to be a thread about dog chasing cyclists (or, for more clarity: dog-chasing cyclists). I'd never heard of nor seen dog chasing cyclists. It thought it might be a speed motivator in the velodrome, kind of like the rabbit they use to get greyhounds to run on the track.

Oh well, just another thread about dog chasing cyclists, and the well-known remedies.

One that I take always, if there's a dog off their property harassing cyclists - I try to figure out the address and report it to animal control.

I think that thread is right next to the mythical "Man Bites Dog" newspaper story.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-05-22, 09:12 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
So these are the methods against dogs described so far
Unarmed:
Make friends
Ignore
Outrun
Yell
Squirt water
Kick
Stop and yell
Stop and pretend to grab/throw a pebble
Armed response:
Throw pebbles
Hit with frame pump
Squirt pepper spray
Shoot
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-05-22, 09:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Toss a ribeye?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-05-22, 09:55 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Obtain a career in animal control, become one with all animals, sell off all wheeled transportation & only shave if it's the 3rd Wednesday of the month, but the month cannot have a solar eclipse.
Old 04-05-22, 10:01 AM
hellopizza

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My solution is generally to scream and pedal faster. A friend of mine was chased and bit by a little dog on her first real bike ride as an adult. I find that smaller dogs tend to be the more frequent offenders. Their owners think they're so small they can't do much damage so they're not as "on the ball" with training. Cute and slightly dangerous.
Old 04-05-22, 10:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I want to know how people are dealing with beagles strafing them from flying doghouses.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-05-22, 10:51 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I encounter dogs frequently even in new routes but I seem virtually invisible to dogs. I've come across dogs chasing other riders but the same dogs just ignore me.

I only know that dogs can be triggered by smells or unusual motions but have no idea what particular smell triggers them.
Old 04-05-22, 10:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I ...have no idea what particular smell triggers them.
Fear.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-05-22, 11:01 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Fear.
True but sometimes I think it's more than that.

Sometimes I think the bike setup has an effect on dogs. Like if the saddle is too high or too low, seems to infuriate dogs because it looks unusual or forces rider to make weird movements on the bike.
Old 04-05-22, 11:04 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts

Sometimes I think the bike setup has an effect on dogs. Like if the saddle is too high or too low, seems to infuriate dogs because it looks unusual or forces rider to make weird movements on the bike.
But presumably that doesn't change the way the rider smells.

I've sometimes wondered if some bikes emit a noise > 20 kHz, so that we can't hear it, but they can.
Old 04-05-22, 11:22 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

But presumably that doesn't change the way the rider smells.

I've sometimes wondered if some bikes emit a noise > 20 kHz, so that we can't hear it, but they can.
I don't notice any dog getting out of my way in a hurry so I doubt my bike is making loud ultrasonic noise.

Sometimes I even have to sound the bell or horn to get them to look at me so they won't try to jump into my path and risk a collision. I faced more danger among house cats that loves to randomly cross your path without warning.
Old 04-05-22, 11:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I only know that dogs can be triggered by smells or unusual motions but have no idea what particular smell triggers them.

Paraffin chain lubes.
Old 04-05-22, 11:45 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts

So dogs might be the saddle height police? Reminds me of another thread here...
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-05-22, 11:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Fear.
That works except for the most dangerous encounter -- the one where you (the cyclist) doesn't know the dog is coming after you until it's within biting distance or nearly so. The silent, vicious attack dog that doesn't bark, but but comes running from behind the house and you hear its toenails on pavement from 12" behind your foot and closing fast. It was a nice ride, there was nothing to be afraid of. Why would you smell like fear? How would the dog smell it from 50' away?
Old 04-05-22, 05:08 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
So these are the methods against dogs described so far
Unarmed:
Make friends
Ignore
Outrun
Yell
Squirt water
Kick
Stop and yell
Stop and pretend to grab/throw a pebble
Armed response:
Throw pebbles
Hit with frame pump
Squirt pepper spray
Shoot
But report it! Animal control showing up on an idiot dog owner's doorstep with a reprimand or fine will get their attention.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-05-22, 05:26 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Many years ago, I was riding back into town when a German Shepard escaped his kennel and made a lightning, silent beeline straight for me across 4 lanes of afternoon traffic. There was no doubt he meant murder. I started a desperate stop to try to put my bike between him and me when I heard two thumps; he had been hit and killed by a car. The driver stopped and commiserated with the dog's owner. Then he took me aside and said that, even though the collision was an accident, he was glad that I was lucky enough that he came along because the dog indeed had intended murder.
Old 04-05-22, 10:14 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Reynolds
So dogs might be the saddle height police? Reminds me of another thread here...
We have dogs posting in the forum?
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-05-22, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
Many years ago, I was riding back into town when a German Shepard escaped his kennel and made a lightning, silent beeline straight for me across 4 lanes of afternoon traffic. There was no doubt he meant murder. I started a desperate stop to try to put my bike between him and me when I heard two thumps; he had been hit and killed by a car. The driver stopped and commiserated with the dog's owner. Then he took me aside and said that, even though the collision was an accident, he was glad that I was lucky enough that he came along because the dog indeed had intended murder.
Yikes! Terrifying indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.