Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Pedal extenders

Old 05-07-22, 01:02 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Exclamation crashed when pedal extender broke

I thought I had checked all of my pedal extenders (on 3 sets of pedals) in 2019-2020 after reading about the Specialized recall. I did toss a pair of hollow Specialized pedal extenders.
I had not.
On a set of pedals where I had 2 extenders, I had a failure on May 6th. Fortunately the hollow pedal extender snapped when I was starting to cross a road from a stop, very low speed.
The left extender broke. I landed on my hands and right knee. My gloves protected my hands, and I have shallow scrapes on right knee. I realized that I was falling, but not why and forgot to try to unclip the right foot. The pedal did remove itself from the left foot (prosthetic side).
I had just started moving to cross the road, and was not in the path of any stopped cars yet - had to wave away drivers who wanted to know if I needed help.
I had the same failure location as

For the replacement, I will get a brand name, and maybe titanium!

Originally Posted by Popete
WARNING - I purchased a set of these stainless steel pedal extenders made by Aseparts and sold by Cherryboy.t on eBay, and I suffered a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE while riding my bicycle.

The pedal extender on my right pedal snapped off at the end of where the threads are cut, resulting in my right foot hitting the pavement, my abdomen hitting my handlebars, and my body being flung into the center of the roadway. I suffered a sore right ankle, cuts and abrasions on my right elbow and right knee, a chip in my right elbow, and severe hematoma in my abdomen.

I believe my accident is due to the FAULTY DESIGN of this product - these pedal extenders are made with a HOLLOW CENTER. I believe that over time, the push and pull action on a bicycle pedal will cause the pedal extender to break off at the point where the threads are cut. I had used these pedal extenders for about 8 months before the right one broke off without any warning.

I have looked at pedal extenders being sold by other companies, and they are all made out of a SOLID piece of metal. And I am unable to find any bicycle pedal manufacturer making pedals with a hollow axel. ......

My advice to anyone purchasing pedal extenders, or any other critical bicycle component where its failure could result in the loss of your life, is to deal only with a reputable manufacturer. Select one with a website, an address, contact information, and a good reputation, where you can contact them if you have any problem with the product. .......

Luckily, after 10 months my injuries have healed, and I believe I learned a valuable lesson about making eBay purchases. My purpose in writing this message is to warn other people, so they do not make the same mistake that I did.
Old 05-07-22, 06:22 PM
Popete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But the big disadvantage with hollow pedal extenders ..

But the big disadvantage with hollow pedal extenders bought from an anonymous, unknown person on eBay is that when the hollow pedal extender breaks, it will result in a complete catastrophic failure, resulting in a crash with you laying spread out in the middle of the road on the pavement. Hopefully you’ll be like me, just bruised and beat up, and with no traffic around to run you over and kill you. All I can say is beware! There is absolutely no reason to make a pedal extender hollow, it makes the pedal extender unsafe and prone to catastrophic failure.

Originally Posted by Sweetheart14
One of the advantages of the hollow pedal extender. Many pedals are installed with an 8mm allen wrench. If the pedal extender is solid you can't install the pedal. Another is looks. It looks clean with no flats.
Old 05-08-22, 07:31 PM
Sweetheart14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Popete
But the big disadvantage with hollow pedal extenders bought from an anonymous, unknown person on eBay is that when the hollow pedal extender breaks, it will result in a complete catastrophic failure, resulting in a crash with you laying spread out in the middle of the road on the pavement. Hopefully you’ll be like me, just bruised and beat up, and with no traffic around to run you over and kill you. All I can say is beware! There is absolutely no reason to make a pedal extender hollow, it makes the pedal extender unsafe and prone to catastrophic failure.
So if hollow pedal extenders are "unsafe" what about all the pedals that us the same design? If the pedal extenders are installed properly and maintained you shouldn't have a problem. If they are tight, the pressure on the pedal extender is on the face against the crank arm.They should be fine. Again the pedal extenders are stronger than the crank arm.
Old 05-08-22, 07:33 PM
Sweetheart14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by esther-L
I thought I had checked all of my pedal extenders (on 3 sets of pedals) in 2019-2020 after reading about the Specialized recall. I did toss a pair of hollow Specialized pedal extenders.
I had not.
On a set of pedals where I had 2 extenders, I had a failure on May 6th. Fortunately the hollow pedal extender snapped when I was starting to cross a road from a stop, very low speed.
The left extender broke. I landed on my hands and right knee. My gloves protected my hands, and I have shallow scrapes on right knee. I realized that I was falling, but not why and forgot to try to unclip the right foot. The pedal did remove itself from the left foot (prosthetic side).
I had just started moving to cross the road, and was not in the path of any stopped cars yet - had to wave away drivers who wanted to know if I needed help.

The recall I do believe you are talking about, was due to the fact the company in question. Started buying their pedal extenders from China. Before that. They had no problem.
Old 05-08-22, 08:57 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I had not.

Did you have two pedal extenders on one pedal?

Cheers
Old 05-09-22, 09:08 AM
esther-L

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweetheart14
So if hollow pedal extenders are "unsafe" what about all the pedals that us the same design? If the pedal extenders are installed properly and maintained you shouldn't have a problem. If they are tight, the pressure on the pedal extender is on the face against the crank arm.They should be fine. Again the pedal extenders are stronger than the crank arm.
On this particular set of pedal extenders, the crank arm is fine, the pedal is fine. The pedal extender snapped where the threads start. I have no memory of where/when I acquired this set - the hole inside is round, not the hex 8mm shape.
I suspect that this particular set used the wrong sort of steel.

My 1 set of titanium pedal extenders has been fine, and that set is hollow.
Old 05-09-22, 09:11 AM
esther-L

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Did you have two pedal extenders on one pedal?
Yes, I need 2 20mm pedal extenders on the frog pedals on the prosthetic side. Whether I need 1 or 2 pedal extenders depends on the bike and the pedals.
On the Xpedo Neo GFX pedals I only need 1 kneesaver.
Old 05-09-22, 10:19 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Yes, I need 2 20mm pedal extenders on the frog pedals on the prosthetic side. Whether I need 1 or 2 pedal extenders depends on the bike and the pedals.
On the Xpedo Neo GFX pedals I only need 1 kneesaver.
I my opinion two hollow pedal extenders on the same pedals, or even a hollow one attached to a solid one on the same pedal, is going to create a very strong lever with each and every pedal stroke. I would expect one of the two pedal extenders to break at some point due to the long lever arm that two pedal extenders on the same pedal makes. In other words it's an accident waiting to happen. I don't recommend two pedal extenders on the same pedal. YMMV

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: