Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

passing school buses

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

passing school buses

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 04:48 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Just because. This is the road.
Old 05-09-22, 05:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
So what is it about a stop sign that drivers don't understand? Wasn't stop signs on school buses taught in driving school? At least I remember that from my lessons in the 1970s.
Around here the stop signs weren't added to the school buses until the 1980's or perhaps 1990's.

They did have the flashing lights, and a big sign on the emergency rear exit door. I think the red-only lights were replaced with red/yellow lights on the rear in the late 70's.

And, of course, the stop sign is on the left side of the bus, not the right side of the bus...
Old 05-09-22, 05:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by FredMau
Grew up in southern Indiana and, oh, let me tell you about narrow country roads. A vehicles meets an oncoming vehicle, and it wasn't at all unusual for one or both vehicles to have the right tires off on the shoulder in order to get past each other.
Around here, many of the roads have a dropoff into a ditch beyond the edge of the road. Or, perhaps on mountain roads, just a sheer cliff over the side.

Best to keep your tires on the road.

Apparently the local fire department was doing training for a young driver along Mom's road. One of the neighbors was pulling a horse trailer down the road. And, the fire truck got a little too far over... and ended up flat on the side of the truck!!! So that trainee failed!!!
Old 05-11-22, 11:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
im very confused as to why people on this thread are discussing the legality of the school bus being there. Don't pass a bus on the right. Yield to all pedestrians even if you have the right of way. Its really not very complicated...
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-12-22, 07:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
im very confused as to why people on this thread are discussing the legality of the school bus being there. Don't pass a bus on the right. Yield to all pedestrians even if you have the right of way. Its really not very complicated...
Agreed on the school bus legality, that's not our department. Doesn't matter if the school bus driver is doing the "right thing", passing on the right puts the children in serious danger.

Please stress that last part to the "flowing" messengers on the videos you post. They weren't yielding to pedestrians even when required to.
Old 05-12-22, 09:31 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Agreed on the school bus legality, that's not our department. Doesn't matter if the school bus driver is doing the "right thing", passing on the right puts the children in serious danger.

Please stress that last part to the "flowing" messengers on the videos you post. They weren't yielding to pedestrians even when required to.
If the pedestrians had to change their pace then the rider messed up their flow. A central part of riding like that is trying to not disrupt the flow of traffic, you find the holes and fit through. Heck, an old school training technique for running red lights is to take your hands off the handlebars. Running red lights is about forsight and adaptability, and taking away your ability to control your bike and dodge cars forces you to flow smoothly and avoid disrupting traffic. Some of the videos I posted were in a race enviornemnt, the race happens once a year and attracts the best urban riders from all over the globe. Stuff that looks extremely dangerous to us might not be to them
Old 05-12-22, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

If the pedestrians had to change their pace then the rider messed up their flow. A central part of riding like that is trying to not disrupt the flow of traffic, you find the holes and fit through. Heck, an old school training technique for running red lights is to take your hands off the handlebars. Running red lights is about forsight and adaptability, and taking away your ability to control your bike and dodge cars forces you to flow smoothly and avoid disrupting traffic. Some of the videos I posted were in a race enviornemnt, the race happens once a year and attracts the best urban riders from all over the globe. Stuff that looks extremely dangerous to us might not be to them

BS. One of the videos you posted very clearly showed your guy repeatedly refusing to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk and coming VERY close to hitting several of them. That's ok because he's timing running a red light or racing on streets where racing is inherently illegal and dangerous? Literally the opposite from "Yield to all pedestrians even if you have the right of way."

If I'm a pedestrian, I'm not volunteering to be a meat pylon for an "urban rider" of any caliber. I don't care if those "racers" consider it dangerous or not, they're disrespecting my rights and putting me in danger. Don't pretend to be all solicitous of the safety of pedestrians if you're condoning that..
Old 05-12-22, 08:48 PM
LarrySellerz

BS. One of the videos you posted very clearly showed your guy repeatedly refusing to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk and coming VERY close to hitting several of them. That's ok because he's timing running a red light or racing on streets where racing is inherently illegal and dangerous? Literally the opposite from "Yield to all pedestrians even if you have the right of way."

If I'm a pedestrian, I'm not volunteering to be a meat pylon for an "urban rider" of any caliber. I don't care if those "racers" consider it dangerous or not, they're disrespecting my rights and putting me in danger. Don't pretend to be all solicitous of the safety of pedestrians if you're condoning that..
look im really not as good as the guys in the videos I posted, but what looks like a close call on camera is really different IRL. Blasting through traffic leaving havoc in your wake is looked down upon, its not smooth
Old 05-13-22, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

look im really not as good as the guys in the videos I posted, but what looks like a close call on camera is really different IRL. Blasting through traffic leaving havoc in your wake is looked down upon, its not smooth

People on foot are jumping out of the way of your guy. This is total crap. Those are actual close calls. You can either say you care about pedestrians or you can keep posting those videos and defending that clearly illegal and unsafe behavior, but when you do both, you're obviously a complete hypocrite.

I don't care how "good" they think they are, riding no brakes bikes in crowded cities, ignoring cross walks and signals, and putting your speed as priority over other people's safety is not defensible.
I'm not a damn meat pylon and I'm not going to be nice to anyone who treats me as one.
Old 05-13-22, 09:02 AM
LarrySellerz

People on foot are jumping out of the way of your guy. This is total crap. Those are actual close calls. You can either say you care about pedestrians or you can keep posting those videos and defending that clearly illegal and unsafe behavior, but when you do both, you're obviously a complete hypocrite.

I don't care how "good" they think they are, riding no brakes bikes in crowded cities, ignoring cross walks and signals, and putting your speed as priority over other people's safety is not defensible.
I'm not a damn meat pylon and I'm not going to be nice to anyone who treats me as one.
This is a good example of how expert riders flow in a city. In the beginning some less experienced people make pedestrians and cars stop, but the best guys flow through without making a mess.
Old 05-13-22, 09:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0YO5swi28 This is a good example of how expert riders flow in a city. In the beginning some less experienced people make pedestrians and cars stop, but the best guys flow through without making a mess.

What a load of crap. I watched the first minute or so of that video, and I saw multiple instances of terrorized pedestrians who had to halt in mid-step, cars slamming brakes, and one rider almost taking out a bicyclist who was riding legally the other direction. Just because they didn't actually hit people on camera when they did their very clear crosswalk violations does not mean this is remotely safe. And I'm pretty sure if anyone actually did get hit, it would've been edited out of any video.

Like I said before, these guys flow like explosive diarrhea, they're splattering all over the place. There's no skill there I can respect, I don't think evading obstacles at speed is very difficult. By not having brakes and putting this in a highly populated area with a bunch of foot traffic, they're just artificially putting themselves into a situation where they won't have a chance to correct their errors without actually injuring a bystander. You've got instances where one rider is passing a pedestrian right in front of her while one passes right behind her, the best those riders can do is guess how she's going to react in that situation. She's an involuntary meat pylon, put at risks she hasn't volunteered for, and they have no right to impose on her. If staging these events in this manner isn't criminal, it should be.

Staging an illegal no brakes competition in a dense urban area is disgusting. You can't condone this and pretend you give a rat's behind about pedestrian safety.

Quit posting these crap videos.
Old 05-13-22, 12:09 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
What a load of crap. I watched the first minute or so of that video, and I saw multiple instances of terrorized pedestrians who had to halt in mid-step, cars slamming brakes, and one rider almost taking out a bicyclist who was riding legally the other direction. Just because they didn't actually hit people on camera when they did their very clear crosswalk violations does not mean this is remotely safe. And I'm pretty sure if anyone actually did get hit, it would've been edited out of any video.

Like I said before, these guys flow like explosive diarrhea, they're splattering all over the place. There's no skill there I can respect, I don't think evading obstacles at speed is very difficult. By not having brakes and putting this in a highly populated area with a bunch of foot traffic, they're just artificially putting themselves into a situation where they won't have a chance to correct their errors without actually injuring a bystander. You've got instances where one rider is passing a pedestrian right in front of her while one passes right behind her, the best those riders can do is guess how she's going to react in that situation. She's an involuntary meat pylon, put at risks she hasn't volunteered for, and they have no right to impose on her. If staging these events in this manner isn't criminal, it should be.

Staging an illegal no brakes competition in a dense urban area is disgusting. You can't condone this and pretend you give a rat's behind about pedestrian safety.

Quit posting these crap videos.
Lucas Brunelle flows so well that after he clobbered a pedestrian while "flowing" through a red light, he tried to push her into a cab for the hospital. The cabbie objected, things quickly escalated (because Lucas), Lucas got beat the <expletive deleted> up, and the cabbie ended up in jail.

The flow-er played the victim card, the flow-er wasn't cited because the police didn't see him run the red light, and the flow-ee recovered. I'm sure she has fond memories of the flow-er.

He also recently flowed into the not quite frozen Charles River.

Quite the guy.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-13-22, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Lucas Brunelle flows so well that after he clobbered a pedestrian while "flowing" through a red light, he tried to push her into a cab for the hospital. The cabbie objected, things quickly escalated (because Lucas), Lucas got beat the <expletive deleted> up, and the cabbie ended up in jail.

The flow-er played the victim card, the flow-er wasn't cited because the police didn't see him run the red light, and the flow-ee recovered. I'm sure she has fond memories of the flow-er.

He also recently flowed into the not quite frozen Charles River.

Quite the guy.

-mr. bill

Their fun trumps everything else, I guess.

Fudge 'em, they're complete jerks and morons.
Old 05-13-22, 06:44 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
You're not supposed to pass a school bus on the right or left if the student red warning lights are on. I see a lot of drivers passing school buses letting kids out, it drives me crazy. Even cyclists and the Amish with their horse and buggies are supposed to stop!
Likes For rekmeyata: