Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

patching a sidewall?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

patching a sidewall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 11:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Could you boot it? Possibly???

Would I boot it? Probably Not.

The one option that would make some sense was suggested by @79pmooney using sailcloth glued inside the tire.

For a bead boot, the boot has to wrap around the bead and be glued to both sides of the tire. The boot should cover the entire damaged area, which is the entire area in the photo you linked.

Get it wrong, and blown beads are one of the most frustrating types of tire failures to boot.

Here I blew off 2" or 3" of bead. I was about 70 miles into my 150 mile+ solo ride. The nearest bike shop was maybe 10 miles backwards, or 20 miles forward along my ride. 700x23 tires, so not something available at any department store. So, starting with a rag stuffed into the tire and some electrical tape. I had very narrow clearance. The bulge rubbed, and I revised the boot several times with roadside debris I picked up including a small flag which was stretchproof, and the thin cord seen in the photo.

I think my boots only covered about 2/3 of the tire on the inside, but what makes a bead boot possible is wrapping the boot around the bead.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-16-22, 12:39 PM
Ridinglurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Might want to correct that if possible. Could lead to a repeat of the same problem
Lol. I missed the part of the rim not round. People want a working bike, but don't want to actually spend the money and time to fix it.

If what we see is from rubbing brake pads due to ovalized rim, then no fix to the tire or replacement will be useful before the rim is fixed. Probably need a new rim, or even a wheel.

Still cheaper than emergency room cost. I hope this isn't the front wheel.
Old 05-16-22, 12:56 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
From a purely hypothetical point of view:

Scrubbing it clean with hot soapy water, letting it dry thoroughly, then sewing it back up with Shoe goo & unwaxed dental floss. Then installing a radial tire patch might maybe get you to next payday.

I wouldn't count on much, but it'd be the frugal, better-than-nuthin' option.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-16-22, 01:03 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by sbslider
The reviews are good. i think these are worth trying just for the sake of trying.
Old 05-16-22, 08:38 PM
sbslider

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I got a chuckle out of reading today's posts.
Regarding the wheel, its no longer in service. The tire in question was being considered for the Surly straggler in the background of the picture. I thought I had posted that somewhere earlier, but I don't find it now.

Regarding the tire being many years old, it had 6 months and 2350 miles on it when my misaligned brakes rubbed against the wheel. I had worked on my bike the day before, and did a poor job of adjusting the brake pads. As mentioned, the wheel was not round. It had some spokes I couldn't adjust, and I (laughably by the comments here) continued to ride it as it was still functional. I typically get 4k to 5k on GP5000s on the front wheel of my retired cross check.

I commute/pleasure ride about 400 miles a month, that bike (the cross check) at that point had about 40k miles on it. Now its retired. Go ahead and make fun of me for my cycling habits.

I've considered trying the patch/sewing/etc.for the pictured tire. I've got another couple weeks of riding the old tires from my cross check that are now on my straggler before I'm off my bike for a month, so I'll keep pondering for a bit. The rear tire is getting low on tread, and I'm considering changing over to tubeless. Likely won't be didling with the pictured tire anymore unless I change my mind.

Got the biggest kick out of this one:
Originally Posted by Ridinglurker
Lol. I missed the part of the rim not round. People want a working bike, but don't want to actually spend the money and time to fix it.

If what we see is from rubbing brake pads due to ovalized rim, then no fix to the tire or replacement will be useful before the rim is fixed. Probably need a new rim, or even a wheel.

Still cheaper than emergency room cost. I hope this isn't the front wheel.
Yes, it was the front wheel. Tire blew decelerating from nearly 40mph into a hard left turn. Actual pop was closer to 20 mph. No blood, no foul.

Agreed, as mentioned earlier, in this post the tire is not going back on the bad rim. I do like a working bike, and I really like my new Surly, glad I bought it with money and will continue to maintain it with my time and money for hopefully 50k miles on this one. And this time with fewer poor choices regarding maintenance.
Old 05-16-22, 10:46 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
My $0.05? Based on the photo I would bin the tyre. For what? $80 I would not not take the risk of the tyre blowing out on a descent or rounding a corner or in a paceline, etc.
Old 05-24-22, 06:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by sbslider
I got the kit and the patches are thicker than those intended for tubes. Their rubber is a bit harder than that for the tubes but they lack any reinforcement beyond rubber. They may be good for patching a small round hole, but they are not likely to hold edges of a tear.
Old 05-24-22, 07:04 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Patch kit is Continental #0101895
Old 05-24-22, 07:23 PM
sbslider

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Patch kit is Continental #0101895
LOL, took me a minute . . .

Yeah, I moved on. I actually tried a home brew patch I won't describe. Pumped up the tire, let it sit a few days, the hole was getting worse without riding. 2 patches on the way, Continental #0101626.
Likes For sbslider: