Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

sekine bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 09:57 AM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
sekine bike

Hey I am planning on buying this bike for $35 CAD, not sure what model this is and the fender have some rust. Is it worth it, it looks rough to me. Will need to take apart the bottom bracket for sure and it looks like there is rust around it. Wheels look toasted as well

Likes For Frenzen:
Old 06-02-22, 01:30 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Is it worth $35.00 ?

Only if you are using it as a learning experience because it will need a complete overhaul.

Do you have the necessary tools to completely dismantle the bike?
Old 06-02-22, 02:03 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Worth $35? No. Bottom of the barrel bike in mediocre condition, from a time where bottom of the barrel was really low.

It takes just as much time, and just as much $$, to refurbish a bottom end bike as it does something decent. Sometimes "free" bikes aren't a good deal.

Now if someone gave me that bike for free, I'd take it. I'd rescue the Sekine dork disk and then redonate the bike to the closest co op. Realize the co op can take a part or two or three, put those parts in inventory, and at my co-op, the rest would go in the scrap bin (they sell the scrap too).

Last edited by wrk101; 06-02-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 03:54 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by wrk101
Worth $35? No. Bottom of the barrel bike in mediocre condition, from a time where bottom of the barrel was really low.

It takes just as much time, and just as much $$, to refurbish a bottom end bike as it does something decent. Sometimes "free" bikes aren't a good deal.

Now if someone gave me that bike for free, I'd take it. I'd rescue the Sekine dork disk and then redonate the bike to the closest co op. Realize the co op can take a part or two or three, put those parts in inventory, and at my co-op, the rest would go in the scrap bin (they sell the scrap too).
Originally Posted by branko_76
Is it worth $35.00 ?

Only if you are using it as a learning experience because it will need a complete overhaul.

Do you have the necessary tools to completely dismantle the bike?
I thought so, was looking at other sekines and they are plenty of the same ones. One thing I learned that from working an old raleigh (current project) is that modern wheels do not fit onto older bike frames and it takes a lot of work. Working on a bottom end bike has made me appreciate bikes in general especially if they already come in good conditions.

Thanks guys!
Likes For Frenzen:
Old 06-02-22, 05:43 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
To me, it looks to be and entry level model and $35.00 seems reasonable IF it is in sound working order. If not in road worthy condition, pass...

Old 06-02-22, 05:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I’d pass on this but I’d be a little tempted by the dork disc. Id like to have one for my Sekine.
Old 06-02-22, 05:54 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

I have found a dork disc that I promised to a fellow forum member. Forgot all about it but the promise is still good if he would be good enough to contact me again. Sorry about being so forgetful but old age does strange things, not only to the body, but the mind too.
Old 06-02-22, 07:42 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
To me, it looks to be and entry level model and $35.00 seems reasonable IF it is in sound working order. If not in road worthy condition, pass...
One look at that badly kinked chain and it is far from rideable. Cables are rusty/crusty too.
Old 06-02-22, 08:33 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by wrk101
One look at that badly kinked chain and it is far from rideable. Cables are rusty/crusty too.
So owner took off the chain so its not rideable, I will pass lol
Old 06-02-22, 08:34 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by randyjawa

Thanks randy I see these models going for $100-150 in Montreal, could you post more of that catalog? I would like to see the high end sekines for future reference
Old 06-02-22, 09:29 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
"Worlds finest bike" Thats a big statement.
Likes For Fairlane63:
Old 06-02-22, 11:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairlane63
"Worlds finest bike" Thats a big statement.
Lies per word ratio of 2:3.

I suppose completing the sentence with "made by Sekine" reduces lies per word to 2:6, which for marketing verbiage is honest.
Old 06-03-22, 05:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject is a mid-1970s Sekine SHA/SIA, which was the base model in the adult, lightweight line. Sekine's entry level models were well designed and manufactured bicycles that were good performing and very reliable. They were such good value that the Sekine entry level models were the best selling bicycles in Canada durimg the mid-1970s, having wrestled the title away from Peugeot. From that perspective, the "World Finest Bicycle" moniker is entirely warranted.

The issue with this particular bicycle is the amount of owner abuse and neglect. The amount of labour and parts required to bring it up to presentable and rideable condition would deter most prospective buyers. Bicycles in this state typically turn into money pits. You can usually pick them for free, at garage sales, at the end of the day.
Old 06-03-22, 05:47 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I have the tools and the bulk consumables enough that I could turn that bike around for about $50 assuming those tires are newer. For someone that doesn't have boxes and boxes of parts it would take probably a couple hundred dollars to rebuild it the way I'd like and in the end I'd have a low end bike with rust, bad paint but that functions almost as well as it did (badly) in 197X. With the state of the wheels and other components it is worth buying as a bar bike that saves you a single $35 uber ride but that's about it.

Last edited by Narhay; 06-03-22 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 10:42 AM
randyjawa 

When ever you are researching a bike, add the word catalog, such as Sekine catalog. Many is the time such a Google has produced more and pertinent information as a reward to my quest. Sekine Catalog for 1975.

This Sekine is not the top dog in the kennel, but close to it. The bike features somewhat exotic tubing, forged drops and chrome socks, all indicators of a better quality bike. For what it is worth, I really like this old SHT-270. It looked good, was well made, of Canadian origin (I am a Canadian) and offered a nice ride quality...
Old 06-03-22, 11:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I have the tools and the bulk consumables enough that I could turn that bike around for about $50 assuming those tires are newer. For someone that doesn't have boxes and boxes of parts it would take probably a couple hundred dollars to rebuild it the way I'd like and in the end I'd have a low end bike with rust, bad paint but that functions almost as well as it did (badly) in 197X. With the state of the wheels and other components it is worth buying as a bar bike that saves you a single $35 uber ride but that's about it.
The Sekine SHA/SIA was not a bicycle that functioned badly. I worked in and later managed a Sekine dealership, during this era. Having assembled literally hundreds of this model, I would rank it higher than the direct competition that we carried, which included the CCM Targa, Peugeot A08 and Raleigh Record. We were the best repair shop in town, so we also worked on all the other brands that carried were locally. IMO, Sekine had the best bicycle at this level, during this era. Yes, it was low end but it was far from a bad bicycle when compared with the competition.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-03-22 at 12:46 PM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-03-22, 11:46 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
As others said, $35, if it is a ridable bike, is not bad. If it is a fixer-upper then I would say $10 is more fair. New tires, cables, and chain can easily add up to more than the bike is worth.

Those were inexpensive bikes, and although reasonably well made, there were many thousands of them, and they are in no way rare or a collector's item regardless of condition.
Old 06-04-22, 12:15 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
I'm not going to disagree with any of the previous posts but from my perspective, and I have done this a number of times with low end 70's road bikes, the bike can be completely overhauled using all of the original components with the exception of the original grease.

Every part (bb, hs, hubs, brake levers, calipers, hangers, housings, cables, derailleurs, shifters, spokes, nipples, rims, etc. etc.) would need to be completely deconstructed, cleaned, lubed and reassembled.

It's a lot of work but in the end you have a bike that rides as good as new and if you're a newbie, you've learned two valuable lessons, 1) how to restore a vintage bike and 2) never do that again. : )
Old 06-05-22, 08:44 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
If you are just starting out messing with restoring bikes than that Sekine is a good candidate. $35 ,whats that get you these days ? a head of lettuce and a bag of tomatoes!
Old 06-09-22, 06:15 PM
Frenzen

Someone bought this bike lol, put a chain on it and says it has been tuned up but still looks rusted but wheel rims were cleaned and put it for $180. I am curious if it will sell