Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Crankset Replacement/Upgrade

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-10-22, 04:26 PM
rbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there, I知 new to this type of forum as well as bike maintenance, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I have 2022 Trek Marlin 8 LG with 29in tires and would to upgrade the sram sx eagle groupset to a better set. I believe that my bike has a non-boost setup. Though there is no current issue with it besides the crankset (slight damaged). I would like to at least upgrade it to an sram GX eagle groupset but found some compatibility issues while I was browsing for parts. From my understanding, is that jumping from sx to a gx would require me to change out the freehub to an XD as well as the bottom bracket since my current crankset is non-dub. Has anyone had any experience with changing out this groupset? If so what would I need to do to make the upgrades I wanted. Thank you all for your input.
Old 06-10-22, 06:13 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by rbiking
Hi there, I知 new to this type of forum as well as bike maintenance, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I have 2022 Trek Marlin 8 LG with 29in tires and would to upgrade the sram sx eagle groupset to a better set. I believe that my bike has a non-boost setup. Though there is no current issue with it besides the crankset (slight damaged). I would like to at least upgrade it to an sram GX eagle groupset but found some compatibility issues while I was browsing for parts. From my understanding, is that jumping from sx to a gx would require me to change out the freehub to an XD as well as the bottom bracket since my current crankset is non-dub. Has anyone had any experience with changing out this groupset? If so what would I need to do to make the upgrades I wanted. Thank you all for your input.

Going from SX to GX would be marginal i would think --- better to just swap the damaged crankset and keep rockin'. You will not get a real performance gain swapping to a different cassette and freehub body -- but might save some weight - those SX and NX cassettes are "all there" on the scale

The sirens song of a new bike will call to you soon enough
Old 06-10-22, 08:02 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
And you don't have to match everything. If you do upgrade everything you don't have to install a GX cassette, or just upgrade to the GX crankset and leave everything else alone. You don't even have to stay with Sram if you change cranksets.

And what is wrong with your crank? There really isn't much to damage other than bending the chainring and you can cheaply replace the chainring.
Old 06-11-22, 05:10 AM
rbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Going from SX to GX would be marginal i would think --- better to just swap the damaged crankset and keep rockin'. You will not get a real performance gain swapping to a different cassette and freehub body -- but might save some weight - those SX and NX cassettes are "all there" on the scale

The sirens song of a new bike will call to you soon enough
The other parts seems to be in working order except for the chainring, a tooth was damage while going down a trail. Swapping it does seem to be the better option at the moment. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-11-22, 05:19 AM
rbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
And you don't have to match everything. If you do upgrade everything you don't have to install a GX cassette, or just upgrade to the GX crankset and leave everything else alone. You don't even have to stay with Sram if you change cranksets.

And what is wrong with your crank? There really isn't much to damage other than bending the chainring and you can cheaply replace the chainring.
Cranks chainring was damage while we were out on the trail. Was told by a buddy of mine I should try to upgrade the drivetrain while I知 at it. He mentioned there were shifting lags with the SX models and notice while we were riding around. I値l keep in mind what you have mentioned. I appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 06-11-22, 08:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
By all accounts there is a performance difference going from SX to GX. However, that difference is due almost entirely to the shifter and deraileurs.

Crank does not make a d@mn bit of difference other than weight. Just replace the chainring.

And there are plenty of cassettes out there that will work with your HG hub.

Is this 11 or 12 speed?
Old 06-20-22, 10:16 PM
rbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
By all accounts there is a performance difference going from SX to GX. However, that difference is due almost entirely to the shifter and deraileurs.

Crank does not make a d@mn bit of difference other than weight. Just replace the chainring.

And there are plenty of cassettes out there that will work with your HG hub.

Is this 11 or 12 speed?
The bike has a 12 gear cassettes on it with sx eagle derailleur.