Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Every ride...a flat

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Every ride...a flat

Old 06-12-22, 07:23 PM
geneg

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every ride...a flat

Hi guys, I live in Boca Raton FL and ride along A1A every Sunday for 4 years since my move here. I ride Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra on Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyre, Full Black Reflex, 700 x 28c.

(about 1K on them) and about 2 month ago, I started to get flat tire every time I rode. After couple of flats, I brought my bike to a shop and they replaced an inner liner on my rear wheel (only rear tire got punctured so far)

Next Sunday ride, flat again. Got an outer liner on my rear tire, guess what happened next ride...flat. When replacing tubes, I usually go with my hand thru the inners of the wheel to find something that punctured, nothing to be found, Was suggested to replace my tires with Gatorskins. Thinking of doing it. But for now...

So my questions is, what can cause those punctures? Any suggestions based on your experience? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-22, 07:26 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by geneg
Hi guys, I live in Boca Raton FL and ride along A1A every Sunday for 4 years since my move here. I ride Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra on Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyre, Full Black Reflex, 700 x 28c.

(about 1K on them) and about 2 month ago, I started to get flat tire every time I rode. After couple of flats, I brought my bike to a shop and they replaced an inner liner on my rear wheel (only rear tire got punctured so far)

Next Sunday ride, flat again. Got an outer liner on my rear tire, guess what happened next ride...flat. When replacing tubes, I usually go with my hand thru the inners of the wheel to find something that punctured, nothing to be found, Was suggested to replace my tires with Gatorskins. Thinking of doing it. But for now...

So my questions is, what can cause those punctures? Any suggestions based on your experience? Thanks in advance.
i feel this thread, and am curious what people say.

i rode approx 7,000 miles since jan 2021 without a single flat. then a slow leak a month or two ago and three flats since then. three kinds of tubes, two tires, one shop change, the others by me, no sharp bits inside the tire…. at wits end! same roads as all the other miles 😑
Old 06-12-22, 08:08 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Are you able to pinpoint the location of the flat on the tube? Then match that up to the point on the tyre/wheel?
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-12-22, 08:18 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Is it the same exact tire that flats? I don't know the answer to your problem, but last summer I started getting weekly flats in my rear tire. I found the location of the leak in the tube, carefully checked the tire for issues, and replaced the tube only to get another flat the next week. I even took the tire in to my LBS to see if they saw any problem. They didn't, so I again replaced the tube and the next week got a flat. I was running Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which should be pretty flat-resistant. Anyway, after five weeks of this, I threw out my rear tire, moved the Marathon Plus that was on the front to the rear, and haven't had a flat since. It's clear that my tire had some problem that neither I nor my LBS could detect. That's my experience, and when I was in your position, I discarded the tire that kept flatting, which solved the problem.
Old 06-12-22, 08:55 PM
geneg

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Is it the same exact tire that flats? I don't know the answer to your problem, but last summer I started getting weekly flats in my rear tire. I found the location of the leak in the tube, carefully checked the tire for issues, and replaced the tube only to get another flat the next week. I even took the tire in to my LBS to see if they saw any problem. They didn't, so I again replaced the tube and the next week got a flat. I was running Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which should be pretty flat-resistant. Anyway, after five weeks of this, I threw out my rear tire, moved the Marathon Plus that was on the front to the rear, and haven't had a flat since. It's clear that my tire had some problem that neither I nor my LBS could detect. That's my experience, and when I was in your position, I discarded the tire that kept flatting, which solved the problem.
Yep, that I was going to do. I have one old Gator..., will replace the problematic tire to see if it will solve the flat problem. Thanks
Old 06-12-22, 09:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm a huge fan of patching tubes with the flatted tire on hand. Now I can match up the patch to the tire and know exactly where to look for the problem.I don't rest easy until I know what caused that flat. If at all possible, I patch tires at the roadside and reuse the tire. Both to locate the issue and flatten the patch with tire pressure against the tire. (And I still have 2 spare tubes to go.)

Now, there are holes so small that finding them outdoors with roadside noise is impossible. The spare goes in and I am nervous 'till I get home unless I found the cause with my eyes or fingers. At home, I inflate the tube and find the hole under water. Then patch the tube, pull the spare and go looking for the cause.

For multiple flats on the same tire, that patched tube tells you a lot. 2 or more holes at your first patch makes the cause obvious. (Or egual distance from the valve on the other side.) A huge help in finding those tiny steel wires from car treads that can be 1/16" long and barely thicker than a hair (and can embed themselves completely inside the tread).
Old 06-12-22, 11:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
For tubed setups that repeatedly flat, it may be something embedded in the tire, or it may be something in the rim bed, especially on single wall rims, e.g., spoke nipple edge burr, etc. Remove the rim bed liner or rim tape, thoroughly clean the inside of the rim, blow it out with a compressor, feel for anything even slightly prickly, then install new rim bed liner or tape.
Old 06-13-22, 07:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You absolutely need to determine why each flat happened. Otherwise unless your flats are from road hazards puncturing the tread into the tube you'll continue to have flats regardless of what tires you put on the bike.

If you can't diagnose the causes then you might benefit going tubeless.
Old 06-13-22, 09:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I had a similar issue once and it was the tire's internal sidewall that had a manufacturer defect (the fibres were torn or something like that and there was a weak round spot). When the tube was inflated, it was rubbing against that defect and tearing for that reason.

If your pressure is good and replacing the tube didn't solve your problem, the next logical thing to do is to get a new tire.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-13-22, 09:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Again, patch your tubes and reuse them. (And keep the tire mounted the same each time - with the label at the valve or opposite.) The patches become a running documentary on your issues.

I know, nobody has time to patch tubes. But I'll bet that had the OP been patching his, he wouldn't have enev needed t come on the forum to ask what's going on.
Old 06-13-22, 09:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I Patch mine at home and then TEST Them for 24 hours.

Old 06-13-22, 09:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Flats happen randomly, that’s just how it is. Of course you check for intrusions and that the rim bed is ok, but flats are caused most often by random road debris, which means they can happen anytime…literally. There’s an expression, “a run of bad luck…”
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-13-22, 12:37 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
You wouldn't happen to be pinch flatting, would you? Low pressures for comfort, then hit a patch of square-edged broken pavement at-speed?
Old 06-13-22, 01:01 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Apparently, the cycling Gods are upset.
Old 06-13-22, 01:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Have you tried turning the tire inside out? You could have a tiny piece of wire from a shredded car/truck tire that you can’t feel with your finger.

Several years ago while on tour I woke up to a flat tire. The leak was so small I had to run the tube through a convenient puddle to find the puncture. Once I did I matched it up with the tire but still couldn’t feel anything until I turned the tire inside out. That’s how I found the piece of wire. It was maybe 1/8 of an inch long.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-22, 01:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You absolutely need to determine why each flat happened...
If you decide to replace the tires here is a very good option...

Old 06-13-22, 01:54 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Try running a used dryer sheet, piece of old soft t-shirt or handkerchief around the tire-preferably with the tire off so you can run it over all surfaces. If nothing in the tire snags, do the same with the rim. Cotton balls work too. Fingers might not find a snag but one of those things should.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-13-22, 02:45 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Someone mentioned changing the liner or rim tape. When doing that make sure it is the right width. I had this same issue once and the rim tape seemed fine until I realized it was just a bit too narrow and it would squirm over enough to expose a spoke hole edge and that caused the flats
Likes For obuckler:
Old 06-13-22, 02:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you tried turning the tire inside out? You could have a tiny piece of wire from a shredded car/truck tire that you can’t feel with your finger.

Several years ago while on tour I woke up to a flat tire. The leak was so small I had to run the tube through a convenient puddle to find the puncture. Once I did I matched it up with the tire but still couldn’t feel anything until I turned the tire inside out. That’s how I found the piece of wire. It was maybe 1/8 of an inch long.
I had one of those last year. I could feel it on the inside of the tire, and JUST see it, barely, but I don't wear my glasses to ride, and I had a hell of a time trying to grab hold of it with my fingernails and pull it out, by the side of the road.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-13-22, 08:57 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Also try checking the rims. There may be sharp metal poking out to the inner tube....Something that escaped quality control during manufacture of the rims. Even a liner won't help in situations like that. You'll need to carefully file down such defects or grind them away with a small grinder like the small wheel grinder dentists use.
Old 06-13-22, 09:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm a huge fan of patching tubes with the flatted tire on hand. Now I can match up the patch to the tire and know exactly where to look for the problem.I don't rest easy until I know what caused that flat. If at all possible, I patch tires at the roadside and reuse the tire. Both to locate the issue and flatten the patch with tire pressure against the tire. (And I still have 2 spare tubes to go.)

Now, there are holes so small that finding them outdoors with roadside noise is impossible. The spare goes in and I am nervous 'till I get home unless I found the cause with my eyes or fingers. At home, I inflate the tube and find the hole under water. Then patch the tube, pull the spare and go looking for the cause.

For multiple flats on the same tire, that patched tube tells you a lot. 2 or more holes at your first patch makes the cause obvious. (Or egual distance from the valve on the other side.) A huge help in finding those tiny steel wires from car treads that can be 1/16" long and barely thicker than a hair (and can embed themselves completely inside the tread).
Personally I don't change tires on the side of the road. Id rather walk/jog 2-3 hours home until I can get to a decent base to change my tires. Been burned too many times getting a flat after changing tubes on the road and don't like that stress
Old 06-13-22, 10:05 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by genejockey
I had one of those last year. I could feel it on the inside of the tire, and JUST see it, barely, but I don't wear my glasses to ride, and I had a hell of a time trying to grab hold of it with my fingernails and pull it out, by the side of the road.
Trick - the pliers on my Leatherman are the best I've ever used for things like tire hairs. They have real bite right out to the end. Open them 1/8", press firrmly into the tire, squeeze and pull. I've also bought very good tweezers in the women's cosmetics in supermarkets. I've never pulled tire hairs with them so I don't know if they have the grip to do that. (Excellent for picking out tiny splinters and broken thorns out of skin. My yard's got roses, raspberries, black berries and marionberries.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-13-22, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Personally I don't change tires on the side of the road. Id rather walk/jog 2-3 hours home until I can get to a decent base to change my tires. Been burned too many times getting a flat after changing tubes on the road and don't like that stress
Consider finding a coop and signing up for a tire repair class. I can repair 5 flats and be home, showered and fed before you get back.
Old 06-13-22, 10:22 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I seem to be getting more flats this year than previous years but I believe it’s just random. I usually average 3-4 flats a year . I’m already up to 5 this year . I ride every week and pretty much year round. All but one flat this year have been thorns … drought? I dunno it just seems to be one of those years. I now have more patch experience so …?
Old 06-13-22, 10:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
[QUOTE=79pmooney;22540660]Consider finding a coop and signing up for a tire repair class. I can repair 5 flats and be home, showered and fed before you get back.[/ can ]
I can change 23mm tires without levers in a few minutes, it just pisses me off when a tube fails after swapping. Like it makes me unreasonably upset, id rather just walk a couple of hours. Flats just really upset me, idk why

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.