Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Body Glide vs chamois cream

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 07:36 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts

As a runner I use Body Glide to prevent chafing. I use it as a chamois cream substitute on longer rides. Does anybody have experience with both and would like to compare? I have a long 125 mile 15,000' ride coming up soon and in the past what has suffered the most has been the arse. I suspect that having an additional application along might be helpful as either product will wear off during the ride.
Thanks
Old 06-15-22, 07:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
What is Body Glide? I presume it's a brand of cream. There are hundreds of different brands/types of chamois cream too. So what exactly are we comparing here? I expect they are much the same type of thing, just marketed differently.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-22, 07:57 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I use body glide if hiking in humid conditions. Mine comes in a large capstick-like device, you rub it onto areas subject to friction. It is a solid probably made from wax, oils, and other ingredients. There is a place on my underarm that I use it to prevent chafing when hiking. Rule 5 does not apply when backpacking.

I used to sing the praises of Lantiseptic cream but they changed the formulation, it is no longer as thick as it used to be. I am now experimenting with 100% lanolin. I seek a barrier from salt and undesirable organisms more than a lubricant. So, something very thick that does not break down. Bag balm is fair. Wish I had a good recommendation. The menthol or whatever they put in Assos stuff helps with soreness but as a lube, it does not last long.
Old 06-15-22, 08:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
As a runner I use Body Glide to prevent chafing. I use it as a chamois cream substitute on longer rides. Does anybody have experience with both and would like to compare? I have a long 125 mile 15,000' ride coming up soon and in the past what has suffered the most has been the arse. I suspect that having an additional application along might be helpful as either product will wear off during the ride.
Thanks
I would take whichever brand comes in a small application package so you can take it along for multiple applications during the ride. It doesn't take a lot of time/effort to reapply. a ride that long needs more than 1 application. Usually I'll get a couple of samples in a ride swag bag.

BTW, I'm a runner also. This product works as well as Body Glide and is cheaper. Sold at Walmart among other places. Also, I use Liquid Skin or some generic version for nipple chafing. I sweat too much for band aid type products. Not that much of a problem on the bike, so I just put some friction control type stuff there.

https://www.goldbond.com/en-us/produ...iction-defense

Last edited by seypat; 06-15-22 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-15-22, 08:12 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I would take whichever brand comes in a small application package so you can take it along for multiple applications during the ride. It doesn't take a lot of time/effort to reapply.

BTW, I'm a runner also. This product works as well as Body Glide and is cheaper. Sold at Walmart among other places.

+1

That is what I use. I think the little one is in the travel section
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-15-22, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
BTW, I'm a runner also. This product works as well as Body Glide and is cheaper. Sold at Walmart among other places. Also, I use Liquid Skin or some generic version for nipple chafing. I sweat too much for band aid type products. Not that much of a problem on the bike, so I just put some friction control type stuff there.

This is what I use, too. I don't generally have chafing issues, but I do find that it helps me to, uh, get situated and stay comfortably settled-in on longer and/or more intense rides.
Old 06-15-22, 11:25 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Shameless plug and full disclosure - I am directly a part of this company - but ButtonHole Chamois cream.

We used to have 8g packets for re-application along the ride. We hope to have those back again but a lot of riders will use a small reusable container to take some along for super long rides.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-15-22, 11:49 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Thank you. I’m going to look for this.

I have Body Glide in a stick and tube. I prefer the squeeze tube but I’ve always liked Gold Bond products so I’ll try this out for sure.

Old 06-15-22, 12:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
The stuff I use is called "Glide". Likely the same thing, originally used by triathletes to reduce chafing in the wet suits. Little cigarette pack sized yellow plastic container. Its all I uses as I found it to be the most persistent anti-chafing solution, better than all the chamois creams I've tried. REI sells it,
Old 06-15-22, 12:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
what about dz nuts?
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-15-22, 01:01 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Shameless plug and full disclosure - I am directly a part of this company - but ButtonHole Chamois cream.

We used to have 8g packets for re-application along the ride. We hope to have those back again but a lot of riders will use a small reusable container to take some along for super long rides.
Big fan of the chamois creme, I use the small packs when I can find them or use the small disposable contact lens cases/holders if traveling for a couple of days. A case of the lens holders are $5.00 and a couple will slip easily into your back pocket.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 06-15-22, 01:31 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Waters60:
What's the 125 mile, 15,000 ft climbing ride you will be doing?
Old 06-15-22, 03:53 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'm overweight. I ride, now, 25 milers on roads. The Gold Bond didn't work as well as Body Glide did when I weighed 20 lbs more than I do now. Gold Bond is cheaper, though.

I've never used 'chamois cream'. That's partly because I object to the use of 'chamois' when referring to modern pads, and more because I haven't found a cream that doesn't have petroleum products in it. Petroleum Jelly reportedly can clog pores, which dermatologists think is not good for human beings. Neither BG nor GB use petroleum. I've also used a product called 'unpetroleum jelly''; I git better results with both BG and GB.
Old 06-15-22, 04:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I've ridden a few centuries in recent years on my fix gear in recent years, riding to and from the start finish so ~130 mile days. I just apply plenty of Bag Balm before I leave the house and forget about it. Don't bring any (or anything else) because I won't need it.

Bag Balm's been around for 120 years and probably used as chamois fat 110 years. I've been using it 30 years. Plenty of time for the issues philbob57 is worried about to show up. Haven't heard them yet. I know for me, if I use enough, ongoing issues don't get worse and new ones don't show up. (Well, it doesn't do the magic and make bad seats good but if I had to ride them ...)

Oh, yes, my centuries don't have the huge amounts of climbing but fix gear descents are radically harder on the undercarriage than going uphill! Big tailwinds aren't entirely a blessing either.
Old 06-15-22, 05:44 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Petroleum Jelly promotes healing... its how it was discovered by oil rig workers.

Fun fact - polysporin is almost all petroleum jelly. they just use the white version so you don't think it's just PJ. the other stuff is antibiotics, the over-use of which causes other issues and in most cases where polysporin is used, cheaper PJ would be a better choice.

PJ is a decent pad lube
Old 06-15-22, 11:57 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
not to derail, but at what distances does chamois cream become very useful? Ive ridden 80 miles in gym shorts without much issue (chronic saddle sores and butt chafing notwithstanding, it beats the issues ive had with padded bib shorts.) Can you use this product with regular underwear and basketball shorts?
Old 06-16-22, 07:09 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Ive ridden 80 miles in gym shorts without much issue (chronic saddle sores and butt chafing notwithstanding...)

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
not to derail, but at what distances does chamois cream become very useful?...

Can you use this product with regular underwear and basketball shorts?
Uhhm, it's worth a try? If you think that chronic saddle sores and butt chafing is no biggie, I think it's fair to say that your standards are outlier and there's a good chance that YMMV.
Old 06-16-22, 11:21 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I'm overweight. I ride, now, 25 milers on roads. The Gold Bond didn't work as well as Body Glide did when I weighed 20 lbs more than I do now. Gold Bond is cheaper, though.

I've never used 'chamois cream'. That's partly because I object to the use of 'chamois' when referring to modern pads, and more because I haven't found a cream that doesn't have petroleum products in it. Petroleum Jelly reportedly can clog pores, which dermatologists think is not good for human beings. Neither BG nor GB use petroleum. I've also used a product called 'unpetroleum jelly''; I git better results with both BG and GB.
You're in Chicago...and have never tried chamois cream. Just feel the need to point out Enzo's ButtonHole Chamois Cream is locally made and doesn't contain any petroleum products. We sell tens of thousands of jars a year on a product that we have developed over 13 years. As I said before: the old bike forums used to look down on turning posts into ads but it's such a basic product and nominal cost - give it a shot.

Heck you're local - pm me where you are near and I can probably tell you which shop near you carries it.

Old 06-16-22, 01:49 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I use Body Glide
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The stuff I use is called "Glide".
I'm a big fan of AstroGlide

...oh, wait, wrong forum.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-16-22, 01:54 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I'm a big fan of AstroGlide

...oh, wait, wrong forum.
Well, some probably think it appropriate given their accusations against "Big Bike"...
Old 06-17-22, 05:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Chris Horner suggested using Noxema. He said he used it during his pro career. I had been using Assos but gave it a try and it worked well. Saving a lot of money too.
Old 06-17-22, 06:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
for extra on while on a ride, priced though for convenience
Old 06-17-22, 10:15 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

I just started using ButtonHole when Kucharik went away. I purchased those little packets at my LBS. There is a lot in each little pack! I could probably do 2 applications per package.

The BH spreads really easy and application is a breeze. Kucharik was super thick, and had incredible staying power. Anyway, ButtonHole works good, and I will continue to use it.
Old 06-17-22, 10:53 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Chris Horner suggested using Noxema. He said he used it during his pro career. I had been using Assos but gave it a try and it worked well. Saving a lot of money too.
I went with Horner's Noxema suggestion. Seemed going well until I did a 600km brevet in two solid days of rain. I only re-applied at the overnight at around 350km; probably in those conditions a mid-day reapplication is essential.
Old 06-17-22, 11:18 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
for extra on while on a ride, priced though for convenience
Most of my cycling friends who are fans of mid-ride re-application* use small plastic screw-top containers (like the ones that folks store their contact lenses in) which they refill at home from the far more economical large sized chamois cream containers.

*perhaps interestingly, all of my cycling friends who are fans of mid-ride re-application are female.
Likes For Bob Ross:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.