Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's less uncool?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's less uncool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 03:19 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
What's less uncool?

So Even though I'm only 52 arthritis in my hands and some other issues have made riding super painful, and I don't want to take to live pain medication. Sooooo I've been thinking recumbent or a more upright city bike. My concerns are with a more upright style city bike type, A. heavy and slow, B. I don't think I'm old enough for a city type bike. With a recumbent A. I live in a very high traffic area, so will people see me? and B. I wonder how long it will take to get used to riding one.
Old 06-21-22, 03:47 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
So Even though I'm only 52 arthritis in my hands and some other issues have made riding super painful, and I don't want to take to live pain medication. Sooooo I've been thinking recumbent or a more upright city bike. My concerns are with a more upright style city bike type, A. heavy and slow, B. I don't think I'm old enough for a city type bike. With a recumbent A. I live in a very high traffic area, so will people see me? and B. I wonder how long it will take to get used to riding one.
Upright doesn't have to be "heavy and slow".
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-21-22, 04:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Not all recumbents are equal. Low racer, high racer, 26/26, 26/20, etc. Difference in rider height and maneuverability vary greatly. Tradeoffs are typically around performance.

As far as learning curve, if you're committed you can get comfortable in a couple hundred miles. The more you work at it, with dedicated low speed practice sessions for example, the quicker that will occur. It takes a season of riding to fully adapt.

Ken
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-21-22, 04:11 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Racing trike, with one of those orange flags?
Old 06-21-22, 06:00 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
If you’re happy with your current bike (except position) perhaps use a riser stem?
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 06-21-22, 08:02 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
It's easy to make recumbent highly visible with pole and brightly colored flags and/or lights.

But my main fear about recumbents is getting under a vehicle in an accident. That said, crashing on a recumbent without involving a vehicle is actually safer than upright bikes since there is less height for you to fall to the ground. The low riding height would also make it more stable.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-21-22, 08:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
There is a recumbent bike group that rides on a regular basis near me. Some of them have 700 wheels that sit pretty tall. My only venture into a recumbent had underseat steering. I just couldn't get used to it. They have a lot of flat bar adventure bikes available now that might be worth checking out.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-21-22, 08:39 PM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Try cutting all sugar out of your diet except what is natural and see if your arthritis goes away. No soda, beer, cake, pie, candy-bars, energy bars, no anything with sugar, corn-syrup etc. as one of the main ingredients. Eat apples and other fruit for sugar. Most arthritis is greatly magnified by poor lifestyle choices. Both of my parents have bad arthritis in their mid-80s but have had it for decades, twisting their fingers and feet and making them wince with pain. I know I have it too, and if I eat crappy food and sit on my butt it pops up, but if I eat mainly a fruit, vegetable diet and keep on moving it disappears and I don't even think about it at all.
Likes For beng1:
Old 06-21-22, 09:25 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
What are you riding now and what is the position like?
Old 06-21-22, 09:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I’m also 52 and I’ve had great success using weed cream, with both THC and CBD, on my arthritic knees, so that may be something to look into for managing the pain and allowing you to continue riding on your current bike.

Also, my arthritis came on strong initially, but has ameliorated over the years, and I seem not to get the really debilitating and painful flareups I once did. Dunno if this is a newish thing for you and whether you can look forward to the possibility of a similar trajectory, but I hope so.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-22-22, 03:54 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What are you riding now and what is the position like?
I am usually always down on the drops, because the brakes do not work well enough with the upper levers to do any good. I will have to work on that someday when I get a chance. I am sixty years old.

Old 06-22-22, 06:52 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 727 Posts
Change your bars and hand grips to something comfortable. They don't have to be set to a totally upright ride position.

(Keep getting your arthritis advice from your Rheumatologist.)
Old 06-22-22, 07:00 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
What are you currently riding? I cannot put weight on my wrists due to nerve damage there. I opted for a bike with a sloping top tube and put a higher stem on it. That got the bars significantly above the seat. Disc brakes help me a lot, also. Ditto to drop bars where I can ride with a light touch in the hoods. There are lots of options, including but certainly not limited to a hybrid.

Old 06-22-22, 07:20 AM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by timdow
What are you currently riding? I cannot put weight on my wrists due to nerve damage there. I opted for a bike with a sloping top tube and put a higher stem on it. That got the bars significantly above the seat. Disc brakes help me a lot, also. Ditto to drop bars where I can ride with a light touch in the hoods. There are lots of options, including but certainly not limited to a hybrid.

I'm currently riding a GT Grade carbon, It's a gravel bike so it's not as aggressive as a regular road bike and it has 32mm tires so it's much softer than a traditional road bike.
Old 06-22-22, 07:32 AM
big john

Originally Posted by beng1
I am usually always down on the drops, because the brakes do not work well enough with the upper levers to do any good. I will have to work on that someday when I get a chance. I am sixty years old.

By the position of the saddle it seems the top tube is too long for you. If you want to try and fix it up without spending a lot you could try a tall Nitto stem. A tall, short stem will bring the bar up and back toward you.
Reposition the brake levers up a bit and get some padded bar tape. I've even double wrapped the bar tape on a stiff riding bike.

Some new pads and maybe even new cables will probably help the brakes a bit.

Also, work on supporting your upper body with your core muscles instead of leaning on your hands so much. You should be able to motor along with just a light pressure on your hands, even ride with your hands just "floating" above the bars.
Old 06-22-22, 07:37 AM
big john

I'm currently riding a GT Grade carbon, It's a gravel bike so it's not as aggressive as a regular road bike and it has 32mm tires so it's much softer than a traditional road bike.
I just realized I responded to a different poster but the "light touch" on the bar thing still applies. How is your bike set up? Are you stretched out too much?
You should be able to ride with your elbows bent.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-22-22, 07:40 AM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by timdow
I just realized I responded to a different poster but the "light touch" on the bar thing still applies. How is your bike set up? Are you stretched out too much?
You should be able to ride with your elbows bent.

It's fit well, more for comfort than speed for sure
Old 06-22-22, 07:42 AM
big john

Originally Posted by beng1
Here is a quill stem touring bike with a tall Nitto stem. It brought the bar up a few inches from where it was. I sold the bike last year.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-22-22, 07:51 AM
big john

It's fit well, more for comfort than speed for sure
I worked as a car mechanic so I had hand and wrist pain over the years. While I was still working I had to run hot water over my hands in the morning. Several years ago I kept a slab of gel inside my left glove. Sometimes I would tape my wrist and I used double tape on the bar. Lately it is much better. I retired in 2019 and my position on the bike is better for my hands.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-22-22, 08:10 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
When I’m not in a hurry, I ride my fat bike to work. Nothing better than passing a roadie on 27.5x4.5 tires. They are fun to ride, always get kids pointing at them and super comfortable.

and get these grips.
https://www.rei.com/product/884444/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For xseal:
Old 06-22-22, 08:22 AM
dougphoto

I worked as a car mechanic so I had hand and wrist pain over the years. While I was still working I had to run hot water over my hands in the morning. Several years ago I kept a slab of gel inside my left glove. Sometimes I would tape my wrist and I used double tape on the bar. Lately it is much better. I retired in 2019 and my position on the bike is better for my hands.

Last summer I rode all summer with a small piece of pipe insulation around my brake hoods.
Old 06-22-22, 08:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
On a recumbent you are around 42 inches off the ground or the height of a child and maybe 50-60 inches off the ground on an upright. Do cars not see children due to height?

I am faster on my recumbent compared to an upright city type bike ......over all types of terrain. I am slower on hilly routes compared to a racing bike. I do not find an upright city type bike to necessarily be easier on hands. That is a complicated thing to resolve.

Motorists have tended to give me a wider berth on my bent, I suppose they assume I am disabled or really uncool bias being what it is.

It took me a lot longer to get comfortable on my bent BUT I started with a racing style recumbent that is very hard to ride. There are all sorts of bents, some easier to ride than others.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-22-22, 08:39 AM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
On a recumbent you are around 42 inches off the ground or the height of a child and maybe 50-60 inches off the ground on an upright. Do cars not see children due to height?

I am faster on my recumbent compared to an upright city type bike ......over all types of terrain. I am slower on hilly routes compared to a racing bike. I do not find an upright city type bike to necessarily be easier on hands. That is a complicated thing to resolve.

Motorists have tended to give me a wider berth on my bent, I suppose they assume I am disabled or really uncool bias being what it is.

It took me a lot longer to get comfortable on my bent BUT I started with a racing style recumbent that is very hard to ride. There are all sorts of bents, some easier to ride than others.

Excellent, things seem to be pointing to a bent
Old 06-22-22, 04:45 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by xseal
When I’m not in a hurry, I ride my fat bike to work. Nothing better than passing a roadie on 27.5x4.5 tires. They are fun to ride, always get kids pointing at them and super comfortable.

and get these grips.
https://www.rei.com/product/884444/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
funny thing - those ergo grips that most rave about are one of the only grips that bother me

they bother me when I ride - and bother me when I'm moving a bike around and the extended part of the grip gets caught on something ... ughhh !

many love them - but there will be no endorsement from me lol
Old 06-22-22, 04:50 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Last summer I rode all summer with a small piece of pipe insulation around my brake hoods.
yikes

if the fit of your current bike is good - doubt a move to a city bike / hybrid will provide much relief (?)

and some will find a flat bar bike less comfortable than a road bike with drop bars because the drop bars provide additional hand positions)
Likes For t2p:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.