Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Can this crack be fixed?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Can this crack be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 09:02 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Can this crack be fixed?

I was washing my bike after a dirty ride yesterday and found this crack near my rear dropout which wraps nearly 3/4 of the way around. On closer inspection, the crack doesn't even look new.

It's an aluminum frame. Yeah.

If this is even fixable, what am I looking for in a "fixer"? Start at a local bike shop or just go straight to finding a welder?

The bike is nearing 20 years old and sadly probably less than 5k miles. It was less than $1500 new and the components (Ultegra) are all good. If the cost of the repair is too much (how much?) and leaves too many unknowns, then I am fine to find a new frame and build that up.

Thanks for your advice.
Paul

Old 05-22-22, 09:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
It's possible, and also likely to be uneconomic.

It really depends on the aluminum alloy. Some don't need post weld heat treating, others do but you can just let the weld age. Do you know what kind of aluminum it was made from?

There are plenty of good welders out there, but the ones that can do this either work on bicycles (not that many) or are doing something else and aren't available to you. It would take a lot of luck to find a local welder that could do this right.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-22-22, 10:32 AM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's possible, and also likely to be uneconomic.

It really depends on the aluminum alloy. Some don't need post weld heat treating, others do but you can just let the weld age. Do you know what kind of aluminum it was made from?

There are plenty of good welders out there, but the ones that can do this either work on bicycles (not that many) or are doing something else and aren't available to you. It would take a lot of luck to find a local welder that could do this right.
The alloy is called "x-fusion quaternary aluminum". It's a 2003 Fuji Team Road. Someone in an old thread in Bike Forums said it could be "a mixture of aluminum, magnesium, silicon, and copper," but that's one mention on the internet so who knows.

Last edited by pennpaul; 05-22-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-22-22, 03:39 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I don't know if you are the original owner, but it might be a warrantee issue. You might contact a Fuji dealer and see what they say. If the warrantee is a no go, I would strip the paint back and grind a v-groove around it and weld it.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 05-22-22, 04:08 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by headwind15
I don't know if you are the original owner, but it might be a warrantee issue. You might contact a Fuji dealer and see what they say. If the warrantee is a no go, I would strip the paint back and grind a v-groove around it and weld it.
Yes, I am considering the warranty route. I am the original owner. I bought (and financed--0%) through Performance Bike in 2003 or 2004, but I think they're gone and if I do have the paperwork, it'll be in storage which I won't see until the fall. Anyway, I'm patient and have another bike.
Old 05-22-22, 08:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
IIRC Fuji has changed owners over the years. Let us know how it goes if you do ask for a warranty coverage.

I do agree with the mentioned issues with a repair. There's a reason why many Al frames offered only a limited frame coverage (5 years was once a common period). Andy.
Old 05-22-22, 10:37 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC Fuji has changed owners over the years. Let us know how it goes if you do ask for a warranty coverage.
I don't have high hopes. They're owned by PGWbikes and I need to register the bike first. I don't even remember when or how much I bought it for which is on the registration form. I just know it wasn't MSRP.

We'll see.
Old 05-24-22, 05:30 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Not entirely sure what alloy "x-fusion quaternary aluminum" actually is, but I did see that some other alu fuji bikes from that era listed as 7005 series which can be TIG welded without needling full heat treatment like is required for 6061. Fuji also had frames of "x-fusion quaternary aluminum" mated together with carbon rear triangle tubes which I would think would be more difficult to fabricate if the aluminum used had required full T6 heat treatment. (Heat treating the combine aluminum + carbon together would likely not work).

If you do try a TIG repair, it might be advisable to fabricate a solid aluminum internal plug, spread the break enough to tightly insert the plug into the dropout end of the broken tube, and then fit it back together with the plug protruding and spanning the break in the tube. Then, TIG weld the plug and broken tube ends back together with the internal plug providing further support for this weak area? Weight gain from aluminum plug would be negligible but it could increase chances of a successful repair.
Likes For GrayJay:
Old 05-25-22, 04:07 AM
Wiel

Bikes: Home made

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Amazon has some aluminum brazes tested in this YouTube video: Alu brazing
Cut the crack with a grinder, clean and braze with propane or MAP gas ; fill completely.

Wiel
Likes For Wiel:
Old 05-25-22, 05:39 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiel
Amazon has some aluminum brazes tested in this YouTube video: Alu brazing
Cut the crack with a grinder, clean and braze with propane or MAP gas ; fill completely.

Wiel
I'm not sure that kind of aluminium brazing has much strength. It really needs a TIG weld.
Old 05-25-22, 06:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Yes, aluminum braze is mostly cosmetic, for very low-stress applications.

I just noticed the OP's location. I'm not sure what to say about finding a welder that could do this properly, a bike shop might know or a frame builder if there are any nearby. There are a lot of welders near me, but I'm not sure any of them can do this. It's not horribly difficult as aluminum welds go, I don't think. Maybe if I found one of the old cannondale welders, they probably live within an hour's drive
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-25-22, 01:52 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I just noticed the OP's location. I'm not sure what to say about finding a welder that could do this properly, a bike shop might know or a frame builder if there are any nearby.
I asked my local bike buddies but they couldn't think of anyone to do it (and didn't think it would be a good idea anyway).

We leave back to the US in a couple months. This bike will rejoin me in the fall and then I'll explore the warranty route first. If that doesn't pan out, the idea is to move the components over to a new Waltly Ti frame but build it more for touring. There are no rack mounts on this broken frame. It's a 9-speed bike but has good components, and until last weekend, was an overall good bike to ride. Until then I have my gravel bike to ride.
Old 06-20-22, 06:53 AM
JISO

Bikes: Piazza-Rossin Pista, Vitus 979, Trouyez Randonneuse, Alan Competizione, Ikea Sladda

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
Yes, I am considering the warranty route. I am the original owner. I bought (and financed--0%) through Performance Bike in 2003 or 2004, but I think they're gone and if I do have the paperwork, it'll be in storage which I won't see until the fall. Anyway, I'm patient and have another bike.
So you bought an aluminum frame in 2004 and it cracked 20 years later and you're gonna file a warranty claim from Central America?
Likes For JISO:
Old 06-20-22, 11:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Trek would warranty it if it was one of theirs. Not sure if anyone else would though.
Old 06-20-22, 12:14 PM
JISO

Bikes: Piazza-Rossin Pista, Vitus 979, Trouyez Randonneuse, Alan Competizione, Ikea Sladda

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Aren't those warranties usually restricted to US and maybe Canada?
Old 06-20-22, 08:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
There's a big area between what a warranty says in print and what a company might offer. A lot of this depends on the approach of the claim and who is backing it (like a long time Fuji dealer with some relationship with the company's "in house" staff). Andy
Old 06-21-22, 03:25 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by JISO
Interesting, thanks. Aren't those warranties usually restricted to US and maybe Canada?
I'm in UK and Trek replaced a failed frame for me under the lifetime warranty with no quibbles. The warranty only applies to the first owner (and I've now ebayed that frame since making my own replacement
Likes For guy153:
Old 06-23-22, 06:49 AM
pennpaul

So you bought an aluminum frame in 2004 and it cracked 20 years later and you're gonna file a warranty claim from Central America?
No to the last part.

The bike is already packed and I move back to the US this summer. When the bike (and the rest of my stuff) is delivered to our house, I'm going to try to file the claim (after I try to find my receipt). I'm also going to contact Performance Bike to see if they have my information saved. I bought it as a club member back then.

I don't see that restriction in their warranty. Anyway, won't hurt to ask.

https://www.pgwbike.com/docs/warranti...anty_U.S.A.pdf
Old 06-23-22, 07:33 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
re. warranties only valid in certain regions, this is not how I understand it. The company likely doesn't care where you are, just where you bought the bike. If you bought the bike from their authorized dealer network (as opposed to an online reseller or other 'non-authorized' source, I am sure Performance Bike was an authorized dealer) then you would be responsible for getting the broken frame shipped to someone of the company's choosing for inspection (likely an authorized dealer or their corporate offices), but they don't give two craps where you lived when the bike broke. That's all IF it's still under warranty and the most recent owners of the Fuji company and name are willing to honour warranty on products bought from previous owners, if that is the case here.
Old 06-23-22, 09:32 AM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
re. warranties only valid in certain regions, this is not how I understand it. The company likely doesn't care where you are, just where you bought the bike.
Agreed, and I can also see a company weaseling out of fulfilling a warranty if there's an exotic destination address
Old 06-23-22, 09:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Definitely a job for a Frame Builder... Spotting this crack very well may have saved your life. Get it FIXED for sure.

In the 70s when I was learning how to Road Bike with the old guys in Italy I remember them going over thier bikes from Stem to Stern looking for things like this. Now I am the Geezer going over his bike Stem to Stern looking for things like this...

Edit: The Franken side of my brain has been thinking of a DIY repair. I would consider cleaning out the crack with an acid wash, then using Alumiweld to fill. I would then as an extra measure fit an aluminum sleeve over the joint section, compress it to fit closely over the joint, and Alumiweld that in place too... Still... Its a job for a frame builder...

Last edited by zandoval; 06-23-22 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-23-22, 11:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

We previously discussed products like alumiweld in this thread. It's mostly cosmetic in this application.
Likes For unterhausen: