Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bell Road Cycling Helmets

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-22-22, 02:24 PM
DB77

Bikes: Ribble Endurance 725, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I just got back into road cycling after about 20 years of not doing it. I have an old Bell Influx helmet from the late 90's that I've been using and I want to get a new one. I was looking at Bell's current lineup of Helmets and saw the Z20 is highly rated but is close to 200 dollars. I also saw the Stratus and Drifter. All three are MIPs but the Drifter is the most affordable. Does anyone have anyone real world experience with these helps that can tell me what the practical differences are?

-Thanks
Old 06-24-22, 10:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
In general, most (if not all) name brand helmets have a similar amount of protection and are rated by your locale's testing agency. The higher priced ones tend to be lighter and/or more ventilated.
Old 06-25-22, 08:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I have a Z20 Mips, don't wear it much. Nothing wrong with it, though it is quite heavy relatively speaking given its MSRP. Comp Cyclist has them at ~$140 atm. About same weight as a comparison, a Lazer Sphere or Blade+ MIPS can be found for less money.
Old 06-25-22, 08:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
In general, most (if not all) name brand helmets have a similar amount of protection and are rated by your locale's testing agency. The higher priced ones tend to be lighter and/or more ventilated.
This. You can usually find a deal on last year's models and colors that weren't popular. I have a Bell Falcon MIPS.
Old 06-26-22, 03:29 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I have a Z20 MIPS. it looks great and is comfortable. As already mentioned above it is heavy, relatively speaking.
Old 06-26-22, 04:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Best advice is go for fit and comfort. You may want to consider the Virginia Tech ratings as well:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-26-22, 06:52 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
You want a helmet that is (1) light, (2) has high safety ratings, and (3) is inexpensive.
Pick two.
Ask yourself how much your brain is worth.
Old 06-26-22, 07:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
My Brain Surgery cost $96,000.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-26-22 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-29-22, 01:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Simply buy a helmet that you can actually try on that fits, is within your price range and you like the looks of. Don't be brand specfic.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-29-22, 03:14 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You want a helmet that is (1) light, (2) has high safety ratings, and (3) is inexpensive.
Pick two.
Ask yourself how much your brain is worth.
There's no evidence more expensive helmets provide more protection. I realize your dilemma allows for this with a cheap, heavy helmet that is protective. Besides lightweight, we could add aerodynamic, and effective ventilation. Some helmets can expensively achieve low coefficients of drag, with low weight, and good ventilation, all at great cost without providing good protection. Conversely, a helmet can provide good protection, but be heavy, hot, and not especially aero.

Specialized markets their S-Works Evade II helmet with this copy: "Helmets have long been plagued by an unspoken rule: Light weight, ventilation, aerodynamics—pick two, there's your helmet. As you can tell by now, though, we don't play by these rules—"

Notice they don't mention "protective." The Evade II flunked Virginia Tech's helmet testing. Despite its price in excess of $200, an $18 Schwinn helmet was rated substantially more protective.

I don't know how much credence to give VT's helmet testing. It's independent, it's objective, it's also unclear to what degree the results reflect protection from actual injuries. Nevertheless, it should be obvious that protection is not even the chief criterium for helmet design -- otherwise we'd wear full-face motorcycle helmets. Most people want something at least cooler and lighter weight, and cyclists that spend most of their time at 20mph or faster care about aerodynamics or they wouldn't wear those ridiculous lycra outfits.
Old 06-29-22, 03:43 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have a Bell Z20 Mips. To be frank, I don't understand why this helmet is $200. It's fine - I wouldn't describe it as heavy but it's also not feather weight. Bell lists it as 310g. Ventilation? Adequate... not great but not bad. Pretty much like every other bike helmet I've ever owned. I mainly bought the Z20 because it fit well and I liked the way it looked. The LBS had a cheaper Bell helmet that also fit the same, but I didn't like the color, so... yeah, I spent extra because I liked the way it looked.

I have a helmet from another manufacturer that is 276g and can assure you that the extra 34g on the Bell is not noticeable. Unless you're a true weight weenie this seems like a non-factor.

In terms of safety - All Bell helmets meet the same CPSC certification standard, and they all use the same or similar retention systems. Bell has a $65 MIPS helmet on their website that is just 15g heavier than the Z20 and I suspect the only measurable difference is the appearance and colors.
Old 06-29-22, 04:46 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin

I don't know how much credence to give VT's helmet testing. It's independent, it's objective, it's also unclear to what degree the results reflect protection from actual injuries. Nevertheless, it should be obvious that protection is not even the chief criterium for helmet design -- otherwise we'd wear full-face motorcycle helmets. Most people want something at least cooler and lighter weight, and cyclists that spend most of their time at 20mph or faster care about aerodynamics or they wouldn't wear those ridiculous lycra outfits.
Let me guess - 32 lb steel cruiser, flat pedals, sneakers, baggy shorts, tank top, no helmet. Am I close?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-29-22, 06:03 PM
greatbasin

No: chinos, oxford, and helmet, and my pedals have Christophe toe clips.. My touring bike is 32 pounds unloaded and I do wear sneakers.

Specialized conducted a wind tunnel test to compare lycra to baggies and a loose shirt -- for mountain bikers, of course, because the road guys are already sold. They were astonished to find the baggies cost 70 whole seconds over 20km. There's no argument that anyone racing doesn't want to forgo that savings in time. For non-competitive cycling? It might depend on how fast you want to go and whether the greatest portion of your effort is going into overcoming aero drag or hills. 70 seconds over what I typically ride in an hour? Also factor in that the overwhelming portion of effort in my riding is lifting weight up hills, and aero just doesn't mean much.

Last edited by greatbasin; 06-29-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-29-22, 07:27 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Two hundred dollars for a helmet seems a bit high. Naturally, manufacturers want you to believe that the higher priced ones are safer, but I don't trust them. A basic model from a reputable company should give you adequate protection.
Old 06-30-22, 08:06 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by greatbasin
There's no evidence more expensive helmets provide more protection. I realize your dilemma allows for this with a cheap, heavy helmet that is protective. Besides lightweight, we could add aerodynamic, and effective ventilation. Some helmets can expensively achieve low coefficients of drag, with low weight, and good ventilation, all at great cost without providing good protection. Conversely, a helmet can provide good protection, but be heavy, hot, and not especially aero.

Specialized markets their S-Works Evade II helmet with this copy: "Helmets have long been plagued by an unspoken rule: Light weight, ventilation, aerodynamics—pick two, there's your helmet. As you can tell by now, though, we don't play by these rules—"

Notice they don't mention "protective." The Evade II flunked Virginia Tech's helmet testing. Despite its price in excess of $200, an $18 Schwinn helmet was rated substantially more protective.

A lot of people have described the VT testing procedures as hokie, at best.
Old 06-30-22, 08:11 AM
seypat

I wear Bell helmets because they fit my head. Find a brand that fits your head well. Then go down their product line and find the best combo of features/price that works for you. Then go online and search for bargains.
Old 06-30-22, 09:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I'd go for something newer than a helmet from the 1990's. Maybe the foam and other components are in perfect working order. But you won't know, even if you have a crash and survive. You'll be like me with my 11 year old Giro Interceptor that I had on when I crashed. I'll always now be wondering if a newer helmet might have prevented the severe concussion I got from my wreck along with the five months of feeling in a fog and things around me being surreal.

Personally, I'd rather just have the best head protection I can afford and no wreck at all. Knowing what I know now Having experienced a bad concussion with fractured eye orbits and inline fractures of my skull, I'd much rather imagine I'm wasting my money on helmets and not have ever had that one bad crash out of the many that weren't anything.

Is your helmet CSPC certified? They didn't require bicycle helmets sold in the USA to have that certification until March of 1999... I think. Even if it does, it's still old. The CPSC recommends replacement every 5 to 10 years.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-30-22 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-30-22, 11:51 AM
greatbasin

This was the model of my first helmet. Bell. 1979. Pretty sure it was worth upgrading from several times over the years. On the other hand, I think there were years that some helmets were produced wherein protection took a back-seat to fashion, vents, aerodynamics, and lower weight. I can remember a period when cloth-covered foam was the trend.
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 06-30-22, 11:57 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I wear Bell helmets because they fit my head. Find a brand that fits your head well. Then go down their product line and find the best combo of features/price that works for you. Then go online and search for bargains.
But don't use a local shop's inventory to figure this out, then buy it on the internet.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-30-22, 02:05 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have the Bell Z20 helment and it vents well and fits well and does not block my forward vision at all. With previous helmets I had to trim away the foam in the front to be able to see far enough down the road. It is a MIPS helmet which is why I bought it in order to gain the additional protection. The strap adjustment works very well and I now longer have and chaffing issues.

I like when it is possible to go to a store and try out the helmets (as with REI) but these are often out of stock of the size I wanted or not had the ones I wanted to try.