Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Air Travel with a Brompton

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 12-04-21, 12:10 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I'm loving my new Brompton and want to start doing three or four day trips to explore cities (US for now) on the bike. I've researched packing the bike as check on luggage and I don't want to use the original box or the Dimpa bag with cardboard. I want to find a hard shell piece of luggage that will fit the Brompton, with or without the saddle. I've seen the Samsonite Epsilon 29" and the Samsonite Stryde Glider Long Journey on YouTube, but both have been discontinued and neither seems to be available used. I know that the B & W Case works, but it's a bit over airline size requirements and it's pretty heavy so anything packed besides the bike (a few tools, tubes, etc., can put it close to or over airline weight limits. It's also a little pricey.

Is there any other hard side luggage that you've found that fits the Brompton. I'll do the B&W as a last resort, but would prefer to have options.

Thank you.
Old 12-04-21, 01:21 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Oh, the bitter irony. The Brompton folds a bit larger than the Dahon Curl, but you should be able to use the Dahon Curl Foldable Suitcase.

Sorry, can't give a source link for fear of being banned for life.

BTW, #urbantouring
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-05-21, 08:20 AM
tcs
Palmer

Oh, BTW - the cats at Brompton Mafia

https://bromptonmafia.com

fly by taking their Bromptons into the passenger compartment of aircraft as carry-on luggage. A folded Brompton doesn't begin to meet the size requirements of carry-on (Brompton advertised: 23x22.2x10.6; American Airlines: 18x14x8; British Airways: 16x12x6; SWA: 24x16x10), but apparently a select few airlines (or maybe just Southwest?) will wink at those requirements and allow it.

Last edited by tcs; 12-06-21 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-05-21, 12:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
... apparently a select few airlines (or maybe just Southwest?) will wink at those requirements and allow it.
I have only flown Southwest a few times, but when I did I was surprised how few people were taking carry on luggage. The airline free checked luggage policy opens up the carryon space somewhat.

But with free checked bags, the last time I flew Southwest, my folding bike flew as a checked bag in my S&S Backpack case for free.
Old 12-05-21, 06:51 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Oh, BTW - the cats at Brompton Mafia

https://bromptonmafia.com

fly by taking their Bromptons into the passenger compartment of aircraft as carry-on luggage. A folded Brompton doesn't begin to meet the size requirements of carry-on, but apparently a select few airlines (or maybe just Southwest?) will wink at those requirements and allow it.
It does fit in the contraption. Just about. I use a Civita case and check it. It may be a tad oversize too but it is never been questioned.
Old 12-05-21, 07:18 PM
tcs
Palmer

I use a Civita case and check it.
Uh, Vincita?

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I can't find the Vincita B132B Brompton soft padded flight bag on vincita.cc

???

Some aftermarket shops show it available; some say 'out of stock'.

The more expensive Sightseer 3.0 soft padded flight bag does seem to be available.

Last edited by tcs; 12-05-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-05-21, 08:02 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Uh, Vincita?

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I can't find the Vincita B132B Brompton soft padded flight bag on vincita.cc

???

Some aftermarket shops show it available; some say 'out of stock'.

The more expensive Sightseer 3.0 soft padded flight bag does seem to be available.
The Sightseer 3.0 with the travel set. It says sold out on the sight.
Old 12-10-21, 11:40 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Moderators, you can close this thread.

I decided to go with the B & W Foldon Case. It appears to give the best protection and I'll just deal with the weight and size.

As for those that put their bike in the overhead storage; although it's rare, I've seen overhead storage doors pop open and I'm not going to put 27 lbs. of steel with pointy edges over my, or someone else's, head.

Thank you to those that replied.
Old 07-03-22, 08:10 AM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd just like to add for others who are curiuos - I use an SKB hardcase. Here is a picture at New Yorks LGA. I have an M2L (began life as an M6L). The entire setup weighed in exactly 50 lbs. This was Delta Airlines and their lower limit is 53 lbs. In addition, bikes have an upper linear length limit of 115 inches (the case came in at 63 inches). You just emphasize that this is a bike case - not a suitcase.

If you make a serious mistake and call it a suitcase,
you will get charged $200. As a bike case, it's only $30 if this is your only checked item.

Case is incredibly sturdy.

Next to LGA Delta excess luggage office.

Last edited by Silverexpress; 07-03-22 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For Silverexpress:
Old 07-03-22, 10:43 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverexpress
I'd just like to add for others who are curiuos - I use an SKB hardcase.
The SKB case does not seem to have any wheels, which makes it cumbersome to handle particularly at this day and age. I think that 2 wheels in the B&W are already a serious flaw. However the Foldon seems to have 4. The whole premise of hard over soft is misguided in my opinion as life operates on compromises. In real life my Brompton suffered more damage in the hard B&W case than in the soft Vincita. Sightseer and B132 are one and the same, just Sightseer comes with a garment bag. The model evolves over time and its model number can evolve too.
Old 07-03-22, 11:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by 2_i
The SKB case does not seem to have any wheels, which makes it cumbersome to handle particularly at this day and age. I think that 2 wheels in the B&W are already a serious flaw. However the Foldon seems to have 4...
...as does the Dahon Curl flight case (see the video in post no. 2). As a bonus, the four wheels on the Dahon Curl flight case are detachable (see the video in post no. 2).
Old 07-03-22, 12:09 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
...as does the Dahon Curl flight case (see the video in post no. 2). As a bonus, the four wheels on the Dahon Curl flight case are detachable (see the video in post no. 2).
The Vincita wheels are detachable too. Incidentally, a case without wheels may be equipped with detachable ones in many cases. However, such DIY can be costly, rising overall cost by up to 50%, especially if you do not get your parts right the first time.
Old 07-03-22, 04:20 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
The SKB case does not seem to have any wheels, which makes it cumbersome to handle particularly at this day and age. I think that 2 wheels in the B&W are already a serious flaw. However the Foldon seems to have 4. The whole premise of hard over soft is misguided in my opinion as life operates on compromises. In real life my Brompton suffered more damage in the hard B&W case than in the soft Vincita. Sightseer and B132 are one and the same, just Sightseer comes with a garment bag. The model evolves over time and its model number can evolve too.
The SKB has two well protected wheels, and a handle that retracts along the side.

Here's why I went with a hardcase,

All parts are also available (if in stock of course) for replacement.