Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recomended to use Dawn dish soap to clean chain. Is this "okay"?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recomended to use Dawn dish soap to clean chain. Is this "okay"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 08:48 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I’ve been using that Dawn Platinum Powerwash spray foam as a degreaser. Spray it on and let it sit and soak for a minute. Works pretty well.

https://dawn-dish.com/en-us/products...ash-dish-spray

Dan
Old 07-03-22, 09:45 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve been using that Dawn Platinum Powerwash spray foam as a degreaser. Spray it on and let it sit and soak for a minute. Works pretty well.

https://dawn-dish.com/en-us/products...ash-dish-spray

Dan
I use Muckoff's water soluble degreaser in the Park chain brush tank and then , as the video shows , lots of soapy water before the final water rinse - and then of course a chain re-lube as the final step .
Old 07-03-22, 11:17 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirzaali8078
Some people use dish soap as a bike cleaning solution. This is a cheap way to clean dirt from a bike chain. It is also effective at protecting the chain. Dishwashing detergent is formulated with abrasive materials, which is why it works well for cleaning dishes. However, the sand component of the soap is not good for bike chains. The dishwashing detergent may scratch the bike chain, so avoid using it on your bike.
You...new guy w/ 5 entire posts...are absolutely, completely, and massively confused. There are NO abrasive materials in dish soap. 'Scratching' a bicycle chain? Please.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-03-22, 11:34 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The dishwashing detergent may scratch the bike chain, so avoid using it on your bike.
This simple, cheap solution is effective at removing grime, but won’t harm the finish of your bike.
Derp?
Old 07-03-22, 12:40 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
A zombie thread about chain cleaning and lube. This may be good.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-03-22, 02:06 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
A zombie thread about chain cleaning and lube. This may be good.

Yeah. I will get popcorn out too !
Old 07-04-22, 07:02 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
It may be an old thread but still relevant unless you now have a chainless drive. I use citrus degreaser in a Park Tool chain cleaner and then follow that with a sudsy dawn dish soap rinse. I wash the bike at the same time. The soap will leave a thin film on the chain while you let the rest of the bike dry. Then lube the chain.
Old 07-04-22, 02:04 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You...new guy w/ 5 entire posts...are absolutely, completely, and massively confused. There are NO abrasive materials in dish soap. 'Scratching' a bicycle chain? Please.
Actually, the "new guy w 5 posts" was correct, just missed slightly in his terminology.

Liquid dish soaps - like you use in the sink - have no abrasive content.

However, powdered DISHWASHER detergents do use abrasives to assist in the cleaning process. This is why it is not recommended that fine crystal and dishware that have metallic decorations be washed in the machines as it will etch the glass and in many cases remove the metallic trim. Many manufacturers of fine cutlery also state that the abrasives can harm the fine edges on knives. Cheap glassware will gradually get a cloudy look from repeated washings with these products. (But - There are many bio and enzyme based dishwasher detergents that do not use abrasives.)

Regarding scratching the chain . . . . .?

I have heard of people using the dishwasher to clean baseball caps, but using the dishwasher as a degreaser tool - well, every man has to determine his own level of bravery.
Old 07-04-22, 03:00 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Actually, the "new guy w 5 posts" was correct, just missed slightly in his terminology.

Liquid dish soaps - like you use in the sink - have no abrasive content.

However, powdered DISHWASHER detergents do use abrasives to assist in the cleaning process. This is why it is not recommended that fine crystal and dishware that have metallic decorations be washed in the machines as it will etch the glass and in many cases remove the metallic trim. Many manufacturers of fine cutlery also state that the abrasives can harm the fine edges on knives. Cheap glassware will gradually get a cloudy look from repeated washings with these products. (But - There are many bio and enzyme based dishwasher detergents that do not use abrasives.)

Regarding scratching the chain . . . . .?

I have heard of people using the dishwasher to clean baseball caps, but using the dishwasher as a degreaser tool - well, every man has to determine his own level of bravery.
While you're correct does your post have anything at all to do w/ this thread? Could you not help yourself and just had to post something?
ETA: The OP specifically asked about 'Dawn' dish soap...they only make liquid soaps. And cleaning brake rotors in the dishwasher works quite well.

Last edited by cxwrench; 07-04-22 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 03:45 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I have a spray bottle with dawn and water in it. I use it to clean everything.
Old 07-05-22, 04:19 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
While you're correct does your post have anything at all to do w/ this thread? Could you not help yourself and just had to post something?
ETA: The OP specifically asked about 'Dawn' dish soap...they only make liquid soaps. And cleaning brake rotors in the dishwasher works quite well.
cx: Long ago my Sunday School teacher taught me that "a soft answer turns away wrath."

And my dad, a very wise man, once also told me, "Son, never get in a p***ing match with a skunk."

Y'all have a nice day!
Old 07-06-22, 12:56 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Just take it to the car wash. Point the nozzle at the back of the freewheel and it spins on its own - works like a charm. In the summer in Tucson, it'll be dry before you're home.