Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-23-22, 06:36 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Changing jobs. Last day July 2, first day next job July 11. Financial world so M-F, out at 5, will free up time for family and cycling and other stuff. Local, in town, for a firm that the Missus has interacted with for 8+ years, so she has an idea of what it's like to work with them.
Congrats. That sounds like a much better situation for you.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-23-22, 07:05 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Congrats. That sounds like a much better situation for you.
Thanks. I was telling someone that I won't say anything until it's definite - they were calling me for a week asking for a start date, and I hadn't yet passed drug or background checks. I mean, okay, I appreciate their confidence in me. But I compared it to bike racing. "I'm not going to post up until I cross the line first". lol. And pointed out that my last win was by a couple seconds but I was so scared of losing it that I threw my bike at the line anyway, just in case. So it's time to post up.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 06-23-22, 09:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Random tech question, with the factory chain catcher thing installed would a SRAM inner ring work fine not being a 1x dedicated ring? I know folks shouldn't do that without a cage/keeper.

Just looking at a few grades on the dirt road by the mountain cabin, the 36/33 might be a bit rough. But a 30t inner ring would get me to easier than 1:1. At low cost. With no interest bombing anything fast needing the higher speed gearing.

Worth a shot?
I'm not clear on what bike/crankset you are riding but 2 friends had trouble dropping the chain on 1x set-ups and a shop recommended Wolf Tooth Drop Stop rings and neither one of them has dropped the chain since.

I have an XT derailleur on my mtb with a 1x and the derailleur has a clutch you can engage/disengage. It tightens up things for a rough descent but takes away from the crispness of the shifting so I rarely use it and that bike never drops the chain, anyway. It does quiet things down but you have to get off the bike to reach the lever.
Old 06-23-22, 10:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm not clear on what bike/crankset you are riding but 2 friends had trouble dropping the chain on 1x set-ups and a shop recommended Wolf Tooth Drop Stop rings and neither one of them has dropped the chain since.

I have an XT derailleur on my mtb with a 1x and the derailleur has a clutch you can engage/disengage. It tightens up things for a rough descent but takes away from the crispness of the shifting so I rarely use it and that bike never drops the chain, anyway. It does quiet things down but you have to get off the bike to reach the lever.
Zero current issues, existing factory 1x never drops. Bike has an included chain catcher from factory and 1x ring from factory. But it is a 36t. 36/33 is difficult on 20% gravel gradients. Locally, it's never an issue.

I was asking as my vacation the house is on a gravel mountain road, that has some 20% sections.
Old 06-23-22, 10:39 AM
big john

Zero current issues, existing factory 1x never drops. Bike has an included chain catcher from factory and 1x ring from factory. But it is a 36t. 36/33 is difficult on 20% gravel gradients. Locally, it's never an issue.

I was asking as my vacation the house is on a gravel mountain road, that has some 20% sections.
Can you put the 30 tooth ring on that crank? These days there are lots of different bolt circles that we didn't have years ago, and even direct mount rings.
I expect you will shorten the chain a bit if you go to 30.
Old 06-23-22, 11:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Can you put the 30 tooth ring on that crank? These days there are lots of different bolt circles that we didn't have years ago, and even direct mount rings.
I expect you will shorten the chain a bit if you go to 30.
I have uncut chains at the house. It will fit a 30 inner as when setup 2x with a FD that bike/crankset comes with a 42/30 or something like that. So know a 30 will go on the inner.

Meh, I could try it. If it doesn't work then buy the FD and the outer ring also. Then go back 1x for cross racing.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-23-22, 11:14 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
If you've got a built in drop guard on the inside and the crankset is a 2x, why not just buy a bash guard for the outer ring that's big enough that it'll prevent the chain from falling off to the outside?
Old 06-24-22, 11:10 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

Walk the bike?

Call it a cross run up.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 06-29-22, 08:05 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
I'm always envious of people that can ride and work at the same time. This happens to me on rare occasion, today is one of those days. 90 minutes z1/2 on the trainer, fairly mindless.

Dealing w COVID Close Contact communications (fun) for my reports/team, and editing performance review documents for said individuals. I should get to some actual science (on site) this afternoon in the lab. All about that balance.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-30-22, 01:56 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Talent! I've attended zoom talks while riding but never worked on anything that requires active attention.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-02-22, 10:38 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Changing jobs. Last day July 2, first day next job July 11. Financial world so M-F, out at 5, will free up time for family and cycling and other stuff. Local, in town, for a firm that the Missus has interacted with for 8+ years, so she has an idea of what it's like to work with them.
Fantastic news!
Old 07-03-22, 08:42 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
New baby is here. In the NICU because she keeps not breathing and turning blue, but they don't seem super concerned and she's improving and doing it less frequently. She's hanging out with us at least, so it's not like pure NICU, just needs to be hooked up.
Old 07-08-22, 07:25 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Flatballer
New baby is here. In the NICU because she keeps not breathing and turning blue, but they don't seem super concerned and she's improving and doing it less frequently. She's hanging out with us at least, so it's not like pure NICU, just needs to be hooked up.
Congratulations!

Unlike adults that usually show lots of signs as they get worse, kids look great till they don't. Point being, peds tends to be pretty conservative and cautious with watching.

But again, congrats! I hope it's nothing but a little delay.
🤞🏾You can bring the nugget home shortly🤞🏾
Old 07-08-22, 11:26 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Congratulations!

Unlike adults that usually show lots of signs as they get worse, kids look great till they don't. Point being, peds tends to be pretty conservative and cautious with watching.

But again, congrats! I hope it's nothing but a little delay.
🤞🏾You can bring the nugget home shortly🤞🏾
Thanks. She actually finally made it home today. MRI and EKG ultra were both perfect, so hopefully she just grows out of it and keeps breathing.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-10-22, 01:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Thanks. She actually finally made it home today. MRI and EKG ultra were both perfect, so hopefully she just grows out of it and keeps breathing.
Nice, and congrats!
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 07-10-22, 01:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Fantastic news!
Ironically my SoCal training camp host works for the same company. He does a "deep dive" when he works for someone, learns a lot about the company. We haven't talked in a while but we spent a couple hours on the phone the other night, talking about the company. He's making me look forward to this a lot. Tomorrow is the first day.
Old 07-11-22, 05:23 PM
carpediemracing 

First day. Brain is mush. Hard to say how it will go but signs are positive. Edward Jones, an investment company. I'll be the branch office administrator for one of the branches (each branch is basically two people, the financial advisor and the BOA).
Old 07-14-22, 05:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Really cool so far. Great financial advisor ("FA"). There's a branch office administrator (BOA) class group, and it's been good, we help each other out with various things pertaining to lessons or tasks. Like today I ordered business cards for me, and coincidentally right after that a few people asked how to order business cards because they page they landed on didn't have BOA cards (or something). I was able to help them out. So although we're separated because we're in two to four person branches, we're working together virtually.

Spending a lot of time after work with the Missus and Junior. I feel like more of a family unit, preparing dinner together, eating together, and cleaning up together. And then Junior has his things he has to do, etc. But we're hanging out. It's like one of my days off but now it's every night.
Old 07-15-22, 11:11 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Really cool so far. Great financial advisor ("FA"). There's a branch office administrator (BOA) class group, and it's been good, we help each other out with various things pertaining to lessons or tasks. Like today I ordered business cards for me, and coincidentally right after that a few people asked how to order business cards because they page they landed on didn't have BOA cards (or something). I was able to help them out. So although we're separated because we're in two to four person branches, we're working together virtually.

Spending a lot of time after work with the Missus and Junior. I feel like more of a family unit, preparing dinner together, eating together, and cleaning up together. And then Junior has his things he has to do, etc. But we're hanging out. It's like one of my days off but now it's every night.
Living the family man dream!
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 07-15-22, 07:20 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Uhhhh anyone have a 5x-42-30 triple crank and BB for cheap? Don't care if it's square taper or octalink or whatever.
Trying to use it on a commuter and replacing the outer ring with a bash guard.
Old 07-19-22, 12:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I just unloaded on some cross bike parts. Front derailleur, rings, new wider range cassette, and an alloy cross wheelset.

I'm going to put the cross race tires on that set and either keep the gravel 35's on the other set or put road tires on the other set. I'll probably put road tires on it for training.

I just enjoy riding it more as an electronic bike than the road bike. Plus disc brakes changed things, I appreciate those.

End of day will go 1x for racing cross, obviously. But the 2x go on for training when not around races.
Old 07-20-22, 08:59 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Past few years the Tour has been depressing for us Americans. Outside Sepp Kuss, there really hasn't been much to be excited about. This year we're not lighting up the stage, but Americans are always in the break or doing something. Its a nice change to feel relevant again even though it doesn't look like it will look good on the results (hopefully that changes).
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-20-22, 12:24 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Past few years the Tour has been depressing for us Americans. Outside Sepp Kuss, there really hasn't been much to be excited about. This year we're not lighting up the stage, but Americans are always in the break or doing something. Its a nice change to feel relevant again even though it doesn't look like it will look good on the results (hopefully that changes).
I'm not sure what, but for a true step change I guess it's a different development pipeline needed. Total random guess that the US pipeline is both smaller and just different.

I feel like a blind spot for US development is that as the eastern half and far western Cali part of the US gets more and more developed and pushes folks further and further out to try to ride..............either it will be upcoming Zwift generations or we may stand to lose out.

US car culture already sucks, and as suburbs expand from areas that are more cyclist "rich" it'll get worse.

I live in Raleigh and have ridden locally for about 5 or 6 years now. I cannot imagine the depressing "suck" riders feel who have ridden here for 20 years.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-20-22, 02:27 PM
big john

US car culture already sucks, and as suburbs expand from areas that are more cyclist "rich" it'll get worse.

I live in Raleigh and have ridden locally for about 5 or 6 years now. I cannot imagine the depressing "suck" riders feel who have ridden here for 20 years.
I've been riding in the L.A. area for nearly 40 years, but mostly in the suburbs and outlying areas. This is car central but it seems to me drivers are a lot more accommodating to us than they were, say, 25 years ago. Sure, there are still dufuses and drunks and distracted drivers, but drivers in general seem kinder, even with large groups of riders who don't mind pissing off drivers.
It's almost as if they understand we are human beings.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-20-22, 03:53 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I've been riding in the L.A. area for nearly 40 years, but mostly in the suburbs and outlying areas. This is car central but it seems to me drivers are a lot more accommodating to us than they were, say, 25 years ago. Sure, there are still dufuses and drunks and distracted drivers, but drivers in general seem kinder, even with large groups of riders who don't mind pissing off drivers.
It's almost as if they understand we are human beings.
A very weird phenomenon I've seemed to start to believe is the faster the rider the more leeway they give you. If you're tooling along a busy area at 10 to 15mph on the flat and downhill, you don't get as much pity as if you're going 20+ mph. It's almost like the drivers equate your speed to your sense of urgency or something.

When going uphill I'll look for a driveway if cars are behind and wave folks for a few seconds then proceed. Downhill I don't do the whole freewheel at 25mph thing. I put power into the pedals until I hit like 110rpm in the 53/11 on the roadie or the 56/11 on the TT..........which isn't very often. Haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.