Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

first drop bar tape attempt... how long to live with my ineptitude?!?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-03-22, 08:44 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts

after viewing a half dozen videos with conflicting "best methods" for doing this, i decided on the top down approach (not too worried about pressure on the bar tops unraveling anything, i'm on the hoods 95% of the time and the drops the rest) because i didn't like the electrical/finishing tape the bike came with. tape was ripping on one side from a minor spill.

ended up with some lumps... some asymmetry (shouldn't have tried to make the second one "better"), one or two little leading edges that aren't sitting flat, and i'm not 100% sure the last bit of tape is going to stay tucked in at the plugs.

live with it until it wears out... or eat the $40 for a second try!?!?

Last edited by mschwett; 07-03-22 at 08:51 PM.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-03-22, 08:54 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I doubt anyone will notice. Give yourself a break, and ride the bike until you feel like having a re-do.
I recently did my second wrap job on a set of "trekking" bars, and while I think I did an all-right job, I somehow managed to wrap the second side so the "Easton" name doesn't appear on the tape.
I'll live with this...

Both sides started and wrapped the same way, but the brand imprint is covered on the right side. :-(
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-03-22, 08:56 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
after viewing a half dozen videos with conflicting "best methods" for doing this, i decided on the top down approach (not too worried about pressure on the bar tops unraveling anything, i'm on the hoods 95% of the time and the drops the rest) because i didn't like the electrical/finishing tape the bike came with. tape was ripping on one side from a minor spill.

ended up with some lumps... some asymmetry (shouldn't have tried to make the second one "better"), one or two little leading edges that aren't sitting flat, and i'm not 100% sure the last bit of tape is going to stay tucked in at the plugs.

live with it until it wears out... or eat the $40 for a second try!?!?

why on earth are you spending $40 on bar tape? Tape is a wear item - buy a $10 roll, replace it every few months, you’ll be an expert after a few rolls
Old 07-03-22, 09:14 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by sweeks
I doubt anyone will notice. Give yourself a break, and ride the bike until you feel like having a re-do.
I recently did my second wrap job on a set of "trekking" bars, and while I think I did an all-right job, I somehow managed to wrap the second side so the "Easton" name doesn't appear on the tape.
I'll live with this...

Both sides started and wrapped the same way, but the brand imprint is covered on the right side. :-(
looks clean other than that! i guess the logo side has to be the “over” edge!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-03-22, 09:16 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Litespud
why on earth are you spending $40 on bar tape? Tape is a wear item - buy a $10 roll, replace it every few months, you’ll be an expert after a few rolls
i liked the way it looks, they had it at the shop? the same tape lasted 5000+ miles on my last bike, so it’s not really a high $/mile kind of thing even at $40. does the $10 kind only last a few months?
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-03-22, 09:17 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

looks clean other than that! i guess the logo side has to be the “over” edge!
At least I'll be able to tell which side is which!
Old 07-03-22, 09:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Looks way better than my first couple attempts at wrapping bars. I'd say you could have applied a little more tension at the bends, but you'll get another chance before too long.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-03-22, 09:22 PM
sweeks

...does the $10 kind only last a few months?
Seems unlikely. The original tape on my bike was 20 years old and still looking good. I only changed the tape because I went from drop bars to trekking bars.
Old 07-03-22, 09:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
At least I'll be able to tell which side is which!
That would drive me nuts. If it isn't something that would get damaged by taking it off, take it off, and switch the two ends so that the label is exposed, and re-wrap.

Always remember this: there should be a hyphen in anal-retentive.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-03-22, 09:49 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Wrapping Bars

Wrapping bars is one of my least favorite chores. Your wrap is OK but looks a little loose on the drops. When you do rewrap the bar, use the old tape and practice on another bar if you have one before you do the rewrap. I just
wrapped bars on a vintage bike, and the left side looked great, but the right side a little rough at the finish. But I
just don’t wrap enough bars to get good at it. Bill
Likes For BillRS22:
Old 07-03-22, 09:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Personally I think the direction you went is the worst when it comes to the edges rolling which will result in it looking worn faster. Since I'm cheap, I'd leave it and use it as an experiment to see how long it holds up wrapped like this. If it lasts the season, replace in the spring. Other then the direction you wrapped, it isn't a bad job, I've seen plenty of techs do worse with more experience, and even the really good ones don't get it perfect, just close enough people don't usually notice.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-03-22, 10:09 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That would drive me nuts.
Luckily, I don't actually look at my bars to tell right from left!
I'd say I'm more OCD than A-R.
I don't think I'll take the tape off, since there's adhesive involved. Next time I'll know better... 20 years from now!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-03-22, 10:31 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
That Supacaz tape is probably not the best choice. It’s not stretchy enough.
Next time go with a silicone bar tape. It’s stretchy and it doesn’t have any adhesive backing so you can re-wrap it as many times as you want.
Old 07-03-22, 10:36 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Personally I think the direction you went is the worst when it comes to the edges rolling which will result in it looking worn faster. Since I'm cheap, I'd leave it and use it as an experiment to see how long it holds up wrapped like this. If it lasts the season, replace in the spring. Other then the direction you wrapped, it isn't a bad job, I've seen plenty of techs do worse with more experience, and even the really good ones don't get it perfect, just close enough people don't usually notice.
Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see if it holds up. Seems like mixed opinions out there on the matter, I can see why the other way would be better for edge security but I really disliked the ring of electrical tape at the top!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-03-22, 10:40 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That Supacaz tape is probably not the best choice. It’s not stretchy enough.
Next time go with a silicone bar tape. It’s stretchy and it doesn’t have any adhesive backing so you can re-wrap it as many times as you want.
yeah. Something which conforms a little more would be better!
Old 07-03-22, 10:48 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Practice makes perfect. Use a hair dryer on low heat to soften up the adhesive, remove tape and try again. Also helps to make the tape more pliable when wrapping.
Old 07-03-22, 11:18 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Wrapping bars is absolutely one of my most favorite aspects of bike maintenance! I think yours looks pretty good, tbh. But when you're ready to tackle it again, I would highly recommend starting from the ends of the bars and using something awesome like $30 Zipp Service Course tape. It's super stretchy, has a great feel, stays grippy when wet, and lasts a long time. The "figure 8" at the brake hoods and the diagonal cut at the end are the critical moves. Electrical tape is more forgiving than the finishing tape provided, but try to only do one or two wraps of it.

Until you become adept, it might take you 45 minutes to do the whole bar, so crack open a cold one, put some good tunes on the speakers, and enjoy the process!

Last edited by Rolla; 07-03-22 at 11:22 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-04-22, 12:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
live with it until it wears out... or eat the $40 for a second try!?!
You kind of answered your own question as far as I'm concerned...
i'm not 100% sure the last bit of tape is going to stay tucked in at the plugs.
Let that decide. As soon as it comes untucked or otherwise out of place, redo it. FWIW I think it looks fine and would probably not question that tape job if I saw it in a pack.
Old 07-04-22, 04:15 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I've seen worse than what is in the OP on bikes for sale that were touting the wrap as a positive.

If it was my bike, it may bother me or it may not. But finishing tape bothers me too.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-04-22, 05:08 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
For next time, if you want to try starting at the bottom (which I’d recommend), ESI makes some really nice silicone finishing tape that looks good and is easy to use. It comes it’s their bar wrap but is also sold by the roll.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 07-04-22, 05:57 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
If it bothers you, unwind that tape and reuse it. No biggie. It might not stretch as much in the second wrapping but it's important to pull it tight. Tape wound from the top down probably won't last too long.
Likes For veloz:
Old 07-04-22, 06:42 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
After watching a half dozen videos and you still wrapped it backwards. As soon as the edges start curling back..it'll look rough. I'd strip it off and re-wrap it..you actually can use the same tape.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-04-22, 07:51 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by fishboat
After watching a half dozen videos and you still wrapped it backwards. As soon as the edges start curling back..it'll look rough. I'd strip it off and re-wrap it..you actually can use the same tape.
half the videos illustrated doing it top down, and the other half illustrated bottom up.

i’ll see how it lasts.
Old 07-04-22, 09:03 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
As others have said, it looks good but will hold up better if you wrap bottom-to-top. Yes, black electrical tape looks crappy, but you can find colour-matched electrical tape at the dollar store, and the electrical tape AND the bar tape can be trimmed to make a clean looking blunt end.

Another option is to tie off at the top with twine. There is a trick to finishing a twine wrap so the loose end is hidden and this looks very stylie...https://www.rivbike.com/pages/handle...d-twine-finish
Old 07-04-22, 10:13 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Looks fine to me but I agree with other folks. I always start from the bottom. Ride until it needs replacing. And $40 isn’t too much except for the cheapskates among us (and they are legion on this site).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.