Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 03:27 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
I wander how did you manage to remove them unless you cut them off. I didn’t find an easy way to do it.
The shape of the slot in the plastic grip allow the straps to come out without cutting them.

For the easy wheels, as said, my Birdy had no factory mounted rack.

I first installed the H&H titanium rack to add less weight.

When this rack failed, I bought a R&M rack that comes without the R&M easy wheels. Those easy wheels (which are I think aggressive inline skate wheels)+bolt+spacer are sold separately as a kit that I didn't bought because I wanted to keep using rear pannier.
Old 07-04-22, 03:29 PM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
I wander if anyone carries air pump inside the seatpost? Is seatpost bung strong enough to keep the pump from falling out? I’m not talking about SKS Spaero Sport Pump for Birdy but any pump which can fit.

Last edited by CEBEP; 07-04-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 06:24 PM
jackyharuhiko

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I wander if anyone carries air pump inside the seatpost? Is seatpost bung strong enough to keep the pump from falling out? I’m not talking about SKS Spaero Sport Pump for Birdy but any pump which can fit.
I remember some Dahon bikes have these seat post pumps but I’ve never seen one for Birdy. Anyway it’s unnecessary weight that you’re not going to use often.
Old 07-04-22, 11:12 PM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by jackyharuhiko
I remember some Dahon bikes have these seat post pumps but I’ve never seen one for Birdy. Anyway it’s unnecessary weight that you’re not going to use often.
I didn’t mean seatpost pump, which is probably what you’ve meant. I meant to put a pump inside the seatpost, which for me is the most rational place to put it if I need to carry one with me.
Old 07-05-22, 02:56 AM
Jipe

I have my pump inside of the stem of both Birdy, its a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive medium.
Old 07-05-22, 03:51 AM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by Jipe
I have my pump inside of the stem of both Birdy, its a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive medium.
Did you put any rubber rings on the pump to avoid rattling? I wander of the plastic bung is strong enough to keep the pump from falling out.
Old 07-05-22, 05:51 AM
CEBEP

Could someone advise how many teeth is second and third smallest sprocket on stock Sunrace 10s 9-32 cassette? Smallest is 9t, I’m wandering how many teeth are next two. Or is there a way I can understand it from looking at the cassette?
Old 07-05-22, 06:49 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Could someone advise how many teeth is second and third smallest sprocket on stock Sunrace 10s 9-32 cassette? Smallest is 9t, I’m wandering how many teeth are next two. Or is there a way I can understand it from looking at the cassette?
Often one of the teeth has the number of teeth on that cog pressed into it. If not, just pick a tooth with any kind of feature you recognise, and count from there. It's likely 9-10-11. Any bigger jumps would be huge. The next one may be 13.
Old 07-05-22, 02:57 PM
Jipe

The spacing of the cogs of the Sunrace cassettes are very good:
- Sunrace Cassette CSSSO 10s 9-32t: 9-10-11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32.
- Sunrace Cassette CSSXO 11s 9-36t: 9-10-11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36

The 3T bailout cassette is also nice: 3T bailout 11s 9-32t: 9-10-11-12-13-15-17-19-22-26-32

The SRAM 10-36 with a slightly bigger chainring is very good too: 12s 10-36t: 10-11-12-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

I changed the chainring to 50t because I found the gear inches slightly too long with the Big Apple 50-355 that have a bigger overall diameter than the 40x355 Marathon Racer. I also sometime had the chain off the chainring with the original chainring which has no narrow-wide teeth Ichain was between the chainring and plastic protection). It completely disappeared with the Garbaruk 50t narrow-wide I have now.

Last edited by Jipe; 07-05-22 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 08:45 AM
fatbikeGM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Since birdy-freunde is gone this seems to be the best place for birdy-related info and I´d like to contribute.
After much deliberation I bought a R&M Birdy Rohloff with 10 degree "comfort stem" a few months ago. It has since been my "daily driver" during my work week and I want to tell you about it.

A few things are modded:
- Hard Elastomers front & rear
- Saddle, bell, smartphone mount
- 80mm Wheels from old inline skates
- 8l cooling bag on the rear rack, containing a very small folded backpack and either rain clothes, cold drinks and a cooling pack or hot food, depending on the occasion (permanently attached)
- R&M "Carry Bag" on the top tube, containing a multi tool, small lock and puncture sealing kit (permanently attached)
- Mini pump with integrated pressure gauge under the rear rack (permanently attached)
- H&H Brompton bag adapter for Birdy
- Brompton luggage block
- Canoo handle to pull the bike while folded (attached to H&H adapter)
- 23l Brompton "Metro Messenger Bag L"

The most important reason for these mods was usability. All I need for 5 days has to fit on the bike, I travel by train a lot and do not like to carry a backpack while on the bike.

Everything but the Brompton bag can stay on the bike while folded.
The bike is still small enough to fit inside the Carry Bag cover. This is important for taking the bike inside "unfriendly" places (which has happened to me 3 times so far).

This is the canoo pulling handle, bought for ~10 € on Amazon. It allows to comfortably pull or push the bike while folded, does not rattle and never needs explicit handling. It simply stays out of the way until needed.
When carrying the folded bike up or down stairs it doubles as a carrying handle (the other hand gripping the frame).
Of all mods it is my favourite.

Pulling or pushing the bike while gripping the canoo handle is nearly effortless. The larger (compared to 50mm R&M standard) skate wheels make the cooling bag not touch the ground.

There is ample space between bag and stem. I would not expect this to work with the 21 degree "sport stem", however.

I am _very_ satisfied with the bike in this form!
The combination of driving characteristics even when fully loaded, ability to take a _lot_ of luggage (~10kg in the Brompton bag), quick foldability and ease of handling when folded make me quite happy
While I do not find my Birdy to be very beautiful per se it epitomises "form follows function" imho.

Last edited by fatbikeGM; 07-09-22 at 01:14 AM.
Likes For fatbikeGM:
Old 07-06-22, 08:54 AM
jackyharuhiko

The Birdy it’s really a gorgeous bike, folded or unfolded. While I’m waiting for your photos, let me post the latest pics of mine

Likes For jackyharuhiko:
Old 07-06-22, 08:59 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah, your Birdy _is_ beautiful
Good choice of saddle. I have the Respiro on 2 of my other bikes.
About the Easy Wheels: Does the bike not tend to fall over easily when using them? Even when using the wider spaced ones on my bike it happens every so often that I need to stop and stabilise.
Likes For fatbikeGM:
Old 07-06-22, 09:19 AM
CEBEP

fatbikeGM welcome to community

Looking forward to your post update with photos when you’ll reach 10 posts.

I’m specifically interested to see how you secured the pump.
Old 07-06-22, 09:27 AM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by jackyharuhiko
The Birdy it’s really a gorgeous bike, folded or unfolded. While I’m waiting for your photos, let me post the latest pics of mine

Saddle angle seems to be a little too down. Aren’t you sliding off of it?
Old 07-06-22, 09:28 AM
CEBEP

Removed low rider from front fork. Do I need to close down this hole? To prevent water from getting in and what not?

Old 07-06-22, 09:38 AM
jackyharuhiko

Saddle angle seems to be a little too down. Aren’t you sliding off of it?
Good finding, I adjusted it to this angle so that some certain body parts will not feel uncomfortable. 😂
Old 07-06-22, 10:40 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Removed low rider from front fork. Do I need to close down this hole? To prevent water from getting in and what not?
I‘m interested in that as well.
I left it open without thinking about it.
How is it on Birdys delivered without a lowrider?
Old 07-06-22, 10:44 AM
fatbikeGM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
fatbikeGM welcome to community

Looking forward to your post update with photos when you’ll reach 10 posts.

I’m specifically interested to see how you secured the pump.
Thank you!
This thread, or to be more precise, the mention of the H&H adapter made me reconsider a Birdy. So, in a way, this is my Birdy-home ;-)

The pump is a Crank Brothers Stirling mini pump that i quite like and that comes with a holder. I secured that holder to the rack with zip ties. As soon as i‘m allowed i‘ll post a picture.
Likes For fatbikeGM:
Old 07-06-22, 11:52 AM
CEBEP

Went for a ride today and noticed a noise in the front when I was increasing the speed. I didn’t bring the bike to my mechanic yet so I don’t know what can it be, brakes that need adjustment or hub?

Last edited by CEBEP; 07-06-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 12:01 PM
glye

There is probably a hole at the other end too, but I haven't checked. Dirt can get in and slowly accumulate too. For peace of mind and better looks you could use a short bolt and perhaps a small rubber o-ring to keep it sealed and keep the bolt from shaking loose.
Old 07-06-22, 12:03 PM
glye

Went for a ride today and noticed a noise in the front. I didn’t bring the bike to my mechanic yet so I don’t know what can it be, brakes that need adjustment or hub?
I sometimes get a little rubbing noise from the front disk brake in hard turns, the fork flexes enough to cause rubbing. This is harmless. Don't know if it's the same noise you have...
Old 07-06-22, 12:09 PM
CEBEP

Originally Posted by fatbikeGM
Thank you!
This thread, or to be more precise, the mention of the H&H adapter made me reconsider a Birdy. So, in a way, this is my Birdy-home ;-)

The pump is a Crank Brothers Stirling mini pump that i quite like and that comes with a holder. I secured that holder to the rack with zip ties. As soon as i‘m allowed i‘ll post a picture.
I checked several adaptors and am thinking on buying Trigo which looks better to my eye. Since I have comfort stem lack of angle shouldn’t be a problem.
Old 07-06-22, 12:23 PM
CEBEP

I’m about 100kgs and my R&M Birdy Touring came with red rear elastomer which seems to be a little too soft. Trying to order hard one but they don’t seem to be available all that wide. Found this one but its grey and it reads hard. As far as I know hard ones are green. Is there a difference for elastomers for Birdy 1, 2 or 3 or they fit all models?
Old 07-06-22, 01:14 PM
glye

I’m about 100kgs and my R&M Birdy Touring came with red rear elastomer which seems to be a little too soft. Trying to order hard one but they don’t seem to be available all that wide. Found this one but its grey and it reads hard. As far as I know hard ones are green. Is there a difference for elastomers for Birdy 1, 2 or 3 or they fit all models?
I don't remember, but I think I got my green elastomer from here: https://www.mobicbikes.com/collectio...mer-green-hard
It says it fits all Birdy models.
Old 07-06-22, 02:03 PM
CEBEP

They don’t ship intentional. Ordered from Migjty Velo. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.