Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see some C&V guitars!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see some C&V guitars!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 01:43 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

Not vintage, but definitely classic
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 02-17-22, 11:28 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts

Al Di Meola
Old 02-18-22, 02:45 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Maybe jumping the gun a bit, but here's a late 90's MIK Hamer Sunburst I just picked. I've wanted one of these since 1980. The USA made ones are $$$, but the Korean ones are still a bargain. Plays great and is a good alternative to a Les Paul.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 02-18-22, 05:39 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Maybe jumping the gun a bit, but here's a late 90's MIK Hamer Sunburst I just picked. I've wanted one of these since 1980. The USA made ones are $$$, but the Korean ones are still a bargain. Plays great and is a good alternative to a Les Paul.
Sort of reminds me of the Epiphone/Gibson Spirit. My brother in law found one at Goodwill- he called to ask me if it was worth him spending $75 on- I doubted it- he wanted it, and that thing was BEAUTIFUL and it played and sounded great. One of the last Kalamazoo made "Epiphones," and it was cool.

Like this one:

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-19-22, 07:59 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by thinktubes
…..here's a late 90's MIK Hamer Sunburst I just picked. I've wanted one of these since 1980.
Hmm….time warp?

Last edited by bamboobike4; 02-19-22 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-19-22, 08:03 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

I once re-fretted a cherry sunburst Les Paul. Then he wanted quarter-pounders.
Somehow, it still played well. Never offered to work on a guitar again.
Stuck to rehabs of Marshall heads and cabinets. Prior hobby, almost a career.

Being completely tone deaf and finding no logic in chord structure does not work in GuitarWorld. There are plenty of craftsmen who can also play and hear and know what they are hearing. I can read music and play, but I can’t tune without a tuner. The “proper key” means little to my hearing. Try working with a guitarist when you don’t understand how any of that works.

It’s akin to being color blind in the fashion industry.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 02-19-22 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-20-22, 12:05 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
Here's my latest acquisition - a 1993 Fender Telecoustic. Does this qualify as C&V? Matbe not vintage, but certainly classic - and quirky! Hollow sound box with fibreglass back & sides and spruce top. Piezo pickup buried in the bridge with Fender-branded Fishman EQ & Volume controls. Output jack is integrated in the centre of the rear strap button - really neat! 'Electric type' telecaster neck and machine heads make for a great feel and easy fretting though with an all-up weight of around 3-4lbs, it's certainly neck-heavy. The body is a lot thinner than my Fender dreadnought acoustic which is better for me at present while my rotor cuff injury recovers. When practising unplugged, it's a lot quieter than the acoustic. Plug into the Marshall and turn the knob to 11 and it's a whole different story! Loving it so far. it's just so easy to pick this up any timne and play a bit :-)
I used to be friends with guys whose band were Fernandes endorsees. The two guitarists in the band both had two electro/acoustics like that (but more Strat shaped)- but in "1990 Red" with a pointy headstock. One guy sold his, the other kept his, but used it very sparingly.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-27-22, 06:30 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I can’t remember if I’ve posted here about this guitar before, it’s the body and electronics from a mid 60’s Kay Vanguard, neck from a mid 90’s Korean strat copy, and a bridge from who knows where. I bought the body from a friend, had the neck on another guitar, and I can’t remember now where the bridge came from. I built it for my son about 10 years ago. It was a sunburst color before I painted it. It’s almost lake placid blue. It’s got a jazzmaster/tele vibe to it. I call it “Bluebird”. This is what it sounds like:

This is what it looks like, next to my bass which is called “Charlie”:

Old 02-28-22, 07:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
1980 Tokai Strat
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 02-28-22, 01:10 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
😍😍😍😍😍😍
Old 07-15-22, 09:54 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Here are a couple of mine (the Ibanez is gone)

Likes For RobertUI:
Old 07-15-22, 11:29 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I'm 4 days into a 5-day Covid quarantine, so I've been spending some quality time in the basement with an old friend.

It's a 62 Reissue made in Mexico that I bought new in 96. Let's see, the bridge is blocked, strings are Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms, pickups wired like a Tele (middle disconnected) with the switch reversed so that when I inevitably hit it with my hand it stays in the neck pickup (which is super beefy), and one of the tone knobs is deleted so that the volume knob is moved down and out of the way of my ham hands.

I never wanted a Strat, but in 96 all of us teachers, at my first real job, got a $475 bonus for our standardized testing scores, so I headed to Zone Music in Cotati, Ca to buy my first real electric guitar. (I'll post my first fake electric guitar later) I always wanted a Les Paul, but my friend Chris Vibberts, who is an awesome musician and worked at Zone, explained to me that for $475 I was more in Fender territory. He said, "This is a really nice one," and pulled down this Strat and started playing it, and it was love at first sight. The reissue plastics are all tinted a mint green to make them look older, and the finish on the neck is deliberately yellowed, so with the shiny, black body, I was just smitten. Those of you who've sat and played a Strat after holding a Tele or Paul know that they just feel smooth and right. And Chris was correct, this is a really nice one.

It took a few years to realize that I wasn't ever going to be precise enough to be a real Strat player, so with the help of a few good shops, mods were made that allow me to beat on this thing the way I like. I've rarely taken bikes into shops, but I learned with this guitar that if you just take it in every couple of years and talk to the set-up person, they'll suggest things that you never would have thought of that will make the instrument so much more fun to play.

Over the years we've written lots of songs, had a band, played a few shows, and made four records. All of it on a low-key, just-for-fun sort of level. I have been lucky to have been friends with three different recording engineers in Portland, so the records that we made, as I bartered my contractor services, sound way better than they might have. I'm not sure if I can link them, but if you search Heavy Sweaters (band name) you'll find three albums: Old Man Garage, Loud Love Songs for the Girls Upstairs, and The Art of Retreat. One of them is probably the only album cover with a 72 Super Course in the background!

Old 07-18-22, 02:28 PM
icedog

Bikes: Burley Duet; Kestrel Legend SL; Cannondale SR600, Cannondale Trail 6 29er,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Small Collection

These are 3 of my guitars....only the Univox qualifies as "Vintage"...maybe...depends on how you feel about mid-60's Matsumoku-made guitars. They built under a lot of names, Epiphone included. This Univox has been refretted (my first attempt), modified for humbuckers in lieu of the original pickups (which were long-gone). I got rid of the poor Bigsby copy and replaced it with a trapeze for tuning stability. Same with the keystone-style tuning machines. The originals were pretty poor. Happy with the result. Funky vibe.

The strat is a parts-caster that also turned out quite well. GFS classic 63 pickups-jury is still out on those. The Hamer has no serial number but I'm guessing 90's and probably Korean made. It has a repaired headstock so it didn't cost a lot. Repair seems very stable and it sounds great.

Likes For icedog:
Old 07-18-22, 03:05 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Fretwork looks nice from here.
Old 07-18-22, 04:53 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by JacobLee
It's a 62 Reissue made in Mexico that I bought new in 96. Let's see, the bridge is blocked, strings are Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms, pickups wired like a Tele (middle disconnected) with the switch reversed so that when I inevitably hit it with my hand it stays in the neck pickup (which is super beefy), and one of the tone knobs is deleted so that the volume knob is moved down and out of the way of my ham hands.

Those of you who've sat and played a Strat after holding a Tele or Paul know that they just feel smooth and right. And Chris was correct, this is a really nice one.

I have friends that make fun of me because I don't get along with Strats. I've just never been able to get comfortable with them. My wife had a nice Strat (that currently lives with the little boy), and I spent a lot of time trying to get it. Truth be told, I don't really get along with Telecasters either- but it was much easier to rearrange the switching on the Tele. So I'm glad to see you've got the controls set up for you- it makes sense.

My Telecaster is an early 90s Foto-Flame. I just got it as a cheap Japanese Tele- it had this garish clown burst with the totally unbelievable Foto-Flame veneer under it. It was a cheap Japanese guitar- so I sanded it down and spray painted it Krylon Almond. (of course those are $1000 guitars these days... But the veneer looks really good on the neck. It's wired sorta like a Flying V or something. Bridge volume, neck tone in the middle, neck volume- with a 3 position up/down toggle. I dislike the blade switch. Since this pic was taken (years ago), I've replaced the plate with a blank plate so no extraneous holes and bends...

Old 07-18-22, 06:35 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I have friends that make fun of me because I don't get along with Strats. I've just never been able to get comfortable with them. My wife had a nice Strat (that currently lives with the little boy), and I spent a lot of time trying to get it. Truth be told, I don't really get along with Telecasters either- but it was much easier to rearrange the switching on the Tele. So I'm glad to see you've got the controls set up for you- it makes sense.

My Telecaster is an early 90s Foto-Flame. I just got it as a cheap Japanese Tele- it had this garish clown burst with the totally unbelievable Foto-Flame veneer under it. It was a cheap Japanese guitar- so I sanded it down and spray painted it Krylon Almond. (of course those are $1000 guitars these days... But the veneer looks really good on the neck. It's wired sorta like a Flying V or something. Bridge volume, neck tone in the middle, neck volume- with a 3 position up/down toggle. I dislike the blade switch. Since this pic was taken (years ago), I've replaced the plate with a blank plate so no extraneous holes and bends...

That Krylon almond looks good. I'm gonna have to look up foto-flame; sounds awful!

I feel lucky that my guitar curiosity was extinguished as soon as I owned a strat, a tele, a good acoustic, and a Fender Super 112 that I bought off my college roommate. I wish it were the same with bikes!
Old 07-18-22, 07:12 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

The Golden Boy does it have a joker or hamburgular on the back of the neck?

Old 08-07-22, 08:33 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Got this recently from an online pawn shop with a cracked headstock. All fixed with some other reversible mods and it plays/ sounds great!

1974 Rickenbacker 4001 bass in Azureglo:

Old 08-07-22, 09:56 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by fender1
Got this recently from an online pawn shop with a cracked headstock. All fixed with some other reversible mods and it plays/ sounds great!

1974 Rickenbacker 4001 bass in Azureglo:

Azureglo!!! (there's no way I would have remembered that). Wasn't that one of the colors that was discontinued in the early 80s until they found a less toxic formula for it?

And what kind of swingy spinning acrobatics do you have to do and what do you have to hit to break off a Rick headstock?

Here's my old Rick- I still have the Marshall cab and the EB-0, but everything else is gone.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-07-22 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 07:50 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Azureglo!!! (there's no way I would have remembered that). Wasn't that one of the colors that was discontinued in the early 80s until they found a less toxic formula for it?

And what kind of swingy spinning acrobatics do you have to do and what do you have to hit to break off a Rick headstock?

Here's my old Rick- I still have the Marshall cab and the EB-0, but everything else is gone.

Nice! I wish I still had all the stuff I sold off!

This is what the crack looked like before repair:

If you flexed the headstock it opened up a good bit. This is a pretty common area to break on old Ric.

I cracked my original 4001 in the same spot when I threw the bass down on the ground in anger. The promoter at a club didn’t like the band I was in and cut power to the stage mid song. We were opening for The Replacement’s at Trenton City Gardens in NJ and I was really excited to play the show.
We got kicked out and didn’t get to see the Replacement s play. It was a double loss!

Last edited by fender1; 08-07-22 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For fender1:
Old 08-21-22, 03:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Is there a better deal/value on medium acoustic strings in brass/bronze than these two?

d'addario bronze 3-pack for $16

ernie ball earthwood 3-pack for $19
Old 08-21-22, 08:29 PM
Hobbiano 

@SurferRosa That's a decent price. I like the d'addario phosphor bronze EJ16's, 012 - 052. They are lite gauge but heavy enough for me. I think most new acoustics come with 12's. A little less tension sometimes sounds better. I also like tuning down a half step on an acoustic, just feels better and sounds good, to me. I've ordered from juststrings.com. I usually try to find 10-packs, a little cheaper and last me years.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 08-21-22, 09:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
I also like tuning down a half step on an acoustic, just feels better and sounds good to me.
Thanks. I'll try that next time I string it.

I wanted more bang for the buck, thinking 13s would sound deeper or something. And my fingers are used to that gauge.

Also noted the 10-pack tip.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-26-22, 06:56 AM
Hobbiano 

@SurferRosa Strings and Beyond has D'Addario 80/20 3-packs for 10.99 https://www.stringsandbeyond.com
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 08-28-22, 04:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Sure wish I could change strings once a month. I love how bright and loud harmonics sound with new strings. FMaj7 sounded wrong tuned down, so I went standard.

Likes For SurferRosa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.