Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2022 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2022 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 06-29-22, 08:03 AM
Devilmedic
Bumped my head.

Bikes: Trek Crossrip LTD, Specialized Rockhopper, Soul beach crusier, Trek 930

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Scored for grandson

Raleigh XXIX! Gonna change up the cockpit for him
Old 06-29-22, 12:45 PM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 40 Posts
2001 Fuji Track

Got this Fuji Track from an eBay seller in NC a couple weeks ago. I believe it's the 2001 model. Still smooth as ever 20 years later.

Tossed some parts on her and went for a nice 5 mile ride on Monday to test waters on a maiden voyage. Definitely one of my favorites right away.

The frameset came with a seat, seatpost, seatpost collar, headset, stem and handlebars, which was nice. The seatpost collar was replaced with a Phil Wood right away, but during my 5 mile test I had issues with the seatpost slipping. The Phil clamp was pretty bulky and the thickness of the material made it difficult to clamp as much as needed. Swapped out for a Hope clamp and the issue was fixed right away.

In general, I don't think it needs much tweaking. The parts are pretty solid, so at this point I'm picking off the parts that can be red. I've got plans to swap in a red Hope seatpost clamp, red Ritchey stem, and maybe experiment with some red spoke nipples instead of my usual purple.

Thanks for looking and ride safe

Old 07-03-22, 09:30 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
NBD (new bar day)

Same Pista, different bars. Still need to replace the crankset. They're effing awful, but functional. Feels weird on risers after years of mainly drops and sometimes bullhorns.

Likes For Senrab62:
Old 07-04-22, 08:45 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts

Wabi Thunder wearing 2" (700x50) Schwalbe Big Apples.
Old 07-05-22, 09:15 PM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Went out for a 27 mile ride on Sunday with a good buddy who just got himself an e bike.

Snagged this pic on the way home passing through downtown:

Old 07-12-22, 11:58 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Snapped this pic when riding around town getting groceries, etc. Fairly new Motobecane Record frame, but I've been riding fixed for about 15 years now (recently moved off of my old Redline 925). This is definitely my preferred ride for running errands around town. The bar plugs are courtesy of Catoctin Creek Distillery rye sampler... yum The saddle has been changed, but I put this one back on whenever I'm expecting a couple weeks of wet weather. For a cheap gimic, the saddles's really not so bad.

Likes For RobertUI:
Old 07-14-22, 10:19 PM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts
My NJS inspired Fuji Feather, I've learned a lot about painting bike frames from this bike: sandblasted it a few times and painted it over and over until I am happy with it.
Primed, sanded, repeat, then add paint, sand and paint again, added decal and clear coat, not happy with the result and strip it back, repaint and add Keirin flake and 2k clear coat, finally happy with the result.
Specs:
Nitto NJS track drop B125 (velodrome) / Nitto B809AA Riser (casual)
Nitto NP2 NJS stem (velodrome) / Nitto pearl (casual)
Nitto NJS SP72 seatpost with Flite saddle(velodrome) / Nitto S65 Crystal Fellow seatpost with Fizik Arione (casual)
Thomson clamp
Sram Omnium crankset
Sugino Zen NJS chainring
Izumi Super Toughness V NJS chain
Roselli Track cog (velodrome) / Shimano MX30 (casual)
Velocity deep V track hub and wheelset (velodrome) / H Plus Son wheelset (casual) / CF front wheel.
Dura ace 7810 pedal / MKS NJS pedal, toe clip and straps.
Dura ace 7700 front brake.

Last edited by NDL; 07-14-22 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-15-22, 02:55 AM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by geomiko
Got this Fuji Track from an eBay seller in NC a couple weeks ago. I believe it's the 2001 model. Still smooth as ever 20 years later.

Tossed some parts on her and went for a nice 5 mile ride on Monday to test waters on a maiden voyage. Definitely one of my favorites right away.

The frameset came with a seat, seatpost, seatpost collar, headset, stem and handlebars, which was nice. The seatpost collar was replaced with a Phil Wood right away, but during my 5 mile test I had issues with the seatpost slipping. The Phil clamp was pretty bulky and the thickness of the material made it difficult to clamp as much as needed. Swapped out for a Hope clamp and the issue was fixed right away.

In general, I don't think it needs much tweaking. The parts are pretty solid, so at this point I'm picking off the parts that can be red. I've got plans to swap in a red Hope seatpost clamp, red Ritchey stem, and maybe experiment with some red spoke nipples instead of my usual purple.

Thanks for looking and ride safe

Beautiful bike, may I ask what threadless adaptor you are using? I want to do the same to my fuji.
Old 07-15-22, 09:39 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Speaking of which, I read some good things about this threadless adapter a while ago on the C&V forums. Does anyone here have any experience with this product?

https://www.innicycle.com/

I decided to go with with a NOS Cinelli Pinocchio cromo stem instead for my last build so I didn't get to try it but it looks intreguing.
Old 07-16-22, 11:42 AM
geomiko

Originally Posted by NDL
Beautiful bike, may I ask what threadless adaptor you are using? I want to do the same to my fuji.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

The build in those photos actually uses a 1" threadless fork, so there is no adaptor. There is a 1/8" shim so that I can use more of my modern stems. The seller included them with the frameset, so figured I'd try the setup out for a few miles.

On the topic of 1" quill to 1" threadless converters, I've had great luck with the Nitto MTC-01:

This is a pic I took while assembling the first time. I got the MTC-01 after finding a Cinelli Alter stem at a swap meet. It turns out, finding the 1" quill to threadless converter was harder than finding the Alter stem. Cinelli made some, but they're hard to find. Ben's Cycle in Milwaukee had this Nitto version for sale.

Here's a pic of it with the 1" threadless Alter stem:

Thanks for looking and best of luck with your build

Likes For geomiko:
Old 07-16-22, 03:35 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by geomiko
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Here's a pic of it with the 1" threadless Alter stem:

Thanks for looking and best of luck with your build

nice cramerotti
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 07-16-22, 11:32 PM
geomiko

Originally Posted by acoustophile
nice cramerotti
Thanks, great eye. It's cool to see another one on this website. How long have you had yours? I love the patina.

Here's a pic of my Cramer build as it hangs on the wall right now. Photo was taken during a sunset chinese food/joint ride earlier this week:

Likes For geomiko:
Old 07-17-22, 07:05 AM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Santa Fe Springs CA.

Industrial area on the south side of L.A.

Bloomfield just north of Imperial Highway.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 07-23-22, 12:32 PM
Bisexcycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sonik Jamis

Came with American classic 420 wheels decaled to say American ass now haha. I want a rear 4 spoke even though a disc would be faster🤷, but nothing's cooler and original than matching 4 spokes
Old 07-23-22, 12:33 PM
Bisexcycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sonik Jamis

Came with American classic 420 wheels decaled to say American ass now haha. I want a rear 4 spoke even though a disc would be faster🤷, but nothing's cooler and original than matching 4 spokes
Old 08-03-22, 12:04 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 21 Posts
never liked how cockpit had turned out, managed to find Phil Wood shiny headset, Simworks 31.8 shiny stem, and Tarugata gum grips online and luckily LBS had the Simworks spacers; also v impressed with the Rock N Roll Gold Chain Lube - bike has never been as smooth or as quiet

/swoon

Last edited by PIFFLE; 08-03-22 at 12:21 PM. Reason: forgot about black-to-shiny headset swap
Old 08-03-22, 07:35 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Picked up this 50cm IRO Mark V for the woman today.. swapped the wheels over to a set of Archetypes I had sitting around and gave it the single speed treatment with parts I had laying around.
Likes For ceelint:
Old 08-03-22, 09:44 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
Indiana Dunes

^^^^^ popular bike lately.

Just got back from a short trip, used this to get around the area. Love this bike, have been riding it a lot lately.

Not the best pic, on an incline.

Had to add the nature shot
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 08-09-22, 05:18 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Decided to finally go clipless, picked up some Velosambas. 👍🏼👍🏼
Likes For ceelint:
Old 08-14-22, 11:04 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 08-16-22, 11:58 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 8 Posts
My trusty Samson

Likes For Regulatori:
Old 08-19-22, 04:51 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts

Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 08-20-22, 11:31 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
So, after nearly 6 years, I've finally built a new bike. This time it's an All City Bike Block, something I've had on the drawing board for over a decade. The frameset was purchased on eBay for $549, which is $200 less than the current MSRP. I installed a Cane Creek S3 headset that I had in my parts bin. I wanted this to be an all-road type bike that could even do some single-track on occasion. So, I spec'd Panaracer GravelKing SS+ tires, 32mm in the front and 35mm in the rear. Unfortunately, although the 32mm fits fine in the front, the 35mm will not fit in the rear, rubbing on the seatstays even with the wheel axle moved to the very end of the dropout. So, in order to get the bike on the road, I've temporarily installed a 32mm Panaracer Pasela ProTite in the rear until I can source a 32mm GravelKing. The wheelset was built at Retrogression with H+Son Archetype rims and Grand Compe LF hubs that weighs only 1650g. The cranks are Andel Deluxe with no logos. Bar and stem are Nitto, seatpost is Alpina, saddle is Charge Spoon, cog is Soma, chain is KMC K1SL, pedals are Shimano PD-M520, brake caliper is Dia-Compe BRS-101, brake lever is Dia-Compe Tech 99 and grips are ESI Extra Chunky. Some of these components were sourced from my parts bin. Total cost is just under $1800. Total weight is just over 20 lbs.

All City Big Block in Midnight/Frost/Violet

All City Big Block cockpit

All City Big Block rear view

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-20-22 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added grips
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 08-21-22, 12:52 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
So, after nearly 6 years, I've finally built a new bike. This time it's an All City Bike Block, something I've had on the drawing board for over a decade. The frameset was purchased on eBay for $549, which is $200 less than the current MSRP. I installed a Cane Creek S3 headset that I had in my parts bin. I wanted this to be an all-road type bike that could even do some single-track on occasion. So, I spec'd Panaracer GravelKing SS+ tires, 32mm in the front and 35mm in the rear. Unfortunately, although the 32mm fits fine in the front, the 35mm will not fit in the rear, rubbing on the seatstays even with the wheel axle moved to the very end of the dropout. So, in order to get the bike on the road, I've temporarily installed a 32mm Panaracer Pasela ProTite in the rear until I can source a 32mm GravelKing. The wheelset was built at Retrogression with H+Son Archetype rims and Grand Compe LF hubs that weighs only 1650g. The cranks are Andel Deluxe with no logos. Bar and stem are Nitto, seatpost is Alpina, saddle is Charge Spoon, cog is Soma, chain is KMC K1SL, pedals are Shimano PD-M520, brake caliper is Dia-Compe BRS-101, brake lever is Dia-Compe Tech 99 and grips are ESI Extra Chunky. Some of these components were sourced from my parts bin. Total cost is just under $1800. Total weight is just over 20 lbs.

All City Big Block in Midnight/Frost/Violet

All City Big Block cockpit

All City Big Block rear view
Absolutely love this. Good job🔥
Old 08-21-22, 11:44 PM
TurboTrueno

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
New rider here. This Cramerotti was my mom's courier bike year-round in Calgary for over 10 years. I remember helping carry it up the stairs to our apartment when I was a little kid

She put on the new wheels, bar, and brake around 2007.

I had to change the gearing because I could barely move (mom was a beast apparently). Wore the old tires down learning to skid, so I put new tires, as well as the seat pouch and water cage. Thinking about new bar tape soon (I wiped out on my first day with SPD shoes)

Plan to restore the frame properly this winter, with the original paint scheme. Just need to source all the correct decals

It has little birds on the fork and seat stays. Is it the Columbus bird? It used to have the Columbus SLX sticker, but it fell off. The lugs are the kind with little hearts

Not sure what the seat is, it looks strange but is really comfy. The frame seems to fit me quite well, with less than an inch standover height.

Having a blast with it so far, I commute 10km each way, with some sizeable hills. I love how quiet it is. Everything feels really smooth. I think I liked 23c tires more, but everyone says 25c is faster so I am trying them out

Likes For TurboTrueno:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.