Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brooks leather seats.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brooks leather seats.

Old 07-22-22, 01:03 PM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Brooks leather seats.

I'm considering ordering a Brooks leather seat for my 1964 Schwinn Supersport. The bike originally had a Brooks seat but ended up getting switched out years ago when I loaned the bike to a family member. It looks like a B17 is probably the seat I should order. I'm wondering if any of you have this seat and what are your thoughts ? Is there a good source for these or should I just order from Amazon ? Thanks !
Old 07-22-22, 01:07 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
https://googlethatforyou.com?q=Brooks%20B17%20forums
Old 07-22-22, 01:09 PM
1964Supersport

Thanks so much ! I didn't even think to do that.
Old 07-22-22, 02:17 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’d order a Brooks saddle.
Old 07-22-22, 02:50 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Some things to be aware of, based on my personal experience with one:

- They really do take a long time time to break in. I have hundreds of miles on mine, and it’s just now starting to get softened or formed to my pelvis.

- They really are potentially very comfortable, as claimed by Sheldon Brown and many others, once you get through that long break in period. I can see myself becoming very fond of mine.

- They are actually not hard to maintain. You keep a light coat of the oily treatment on it (Proofide or equivalent), and get one of their plastic covers if you ride in the rain. The design is quite durable.

- Adjustment is critical, even more so than with other types of seats. A few degrees of difference in tilt can really make or break the comfort, and it’s specific to each individual rider. You don’t just throw it on, start riding, and have a good experience guaranteed.

Good luck! I got the one with a relief cutout, and I recommend it. Hopefully you will find it works well for you, with an understanding of the points made above.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-22-22, 04:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
... what are your thoughts ? Is there a good source for these?
About half the regulars that hang in the c&v subforum use a Brooks saddle. Often, guys will have one on every bike in their collection, whether it be for touring, city, or a dedicated road bike. The B17 is the most popular model. I prefer the Pro. Go to eBay to buy a new one, right now between $90 and $105 shipped (+tax). Sometimes, you can find one in really good shape on your local Craigslist if you live in a cycling community. I like them brand new, right out of the box, no break-in required, no Proofide required (ever).
Old 07-22-22, 04:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Not sure why you would buy a saddle just because it may have been what was originally on the bike. Saddles come in all sorts of shapes and designs because each of us is different.

The b17 is fine. It rakes time to break in and you need to point the nose up at like a 20 degree angle. Angle it up so it looks goofy and then angle it up a smidge more- that will be the proper angle.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-22-22, 05:06 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Some things to be aware of, based on my personal experience with one:

- They really do take a long time time to break in. I have hundreds of miles on mine, and it’s just now starting to get softened or formed to my pelvis.

- They really are potentially very comfortable, as claimed by Sheldon Brown and many others, once you get through that long break in period. I can see myself becoming very fond of mine.

- They are actually not hard to maintain. You keep a light coat of the oily treatment on it (Proofide or equivalent), and get one of their plastic covers if you ride in the rain. The design is quite durable.

- Adjustment is critical, even more so than with other types of seats. A few degrees of difference in tilt can really make or break the comfort, and it’s specific to each individual rider. You don’t just throw it on, start riding, and have a good experience guaranteed.

Good luck! I got the one with a relief cutout, and I recommend it. Hopefully you will find it works well for you, with an understanding of the points made above.
Thanks so much for the explanation, I plan on ordering a new one soon. Not long ago I brought my 64 Supersport out of storage. I had to replace the rear tube so the tire would stay up. Both tires have dry rot, installed in 1983. I was testing my back to see if it would tolerate riding. I seem to be doing ok so I"m going to replace both tires next week. Next I want to replace my seat with a Brooks. Just trying to make sure I order the right model so I don't have to return it. There was mention of a B17 cutout model, I need to know more about that. If my size makes a difference I'm 5'7 165 lbs. Thanks !
Old 07-22-22, 06:11 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
You might try a quick search here n BF as there's dozens, and dozens, and dozens of threads discussing Brooks saddles.
Old 07-22-22, 06:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have seven bikes and seven Brooks saddles. Three are B17s, three are C17 Cambiums, and one is a Professional. I love them all, and I categorically reject the exaggerated complaints about the break-in period. Yes, they are kind of expensive. Yes, they are kind of heavy. And yes, my shiny chrome 62-year-old ass is worth it. I won’t ride anything else, and neither should you.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-22-22, 07:02 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by Rolla
I have seven bikes and seven Brooks saddles. Three are B17s, three are C17 Cambiums, and one is a Professional. I love them all, and I categorically reject the exaggerated complaints about the break-in period. Yes, they are kind of expensive. Yes, they are kind of heavy. And yes, my shiny chrome 62-year-old ass is worth it. I won’t ride anything else, and neither should you.
Thanks for the info, and by the way I've got you by 5 yrs, I'm 67.
Likes For 1964Supersport:
Old 07-22-22, 07:03 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by fishboat
You might try a quick search here n BF as there's dozens, and dozens, and dozens of threads discussing Brooks saddles.
I'm sorry whats BF ?
Old 07-22-22, 07:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26380 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...most of mine are Brooks Professional model. But from your description of just starting to get back on the bike, the B17, which is cut a little wider in the back, is probably what you want.
Old 07-22-22, 07:40 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I'm sorry whats BF ?
"here on BF"...your on Bike Forums
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-22-22, 09:13 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by fishboat
Thanks !
Old 07-23-22, 07:53 AM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...most of mine are Brooks Professional model. But from your description of just starting to get back on the bike, the B17, which is cut a little wider in the back, is probably what you want.
I have a silly question. When looking at pictures of the underside of New Brooks seats I don't see the bracket that bolts to the seat post. Do new seats come with that bracket or am I suppose to use the one from my old seat ?

This is a picture of the seat that is on my bike. Do I need to reuse the bracket with a new Brooks B17 ? Will there be any fitmit problems ? Sorry for the questions, this is my first time doing a seat swap. Thanks !
Old 07-23-22, 08:00 AM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I have both the Brooks Team Professional and the B17. For some reason the Professional feels more comfortable. If I was to order the B17 again, I would order the one with the copper rivets. One of the rivets on the B17 is not flush. With copper rivets, there is an easy remedy. I don't know what do do about the situation with the B17.
Old 07-23-22, 08:10 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
The Brooks will not come with a bracket to attach to the bike.
Old 07-23-22, 08:16 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport;[url=tel:22584698
22584698]I have a silly question. When looking at pictures of the underside of New Brooks seats I don't see the bracket that bolts to the seat post. Do new seats come with that bracket or am I suppose to use the one from my old seat ?
The attachment clamp is part of the seatpost, not the saddle. I would recommend getting a seatpost with an affixed head, rather than the detachable kind in your photo. You’ll get more fore-aft adjustability, for one, and a generally more secure interface.
Old 07-23-22, 11:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26380 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
I have a silly question. When looking at pictures of the underside of New Brooks seats I don't see the bracket that bolts to the seat post. Do new seats come with that bracket or am I suppose to use the one from my old seat ?

This is a picture of the seat that is on my bike. Do I need to reuse the bracket with a new Brooks B17 ? Will there be any fitmit problems ? Sorry for the questions, this is my first time doing a seat swap. Thanks !
Originally Posted by Rolla
The attachment clamp is part of the seatpost, not the saddle. I would recommend getting a seatpost with an affixed head, rather than the detachable kind in your photo. You’ll get more fore-aft adjustability, for one, and a generally more secure interface.
...I agree with this. Those older style clamps and posts that fit them are a product of a much more primitive manufacturing structure, and are tedious to adjust...often limited in adjustability.
You can get a pretty decent alloy seat post with an integral clamping mechanism on Amazon now in the $20 range. You do have to size it correctly, with respect to diameter, and you will probably need to shorten it with a hacksaw and a file.

Or you can look for something used. Sugino made some good, solid ones, if you can find one in the right diameter. As did SR, with their Laprade seat post.

For the new ones, on Amazon, there are a plethora of things that will work, all marketed under different names. Try to spend at least 20 bucks, to avoid the worst of them, but make sure you get the right diameter. You can use your old post and clamp if you really need to, but generally speaking they are troublesome to use and adjust.
Old 07-23-22, 01:15 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
I scoffed at Brooks saddles for many years. I used Selle Italia saddles, a San Marcos Rolls, Serfas, and Specialized Body Geometry. I finally got a Brooks after having tried everything else, and was hooked. All of my bikes are fitted with Brooks B17 saddles. The B17 is wide enough that I can ride for hours without needing cycling shorts, but not so wide that it chafes.
Old 07-23-22, 01:25 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Comfort on the B17 is very sensitive to saddle height. If it is slightly too high, you will experience perineum pain. So many people get away with running their saddle too high, by using a seat with a cutout. Get your saddle position correct, fore and aft, and height, and you should have no issues.
Old 07-23-22, 01:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I think the clamp you have will give you a wider fore-aft adjustment range, than an integrated seatpost/clamp since your clamp can be reversed. Lots of people love the Brooks saddles, but it doesn't fit everyone.
Old 07-23-22, 02:34 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I scoffed at Brooks saddles for many years. I used Selle Italia saddles, a San Marcos Rolls, Serfas, and Specialized Body Geometry. I finally got a Brooks after having tried everything else, and was hooked. All of my bikes are fitted with Brooks B17 saddles. The B17 is wide enough that I can ride for hours without needing cycling shorts, but not so wide that it chafes.
Thank you for that information, I'm going to order a black B17 just need to decide where.
Old 07-23-22, 04:09 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’d order a Brooks saddle.
Any recommendation on where to order from ? I always try and order with free shipping. Amazon is probably good, just need to find a good seller. Guess I can always read reviews if nobody chimes in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.