Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Old 08-08-22, 02:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Beng has made his position very clear. If you buy a bike that was made in this century, and are not capable of racing and winning at the highest levels of competition, you are a sucker, a poser, and a fool.
If I have the time this evening, I'm going to be another one of beng's fools - I'm going to *gasp* buy a new, unopened bottle of liquor.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-22, 02:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4841 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If I have the time this evening, I'm going to be another one of beng's fools - I'm going to *gasp* buy a new, unopened bottle of liquor.
I did that this past weekend. However, I won't be flinging it into a dumpster until it's completely empty.
Old 08-08-22, 03:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,275 Times in 3,460 Posts
I did that this past weekend. However, I won't be flinging it into a dumpster until it's completely empty.
So did I!

But, I went cheap and got a big ole handle of Jose Cuervo since I was only serving family.

Agree on only throwing out empties.

But, I might also use the empty to wash my chain in mineral spirits, and then discard it into the dumpster.
Old 08-08-22, 03:09 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
The thing that's really bothering me about this thread is how does the OP pronounce his handle? No e after the g means it could go lots of ways. That's the real head scratcher.
Old 08-08-22, 03:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Mojo31
So did I!

But, I went cheap and got a big ole handle of Jose Cuervo since I was only serving family.

Agree on only throwing out empties.

But, I might also use the empty to wash my chain in mineral spirits, and then discard it into the dumpster.
Mine was a big square bottle. Jack Daniels and Diet Pepsi are my go-to weekend evening beverage.

I've never done a mineral spirits chain wash before. I usually just run my chain through one of those chain cleaner box gizmos with degreaser while with chain is still on the bike, and then give it a good wipe-down and re-lube. I guess that's a habit born from the days before quick-links.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-08-22 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-08-22, 03:41 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I bought one several years back.I always liked playing with them at my grandparents but the phone company came and took them from both of my grandparents homes decades ago. My rotary phone came with an adapter wired onto the plug that allows it to work, for now. I was told that once the phone company upgrades the system it won’t work any longer. I also have a touch tone phone in my elevator, a basic phone that doesn’t rely on outside electricity is required. It is a wall mount, I wanted a rotary but couldn’t find one that would have room to wall mount with the adapter on it.

Have you checked the price of a rotary dial phone?

My daughter just bought an older house with a wall mount and jack for such a thing. I thought it would be a cool house warming gift to get her an old rotary phone for the wall since she is a cell only yute. But, nope, folks are selling working models for well over $200!
Old 08-08-22, 04:07 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mine was a big square bottle. Jack Daniels and Diet Pepsi are my go-to weekend evening beverage.

I've never done a mineral spirits chain wash before. I usually just run my chain through one of those chain cleaner box gizmos with degreaser while with chain is still on the bike, and then give it a good wipe-down and re-lube. I guess that's a habit born from the days before quick-links.
I'm a waxer. It gives me a competitive advantage. It's a relatively recent innovation.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-08-22, 04:24 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I drip boeshield on the links occasionally. they could all use a good cleaning.
Old 08-08-22, 04:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
People will often act in such a way in order to elevate their own sense of self-esteem when they cannot get the stuff or do the things that they secretly want.

No money for Hawaii? Just tell everyone that they are a fool for going since you can get the same experience on the shore of the local lake.

Can't afford the nice, carbon bike? No problem, just postulate that the same pleasure can be derived from riding a 20 year old bike that you bought for $50 ten years ago, and everyone should be happy doing the same.

Etc., etc.
This seems to be the most logical explanation. Why else would he be sooo bitter? Of course, he is a self righteous know it all, so there's that.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 04:49 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by big john
This seems to be the most logical explanation. Why else would he be sooo bitter? Of course, he is a self righteous know it all, so there's that.
Yeah, I don't get it. With one or two exceptions, there will always be someone with more money and some with less. Let the ones with more spend their money. Encourage them to do so, in fact. It's good for the economy.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-08-22, 04:56 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
so dumping the cash into that is a waste of money unless they are okay with spending one or two thousand dollars for each mph gain they get
Why do you think that people buying high-end bikes aren't okay with spending one or two thousand dollars for an extra mph?
Old 08-08-22, 05:29 PM
big john

Yeah, I don't get it. With one or two exceptions, there will always be someone with more money and some with less. Let the ones with more spend their money. Encourage them to do so, in fact. It's good for the economy.
Riding with clubs in this area exposes one to some people with money. They have been some of the nicest people in the club. My one friend buys high end bikes then sells them to other club members for half price. Several members have scored bikes from him, but he's not my size.
Once a club member was injured in a crash and the guy offered him money to cover his rent or whatever he needed since he couldn't work for a time. He hardly knew the guy.
Another well off member was also very generous and paid for the wedding and reception for a couple who met in the club. Incredible. He had an old steel Pinarello which he had stripped and plated with black chrome. The only black chrome bike I've seen.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 05:41 PM
big john

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Why do you think that people buying high-end bikes aren't okay with spending one or two thousand dollars for an extra mph?
You must be new here.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 07:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Riding with clubs in this area exposes one to some people with money. They have been some of the nicest people in the club. My one friend buys high end bikes then sells them to other club members for half price. Several members have scored bikes from him, but he's not my size.
Once a club member was injured in a crash and the guy offered him money to cover his rent or whatever he needed since he couldn't work for a time. He hardly knew the guy.
Another well off member was also very generous and paid for the wedding and reception for a couple who met in the club. Incredible. He had an old steel Pinarello which he had stripped and plated with black chrome. The only black chrome bike I've seen.
There are a lot of people who are well off and very generous. I have one friend who paid for six kids’ college education. In addition to his own two. I don’t see the point in being bitter because someone has or makes more money. There will never be a society where everyone will be equal in all respects. Never has been.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-08-22, 07:17 PM
big john

There are a lot of people who are well off and very generous. I have one friend who paid for six kids’ college education. In addition to his own two. I don’t see the point in being bitter because someone has or makes more money. There will never be a society where everyone will be equal in all respects. Never has been.
Nope. And it seems when we are riding together everyone is equal, at least there is no snobbery or reverse snobbery. We're all just riders.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 07:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Nope. And it seems when we are riding together everyone is equal, at least there is no snobbery or reverse snobbery. We're all just riders.
Yep.
Old 08-08-22, 08:11 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Dy-am!!!
The only distilled alcohol I have bought in the last few years was a bottle of Talisker single malt Scotch.

Aye laddie, ye can taste the peat. When a bottle of dumpster diving vodka is just as "good"?

Modern improvements: tubeless road tires, Threadless headsets, external bearing crank sets, high strength steel, and carbon fiber crank arms. To name just a few.

Does anyone think that the older steel frames are as good as a modern steel frame? My old school bike brings back great memories, but the tires get flats more easily and it starts to wobble above 30 MPH.

And EPS is wonderful. No need to trim the front derailleur. The computer does it for me. Easier to ride, more reliable, more comfortable, and measurably faster.

My modem Lynskey is less hassle and more FUN than my 80's Peugeot. And the Peugeot was their first line bike in 1982i! The Lynskey is a quality recreational bike
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 08-08-22, 08:53 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Do you not understand why people spend money?
Apple's entire existence as a brand is based on this.Heck, there are brands that sell limited editions products that go for two, three, four times the original price in resale just because people want those things. And you wonder why people who have cycling as a hobby are keen to spend money on gadgets to do with cycling?
There are still plenty of bikes around 1k, there is second hand, if people want to not spend a lot, they could. The fact that expensive bikes are being bought is proof that you are wrong.
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one along with a Britney Spears record because the "Jonses" are doing it, no thanks, I will keep thinking for myself thank-you.;

Last edited by beng1; 08-08-22 at 08:57 PM.
Likes For beng1:
Old 08-08-22, 10:02 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one
It all depends if it is self propelled or not. I have found that no matter how aero I try to get when I mow the lawn with a non-self propelled mower, the self propelled model always wins.

Then again, artificial turf has definite advantages over both.

John
Old 08-08-22, 10:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I'm a waxer. It gives me a competitive advantage. It's a relatively recent innovation.
Will waxing help me win sprints to the next dumpster?
Old 08-08-22, 11:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one along with a Britney Spears record because the "Jonses" are doing it, no thanks, I will keep thinking for myself thank-you.;

How sad. While you’re attempting to justify why spending your day whacking away with a tool considered obsolete before you were born is a good idea, I’d rather use a modern efficient tool that allows me to spend quality time with my family…or riding my bike…or taking a nap.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-08-22 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-08-22, 11:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
And why should someone who buys something nice be made to feel bad about it? It just doesn't make sense and it's mean. I'm impressed when I see people enjoying the heck out of a cheap bike and also impressed by people who really enjoy using equipment that is "above" them, just because it's really nice gear. I never feel jealousy, unless having the thought "gee, that's really nice, it would be great to have one" is jealousy.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-08-22, 11:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10248 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts

Dude, You went too far. The scythe is too obviously ridiculous. You should have stuck with an old push mower.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-08-22, 11:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts

I call bulls*** on the scythe, but maybe it's true. Have any action shots? Looks like a nice lawn ornament to me.

beng1 - could you please quote where someone actually said to you that you must buy modern stuff? I believe the points being made have been have been against your strongly held opinion that modern stuff is not worth it and self-righteous attitude anyone who buys it is stupid for doing it. But I don't think anyone has said Mr Beng1, you must buy it!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-08-22, 11:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

This has also been my experience. The quality of the rider (not just power capabilities) is much more of a consideration than the value of the bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.