Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old VS. New: They almost got me!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-11-22, 09:23 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts

I've been looking at the Surly Bridge Club as a potential replacement for many of the bikes in my garage in an effort to reduce quantities (N-5 or 6) and simplify. Its pretty affordable at $1500 and gets lots of good reviews online.
But comparing geometry charts between it and my 1996 Trek 930, the two are remarkably close to the same bike. Surly at the top, Trek at the bottom, comparing the 21" Trek to the LG. Surly.

I've been reading a little bit and the general consensus I'm finding is that "new, modern" geometry is so much more comfortable and somehow better than "old, vintage" geometry as it relates to mountain bikes. But the chart shows that in this instance, theyre about the same bike... Effective top tubes are within 15 mm of each other, chainstays are within 5, head and seat angles are the same, head tube length is the same, wheelbase is only 16mm difference and standover is only 1mm different!
I almost bought in to the hype... But I still kind of want a new bike ya know.
So I guess I could buy a new Surly or I could build the Trek into a "Budget Bridge Club" using a rigid fork from Bikeman.com , get a sweet swept back bar like the Ritchey Coyote and save myself $1000. Maybe sell off the redundant bikes in the garage and pay for the upgrades to the Trek?
Pros: Save some big cash, have something kind of interesting.
Cons: Still a 26" wheeled bike with cantilevers / linear pull brakes and not as many mounting options...
I like that the Trek was built in the US, I like that it was a ridiculously cheap initial purchase, and I like that I have it in my possession right now. Bird in the hand, you know... But I don't like that after all is said and done, I'd still have a bike limited to 26" wheels and cantilever/linear pull brakes...
But conversely, what major advantage would a new Bridge Club have over a well kitted older MTB?

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-11-22, 09:55 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I can not relate to N-x!
Old 08-11-22, 10:16 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
...what major advantage would a new Bridge Club have over a well kitted older MTB?

A rhetorical question, I'm sure. $1500 will get us a long weekend in Montreal, much nicer than just another new bike.
You spelled it out for us. Why bother?
Likes For clubman:
Old 08-11-22, 10:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
I've been looking at the Surly Bridge Club as a potential replacement for many of the bikes in my garage in an effort to reduce quantities (N-5 or 6) and simplify. Its pretty affordable at $1500 and gets lots of good reviews online.
But comparing geometry charts between it and my 1996 Trek 930, the two are remarkably close to the same bike. Surly at the top, Trek at the bottom, comparing the 21" Trek to the LG. Surly.

I've been reading a little bit and the general consensus I'm finding is that "new, modern" geometry is so much more comfortable and somehow better than "old, vintage" geometry as it relates to mountain bikes. But the chart shows that in this instance, theyre about the same bike... Effective top tubes are within 15 mm of each other, chainstays are within 5, head and seat angles are the same, head tube length is the same, wheelbase is only 16mm difference and standover is only 1mm different!
So I guess I could buy a new Surly or I could build the Trek into a "Budget Bridge Club" using a rigid fork from Bikeman.com , get a sweet swept back bar like the Ritchey Coyote and save myself $1000. Maybe sell off the redundant bikes in the garage and pay for the upgrades to the Trek?
Cons: Still a 26" wheeled bike with cantilevers / linear pull brakes and not as many mounting options...
I like that the Trek was built in the US, I like that it was a ridiculously cheap initial purchase, and I like that I have it in my possession right now. Bird in the hand, you know... But I don't like that after all is said and done, I'd still have a bike limited to 26" wheels and cantilever/linear pull brakes...
But conversely, what major advantage would a new Bridge Club have over a well kitted older MTB?

What are your thoughts?
I think the real issue is that you are approaching this as an attempt to see if 'the hype' is justified or not. That is a surefire way to be disappointed.
You are comparing bikes with similar geometry and that is it. Almost everything else about them, when it comes to use/setup, is different.
Dont look at this as a justification of hype, look at it simply as a different way to accomplish a goal(whatever that may be).

Many dont want to take an old frame and put a bunch of effort into modifying the build to make it similar to another bike. That isnt where their interest lies and thats cool. They arent buying into the hype when they buy a Bridge Club, they are simply buying a bike that fits what they want to do.

Your geometry is similar.
Your bike has fewer cargo mounts, has 26" wheels, has cantilever brakes, and has a suspension fork. Those things, to me, make your bike very different from the Bridge Club. Not better nor worse, just different. If changing the handlebar and fork will make it close enough to a Bridge Club for you to consider it wash, then do that and have fun. If you think you will want a bike with more bottle mounts, 3-pack gear mounts, hydraulic disc brakes, and the ability to use 700c, 27.5, or 26" wheels then get a Bridge Club.
If you buy the Surly, dont do it to see if the hype is real. You will for sure feel like you wasted money. Buy it because you want to try something different or because it fits your wants the best.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-11-22, 10:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
How are you planning to use the bike?

do you really want disc?
do you like the 1x setup
are you good with 27.5 wheels (come standard)
do you need attachment points.... commuting, bikepacking/touring, just getting groceries

if yes to most of the above go with the surly

I have to say for $1500 the surly look better specced than I would have expected.
modern, i.e 1x setup, hydralic disc and 142/100 thru axle (which would let you go to 700 wheels easily) this give a lot of flexibility

so 1500 for surly vs 1000 upgrades will get more flexiblity, but less one off special

I don't like lack of drop bars....but that is me

Old 08-11-22, 10:43 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
Except for wheel size, the two bikes are pretty close. I have a 970 (18) and did a quick and dirty reach measurement, (with a level and tape measure) around a 406mm (16"); compared to 419mm. The head and seat angles are the same. The big difference is the stem length, but I'm not sure how many people still run 120mm on older bikes, I'm 110mm and could go a bit shorter, but it fits me well enough. But 110mm gets me to within 3mm.

The one advantage the Surly has is the ability to swap out wheelsets. Their site shows that you can run a 26x3 size if you wanted to; and a 27.5. I'm running 2.1's on my 970, but I think could go wider if I wanted to. The Trek Tech Manual says 2.35 max.

I'm guessing both bikes will be pretty similar, but being able to easily make it a fat tire bike probably gives Surly a big edge.

John
Old 08-11-22, 10:58 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 396 Posts
I would not assume that the 1xXX is going to be better. I would think a test ride might show you it's weakness.
I've got one and I'm not convinced it is superior to the 2x or 3x.
Old 08-11-22, 11:16 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I prefer 3X for mountain bikes and 2 or 3X for road bikes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 08-11-22, 12:27 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I owned a 1st gen Karate Monkey for ten years, and thought it was a great bike. I rode it for years as a single speed city bike on 700x38's and it was fun, but too stiff for those tires. Too bumpy. A year before I sold it I built some real 29er wheels for it, and it was transformed. Such a great bike; those big 29er wheels made my 26er feel like a bmx bike. It was a small frame, though, so silly looking as soon as I raised the seat high enough for real riding. I'm always looking for another Surly in my size, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Get one!!
Old 08-11-22, 12:53 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
IMO, neither 1x or 2x drivetrain is superior to the other. One or the other is probably better suited for specific types of riding.. Superior would come into the level and performance of the components. I am mostly a rode rider, 95% of my miles. I do no mountain biking, and any off road is is the easy variety. I have no interest in trying a 1x drivetrain. I live in flatland, so, while a 1x drivetrain would certainly work ok, I do not want the gaps in the gearing. At my age, and the fact I am trying to unload a portion of my bike stuff, curiosity is not enough to push me into actually trying a change such as that. The cost is definitely part of that equation.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-11-22, 01:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by John E
I prefer 3X for mountain bikes and 2 or 3X for road bikes.
Do you prefer the 3x for actual MTB riding, or do you just prefer the 3x on an MTB that you use for commuting/touring/around town riding?

I dont know if I remember anyone saying to me 'I miss my 3x' when riding singletrack. With 1x the smaller ring hits ground crap less frequently and you dont have to dump the FD when you come around a turn and are met with a steep climb. I am not strong enough to need even higher gear inches than a modern 1x MTB drivetrain offers, and you can still climb like a goat due to the wide range.
Old 08-11-22, 01:48 PM
Smokinapankake

I guess for me the real question, or perhaps what I'm trying to decide, is whether or not I want to buy a new bike when I have multiple bikes already that can do what the Bridge Club claims it can do, i.e., everything. If I'm being honest with myself (which I'm usually not when it comes to bikes), I'm going to use the BC 95% of the time to commute to work, a task for which I have 3 hybrids and 2 converted 90's MTBs that are eminently capable of doing. If I continue to be honest with myself, I'm not going to get rid of my mountain bike, a custom built Curtlo Epic Mountaineer (2003) that is kitted out with XTR, Marzocchi forks, and disc brakes. If I'm going for a MTB ride, I'm taking that. Most anything else I'm riding my hybrids or converted MTB's, which can also serve admirably in a touring mode should the desire overcome me. I guess the only niche a BC can fill that none of the others are expressly designed to do is gravel riding. But if a MTB can go MTB-ing it can most certainly go gravelling. My hybrids, on the other hand, can't really do that as the tire clearance is limited. Can't really fit bigger than a 38-40c on them....
I am intrigued by the whole 27.5 wheel phenomenon, though. I've never ridden that size wheel (only 26" & 700C) so I'd like to know what the big deal is....

Probably what got me looking down this hole is just the fact that the 930's geometry is so close to the BC's. Plus, I don't really like the Rock Shox that's on it right now....
Old 08-11-22, 02:05 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you prefer the 3x for actual MTB riding, or do you just prefer the 3x on an MTB that you use for commuting/touring/around town riding?

I dont know if I remember anyone saying to me 'I miss my 3x' when riding singletrack. With 1x the smaller ring hits ground crap less frequently and you dont have to dump the FD when you come around a turn and are met with a steep climb. I am not strong enough to need even higher gear inches than a modern 1x MTB drivetrain offers, and you can still climb like a goat due to the wide range.
I do roads and multitrack, no technicals.
Old 08-11-22, 02:07 PM
John E
feros ferio

I guess for me the real question, or perhaps what I'm trying to decide, is whether or not I want to buy a new bike when I have multiple bikes already that can do what the Bridge Club claims it can do, i.e., everything. If I'm being honest with myself (which I'm usually not when it comes to bikes), I'm going to use the BC 95% of the time to commute to work, a task for which I have 3 hybrids and 2 converted 90's MTBs that are eminently capable of doing. If I continue to be honest with myself, I'm not going to get rid of my mountain bike, a custom built Curtlo Epic Mountaineer (2003) that is kitted out with XTR, Marzocchi forks, and disc brakes. If I'm going for a MTB ride, I'm taking that. Most anything else I'm riding my hybrids or converted MTB's, which can also serve admirably in a touring mode should the desire overcome me. I guess the only niche a BC can fill that none of the others are expressly designed to do is gravel riding. But if a MTB can go MTB-ing it can most certainly go gravelling. My hybrids, on the other hand, can't really do that as the tire clearance is limited. Can't really fit bigger than a 38-40c on them....
I am intrigued by the whole 27.5 wheel phenomenon, though. I've never ridden that size wheel (only 26" & 700C) so I'd like to know what the big deal is....

Probably what got me looking down this hole is just the fact that the 930's geometry is so close to the BC's. Plus, I don't really like the Rock Shox that's on it right now....
I am simply not interested in buying a new bike, because I already have N+whatever classics that suit my needs beautifully.
Old 08-11-22, 02:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I put one of those Bikeman Carver steel forks in 410mm A-C length on a 90s OXPlat Trek 9XX MTB that had the RockShox Quadra 5 elastomer suspension and do not regret it at all. Well worth the $. The switch dropped a bit of weight and the bike no longer nose dives when the front brake is used.
Plus, there are mid-blade eyelets in case you want to run some sort of front rack.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-11-22, 02:32 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
There are 2 houses - both are 3 bedroom, 2 bath and are 1700 sq ft. One was a craftsman built in 1891 and the other was built a decade ago. The older house has a lot of original charm but the newer house has better insulation and wiring. Which one is better?
Old 08-11-22, 02:59 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Save for this: https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/frames/ascent-frameset

I really liked my X-Check and buddies with Pacers and Karate Monkeys love theirs. But this^
Old 08-11-22, 03:02 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Is it possible to put 650bs on your trek? Is there a brake set where that would work?
Old 08-11-22, 03:49 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I think the Bridge Club is an excellent value for what you get. I thought about pulling the trigger on one myself, but I already have modern, disc-brake bikes to fill that need. I did run into someone at one my infrequent visits to the LBS who had his BC there for some parts switch. I admired his bike, and he expressed nothing but good things about it.

As you said, though, this purchase only makes sense if you shed a few others that would overlap, and that’s always hard to do—for me, anyway.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-11-22, 04:21 PM
Smokinapankake

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I put one of those Bikeman Carver steel forks in 410mm A-C length on a 90s OXPlat Trek 9XX MTB that had the RockShox Quadra 5 elastomer suspension and do not regret it at all. Well worth the $. The switch dropped a bit of weight and the bike no longer nose dives when the front brake is used.
Plus, there are mid-blade eyelets in case you want to run some sort of front rack.
I have one as well on my '92 Fishlips Toxic Tuna; you are correct - it is worth every bit of the $90 I paid. That's why I'm considering one for my 930.
Old 08-11-22, 04:52 PM
Smokinapankake

A few other thoughts rattling around in my head, in no particular order of importance, relevance, or significance:

I'll probably never embrace a thru axle design if I can find a way around it. My son has one on his mountain bike fork; it appears to be a solution looking for a problem. In our experience, it is a major pain to put his bike on the roof rack. You have to balance and align the fork on the adapter while pushing the axle through, then try to line up the threads so you can bolt the whole shebang together. I guess we could buy a hitch mounted rack that doesn't require you to pull the front wheel. But then I'd have to install a hitch on my car! Or a roof tray that clamps on to the down tube.... No thanks!

26" wheels aren't dead (yet, anyway). Tire selection isn't horrible (yet, anyway), but the selection at the LBS is very limited. Gone are the days of walking in and buying just exactly the tire you hoped for. Rather you have to order it online and wait a week or more. Or settle for what the LBS has in stock that will work okay.... And rim selection? Where do you buy nice rims these days?

I'm not entirely sold on disc brakes. I've experienced them on my aforementioned Curtlo (built in 2003) and have been underwhelmed by them. Granted, they are 1st generation XTR (M960), but it seems the pads wear out quickly and they require a lot more maintenance than V or cantilever brakes. They've probably gotten better in the past 19 years.

I like my 3 x 9 drivetrains. I don't often use the granny gear. Except on my Curtlo mtb, but then on that one I never use the 44t ring either. My one hybrid (700c wheels) that I also use for touring has an 11x36 9 speed cassette and a 20/32/44 crankset. That 20x36 is so slow I can barely keep my balance, but it does enable me to keep pedaling rather than walk. The front shifting on all my bikes, whether they be 3x9 or 3x8 or 3x7, is flawless. I think the only reason manufacturers went with 1x or 2x is to move the chain further from the centerline of the bike, thus enabling obscenely fat tires. Maybe I'm wrong. Getting an affordable, alloy carrier 9 speed cassette will be getting difficult in the not too distant future. My Curtlo, with its XTR hubs, requires that kind thanks to the titanium freehub body. Is there a way to future proof a bike? I tend to keep my stuff forever and am generally dragged into the next advancement kicking and screaming....

So with all of that said, I'm having a hard time seeing what major advantage a new BC (or any other new bike, for that matter) has over what I already own, for my riding purposes. Maybe parts availability?
Old 08-11-22, 09:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
A few other thoughts rattling around in my head, in no particular order of importance, relevance, or significance:

I'll probably never embrace a thru axle design if I can find a way around it. My son has one on his mountain bike fork; it appears to be a solution looking for a problem. In our experience, it is a major pain to put his bike on the roof rack. You have to balance and align the fork on the adapter while pushing the axle through, then try to line up the threads so you can bolt the whole shebang together. I guess we could buy a hitch mounted rack that doesn't require you to pull the front wheel. But then I'd have to install a hitch on my car! Or a roof tray that clamps on to the down tube.... No thanks!

26" wheels aren't dead (yet, anyway). Tire selection isn't horrible (yet, anyway), but the selection at the LBS is very limited. Gone are the days of walking in and buying just exactly the tire you hoped for. Rather you have to order it online and wait a week or more. Or settle for what the LBS has in stock that will work okay.... And rim selection? Where do you buy nice rims these days?

I'm not entirely sold on disc brakes. I've experienced them on my aforementioned Curtlo (built in 2003) and have been underwhelmed by them. Granted, they are 1st generation XTR (M960), but it seems the pads wear out quickly and they require a lot more maintenance than V or cantilever brakes. They've probably gotten better in the past 19 years.

I like my 3 x 9 drivetrains. I don't often use the granny gear. Except on my Curtlo mtb, but then on that one I never use the 44t ring either. My one hybrid (700c wheels) that I also use for touring has an 11x36 9 speed cassette and a 20/32/44 crankset. That 20x36 is so slow I can barely keep my balance, but it does enable me to keep pedaling rather than walk. The front shifting on all my bikes, whether they be 3x9 or 3x8 or 3x7, is flawless. I think the only reason manufacturers went with 1x or 2x is to move the chain further from the centerline of the bike, thus enabling obscenely fat tires. Maybe I'm wrong. Getting an affordable, alloy carrier 9 speed cassette will be getting difficult in the not too distant future. My Curtlo, with its XTR hubs, requires that kind thanks to the titanium freehub body. Is there a way to future proof a bike? I tend to keep my stuff forever and am generally dragged into the next advancement kicking and screaming....

So with all of that said, I'm having a hard time seeing what major advantage a new BC (or any other new bike, for that matter) has over what I already own, for my riding purposes. Maybe parts availability?
Buy parts likely to wear or break and that will be be hard to find and stash them...like your alloy carrier 9 speed cassette. I am doing this with ultegra r8000 for a future, really nice build

Old 08-11-22, 09:57 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
There are 2 houses - both are 3 bedroom, 2 bath and are 1700 sq ft. One was a craftsman built in 1891 and the other was built a decade ago. The older house has a lot of original charm but the newer house has better insulation and wiring. Which one is better?
What’s in the fridge?
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-12-22, 04:44 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

What are your thoughts?
The bridge club is not modern geometry
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-12-22, 08:24 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
what’s in the fridge?
🤣🤣

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.