Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 09:15 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Enve SES tires

Got these on a new road bike and so far they seem just as nice as my Continental GP5000S TR's...

https://www.enve.com/product/ses-road-tire/
Old 08-20-22, 10:13 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Excel has Vittoria Corsa Next 2-packs on sale for $105 - that's a pretty good price on a new tire. Also with noting that these are up to the new spec, including hookless. I've been waiting on these for a while - tempted to grab some even though I've got less than 100 miles on the Pirelli that I just mounted

https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...ad-tire-2-pack
I came here to see if you had an opinion on these tires, after getting the same email. I'm finally out of my tire back stock, and I haven't kept up with road tires/components for a couple years.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-20-22, 11:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I came here to see if you had an opinion on these tires, after getting the same email. I'm finally out of my tire back stock, and I haven't kept up with road tires/components for a couple years.
Yeah, these are brand spankin' new, so not much user feedback out there yet.
Old 08-22-22, 07:48 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Pirelli Cinturato 100%
Old 08-22-22, 10:27 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Yeah, these are brand spankin' new, so not much user feedback out there yet.
I’d be keen on trying but my friendly LBS owner just brought in a bunch of 28mm New Conti 5000s TR tires and he always treats me well price wise and is always there for me. I think I’m going to rotate the new Specialized S works tires that I got a couple months ago into my Vintage bike which is also set up with (modern) alloy tubeless wheels and check out the new Contis. Other than how crazy they were To install I really liked the previous version.
Old 08-23-22, 07:30 PM
3rdcoast

Bikes: 2019 Giant Propel, 2017 Giant Revolt, 2015 Cervelo P3, 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2008 Giant OCR c3,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pirelli P Zero 30mm on Zip Firecrest wheels. 210lbs and ride @ 73 psi, 3200 miles in 2022 and no flats.
Likes For 3rdcoast:
Old 08-23-22, 10:22 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Looking forward to hearing some reviews/first hand accounts of those SES road tyres. I've never heard of them before.

My previous experience with Pirelli tubeless tyres has not been the greatest, so I am kind of gun shy about giving Pirelli tyres another go. I have a couple Veloflex tyres in my inventory. Once I work my way through those, I will be looking for another set of tyres to try.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-24-22, 06:05 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
$95 shipped. Never had bad luck with Rubino Pro tires, so here's to hoping these are okay.

https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...BoCU-kQAvD_BwE
Old 08-24-22, 10:42 AM
Caliwild

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Looking forward to hearing some reviews/first hand accounts of those SES road tyres. I've never heard of them before.

My previous experience with Pirelli tubeless tyres has not been the greatest, so I am kind of gun shy about giving Pirelli tyres another go. I have a couple Veloflex tyres in my inventory. Once I work my way through those, I will be looking for another set of tyres to try.
Been riding on these for a couple weeks (the 29's which measure out to 31c on my rims). I actually like them a lot. They feel VERY similar to the Continental GP5000 TR's. They're holding air great, feel very comfortable at low pressures and roll very well. So far, so good...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 09-01-22, 04:49 PM
robbyville

Well, I guess I’m trying something new. As mentioned before my LBS guy always treats me well so I picked up a pair of the new 5000S TR’s in a 25mm (even though I keep promising myself that “next time” I’ll try 28’s). Got them for $70ea including tax which seemed good.

I’ll be curious to see if I can feel any difference from the previous 5000TL’s

The fairly still new Specialized S Works Turbo’s will be rotated to my vintage De Rosa (set up tubeless) for those monthly rides
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-02-22, 09:45 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by robbyville
Well, I guess I’m trying something new. As mentioned before my LBS guy always treats me well so I picked up a pair of the new 5000S TR’s in a 25mm (even though I keep promising myself that “next time” I’ll try 28’s). Got them for $70ea including tax which seemed good.

I’ll be curious to see if I can feel any difference from the previous 5000TL’s

The fairly still new Specialized S Works Turbo’s will be rotated to my vintage De Rosa (set up tubeless) for those monthly rides
I’ll add to this, although they say that the new variation of 5000’s is easier to install vs previous, I’m goin to give that a definite Nuh-uh, at least on my Light Bicycle rims. Just as difficult to install as the originals! And I totally messed myself over when I inadvertently linstalled one in the wrong direction, and had to remove it. Gosh help me if I have to do a roadside repair! Of course that rarely happens and it’ll be stretched out by the time it does.
Old 09-03-22, 10:18 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Also have a set of Light Bicycle 45mm rims and the new GP5000 S were easier to install than the old GP5000 TLR which were a real pain on those rims.

On a pair of Mavic SLR45 wheels it was no problem to install them.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 09-03-22, 11:18 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Branko D
Also have a set of Light Bicycle 45mm rims and the new GP5000 S were easier to install than the old GP5000 TLR which were a real pain on those rims.

On a pair of Mavic SLR45 wheels it was no problem to install them.
​​​​​
​​​​​​
i have the same rims, but woof I’d have a hard time saying these were any easier to install than the earlier ones, but I have heard that to be the case. I do really like the ride quality though!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-08-22, 06:40 AM
WhyFi

Excel has twin packs of 25mm (only!) GP5KS TR for $120. https://www.excelsports.com/continen...ss-tire-2-pack
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-08-22, 07:49 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Excel has twin packs of 25mm (only!) GP5KS TR for $120. https://www.excelsports.com/continen...ss-tire-2-pack
Thanks for the link. It's been a long time, probably close to 10 years since I had a set of Continental tires on any build. The coffee option is going to look great with the new build coming up.
Likes For primov8:
Old 09-09-22, 04:45 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by primov8
Thanks for the link. It's been a long time, probably close to 10 years since I had a set of Continental tires on any build. The coffee option is going to look great with the new build coming up.
despite my love/hate relationship with these tires they really do ride beautifully!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-09-22, 07:49 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
despite my love/hate relationship with these tires they really do ride beautifully!
I'm looking forward to it as these tires will be mounted on a set of handbuilt Kinlin XR 31s when they arrive in a couple weeks.
Old 09-12-22, 10:29 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I’ll add to this, although they say that the new variation of 5000’s is easier to install vs previous, I’m goin to give that a definite Nuh-uh, at least on my Light Bicycle rims. Just as difficult to install as the originals! And I totally messed myself over when I inadvertently linstalled one in the wrong direction, and had to remove it. Gosh help me if I have to do a roadside repair! Of course that rarely happens and it’ll be stretched out by the time it does.
I can't speak for the older version, but the latest 5000S TR are very easy to fit and inflate on my DT Swiss ERC 1400 rims. After running a pair this season (30mm version) they are now my favourite tyres. They held up very well on our rough UK roads and no flats. Grip/handling is pretty solid too and I'm sure they roll fast enough!
Old 09-22-22, 08:18 PM
shmuelyosef

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thoughts about the variability in getting tubeless to seal?

I have found great differences in the time it takes for sidewalls to seal tubeless...
- WTB Riddler 37s were terrible...they oozed for weeks before I finally gave up and sold them to a friend that prefers tubes (it's too bad, because they had a great road feel).
- Panaracer 35s took a couple of days to stop oozing, but they have been pretty good over the long haul. Had a ~1cm cut in one and managed to ride 5 more miles home, but had sealant on the backs of my legs and all over the back half of the bike.
- A pair of Continental Terra Speed 35 tires just never sealed completely. They would lose 2-3 PSI in a couple hours of riding and 10 PSI overnite. Didn't give me a lot of confidence.
- I just mounted a pair of Specialized Roubaix on a new set of HUNT wheels, and oddly one of the tires sealed up right away and the other is finally sealing after three days of sidewall oozing/frothing.

self-explanatory...the sealing process was done in parallel!
Old 09-25-22, 06:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
rather than start a new thread, figured i'd ask here! what kind of lifespan are people getting from their GP 5000S TR? i feel like they're lasting less long than the previous GP5000 TL, but my sample size is small. this rear (30mm) has a hair under 1,500 miles:

all of my rear tires seem to get this distinctive squared off (hexagonal, really?) profile. is this typical, or perhaps due to most of the wear happening while going in a straight-ish line? braking hard before a corner, climbing seated? all my riding is on roads, the usual mix of super beautiful new paving and rough-ish rural and urban roads. weight of bike and rider and accessories is 200lb. i run between 60 and 70psi.
Old 09-26-22, 06:49 AM
WhyFi

Squaring off of the rear tire is normal. If that were my tire, I'd estimate that I'd get... oh, maybe another 1k out of it, based on the wear dimples.

What kind of mileage were you getting out of the TL? I'm at about the same bike + rider weight and feel like I'm doing pretty well to get 3k miles out of a rear tire, but I haven't used any Conti tires for a while.
Old 09-26-22, 08:42 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Squaring off of the rear tire is normal. If that were my tire, I'd estimate that I'd get... oh, maybe another 1k out of it, based on the wear dimples.

What kind of mileage were you getting out of the TL? I'm at about the same bike + rider weight and feel like I'm doing pretty well to get 3k miles out of a rear tire, but I haven't used any Conti tires for a while.
rear TL was looking like around 3,500-4,000 miles, but had to be replaced for unrelated reasons before it was totally toast.

if i get another 1,000 out of this one, i’ll be happy. it looked further gone than that to me! thanks!
Old 09-26-22, 09:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mschwett
if i get another 1,000 out of this one, i’ll be happy. it looked further gone than that to me! thanks!
In fairness, I tend to run mine until cords show, so YMMV.
Old 09-26-22, 02:08 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Just another data point on the Conti S TR's - I have around 1500 miles on a pair in size 28mm. They look to have similar wear as the photos posted above. They're currently off the wheels and now can't tell a difference between front and rear, so no noticeable squaring off. Mine have a few small cuts in them, but I've never had any flats (that I'm aware of or see signs of). I assume I'll get at least another 500+ miles on these but might replace sooner if I start getting flats or find a good deal on something new. Overall I've been happy with these tires - they ride nice, have good grip and are super easy to mount.

For comparison I also have a set of 32mm Conti TL's that have been sitting in a bin for the last year or so. Those tires have around 2000-2500 miles on them and look to be in similar condition as the S TR's in terms of wear. I would conclude that the S TR's are wearing a bit faster, but still within what I would expect to get out of a tire like this. For the record - I loathe the TL's. They ride great, but are by far the most difficult tubeless tires I've used. I only kept them so that I could burn them up on the trainer this winter.
Old 10-03-22, 09:10 AM
WhyFi

PSA: Excel has two-packs of the new Vittoria N.EXT TLRs on sale for $108.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.