Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 12:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Falling on clipless pedals is a rite of passage, and it's just a matter of training your habits. Eventually, unclipping when you stop will become second nature. But if you're not interested in getting that far, that's your choice.

I also gotta admit, I do use road shoes because that's what the pros use. Every time I waddle into a cafe I laugh at myself for how much easier walking would be if I just used mountain bike shoes/pedals, not noooooo, that's not elite enough for me.
Old 09-12-22, 12:48 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Can't believe this tread is still going...
Well, let's keep it going.

There's evidence out that too stiff of cycling shoe soles might cause plantar fasciitis even if they don't look like pro shoes. What say ye?
Old 09-12-22, 12:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Can't believe this tread is still going...
Seriously? What, are you new to Bike Forums?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-12-22, 12:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
So. Beginner opinions are worthless. When starting a new sport, the thing to do is to ape your betters. They're doing it right.
We live in odd times. There is a small but very loud group of people who believe that credentials, experience, and expertise are irrelevant -- or that they actually make a person's recommendations even more dubious, as they may have been brainwashed or are part of a conspiracy. Not surprisingly, these loud people typically have little education and expertise, and hence have no idea what they are talking about and no idea how the experts became experts. (Hint: it involves a bit more than a few hours on facebook.)

VegasJen is a petty little example: a noob who fell down a few times and then concluded that pretty much every professional cyclist ever, and the vast majority of serious recreational cyclists and amateur racers, are all fools for using clipless pedals. No one gives a **** whether some wanna-be triathlete in Backwoods, NV, clips in. But the attitude is a huge social problem.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Falling on clipless pedals is a rite of passage, and it's just a matter of training your habits. Eventually, unclipping when you stop will become second nature. But if you're not interested in getting that far, that's your choice.

I also gotta admit, I do use road shoes because that's what the pros use. Every time I waddle into a cafe I laugh at myself for how much easier walking would be if I just used mountain bike shoes/pedals, not noooooo, that's not elite enough for me.
I hardly ride my road bikes anymore...But when my road shoes finally wear out (almost there), I'm gonna just put some SPDs on the road bikes. Sooo much more convenient, and I find SPDs to be as comfy and secure as SPD-SLs.
Old 09-12-22, 01:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
We live in odd times. There is a small but very loud group of people who believe that credentials, experience, and expertise are irrelevant -- or that they actually make a person's recommendations even more dubious, as they may have been brainwashed or are part of a conspiracy. Not surprisingly, these loud people typically have little education and expertise, and hence have no idea what they are talking about and no idea how the experts became experts. (Hint: it involves a bit more than a few hours on facebook.)

VegasJen is a petty little example: a noob who fell down a few times and then concluded that pretty much every professional cyclist ever, and the vast majority of serious recreational cyclists and amateur racers, are all fools for using clipless pedals. No one gives a **** whether some wanna-be triathlete in Backwoods, NV, clips in. But the attitude is a huge social problem.

I hardly ride my road bikes anymore...But when my road shoes finally wear out (almost there), I'm gonna just put some SPDs on the road bikes. Sooo much more convenient, and I find SPDs to be as comfy and secure as SPD-SLs.
i know you're not bashing nevada but...hey, c'mon, we are a great state.

Likes For spelger:
Old 09-12-22, 01:40 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Every time I start a new sport, activity, job I also tell people who've been doing it for much longer than I have to stuff their insight, experience, and knowledge up their ass and let them know exactly how they should really be doing the thing. I also ignore what the vast majority of people do (hint: MOST cyclists don't ride clipless) in said activity so I can troll the minority with my brilliance.

Bonus points if you can later claim victimhood too.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 09-12-22, 01:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Well, let's keep it going.

There's evidence out that too stiff of cycling shoe soles might cause plantar fasciitis even if they don't look like pro shoes. What say ye?
I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than this, involving the shape of the shoe and the rider's pedaling and walking mechanics as well as their other activities and weight.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-12-22, 01:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I wear road shoes. I have plantar fasciitis. Case closed. Never mind the fact that I developed it while off the bike and gaining weight, and it has lightened up since getting back on the bike and losing weight.
Old 09-12-22, 01:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than this, involving the shape of the shoe and the rider's pedaling and walking mechanics as well as their other activities and weight.
All joking aside, a podiatrist has told me that I have a short achilles tendon, which makes me walk more forward on my feet, which causes the plantar fasciitis. Daily stretching of the tendon helps, along with orthotics. I have never felt pain after cycling, even after 10 hours of riding, but a day walking around Disneyland has been murder just halfway through, and I simply don't run anymore.
Old 09-12-22, 02:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

All joking aside, a podiatrist has told me that I have a short achilles tendon, which makes me walk more forward on my feet, which causes the plantar fasciitis. Daily stretching of the tendon helps, along with orthotics. I have never felt pain after cycling, even after 10 hours of riding, but a day walking around Disneyland has been murder just halfway through, and I simply don't run anymore.
I have worked with a podiatrist for three years for a similar injury from a car accident. I know there's an awful lot going on, including how much strain a person's feet are under to begin with. And it's less about the shoes than it is about how appropriate the shoes are for the person.
Old 09-12-22, 02:05 PM
seypat

Red Panda uses flat pedals when she rides her unicycle. That should tell you how dangerous clipless is.
Old 09-12-22, 02:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have worked with a podiatrist for three years for a similar injury from a car accident. I know there's an awful lot going on, including how much strain a person's feet are under to begin with. And it's less about the shoes than it is about how appropriate the shoes are for the person.
Did the injury lead to a problematic walking style, or was the injury directly to your plantar fascia?
Old 09-12-22, 02:34 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
a day walking around Disneyland has been murder just halfway through
Oh, it's always been that way.

And that "It's A Small World After All" ride? Don't get me started...
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-12-22, 02:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts

Old 09-12-22, 02:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
We live in odd times. There is a small but very loud group of people who believe that credentials, experience, and expertise are irrelevant -- or that they actually make a person's recommendations even more dubious, as they may have been brainwashed or are part of a conspiracy. Not surprisingly, these loud people typically have little education and expertise, and hence have no idea what they are talking about and no idea how the experts became experts. (Hint: it involves a bit more than a few hours on facebook.) ...... the attitude is a huge social problem. .
I take heart in hoping that as these folks get older they will use their universal expertise to guide their health care decisions and ..... self-solving problem.

Darwin those puppies .... or rather, let them Darwin themselves.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-12-22 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-12-22, 02:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I take heart in hoping that as these folks get older they will use their universal expertise to guide their health care decisions and ..... self-solving problem.

Generally, by that point they've already made any lasting contributions to the gene pool, so Darwin isn't involved anymore.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-12-22, 02:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i know you're not bashing nevada but...hey, c'mon, we are a great state.

If I had wanted to bash the entire state, I would've written "backwoods Nevada" instead of "Backwoods, Nevada."
Old 09-12-22, 02:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by genejockey
Generally, by that point they've already made any lasting contributions to the gene pool, so Darwin isn't involved anymore.
We are not doing the "Nature vs. Nurture" debate .... not until we solve chain wax and pedal for the whole world.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-12-22, 02:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Did the injury lead to a problematic walking style, or was the injury directly to your plantar fascia?
​​​​​​For me it was the peroneus brevis tendons (both feet). I have always supinated, walking, running, standing, and even on the bike. Meaning I bear my weight on the outside edges of my feet, and this is exactly where the injured tendons run, which was preventing them from healing. We found running shoes that put weight on my arches and heels, and have lots of cushioning, and this was more effective than the morphine they gave me at the hospital in terms of pain. I can walk long distances and ride again. Still have some aches and soreness, and I only wear two kinds of shoes ever.
Old 09-12-22, 03:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Red Panda uses flat pedals when she rides her unicycle. That should tell you how dangerous clipless is.
Old 09-12-22, 03:08 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I hate to be the one to say it, but I think it might be time that this thread gets closed. I'm not sure the original premise was positioned in a way that allowed for good discourse, and while the responses started out reasonable, it didn't take long for them to evolve into teasing and personal attacks, which are generally only good for getting people to shut down. I don't think the OP is trying to troll everyone, but I'd appreciate if the conversation shifted towards a more positive tone.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 09-12-22, 03:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

We are not doing the "Nature vs. Nurture" debate .... not until we solve chain wax and pedal for the whole world.
Not debating. Merely observing that once you've had your last child, Darwin and Evolution are largely done with you.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-12-22, 03:19 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by aliasfox
I hate to be the one to say it, but I think it might be time that this thread gets closed. I'm not sure the original premise was positioned in a way that allowed for good discourse, and while the responses started out reasonable, it didn't take long for them to evolve into teasing and personal attacks, which are generally only good for getting people to shut down. I don't think the OP is trying to troll everyone, but I'd appreciate if the conversation shifted towards a more positive tone.
The OP wanted to meet one of the Fantastic 4. She even stated as much in her title. She gets her wish.
Old 09-12-22, 03:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

It'll be time to wax my skis soon. 😁 👍

Think snow. 🌨️ ❄️
Old 09-12-22, 04:28 PM
jackyharuhiko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Nobody must use clipless pedals. But to me it let me use a lower gear with higher cadence without the risk of slipping, thus acceleration is faster. Of course a pedal can’t change my power output.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.