Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat transition handlebar causing me personal existential crisis

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-16-22, 12:17 AM
zastolj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Hi all,

I recently installed a Zipp Service Course 70 ergo handlebars to my bike because for years Iīve wanted to have that nice flat transition from the bar to the hoods cause I thought they looked cool. Now I got what I wanted as itīs completely flat. But after riding it for a couple of months, Iīve actually started to hate it and Iīm already looking at other bars. I feel like I have to bend my wrists too much and I canīt get a safe grip on the hoods. Itīs just too flat. I canīt twist the levers up because then I canīt reach the brake levers from the drops. I have the newest Sora rim brake levers.

Iīve been road cycling for almost 20 years now. I think the flat transition thing was a fashion thing around 10 years ago. Iīve always admired the look, but now that Iīve finally tried it properly, it makes no sense to me anymore. (Of course I acknowledge this all depends on your personal position on the bike and I guess maybe thereīs a fine line between flat and too flat)

Does anyone else agree? What bars would you recommend? I think I want reasonably priced alloy bars that are short reach, shallow and lightweight, with a small curve to the brake levers.
Old 09-16-22, 01:31 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
When you say you have to bend your wrist too much, which way?

Your handlebar has a 70 mm reach, which is a relatively short distance: Service Course 70 Ergo Handlebar | HB-DBSC-7E-B2 | Zipp (sram.com)

What you should try first is to (a) rotate the handlebar (within the stem) so that the ends (i.e., where you insert the plugs) are closer to the saddle, and (b) mount the STI levers further up on the curve. This will shorten the effective reach of the handlebar.

With reference to the portions of the handlebar described in Drop bar hand positions | BikeGremlin, there is no requirement for the ramps to be either parallel to the ground or lie perfectly flat with the rear of the hoods.

Moreover, you may be able to slightly adjust the reach of your Sora STI levers: REACH ADJUST | SHIMANO BIKE COMPONENT
Old 09-16-22, 02:03 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Could we get a good side view of your stem/bar/shifters combination? That will help us a lot.
Old 09-16-22, 02:08 AM
zastolj

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
When you say you have to bend your wrist too much, which way?

Your handlebar has a 70 mm reach, which is a relatively short distance: Service Course 70 Ergo Handlebar | HB-DBSC-7E-B2 | Zipp (sram.com)

What you should try first is to (a) rotate the handlebar (within the stem) so that the ends (i.e., where you insert the plugs) are closer to the saddle, and (b) mount the STI levers further up on the curve. This will shorten the effective reach of the handlebar.

With reference to the portions of the handlebar described in Drop bar hand positions | BikeGremlin, there is no requirement for the ramps to be either parallel to the ground or lie perfectly flat with the rear of the hoods.

Moreover, you may be able to slightly adjust the reach of your Sora STI levers: REACH ADJUST | SHIMANO BIKE COMPONENT
Good point. I am kind of bending my wrists downwards, as if the levers are too low. But I can not move them upwards because then I can not reach the levers from the drops at all. I feel like the design of the handlebar is not letting me put the levers at an angle I am comfortable with. Ends of the drops are now pointing at just about my rear brake. But like you said, I could try to adjust the drops more horizontal and then move the levers upwards.
Old 09-16-22, 02:20 AM
zastolj

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Could we get a good side view of your stem/bar/shifters combination? That will help us a lot.
Sorry, should have done that in the first place, here you go!

Old 09-16-22, 05:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
These kind of things, for me, take some trial and error to get just right for the position I want. A couple of suggestions: move the brifters to a higher position on the curve, rotate the handlebar, slightly, so the flat area is a bit higher, shorten stem, maybe flip stem to a rise instead of drop. Do changes one at a time, in small increments. Little changes can make a large difference in comfort. I find having the flat, leading to the brifters, works better with a very slight rise to give my wrists a more neutral position.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-16-22, 05:50 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 725 Posts
Bike looks great BTW.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 09-16-22, 06:37 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd say your saddle is too far forward, creating too much weight on your hands.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 09-16-22, 07:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
No clue, because although we can see the bars, we cannot see the rider on the bike. Play with it is all i can suggest .... roll the bars upward and move the STIs back a little.
Or ......

and this is a good one ....

Shorten the stem.
Old 09-16-22, 09:34 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
How can you say that without seeing the OP on the bike? You're just guessing, nothing more.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-16-22, 10:31 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by zastolj

Handlebar angle from the side does not look too bad in this photo, but you can try to rotating it to have the ends parallel to the top tube.

I see so many drop handlebars setup with the ramps aligned with the stem angle, such that the ends point more or less at the rear axle.
Old 09-16-22, 12:13 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I have kind of the same problem.. I will start with shorting the stem and see if it helps
Old 09-16-22, 11:04 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts

I mean... it looks 'in the ballpark'... that's the way the modern stuff is designed... shorter actual bar reach (hence the 70 ...) with the reach extending across the shifter body to the lever/stops.
There is a bit of leeway to the shifter placement, but as you rotate the shifter up and back, the actual lever distance from the drop/hooks becomes greater, so more difficult to reach with shorter hands/fingers... I believe there are levers which can be adjusted for reach ??? Not sure make/model...
If unworkable, then there's always shortening the stem... certainly a better option than moving the saddle...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-17-22, 08:20 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Bike looks great BTW.

I don’t know about that. The valve stems are not a 6 o’clock. 2 point demerit. I give it a “nice”.

The name of the bars has ‘ergo’ but they don’t sound no ergo to me if you have to bend your wrists funny.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-17-22, 09:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
The first question I'd ask would be about reach - when you sit on the saddle, do your hands naturally fall to the hoods, or the ramps behind them? Do you feel like you have to reach out for the hoods, rather than that being the most natural place for your hands?

I have the same bar on my Bianchi, and what I find is the flat transition puts my wrists in a nice, neutral position, so I'm curious how you're bending your wrists. That, and when I'm on the hoods the neutral wrist allows my fingers to wrap around the hoods in a way that feels nice and secure, with one or two fingers on the brake lever.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-17-22, 11:12 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I have big hands. I bought a bike with these handlebars. There was no way that I could EVER reach the brake levers with my hands in the drops. They immediately went into the garbage.

Old 09-17-22, 12:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
I use FSA Omega Compact bars, like 'em.
Old 09-18-22, 03:29 AM
zastolj

Originally Posted by genejockey
The first question I'd ask would be about reach - when you sit on the saddle, do your hands naturally fall to the hoods, or the ramps behind them? Do you feel like you have to reach out for the hoods, rather than that being the most natural place for your hands?

I have the same bar on my Bianchi, and what I find is the flat transition puts my wrists in a nice, neutral position, so I'm curious how you're bending your wrists. That, and when I'm on the hoods the neutral wrist allows my fingers to wrap around the hoods in a way that feels nice and secure, with one or two fingers on the brake lever.
Yeah, I see what you mean. My position on this bike is definitely long and I often find myself on the tops or the ramps. This old frame is really long too even though itīs nominally a small size.
Old 09-18-22, 03:33 AM
zastolj

Originally Posted by rsbob
I don’t know about that. The valve stems are not a 6 o’clock. 2 point demerit. I give it a “nice”.

The name of the bars has ‘ergo’ but they don’t sound no ergo to me if you have to bend your wrists funny.
Oh, dang I forgot about the valve stems.
Old 09-18-22, 04:11 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Yeah, I see what you mean. My position on this bike is definitely long and I often find myself on the tops or the ramps. This old frame is really long too even though itīs nominally a small size.
Consider moving the saddle backwards and mounting a shorter stem. Saddle position should give you stability and balance, it should never compensate a large frame.
Old 09-18-22, 09:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
I'd test whether your saddle is too far forward by seeing whether you can lift both hands off the hoods just a little without falling forward. Your saddle needs to be in the right place, or nothing else will work. If that's okay, then I'd try a shorter stem. 10mm can make a huge difference, but you could also go 20mm. You shouldn't feel like you have to reach out to the hoods.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-20-22, 08:35 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Is he wearing the cloaking device?
Likes For wheelreason: