Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My fiancee got hit by a car. Now I'm trying to replace her Reynolds Crescent frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My fiancee got hit by a car. Now I'm trying to replace her Reynolds Crescent frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 01:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by nswartsell
Why yes, yes it would. Thank you. Never heard of OfferUp.The listing is a lil old but I've reached out. Thank you so much!
It usually is easiest if the person wanting the bike makes the deal. But, if the seller is unwilling to ship, perhaps @RustyJames would pack it in a box and send it on its way.

Otherwise there is a long thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ling-able.html

Everybody that has ever posted to the thread gets an e-mail whenever it gets a new reply, and hopefully someone would be willing to help.

There are quite a few members from the Portland area.

You have 5 more posts until the newbie restrictions are lifted.

Make sure the bike fits your fiancee before going to the trouble to get a new one. Your fiancee may well have grown since she was 13, or her cycling needs may have changed over the years.

I still have the bike that I got when I was 16. But, I now realize that the bike was probably always slightly big for me. I still like the bike and would be devastated if it was destroyed and just vanished. But, I'd also change things up a little bit when replacing it.

Now would be the time to change size, brands, colors, components, etc.
Old 09-16-22, 07:30 AM
nswartsell

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
As a rider whose handmade Plantenga was run over by a hit and run type of accident. I have a Masi in 54cm that I bought two years ago. It had some damage to the finish on the fork which was sent to a specialty chrome shop in Indiana for re-chrome and is ready for a build. The frame is blue and is in good shape. The model is Nuevo Strada. I have decided not to keep it and had considered putting it up for sale here in the forum. If she might be interested or if you might want to get it for her as a placeholder until the correct frame can be found. I have well over $600 invested but would give you some deep discounts to get her back on a bike. If you are interested gimme a call @ 812-336-3283 I am in southern Indiana. Smiles, Mad Honk
Ugh. So sorry to hear about your experience with hit and run. So terrifying. Thanks so much for your reply here and generous offer... I texted you! Seems like we're not that far from where you are and when I mentioned Masi to my fiancee her eyes lit up. Still scouring the internet for that Crescent frame but it seems like she might be into opening a new chapter on a different bike.
Old 09-16-22, 07:32 AM
nswartsell

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Wow. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm chasing down several leads now. She might end up on another Crescent, or something else really nice. Still open to any potential matches. We'll see what materializes! You all are so sweet.
Old 09-16-22, 07:40 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Ugh. So sorry to hear about your experience with hit and run. So terrifying. Thanks so much for your reply here and generous offer... I texted you! Seems like we're not that far from where you are and when I mentioned Masi to my fiancee her eyes lit up. Still scouring the internet for that Crescent frame but it seems like she might be into opening a new chapter on a different bike.
Her eyes lit up when she heard about the Masi? Since you're not far away . . . take her to see the Masi. Right away.

And take enough cash with you to make sure you can leave with it if it fits her.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-16-22, 11:07 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
nswartsell,
Unfortunately my phone is a land line and I don't get texts, they wind up living in the cloud . I am a golf professional and I am travelling with the DePauw women's team for tournament this weekend. I won't be back until late Sunday night but we could converse perhaps Monday sometime. I never unpacked the frame when it got here, as evidenced in the photos below. I measured the frame and it is 54cm center to center, and 55cm center of bottom bracket to the top of the top tube. 700c wheels so stand over height will be bit less than a 27" wheel. Here are some pics of the frame and fork so you might want to check to be sure she likes blue. There are a few errant stickers on the top tube but they should peel off OK. Smiles, MH

Tubing sticker notes 653 likely for the main tubes

crappy picture, but yellow decals over blue with Made in Italy decal

Not the usual M cut-out but stamped instead. The 56 is a bit of a mystery unless they measured from the bottom of the shell to the top tube.

another crappy picture of the still in original shipping bits. I never opened it up but there is a reveal when it comes out of it's wrappers

The fork as it came back from the Shelbyville Chrome shop. It will need a bit of yellow paint fill for the panto on the crown.
Old 09-16-22, 11:15 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Wow. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm chasing down several leads now. She might end up on another Crescent, or something else really nice. Still open to any potential matches. We'll see what materializes! You all are so sweet.
As a framebuilder, I'm going to encourage you to double check what size frame she really needs. I'm strongly suspicious a 54cm frame will be a bit small for her - especially if it is a Masi. Faliero measured his frames from the center of BB to the very top of the seat lug. He did not measure them to the center of the seat lug like many European builders did/do. The Masi I got in Italy in 1972 is marked 58. On my framebuilding fixture it measures around a 56 c - c. The importance of frame size is related to how high her handlebars can be raised. If they are not high enough, that can cause various uncomfortable problems - especially for women.

Once your/her options have opened up beyond a 54 Crescent, there is a chance to get something that fits her better but also not fit her as well. You probably don't want to provide personal statistics on a forum but if you PM me I can provide measuring guides. I've done hundreds of fits for women and have a pretty good idea what works and doesn't work.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-16-22, 05:22 PM
CliffordK

@nswartsell,

Have you thought about what you're wanting to do?

Complete bike, ready to ride?
Build up a bare frame (restored frame?)
Perhaps an older frame with a little "Patina".
Basket Case needing a complete painting and restoration, then build up from scratch?
Old 09-16-22, 06:13 PM
CliffordK

I do have a Colnago Superissimo (mid 80's) that I've been sitting on for a while waiting for the right project. It is a complete bike, but with a rather odd assortment of parts (probably best to start from scratch with a bare frame). It does need some restoration work, and probably a full repaint. So, starting with blue, but it could end up with any color you wished. Orange, Pink, Purple, etc.

Seattube 20.5" (52 cm) center to top
Toptube 21" (53 or 53.5 cm) center to center

Chrome headtube lugs and crown with a little rust.

Unfortunately based on the discussion above, I fear that one is a little small for your needs.

I might be able to browse around and find something else that would be interesting, but we need to confirm the preferred size.

You know, a bike shop should be able to help confirm the ideal size. Or try a "bike fitter".
Old 09-18-22, 08:35 PM
Mad Honk 

nswartsell,
I have returned after my week end with a ladies golf team. I have commitments for the next two days but should have a bit of time for an incoming call. A few more posts would be helpful, especially a few pics of what is left of the old bike after the miss-hap. That way you can post pics and be a bit more specific. I will try to get some better picture of the Masi for her in the next few days. If you think you might be interested, it might be worth a drive to Bloomington for you two. Smiles, MH
Old 09-19-22, 08:48 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
nswartsell,
A few more posts would be helpful, especially a few pics of what is left of the old bike after the miss-hap.
From post #1: It ended up under the car as it sped away. We have not been able to locate it.

But perhaps by now it has surfaced. We can hope.
Old 09-19-22, 10:32 AM
CliffordK

Usually there would be a lot of parts that could get reused after an accident. But, this bike may never be seen again. If it ended up in the back of a pickup, it could be reasonably intact. If it was drug under a car for a few miles, there might not be much left of it.
Old 09-19-22, 10:43 AM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Usually there would be a lot of parts that could get reused after an accident. But, this bike may never be seen again. If it ended up in the back of a pickup, it could be reasonably intact. If it was drug under a car for a few miles, there might not be much left of it.
I was thinking the same. OP didn't say much about the location where this occurred and whether there might be witnesses. If the bike wasn't found, it could be the perp pulled over and retrieved it to get rid of evidence, which would be another thing that could have been witnessed. It would be worth reaching out through social media (if you do that sort of thing) to find out if anyone saw anything. The person who did this should be prosecuted, absolutely.
Old 09-19-22, 03:29 PM
CliffordK

Hopefully police reports have been filed, and are taken seriously, even if injuries are minor.

If it was near any city center, there will be traffic cams somewhere that might pick up the vehicle.
Old 09-19-22, 04:51 PM
Mad Honk 

well folks, I lost a bit of typing , so I'll start again Cliff and due, I didn't read the first post closely so you guys get to slap me around (smiles). nswartsell, here are a few pics for her to see if she might be interested. If so gimme a call, MH

Type of frame

Bike frame with fork attached

This scratch was hiding under a sticker about one inch long, and could be touched up easily.

This scratch is about 3/4" and is also on the top tube again I would touch it up.

This looks like a chain went into the stay behind a chainring. About 3/4' total and could also be touch up material.

And this one is about 1/2 Inch and is on the drive side seat stay, other wise all is ok and would be a great start for her new bike.
I have plenty of resources here for her to perhaps choose from if she wants this frame and fork. If interesting for her; a drive to Bloomington, might be in order. It would be a day trip for ya from lower Ohio. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-19-22, 06:14 PM
due ruote 

I sort of hesitate to post these reservations, because it's obvious MH is trying to give the OP a deal on an awesome frame. But I am wondering about how the fiance will use the bike. OP said she rides it daily, and the one pic shown of her old bike looked like it was wearing 28mm tires at least. If what she wants is an amazing race bike with skinny tires, the Masi would be great (I am assuming the clearances are fairly tight), but if it's going to be more of an all-purpose rider, including as a commuter or for errands, I would think hard about that frame, or anything similar. For one thing, it's quite a nice frame to be locking up anywhere, and for an all-rounder, I would want something that would take 28mm tires with fenders, at a minimum. (The Masi also lacks fender eyelets.) Apologies if I am off-base, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Otoh, maybe get the Masi anyway and get another bike if she needs a commuter.
Old 09-20-22, 05:02 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
I have to agree. Eyelets, rack mounts and 32mm tires are the minimum for anything I’d consider a commuter.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 09-20-22, 05:57 PM
Mad Honk 

Well, guys I have a frame here that supports all of those issues. But the pics indicate she did not have eyelets on the original bike. However since there is radio silence about this search I am going to step aside unless contacted by the OP. Most of the C&V crowd know of my proclivity to help other members out. If this doesn't work for the OP my feelings won't be hurt. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 09-20-22, 06:24 PM
CliffordK

I've commuted quite a bit with a backpack.

The old Colnago Super has a rack connected with now vintage Blackburn adapters for Campagnolo style dropouts, and P-Clips for the seat stays.

The rack never was completely level (not much adjustment with the now vintage Blackburn rack).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175068668668

I think they're out of production, but they show up for sale regularly.

The frame is a little flexy for heavy packing, but for light use it isn't bad. Short chainstays and big feet are an issue for heels hitting the panniers.
Old 09-20-22, 07:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Well, guys I have a frame here that supports all of those issues. But the pics indicate she did not have eyelets on the original bike. However since there is radio silence about this search I am going to step aside unless contacted by the OP. Most of the C&V crowd know of my proclivity to help other members out. If this doesn't work for the OP my feelings won't be hurt. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
I'm so glad that's not a 60cm, Dave.

These Nuova Stradas absolutely have "it" going for them. Probably has something to do with the US paint jobs (IIRC). They may not be a "real Masi" in purist's eyes, but they're really gorgeous framesets that are as nice to ride as they are to look at.

-Kurt

Old 09-22-22, 06:04 PM
d2702

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Just happened upon this as I was poking around Facebook Marketplace. Not lugged so not the level you're hunting for but a good sign that they're out there.

Click through to the fourth picture for the surprise!
Likes For d2702:
Old 09-22-22, 06:11 PM
d2702

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

This one however... lugs for days. On MP for 9 weeks, I bet you could strike a deal.
Likes For d2702:
Old 09-22-22, 06:25 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
It's been almost a week and crickets from the OP, maybe he/they found what they were looking for.....Wishing them all the best.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-22-22, 06:57 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
It's been almost a week and crickets from the OP, maybe he/they found what they were looking for.....Wishing them all the best.
Best, Ben
They may not be getting notifications. Tagging @nswartsell in case they haven't seen the latest posts.
Old 09-22-22, 07:18 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
They may not be getting notifications. Tagging @nswartsell in case they haven't seen the latest posts.
Perhaps, but I would hope that the OP would check the thread.....There have been numerous suggestions, offers to help. I am wondering if he found a bike on OfferUp or CL already.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-22-22, 07:20 PM
nswartsell

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks! I wasn't getting them. I forgot to check in on this post because it's been a hectic week at work. Appreciate this!
Likes For nswartsell:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.