Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bridgestone RB-T

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 06:01 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Bridgestone RB-T

Hey Gang,

Any idea what the post-pandemic market is like for Bridgestone RB-Ts?

I found this bike (see below pics) listed for $200 on the local web-market site. Do you think it would be a good flip or no dice?

I haven’t spoken with the seller yet. Not sure what size it is (the relaxed head tube angle is throwing me off a bit).

Thanks in advance for letting me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Mdl; 09-16-22 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 06:18 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
I believe that's a 1991. Not an easy bike to find & only produced for 3 years, Bridgestones of this era hold their value better than most brands. I have the same bike waiting for a complete refurb. If you can score it for $150, I think it would make a decent flip candidate. But obviously, every market is different.
Old 09-16-22, 07:10 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by wrk101
Flip as in sell locally? Vintage bikes are going cheap in my local market, seems like I am the only buyer left. So my choices are:

1. Sell to myself (that doesn't work).

2. Part out on yea old auction site.

3. Sell complete on yea old auction site.

Vintage touring bikes used to command a nice premium. Right now in my area, they are not. You either have to recalibrate what is a deal, or choose options 2 or 3. If you have the stomach for pack/ship/fees, then option #3 should be an excellent return! Parts are not so great, so option #2 would yield a lower return.

I recently picked up two Japanese vintage touring bikes that sat for sale in my area for several weeks. So the local market was clear. Sell to myself, or pursue options 2 or 3. In the past, I was able to sell refurbished touring bikes in the $400 to $500 range. Those days are long gone.
Thrifty Bill,
Yes. I suspected as much. Seems like buyers loaded up on vintage during the pandemic, lol. One of my bikes has been listed for a long time without a bite. And I’ve seen older forum posts suggesting RB-Ts were trading for around $800 just a few years ago.
lol. I’m going to check the big auction site for (very) recent trading history. Thanks.

Last edited by Mdl; 09-17-22 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 07:25 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Mdl
Thrifty Bill,
Yes. I suspected as much. Seems like buyers loaded up on vintage during the pandemic, lol. One of my bikes has been listed for a long time without a bite. And I’ve seen older forum posts suggesting RB-Ts we’re trading for around $800 just a few years ago.
lol. I’m going to check the big auction site for (very) recent trading history. Thanks.
Updpated:
Wow. According to the oracle one sold here in the Northeast recently for big money plus shipping. Collectors gonna collect. Gonna make a call..
Old 09-16-22, 07:37 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
To me, it has potential as a flip. There remains a big Bridgestone fanbase out there.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 09-16-22, 08:20 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
I've never had a problem selling Bridgestones. I was surprised at the response when I posted a neglected CB..
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-16-22, 09:43 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
It looks like it’s a 53 or 54-ish size. Since that is my size I would be all over it like a lampshade at $200
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-16-22, 03:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yep it's a good buy at $200.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-17-22, 04:56 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by curbtender
I've never had a problem selling Bridgestones. I was surprised at the response when I posted a neglected CB..
Bridgestone CB is a city bike. When did you sell it?
Old 09-17-22, 05:31 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by TugaDude
To me, it has potential as a flip. There remains a big Bridgestone fanbase out there.
Do we think the bike could draw a comparable price to this recent EBay sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12539658120...emis&media=SMS

Additionally, I’m wondering whether the underside of the top tube is rusted? Or, instead, if it’s maybe just dirty?

I’m apprehensive about a 2 hour (round trip) drive. I had told myself I wasn’t going to do this anymore! LOL 😂. However, if I could make a few hundred bucks it would be worth it.

I contacted the seller and we’ve planned to meet up this morning.

Old 09-17-22, 06:19 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Mdl
Do we think the bike could draw a comparable price to this recent EBay sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12539658120...emis&media=SMS

. . .
$850 is, IMO, a too high for this bike.
Old 09-17-22, 06:31 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
$850 is, IMO, a too high for this bike.
Condition…
Likes For Mdl:
Old 09-17-22, 06:33 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
Bridgestone CB is a city bike. When did you sell it?
About a year ago.
Old 09-17-22, 06:42 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Mdl
Condition…
There are a lot of great bikes out there you can get for less money.
Old 09-17-22, 06:50 AM
TugaDude

To me it would not be an $850.00 bike, but I'm not the target audience for this. This bike, cleaned up and with good photos taken, would appeal to someone who is a Bridgestone fan and is interested in doing some bikepacking or light touring. It seems to be growing in popularity and there are youtubers who regularly post their journeys.

Getting the most out of something is all about finding the right person, and at the right time. With patience, who knows what the end result could be?
Old 09-17-22, 07:23 AM
Mdl
Montedino

To me it would not be an $850.00 bike, but I'm not the target audience for this. This bike, cleaned up and with good photos taken, would appeal to someone who is a Bridgestone fan and is interested in doing some bikepacking or light touring. It seems to be growing in popularity and there are youtubers who regularly post their journeys.

Getting the most out of something is all about finding the right person, and at the right time. With patience, who knows what the end result could be?
We’re thinking alike. Thanks for letting me know.

It doesn’t matter now, anyway. I’m in the car on the way there (the seller said to come at 10) and I asked if I could call to ask him a question. He wrote back “The bike sold this morning. Sorry”.
Nice. Saved me a trip. Some people… Can’t make this stuff up.
Old 09-17-22, 07:26 AM
Mdl
Montedino

We’re thinking alike. Thanks for letting me know.

It doesn’t matter now, anyway. I’m in the car on the way there (the seller said to come at 10) and I asked if I could call to ask him a question. He wrote back “The bike sold this morning. Sorry”.
Nice. Saved me a trip.

Last edited by Mdl; 09-17-22 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 10:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
With the bike having sold I'm going to say my non-flipper opinion. That thing is a rusty pile and the only attraction is the Rivendell association. Why would you even post a close up photo of that headset much less two if you ever wanted someone to come look at it? How unlikely is it that the seat post will come out?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-17-22, 11:18 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I do two things on longer drives for flips:

1. I get seller to verify seat post and stem are no stuck.

2. I arrange for multiple stops/multiple pickups.

The max I will drive otherwise is one hour, one way. Yes, there are plenty of sellers out there that will do you dirty.

Best/most patient seller ever, I am picking up two bikes Monday where I gave them half up front. Bought the bikes in July......2,000 miles away, so I wouldn't make a special trip.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-17-22, 12:41 PM
TugaDude

I disagree with the comment above about this being a rusty piece of whatever. I'll bet even a simple cleaning would show that it is in very good condition. What looks like rust in a photo oftentimes is just grease that has picked up dirt.

But whatever, it is gone.

Wrk101 is correct when he says if a deal comes up you had better jump in the car. Too much dickering or checking on website forums and it's gone. Just the way it works.

As for being "done dirty", unless there is cash on the barrel head, no seller is guaranteed of anything. Many a prospective purchaser has decided at the last minute that they are no longer interested. It takes a lot of faith and luck sometimes when you are the seller. Cash in hand is king.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 09-18-22, 09:21 AM
Mdl
Montedino

I disagree with the comment above about this being a rusty piece of whatever. I'll bet even a simple cleaning would show that it is in very good condition. What looks like rust in a photo oftentimes is just grease that has picked up dirt.

But whatever, it is gone.

Wrk101 is correct when he says if a deal comes up you had better jump in the car. Too much dickering or checking on website forums and it's gone. Just the way it works.

As for being "done dirty", unless there is cash on the barrel head, no seller is guaranteed of anything. Many a prospective purchaser has decided at the last minute that they are no longer interested. It takes a lot of faith and luck sometimes when you are the seller. Cash in hand is king.
You’re right. I should’ve been in the car the night before. But I did dicker over it, even though instinctively knew it could be a good flip.
Old 09-19-22, 02:12 PM
guy1138

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
To me it would not be an $850.00 bike, but I'm not the target audience for this.
Me neither, but if you are; this is *the one* to have.

It has the (rare) 600/Ultegra 7-speed indexed barcons, and is the best color they made.

Also, the RB-T is great because it was 700c, whereas most of the "classic" touring bikes in the US (Miyata, Trek, Schwinn, Centurion, etc) came with 27" for way too long.
Old 09-19-22, 04:56 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by guy1138
Me neither, but if you are; this is *the one* to have.

It has the (rare) 600/Ultegra 7-speed indexed barcons, and is the best color they made.

Also, the RB-T is great because it was 700c, whereas most of the "classic" touring bikes in the US (Miyata, Trek, Schwinn, Centurion, etc) came with 27" for way too long.
Brilliant. I’m the poster child for the adage “He who hesitates is lost”. 🤦🏻
😂 I have to laugh or else I’ll cry. 😂
Old 09-19-22, 05:57 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

As a seller, I've had so many people "on the way" that never showed. C/L and FB are the land of no shows.

My basic rule is call me when you are driving, and I will hold the item a reasonable time awaiting your arrival. So if you are "30 minutes away", call me when you are on the road and I will hold it for one hour. I think this is a reasonable work around, I won't hold stuff, but I won't sell it out from underneath you if you are on the way. Now if you want to wait until the weekend when it is convenient, no.
Old 09-19-22, 08:05 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by wrk101
As a seller, I've had so many people "on the way" that never showed. C/L and FB are the land of no shows.

My basic rule is call me when you are driving, and I will hold the item a reasonable time awaiting your arrival. So if you are "30 minutes away", call me when you are on the road and I will hold it for one hour. I think this is a reasonable work around, I won't hold stuff, but I won't sell it out from underneath you if you are on the way. Now if you want to wait until the weekend when it is convenient, no.
good advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.