Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin does blood pressure now

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-20-22, 04:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/716808
This isn't a release many people would have predicted, I'm curious to know more and see what's next.
Old 09-20-22, 04:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
They beat Apple to the punch.

Given how much many commercial wrist blood pressure monitors aren't worth their weight in sand, it will be interesting to see how it performs.
Old 09-20-22, 06:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The Garmin one looks more traditional as medical equipment:

It costs $150. It looks like a cheap but legitimate BP monitor can be had for $20. The Garmin one records into their Connect service, that doesn't seem worth $130 to me but I don't have hypertension.

Very curious about the business case and possible regulatory back story to this. It would be great for patients to be able to bring their data to clinics and avoid having tests done generally, BP is free and noninvasive though. I feel like this implies Garmin wants to dip its toe in a new market.
Old 09-20-22, 06:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I posted before I looked.

Mine goes up in a clinical setting, so I think having one that records (so they don't have to take my word for it) might be worth it.

Cheapest reliable one I found was $60, so this is about 2X more.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-22-22, 03:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I don't take my bp that often, maybe once a week. I have a blood pressure monitor where the electronics is separate. Omron has some of that type for $50-ish that are validated, but mine was about $80. The one I got has bluetooth so I can more easily record my data somewhere I can look at it. I can see how it would be nice to have the data on connect.

It would be nice if it met the AMA criteria for validation, which it doesn't appear to do. I think they ran their own trial. https://www.validatebp.org/manufacturers/
Old 09-22-22, 01:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My smart watch is a cheap ~$50 Chinese smart watch which has a blood pressure function, but I don't take it seriously at all. Most of the time it reads like 102/62 or something way low like that. I do try to keep the watch at my heart level but it doesn't seem to change much. I did get it to read 121/74 once which I think was probably closer to reality.

It also reads blood oxygen which I think seems to be fairly accurate, usually reads from 96-98%, and heart rate seems to be accurate. But if I really want to check my blood pressure I'll use a blood pressure cuff and not the watch.
Old 09-22-22, 01:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts

"does" - is that raising or lowering of that blood pressure? I'll stick to staying uninformed and stress-free. BITD I had a real cuff and took my BP in the morning to check my recovery. (My racing days.) If I could get it, I knew I wasn't fully recovered. If all was well, it was so low I couldn't find my pulse. Never did learn my waking BP or pulse when rested. Bicycled to an AM blood donation in those days and "flunked" both stolic and diastolic. (98/48. 100/50 was lowest the Red Cross would take. Nurse was disgusted but she wrote the approved minimum and drew my blood. They knew me well as their fittest donor.)
Old 09-26-22, 08:44 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
This is just a wifi connected BP monitor with Garmin Connect. Not the holy grail of no inflating cuff (and non-invasive) blood pressure measurement. If you're already using Garmin Connect then this is a reasonable addition but an Omron or other quality BP monitor is less expensive and just as useful.

When Garmin or another company succeeds with a wearable, reasonably accurate BP and blood sugar monitoring that doesn't require expensive consumables, they will have a winner or their hands.
Old 09-26-22, 09:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The Garmin one looks more traditional as medical equipment:

It costs $150. It looks like a cheap but legitimate BP monitor can be had for $20. The Garmin one records into their Connect service, that doesn't seem worth $130 to me but I don't have hypertension.

Very curious about the business case and possible regulatory back story to this. It would be great for patients to be able to bring their data to clinics and avoid having tests done generally, BP is free and noninvasive though. I feel like this implies Garmin wants to dip its toe in a new market.
I have their scale and you have to open the app after ti is done to get it to sync. its not automatic. 150.00 is a lot for a arm mounted one. I bought one of the best rated ones for 80.00 but you would want a app just for BP to keep track and tel you know what's going on
Old 09-26-22, 09:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
This is just a wifi connected BP monitor with Garmin Connect. Not the holy grail of no inflating cuff (and non-invasive) blood pressure measurement. If you're already using Garmin Connect then this is a reasonable addition but an Omron or other quality BP monitor is less expensive and just as useful.

When Garmin or another company succeeds with a wearable, reasonably accurate BP and blood sugar monitoring that doesn't require expensive consumables, they will have a winner or their hands.
yep I agree I have the omron and it works well. the app could be better but other then that.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 10-08-22 at 08:04 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-05-22, 02:01 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
The Garmin universe is expanding all the time. Garmin Connect is handy and takes data from various computers, sensors, watches, and other things. The price is a tad steep for just another data point unless you have BP issues and want your health information consolidated on Connect. Pass for now.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 05-19-23, 08:58 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I got mine today. Overall it is easy to use and the cost wasn't an issue because I basically got it for free as a Bravo award from my current employer. But Tuesday I had a preemployment physical and my BP scared the hell out of the nurse and gave me a bit of concern too. For that reason, I changed my choice of using my award for the BPM monitor instead of the Varia radar I wanted to use it for.

Just a few minutes ago I used it and had 128/79. But earlier today when I unboxed it I was 160/83. I'll probably be seeing my GP soon but hopefully it is going to be a temporary thing after my second COVID bout like my arrhythmia was after the first one.

Old 05-20-23, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yeah, sorry, I posted before I looked.

Mine goes up in a clinical setting, so I think having one that records (so they don't have to take my word for it) might be worth it.

Cheapest reliable one I found was $60, so this is about 2X more.
Personally I think in a clinical setting they are incorrectly wrapping the cuff around the arm. Most I've read the instructions for say to leave it loose enough for two fingers to be inserted under it which is quite loose. But they don't, they think that if they put two fingers under the cuff when they wrap it and then can manage to pull them out that they are good. However these automatic cuffs can squeeze the dickens out of ones arm and are painful. That'll raise anyone's BP. And on my wife these cuffs leave blood blisters where they've squeezed too hard in clinical settings.

I actually had several BP checks lately in the clinic, and the persons used the old style BP cuffs where they had to use a stethoscope and a bulb to blow up the cuff.
Old 05-21-23, 11:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Apple (and I am sure others) are doing research to use OPTICAL Doppler flow measurements to measure BP without a squeeze.

I expect a reasonable product in the next year or two. Could be a game changer if it’s accurate.
Old 05-25-23, 08:24 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've been using my Garmin BPM for months now without issue. Yes it might be more expensive than other BPM on the market, but all of my other health data is in Garmin Connect. So might as well have my BP in there too. Overall I am quite happy with it. Even if the big X is still coming up at the end of my reading. Looking at the Garmin forums I see that I am not the only one experiencing this issue either.
Old 05-26-23, 11:24 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
For future readers of this thread with intent to pursue health data collection, here's another perspective. I use an Omron Evolv, which find really useful and durable. While it definitely costs quite a bit more, I think it's worth it for the iPhone integration and the excellent logging capabilities. If the intent is a legitimate health analysis, I can't imagine why anyone would want a low-priced solution. Now, I'm not typical. I have really crazy BP. Really crazy. Technically called "highly labile BP," it goes to extremes and tends to stay there, hard to trigger a reversal once it goes. Baroreceptor damage in the carotid artery from radiation therapy to the neck 15 years ago. I can pull 170/140 in front of someone wearing a white coat; I can print 80/40 after eating, drinking, exercising or 30 minutes settling in front of the TV. I can stand up on the train ride home and suddenly feel stoned beyond belief. A call to the CEO's office and I feel the pressure in my cheekbones. At least once a week, I fake that I'm tying my shoes just to get the blood back to my head. I see a good cardiologist every six months and I always scare the nurse out of her wits. The doc knows my story well, is quite a runner himself, and always likes to see a log of the week before our visit. "Keep up the riding," he says. Recommendations: log a lot of readings in lots of situations, for with everyone there's always variance (not like mine) and your doc will appreciate the broader dataset. Bring your device to a checkup appointment and see that it's fairly "close to calibrated" by letting the pro do one arm while the device does the other - match should be "close enough." And remember, especially around here, that Dr. Internet is not your friend. Find the right doctor for you.
Old 10-20-23, 12:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I seldom get an accurate BP measurement at the doctor's office as they do not have the time or usually the training to do so. Any home monitor is going to be better. With the Garmin smartwatches often the center of training programs people want all their data in one place and this is behind the added functions in the watches and their increase in price and increase in popularity.

A key problem with the Apple watches is their short battery life which is a fraction of that provided by the Garmin watches. My Epix 2 has a battery life of up to 16 days. Compare that with up to 18 hours for an Apple smart watch.
Old 10-29-23, 05:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I have a home unit which connects to my phone over bluetooth. The brand is 1byone Health. It gives readings higher than I get at the doctor's office or blood center so it could be defective. I've heard that your reading can be high at the doctor's office from the stress of being there, but that's clearly not my problem, since my readings are lower there. I've heard bad things said about the cheap stuff, so maybe this is a good unit. My unit is supposed to be able to upload to my doctor's web portal, but that hasn't worked reliably. I bet Garmin does a better job at that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-23, 05:46 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Considering the general quality of what Garmin does, the only thing Garmin products can do is act as sensors, i.e. measure, collect and hand over raw data. For everything else Garmin is complete garbage. So, the only option with Garmin devices is to offload the data to an independent third-party post-processing service like Strava, RideWithGPS and somesuch (for bicycle applications), which will try to extract something useful from the raw dump.

Now cue in blood pressure monitors... So, what are they planning to do with blood pressure monitors? Garmin itself has not technological wherewithal to even approach this matter. Is there a community of some sort on the web? SmileUnderPressure.com? GentleSqueeze.net? Who will take the data from the Garmin device and actually do something useful with it (useful to the user of the device)? Without third-party support it's just ordinary Garmin junk.
Old 10-29-23, 06:25 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
I get a kick out of these types of threads. Whenever a new product is mentioned the usual response is people chiming in about all the cheaper solutions out there. Garmin now has a interesting environment for weight, pulse OX, heart rate, ECG, FTP and all relevant cycling data as well as other outdoor sports in one integrated portal. Impressive.
Old 10-29-23, 06:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Considering the general quality of what Garmin does, the only thing Garmin products can do is act as sensors, i.e. measure, collect and hand over raw data. For everything else Garmin is complete garbage. So, the only option with Garmin devices is to offload the data to an independent third-party post-processing service like Strava, RideWithGPS and somesuch (for bicycle applications), which will try to extract something useful from the raw dump.

Now cue in blood pressure monitors... So, what are they planning to do with blood pressure monitors? Garmin itself has not technological wherewithal to even approach this matter. Is there a community of some sort on the web? SmileUnderPressure.com? GentleSqueeze.net? Who will take the data from the Garmin device and actually do something useful with it (useful to the user of the device)? Without third-party support it's just ordinary Garmin junk.
Obviously not a user as everything said is absolute BS.
Old 10-31-23, 06:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT

Maybe I don't understand blood pressure very well, but what could Garmin do wrong here?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.