Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need a new rear derailleur and hanger how do I know what to get?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-25-22, 12:35 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a 2014 specialized crosstrail it has 8 speeds in the back and Shimano altus.

If I search out altus on Amazon I see a lot that have another word too like Revere altus or mehgna altus and they say they have their own factory, are these ripoffs? Like this:https://a.co/d/8gKrQq4

Are there different types of Shimano altus rds? Or if I find a genuine one are they all the same?

And is a hanger specific to a bike or are those generic? Thank you all for any help really want to get back to riding again.
Old 09-25-22, 01:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Hangers are specific to bike brands, sometimes even the model. Find a site with a variety of them and match your current one to the pictures. Shimano Altus should be available, although it might be harder to get as 8-speed is not the normal for cutting edge bikes, but it is available for lower-end models. You could also try another brand just as long as its recommended to 8-speed use; if not using index shifting just about any brand will do. Also maybe try Shimano Alerca(?) or Tiagra. And you want to pay attention to the length of the pulley wheel holder(?), whether your current one is long/medium/short cage - long will work on all and is usually found with wide-ranging cassettes or freewheels (30 tooth or larger gear ring on back), short ones on more compact cassettes or freewheels.
Likes For skidder:
Old 09-25-22, 02:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Yes hangers are specific to bikes, take it down to your local shop more than likely they will have the parts or can easily get the correct ones and confirm what hanger you need. Billionaire Jeff Bezos has no knowledge of bikes and isn't interested in selling you the correct parts but just selling as much junk as he can to make as much money as possible.

8 speed altus is easy enough to find, it is low end Shimano and still being produced finding higher end stuff in 8 speed is much tougher unless you look used but I wouldn't I would just put the minimal amount of money to get the bike safely ridable.
Old 09-25-22, 03:11 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
If you need a new derailleur hanger for your bike, easy peasy ... just go here and order:
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-tech-help
Enter Brand: Specialized; Model: Crosstrail Series; Year: 2007-2016.

As far as the rear derailleur itself is concerned, easily available as well, as veganbikes said: Shimano Altus RD-M310 7/8 speed rear derailleur. Just Google it for online order, or take that part description to your lbs.

Problems solved.
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-25-22, 07:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You start by posting in the proper section, which is not GD. It's...bicycle mechanics. You've been a member for 8 years, you should be aware of the different forum sections. You should also be able to post live links by hitting the little button up above where you type that looks like a chain link. Aaaaaaannnd there are hundreds of different hangers so they're quite specific. Why do you need a new rear derailleur?
Old 09-25-22, 09:27 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I've bought new hangers a few times, including once from Ukraine! (Venom Bikes, paid in Hryvina). Wheels Mfg has a good catalogue. I have an unusual frame (a replacement). I printed pictures scaled to actual size and laid my old one on them. The hanger that fits is described as being for bikes other than mine. Oddly, 1 of the vendors gave it a different number.
Old 09-25-22, 09:53 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It looks as though Amazon is marketing the Shimano Althus rear derailleurs by bicycle brand name to make it easier for buyers to get one that fits that brand of bike.
Revere and Meghna Corporation make bikes but like all other bike manufacturers buy the parts from outfits like Shimano or SRAM.

Unfortunately there are a very large variety of hangars and they are quite expensive. The one for my recumbent trike (#45) is listed at $40 but knowing the hangar number, I can order a spare from China for less than $10. I did buy a spare and it is exactly the same as the one than was purchased from an online bike shop here in the US.
Old 09-26-22, 05:18 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://derailleurhanger.com/manufac...series2007-16/
https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...RoC8poQAvD_BwE
Old 09-26-22, 07:36 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

If #11 is the right one, you can get one from a US seller on eBay for $15 https://www.ebay.com/itm/192196530501
Same one from China $6 https://www.ebay.com/itm/333999998374 Shipping time can be anywhere from about a week to a month. Stuff sent by Speedpak arrives really quickly.
Old 09-26-22, 11:27 AM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all I think I have everything I need ordered from ebay.

I was riding yesterday and stopped at a park, I started to leave and my pedal immediately just kinda stopped, I looked down and my RD was twisted all into my spokes. I have no idea how it got that way I didnt bang it on anything and the bike has like 16000 miles now and has always been perfect. I could not bend the rd or the hanger anywhere near straight to get it to pedal again. It also seems like something is hanging the chain up inside one of the 2 hanging idler gears, possibly chain stopped in one of those and the torque pulled it into spokes? I'm going to get everything installed and hopefully working and then get my wheel trued at the lbs.
Old 09-26-22, 12:21 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by John Redcorn
Thank you all I think I have everything I need ordered from ebay.

I was riding yesterday and stopped at a park, I started to leave and my pedal immediately just kinda stopped, I looked down and my RD was twisted all into my spokes. I have no idea how it got that way I didnt bang it on anything and the bike has like 16000 miles now and has always been perfect. I could not bend the rd or the hanger anywhere near straight to get it to pedal again. It also seems like something is hanging the chain up inside one of the 2 hanging idler gears, possibly chain stopped in one of those and the torque pulled it into spokes? I'm going to get everything installed and hopefully working and then get my wheel trued at the lbs.
Buy two. A spare is good to have on hand. For my mountain bike I carry two spares. We’ll have only one now after I picked up a stick a few weeks ago.

Also I’ve had to file some to make a correct fit.
Old 09-26-22, 03:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Something happened to get the hanger out of alignment, it's the only answer. The hanger is straight, the bike works fine and there is no drama. The hanger gets bent and what happens is exactly what happened to you. I've been fixing this issue nearly on a daily basis for coming up on 30 years. It's a very simple system and there aren't really any mysteries. Bend the hanger, derailleur goes in the spokes.
Old 09-26-22, 05:59 PM
VegasTriker

Not always. Sometimes it is the RD getting jammed by something in the chain that forces the RD into the spokes and THEN the hangar gets bent. The ones I have are a pretty robust piece of aluminum. It is designed so that it is easier to bend the hangar than to destroy part of the frame. I had exactly this happen when a rear blinkie light came loose, fell into the chainline, and when I took off jammed the chain forcing the RD into the spokes. That bent the hangar and bent the RD but did not destroy the rear wheel (fortunately!). It happened when I was stopped at a traffic light. When I tried to pedal away it was a no-go.
Old 09-27-22, 04:22 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by John Redcorn
I was riding yesterday and stopped at a park, I started to leave and my pedal immediately just kinda stopped,
Were you on the bike the whole time? I locked mine up at a hitching post for a few hours; when I tried to ride off the derailleur was in the spokes. I suspect someone accidentally (I hope) hit it while it was parked.

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Buy two. A spare is good to have on hand. For my mountain bike I carry two spares.
Because I have to buy mine mail order (no LBS has my unusual hanger) I buy 2 at a time - I don't carry them though.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Something happened to get the hanger out of alignment, it's the only answer.
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Not always. Sometimes it is the RD getting jammed by something in the chain that forces the RD into the spokes and THEN the hangar gets bent.
Why I started using spoke protectors.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 09-29-22, 05:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I carry two and have replaced one trail side. Watch out for the tiny screws and take the correct size wrench.