Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dura-Ace FH-7403 question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-28-22, 02:09 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

I have a couple of Dura-Ace 7400 series hubs, and the FH7403 (the one that can take a hyperglide cassette with the mushroom locknut that help it press a 126mm spacing out to 130mm) has one quirk that is really frustrating.

It seems that, in order to tighten or remove the lockring with a typical lockring tool like the TL-FW30, I need to remove the axle (because of the size of the mushroom lock nut). A typical lockring tool just doesn't have the internal diameter to get over the mushroom locknut. I'm wondering if there is a lockring tool that has a large enough internal diameter to get around the mushroom lock nut--do I need to track down an old TL-HG15 or is there something I'm missing when it comes to using a hyperglide cassette on this particular hub? Maybe there's an obvious solution I'm just failing to recognize?

This old FH-7403 instruction page says that both the TL-HG15 and the TL-FW30 can be used, but my experience has been the TL-FW30 requires the added step of removing the axle (and then needing to repack the bearings & adjust the lock nuts every time a cassette is replaced). https://manualzz.com/doc/53871484/sh...e-instructions
Old 09-28-22, 02:46 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon
I have a couple of Dura-Ace 7400 series hubs, and the FH7403 (the one that can take a hyperglide cassette with the mushroom locknut that help it press a 126mm spacing out to 130mm) has one quirk that is really frustrating.

It seems that, in order to tighten or remove the lockring with a typical lockring tool like the TL-FW30, I need to remove the axle (because of the size of the mushroom lock nut). A typical lockring tool just doesn't have the internal diameter to get over the mushroom locknut. I'm wondering if there is a lockring tool that has a large enough internal diameter to get around the mushroom lock nut--do I need to track down an old TL-HG15 or is there something I'm missing when it comes to using a hyperglide cassette on this particular hub? Maybe there's an obvious solution I'm just failing to recognize?

This old FH-7403 instruction page says that both the TL-HG15 and the TL-FW30 can be used, but my experience has been the TL-FW30 requires the added step of removing the axle (and then needing to repack the bearings & adjust the lock nuts every time a cassette is replaced). https://manualzz.com/doc/53871484/sh...e-instructions
Sorry no good info to add other than I know I used those hubs with that locknut, and no way would I have ever taken the axle out to replace a cassette! I must have had a tool that fit over the locknut.

Maybe sand a little off the locknut by spinning it up against a belt sander (poor man's lathe), and/or take a little off the ID of your tool like with a sanding drum in a drill or dremel.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-28-22, 04:28 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Originally Posted by bulgie
take a little off the ID of your tool like with a sanding drum in a drill or dremel.
Interesting idea; I hadn't really thought about dremelling out the inside of a lockring tool. My immediate worry is thinning out the metal to the point of failure, but that's without checking to see how much is there to remove. It could also be that my lockring tool is sort of a mess after so many years of use--I should probably just get the dang thing out and see if it needs to be replaced.
Old 09-28-22, 05:36 PM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Maybe use a readily available aftermarket lockring tool, rather than the Shimano freewheel tool? I don't recall having any problem with mine with this kind of tool.

Likes For Seanaus:
Old 09-28-22, 06:16 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
I have a couple 7403 hubs currently in service. I've got a tool like this one. I don't know what brand it is but I've never had a problem.

Likes For BradH:
Old 09-28-22, 06:39 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
If the hub has been taken apart, it's possible that the locknuts were installed on the wrong side, as both locknuts are not the same.The non-drive side (NDS) locknut has a larger diameter (by ~0.031") and a deeper bevel. The TL-FW30 will not fit over it. If your tool fits over the locknut currently installed on the non-drive side, then the locknuts have been switched, side for side.

Edit: The non-drive side locknut dfoes not fit into either of my two Shimano TL-FW30 or my Park tool. It's a light interference fit with mu LIfu.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-29-22 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added tool comparison and photos
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-28-22, 11:30 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 277 Posts
I got a set of DA wheels in a package trade that not only had the nuts swapped but they were both on backwards. The WTF? moment was very special. All in all it was actually a dyno deal and def good for a laugh.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 09-28-22, 11:39 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Learned something new today! Glad both of my 7403 hubs that came to me were overhauled correctly in the past. I can confirm I've never had an issue with using any normal Shimano FH lockring tool on them. Love these hubs.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 09-29-22, 08:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
...Love these hubs.
+1. The combination of freehub, cassette, 8 speeds, Hyperglide sprockets and Dura-Ace quality made them hard to beat. I preferred them over my 8 speed C-Record hubs.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-29-22, 10:48 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,211 Times in 1,102 Posts
I was in the process of accepting DA as a quality, durable product until two things happened.
1. The piece that keeps the adjustment screws on the FD failed and fell off.
2. FH-7403 cone RS1 2 on Flickr

1. is minor and can be addressed with something else than the original part.
2. Does not have an easy solution without extravagant $ outlay for a near commodity like part due to lack of supply of a unique design. Leads one to think it was designed to be disposable.

I will stick with the Campagnolo components which I have a higher level of acceptance of failure because I have found parts or alternative solutions. Just my preference. No problem with others choosing other brands.
Old 10-03-22, 02:15 PM
fvernon

Originally Posted by T-Mar
If the hub has been taken apart, it's possible that the locknuts were installed on the wrong side, as both locknuts are not the same.The non-drive side (NDS) locknut has a larger diameter (by ~0.031") and a deeper bevel. The TL-FW30 will not fit over it. If your tool fits over the locknut currently installed on the non-drive side, then the locknuts have been switched, side for side.
Very good possibility a previous owner accidentally swapped the locknuts. I'll rebuild and check into that (and, no doubt, need to completely redish the wheel in the process)
Old 10-17-22, 08:15 PM
fvernon

Originally Posted by T-Mar
If the hub has been taken apart, it's possible that the locknuts were installed on the wrong side
Unfortunately, the locknuts are installed correctly; or, to be more specific, the NDS locknut is on the correct side. I think the DS locknut on my hub is wrong, possibly the wrong type and size installed during someone's haphazard hub overhaul. I'll take the hub apart & see what's going on--and post pics, of course.
Old 10-18-22, 08:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Maybe sand a little off the locknut by spinning it up against a belt sander (poor man's lathe), and/or take a little off the ID of your tool like with a sanding drum in a drill or dremel.
I've used a hand-held tapered reamer to increase the ID of freewheel removers to fit over my tandem's oversize rear axle. The Hozan tapered reamer covers the range 3mm to 16mm:

https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-Tapered.../dp/B002TKEHVM