Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinnacle of bicycle frameset design - opinion(ated?) thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-01-22, 02:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts

This is strictly an opinion thread.
No right or wrong.
Maybe something laughable.

There should be several categories.
Pick your especiality, as photos are always nice. Touring. Time Trial.

[components aren’t meant to be a major consideration (altho that might be a point of discussion re frameset refinements)]

My category would be:
All day race bikes (aka: stage race design)

And my arguable opinion is mid-80s.

I will have to come back with some reasons.
The road calls - I pulled these out to choose how to roll on a beautiful Saturday.
Guess I got caught up a bit, before deciding = newest build has least "Wildwood miles".

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-01-22 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-01-22, 02:31 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Definitely the late ‘80s early ‘90s. All the great innovations in steel with MS, TSX, and the great Nivachrome tubes like MAX, EL, EL OS, which was the basis for MiniMAX, Genuis, and so on.

MAX

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-01-22, 02:42 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
1987-1992. Since most of my bikes are in that range...still lugged, but brazeons galore, Cannondale classic designs and still maintaining the classic steel look.

But the answer is probably the era of carbon fiber...

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 10-01-22, 02:53 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
The double aughts with 953, Spirit and XCR tubing.

Cinelli XCR

Cinelli XCR with Super Record 001 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 10-01-22, 04:37 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Wildwood It surprises me that two of the bikes in your photo (and really special ones) are not in your signature's inventory list. Are you keeping any others sub rosa?

I have to say that, in my mind, the all-day bike reached its apogee (in terms of geometry, efficient use of materials, and esthetic perfection of a Platonic sort) in the mid-80s, at the same time, paradoxically, that the bike boom was ending, great manufacturers were failing left and right, and there was a lot of turmoil in the bike industry that was not good for cycling. I see all the evolution since then as being largely irrelevant, unnecessary -- a lot of expensive frippery.

That said, having grown older along with my fascination with bicycles, I find that the peculiar examples that I have the most fondness for are earlier -- bikes from the 50s, say -- ones that are not as perfected as engineering examples or classic, but have more peculiar charms in an esthetic way, somewhat more Dionysian than Apollonian. More like baseball or cricket, and less like football.

Maybe I've misinterpreted your question, was it what category of frameset is the pinnacle, or what time period? If I have, then so have the other respondents so far.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 10-01-22 at 04:44 PM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 10-01-22, 05:16 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I thought “frameset design” was pretty much nailed down by the turn of the 20th century.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-01-22, 05:21 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Once the Unicrowns showed up I lost any interest on the then, latest frameset designs.....
And they still look fugly as he'll to me these days!
Old 10-01-22, 05:22 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
Claud Butler's bi-laminated frames. 1947.

https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...inated-frames/

Last edited by 1989Pre; 10-01-22 at 05:40 PM.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 10-01-22, 05:22 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Wildwood It surprises me that two of the bikes in your photo (and really special ones) are not in your signature's inventory list. Are you keeping any others sub rosa?

I have to say that, in my mind, the all-day bike reached its apogee (in terms of geometry, efficient use of materials, and esthetic perfection of a Platonic sort) in the mid-80s, at the same time, paradoxically, that the bike boom was ending, great manufacturers were failing left and right, and there was a lot of turmoil in the bike industry that was not good for cycling. I see all the evolution since then as being largely irrelevant, unnecessary -- a lot of expensive frippery.

That said, having grown older along with my fascination with bicycles, I find that the peculiar examples that I have the most fondness for are earlier -- bikes from the 50s, say -- ones that are not as perfected as engineering examples or classic, but have more peculiar charms in an esthetic way, somewhat more Dionysian than Apollonian. More like baseball or cricket, and less like football.

Maybe I've misinterpreted your question, was it what category of frameset is the pinnacle, or what time period? If I have, then so have the other respondents so far.
You sound like the Fed Chairman.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-01-22, 05:26 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 165 Posts
I'm always happy to show this one.

This one too.

Interesting tubes

Latest glued and screwed. Although I don't think these are screwed.

Coming soon.

Actually. None of them are pinnacles, but I do like them. Mostly because they're mine.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 10-01-22, 05:32 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
You sound like the Fed Chairman.
Whatevs.
Old 10-01-22, 05:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by nlerner
I thought “frameset design” was pretty much nailed down by the turn of the 20th century.
I would reply that perhaps it would be more granular to examine deeper than the 2 wheeled, diamond frame, chain driven with brakes design.

I would offer that the positioning of a rider on the race bike has changed little since the mid80s. Yes, a sloping tube today is most common but the touch points are similar with 80's top tube bikes (or that's my opinionated!). The industry got more specialized in late '80s + '90s - time trial (aero shaped tubing), triathlon designs nonUCI, Now further sliced into Endurance, Climbing, Aero as well as Race.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-01-22 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 06:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Here are my reasons for selecting mid-80s as a pinnacle for race bikes.

Maybe the nature of road racing has not changed much (and the UCI regs regarding design have killed innovation) but the geometries of road race bikes today are not much off the 80’s. Racing bikes sold to the public in the 70’s had more slack angles (in my experience). The best racers used custom frames.

You can still fit 26/27/28mm tires on most.
Vertical dropouts.
Fork crowns could be flat or sloped.
More complete set of braze-ons.
Aluminum bikes from Cannondale and Trek became available.
There was still a lot of commonality and ‘industry standards’. (Good for cyclists)
Carbon Fibre and titanium were coming out of infancy.
Lots of manufacturers offering a wide range of frame sizes. A few even in 1cm increments. And many designs 'tuned framesets' and tubes across the size range for the anticipated rider needs.
I would also suggest, without any factual counting, that more models of a brand with varying tubesets were produced to appeal to the high-end road sub-specialities that were beginning to emerge (triathlon &TT).

Reasons for other eras:
1 1/8 head tubes are stiffer. ‘00s
Carbon fiber allows huge flexibility in design and layups for very special tuning characteristics. '00+'10s
NorthAmerican Handmade Bicycle Show Era = entire '10s, but I went to San Jose events - '06+'07, Portland '08.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-01-22 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 06:13 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well this one may not be the pinnacle but it is the one I'd call the most advanced of the eighty-some steel bikes that have passed through my hands. The headtube is pointed, the top tube is flattened and oval shaped, the seat stays are fairly bladed, the downtube is teardrop shaped and the front fork legs are crimped in a triangular shape. It feels very fast every time I take it out. In fact when I run it up into the high 20 mph range I can back off my pedaling effort and it continues at speed seemingly on it's own.

Then there's the two non-traditional (not double diamond) bikes I have. The Trek Y-Foil and the Softride. The Softride is weird looking yet so stinkin' good when I take it out. Hard to describe what it's all about. I just seem to carry the highest average speed on it over the miles without trying as hard as I do on other bikes. You bounce a bit at first and then once you naturally smooth out your cadence it's almost like floating on air. I grew up on a horse farm raising Tennesse Walking Horses and to me the Softride is akin to the Walking Horse, just plain smmmoooootttthhhhh!!!!.

The Y-Foli really moves well too without the initial bouncing feel of the Softride. It's shape is more prone to catching sidewinds for sure yet seems to cut well through headwinds even ones quartering off the front of the bike. It's just the solid side gusts that get it sometimes.

Old 10-01-22, 06:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Touring on pavement category

‘Touring on pavement’ bike evolution ended in 1959.

chain stays long enough for panniers.
A front end responsive enough to be fun.
room for 35mm tires.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-01-22, 06:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Charles Wahl
Yeah I should update that.
The Frejus is the eternal unsuccessful (and lowest priority) project.
The Follis is a frameset now. smallish and meh

The 87 Bianchi, 79 Carlton, and 59 Rickert are not listed.

wow - someone observant enough to catch my sub rosa.
Old 10-01-22, 06:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I just picked up a Pro Miyata (~'85?) from a forumite this summer. Set up with a Chorus triple, Cyclone derailleurs and brakes, GEL330s and Delta compatible pedals, that bike is all there. Perfect fit, handling, shifting (yes, I still do DT and with the SunTour "auto-adjust" shifters - forgot their name), it is one hell of a ride! Stiff. Plenty light though not by modern standards. All it needs is better tires. (Conti Giros on there now - they work but are just so-so. Bike is tire size limited, 24c max. Quality rubber you can run rim-saving hard is a real blessing. Very good Veloflex 23c tires are on their way. With that, bike will be a treat.

Tubing is Miyata Cr-Mo butted. That tells me nothing. It is strong. Blades and seatstays are ovalized to semi-areo and still feel rock solid for side forces.

I could argue the bike should handle bigger than 24c. Also it should have WB bosses on the ST. A head tube pump peg. But all the rest? It's all there. Ride, geometry. Those parts I just happened to have dropped right on like they were home. (I do have my seat near slammed on a SunTour 26.8 MTB post. I'll splurge and get one of those lugged steel Nittos and center those ti seat rails before I break them. But that steep seat tube isn't a Miyata mistake. I love the steep tube, short chainstay., tight rear end and it's handling, all the time and especially on hairy downhills. This bike's totally confidence inspiring anywhere.)
Old 10-01-22, 07:17 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I'm another one for late 80s to early 90s. They feel like home to me.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-01-22, 07:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Here are my reasons for selecting mid-80s as a pinnacle for race bikes.

Maybe the nature of road racing has not changed much (and the UCI regs regarding design have killed innovation) but the geometries of road race bikes today are not much off the 80’s. Racing bikes sold to the public in the 70’s had more slack angles (in my experience). The best racers used custom frames.
I'd point out the changes in frame design up until the 80s were mostly due to changes in road conditions. "Steep" angles of 80s road bikes were no steeper than track bikes from the 50s & 60s. Also, the most popular topic (or a close second) iin this forum s restomods using modern components. Double aught frames are built for that, not 80s bikes. You can easily get under UCI weight limit with modern steel, if you are a weight weenie. Not so easy with an 80s frame. And if you buy into stiffer is better, oversized XCR and 953 are the way to go.
Old 10-01-22, 07:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

This thread needs a framebuilder input. Or two.
Old 10-01-22, 07:57 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...if you say rydabent three times, then turn around twice, he will appear in your thread, and explain to you why all opinions thus far are in error.
Old 10-01-22, 08:05 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Once the Unicrowns showed up I lost any interest on the then, latest frameset designs.....
And they still look fugly as he'll to me these days!
Unicrown was the beginning of the end. The Great Satan though, was threadless headset. And then 1 1/8” threadless headset came along and there was nothing but abominations and gnashing of teeth after that.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 10-01-22, 08:38 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

^^Hell yeah!
Old 10-01-22, 09:38 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
You're all wrong: THIS is a Pinnacle :

Literally; an '89 Klein Pinnacle.
yeah, it's an MTB, and it's aluminum , but it's a really nicely detailed frame, with absolutely eyeball -scorching paint work.
The only steel -framed bike I own also doesn't really fit in this "Greatest Steel Road Bikes of the 80's" because it's a SoftRide

Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-01-22, 09:43 PM
Mike V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 18 Posts
Merckx MX Leader

Likes For Mike V3:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.