Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with matching Shimano components

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-05-22, 11:04 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

Ok, I have Shimano's 2300 STI shifters I guess you call them, and getting the shifting right is kicking my ass. (not used to 'brake lever shifters') There hasn't been a bike that has done this to me in my life so that's why I'm kind of out of options. The catalog specs a Shimano HG40 chain with a SRAM PG-850 cassette but the bike came with a Shimano CS-HG50 cassette and a KMC "Z" chain. It shifted ok (with still a little trim needed) like that, but I wanted to put the proper shimano chain on there (not a huge fan of kmc as well) and that's when shifting got worse. The actual shift quality is out of this world, but **** isn't matching up. It's fine on the 12 and 14 cog, but by the time it's on the third cog up, it's as if I have too much derailleur tension. The shifting just doesn't match. It's either too much or not enough. Where do I find a compatibility chart if there is one? Or, can anyone tell me from experience which cassette works with these shifters?

Last edited by buddiiee; 10-05-22 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 11:26 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Any 8 speed Shimano or SRAM compatible cassette will work. The cassette is not to blame for your shifting issues, unless you have something other than an 8 speed cassette. The CS-HG50 designation was used for cassettes from 6 speed to 10 speed, so that doesn't tell us much without knowing how many cogs are on it.

What rear derailleur is paired with that shifter? You could have a derailleur that is not compatible or you could have the cable routed incorrectly on the derailleur. On some of those derailleurs, routing the cable on the wrong side of the pinch bolt changes the pull ratio.
Old 10-05-22, 11:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Are you running 8-speed shifters with a 9-speed cassette? That'll do what you're describing.
Old 10-05-22, 01:34 PM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Originally Posted by dsaul
Any 8 speed Shimano or SRAM compatible cassette will work. The cassette is not to blame for your shifting issues, unless you have something other than an 8 speed cassette. The CS-HG50 designation was used for cassettes from 6 speed to 10 speed, so that doesn't tell us much without knowing how many cogs are on it.

What rear derailleur is paired with that shifter? You could have a derailleur that is not compatible or you could have the cable routed incorrectly on the derailleur. On some of those derailleurs, routing the cable on the wrong side of the pinch bolt changes the pull ratio.
I have 8 cogs with a Shimano Sora rear derailleur. The derailleur's factory.

Old 10-05-22, 01:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
I’ve mixed-n-matched Shimano compatible cassettes, chains, and even individual cogs from different mfg’s without any problems. FWIW KMC X chains replaced Z chains and shift better.

Shimano SIS derailleurs are also required, or at least Shimano SIS compatible.

Aside from the incorrect number of cogs or incorrect cog spacing all index systems work the same way. Proper alignment of the derailleur in the starting, index from, position; which is typically outer smallest rear cog and inner chainring.

The other area that can mess up shifting are the cable and housings. If worn or dirty that will impact shifting; although typically more so when releasing the cable and the derailleur spring is the only force.

John
Old 10-05-22, 01:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by buddiiee
I have 8 cogs with a Shimano Sora rear derailleur. The derailleur's factory.
Just wondering 8 cogs from an 8 speed cassette, which is more likely, or 8 from a 9 speed cassette?

Your Sora RD will work as it has the older 1.7:1 actuation ratio.

John
Old 10-05-22, 02:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
They're called 'shifters'. Have you checked hanger alignment? Usually this wouldn't cause big problems til the last few largest cogs, but worth checking. Almost sounds like you've got the cable on the wrong side of the anchor bolt. It's very hard to diagnose these things over the interwebs, you should post some photos, you're able to do that. Everything is just a guess til we can see it.
ETA: You've been around for a while, you should know that purely mechanical questions like this should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not here in GD.
Old 10-05-22, 03:01 PM
buddiiee 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
They're called 'shifters'. Have you checked hanger alignment? Usually this wouldn't cause big problems til the last few largest cogs, but worth checking. Almost sounds like you've got the cable on the wrong side of the anchor bolt. It's very hard to diagnose these things over the interwebs, you should post some photos, you're able to do that. Everything is just a guess til we can see it.
ETA: You've been around for a while, you should know that purely mechanical questions like this should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not here in GD.
I can snap photos if you need. And for the cables, they're brand new Jagwires I installed.

I actually did consider the mechanics section, but the main thrust of the question was inquiring about a possible parts compatibility website more than anything, which is why I chose this. Can this be moved?

Last edited by buddiiee; 10-05-22 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 05:25 PM
70sSanO

Your 2300 shifters are compatible with….

- any Shimano compatible 8 speed cassette.
- any Shimano SIS 6 speed to 10 speed (except 74XX and 4700) road rear derailleur.
- any Shimano SIS 6 speed to 9 speed mtb rear derailleur
- nearly all multi-gear 7, 8, 9 speed chains.

I set up a bike for our son with 2300 shifters, 6 speed SIS Deore rear derailleur, 8 speed 105 front derailleur, 7 speed (Shimano & Sunrace mix) cassette spaced to 8 speed, on a 10 speed 105 hub with 7 speed freehub body. I’m running a KMC x8.93 chain. No issues.

Don’t think you need a particular Shimano cassette, chain or rear derailleur to get it to shift well. “Almost” any Shimano with the correct actuation ratios/cable pull will play together.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-05-22 at 05:28 PM.