Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ross Mt Washington bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 08:38 AM
Daniel3832

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ross Mt Washington bike

I am think about buying this used bike for 100.

I checked online for "ross bike mt washington", but only found the very old bikes model before 2000. but this one looks pretty new, not like any of those old model.
sorry I am not allowed to post pictures now. saying that I have to do 10 post before posting pictures.
Anyone knew about this bike? Does it worth it?

I posted a picture in my gallery.

Last edited by Daniel3832; 10-05-22 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 10:24 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Based on limited information, not worth it. Up to you. Condition is everything. The early 1980s Ross had some nice bikes, but that company went bankrupt in 1988. IMO, Ross couldn't decide whether they were going to make good stuff, or department store junk. Huge variation across their line. In the early years, the Mt Hood and Mt Whitney were very nice, along with their signature line of road bikes.

Older bikes tend to need a lot of maintenance. Unless you do all the work yourself, its easy to end up upside down value wise on a bike.
Old 10-05-22, 11:33 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel3832
I am think about buying this used bike for 100.

I checked online for "ross bike mt washington", but only found the very old bikes model before 2000. but this one looks pretty new, not like any of those old model.
sorry I am not allowed to post pictures now. saying that I have to do 10 post before posting pictures.
Anyone knew about this bike? Does it worth it?
You can post the photos to your gallery and we can access them from there.

This site has some information, nothing in great detail, but probably enough to narrow down the year. They made them from 1993 to 1998 apparently.

Last edited by TugaDude; 10-05-22 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-05-22, 11:44 AM
TugaDude

BTW, if the bike has the "bullmoose" bars, those are worth something by themselves. Assuming they are in good condition of course.

For $100.00 in my area I could likely find a Trek or a Univega or similar which would probably be better overall.
Old 10-05-22, 11:48 AM
Daniel3832

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi thanks, I posted the picture in my gallery, it does not looks old at all.

Would you be able to take a look? Thanks!

Last edited by Daniel3832; 10-05-22 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 04:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Ross as said er went out of business in 1988 and stopped higher quality production a us production a few years earlier. The later built Ross from 2015 are so are lesser China imports made to look nicer for a importer that got the Ross name. As said if it's a later model it's a department store level bike used in great condition but only $75-100 bike. IF looking for a good bike to ride on the cheap there are a lot of nice vintage and semi vintage Hard frame MTB's that are a lot nicer in the $100-200 range out there so aim higher.
Old 10-05-22, 08:47 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I always hear about these nice vintage mtb's for $100-200, and I have sold quite a few bikes over the years, but never see anything on CL that is under $250 that's any good. And if it's a good deal it's gone so fast you wouldn't have a chance.

That mid 90's steel Giant I found recently was the first non road bike in steel I saw worth a damn in years. Of course it was only $20........

I have only ever saw junk Ross in my travels. Oh well.
Old 10-05-22, 10:37 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Pic Assist

Hi thanks, I posted the picture in my gallery, it does looks old at all.

OP's "Gallery"
Old 10-05-22, 10:46 PM
Daniel3832

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you mean?
Old 10-06-22, 08:41 AM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
The bike appears to be a better department store-type bike in good condition suitable for light duty. Not collectable. Price seems fair if it fits you and is in as good condition as it appears to be.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 10-06-22, 10:27 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
If this is the bike in question, then I'd stay far away. Low end ladies step-through frame worth maybe $40 for someone looking for something that rolls.
Likes For Clang:
Old 10-06-22, 11:31 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wrk101
Location specific and 100% of my good to great deals that came from ads have come off FB marketplace. C/L always seems to be higher priced.

The bike above is a modern box store bike. I'd have zero interest in it. I prefer the early to late 1980s decent vintage stuff. I've found bikes as nice as a late 1980s Stumpjumper for $100 this year (FB marketplace). Incredibly, it sat unsold for a couple of MONTHS. My cheapest MTB deal this year was a Raleigh Heat, $10. Bought at a thrift store, they advertised that bike on FB marketplace too. IMO, the Stumpy. at $100 was the bigger bargain.

Stumpy as found. Pretty much ready to ride.

Raleigh Heat is the orange bike. Also picked up the Raleigh Crest for $8. Dropped it off at the co-op. Need a lot of LOVE.
Being in the hills of the Carolinas isn't like being in the Balto DC Metro.....again, I flip bikes also. Been doing it for quite some time.
I can't get the deals like I could. To many know what they have. That Schwinn Voyager was $35......plenty more from the good ole' days.
Old 10-06-22, 11:54 AM
TugaDude

Hi thanks, I posted the picture in my gallery, it does not looks old at all.

Daniel, I don't know that you've explained what you want with the bike. Maybe some of the comments are based upon suppositions that aren't correct. Certainly it has no potential in my mind as a flip, but as a rider, it might be worth buying, especially if you can negotiate the price down a bit. It looks very clean, but as stated by others, it isn't a high dollar bike.

On the plus side, it says it has a cromolly frame. Not sure about the forks. But it doesn't make a big difference on this bike.

The wheels are more of the MTB variety. Should it be used in an urban environment, you'll surely want to change them to something more appropriate.

I think some of the negative comments are a bit harsh in light of what $100.00 buys you these days, i.e. not much! Compare it to what you can buy at a department store and then decide.

Oh, and remember, no matter what, it is going to need maintenance. And all of the above goes out the window if the shifters are non-functional and/or anything else mechanically is wrong with it.
Old 10-06-22, 10:52 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Daniel, I don't know that you've explained what you want with the bike. Maybe some of the comments are based upon suppositions that aren't correct. Certainly it has no potential in my mind as a flip, but as a rider, it might be worth buying, especially if you can negotiate the price down a bit. It looks very clean, but as stated by others, it isn't a high dollar bike.

On the plus side, it says it has a cromolly frame. Not sure about the forks. But it doesn't make a big difference on this bike.

The wheels are more of the MTB variety. Should it be used in an urban environment, you'll surely want to change them to something more appropriate.

I think some of the negative comments are a bit harsh in light of what $100.00 buys you these days, i.e. not much! Compare it to what you can buy at a department store and then decide.

Oh, and remember, no matter what, it is going to need maintenance. And all of the above goes out the window if the shifters are non-functional and/or anything else mechanically is wrong with it.
You mean you can't just jump on FBM and find a nice bike for $100? , or a lot less. According to some folks you can. . Especially an upright rider that is good quality.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-06-22 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 06:23 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by StarBiker
You mean you can't just jump on FBM and find a nice bike for $100? , or a lot less. According to some folks you can. . Especially an upright rider that is good quality.
It is early and maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in, but I'm not sure what you are saying exactly. I guess one of the points of my post is that there are some vintage bikes which even though lower on the tier in their day are still strong competition for the bikes currently offered at your local Walmart or Target. I did a quick look, just for fun, to see what Target was offering currently and the prices were surprisingly high. To get a decent bike you're going to lay out more than $300.00, and by decent, I don't mean equal to some vintage bikes, not at all. There are a number of "bottom rung" vintage bikes I'd rather ride than what's on display at the big boxes.
Old 10-07-22, 09:39 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Being in the hills of the Carolinas isn't like being in the Balto DC Metro.....again, I flip bikes also. Been doing it for quite some time.
I can't get the deals like I could. To many know what they have. That Schwinn Voyager was $35......plenty more from the good ole' days.

Nice Trek 930 MTB in Baltimore area FB marketplace for $85.
Old 10-07-22, 02:49 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wrk101
Nice Trek 930 MTB in Baltimore area FB marketplace for $85.
I don't see it but there is one in West Virginia for $25........

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Again, I am not driving around......
Old 10-07-22, 02:54 PM
StarBiker

It is early and maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in, but I'm not sure what you are saying exactly. I guess one of the points of my post is that there are some vintage bikes which even though lower on the tier in their day are still strong competition for the bikes currently offered at your local Walmart or Target. I did a quick look, just for fun, to see what Target was offering currently and the prices were surprisingly high. To get a decent bike you're going to lay out more than $300.00, and by decent, I don't mean equal to some vintage bikes, not at all. There are a number of "bottom rung" vintage bikes I'd rather ride than what's on display at the big boxes.
You took my post the wrong way. I was exaggerating.

I can get a decent bike going for under $150, but they aren't easy to find, and if they are out there you have to drive some distance to get one.

I use to dig them out of my local thrift, but they were always vintage roadies. Some really nice ones, but none of them I found that comfortable for myself.

That old Innova is comfortable, and decent.
Old 10-07-22, 02:56 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Yes one can get a really nice MTB that needs a little work for about $100 in most markets wrk10 has given a lot of good advice on what to look for. Good tires nicer alloy wheels LX or DX components good paint preferably rigid none suspension fork but if really good suspension is ok.
Old 10-08-22, 06:56 AM
TugaDude

You took my post the wrong way. I was exaggerating.

I can get a decent bike going for under $150, but they aren't easy to find, and if they are out there you have to drive some distance to get one.

I use to dig them out of my local thrift, but they were always vintage roadies. Some really nice ones, but none of them I found that comfortable for myself.

That old Innova is comfortable, and decent.
No worries, I didn't take any offense. I just wasn't sure what you meant. That's all. Thanks for all of your input, it is good stuff.
Old 10-08-22, 07:00 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Yes one can get a really nice MTB that needs a little work for about $100 in most markets wrk10 has given a lot of good advice on what to look for. Good tires nicer alloy wheels LX or DX components good paint preferably rigid none suspension fork but if really good suspension is ok.
I am not actively flipping anymore, but when I was, some of my best in the financial sense were MTB's. I had a few that honestly I'd like to have back, they were that nice. But the wife had other ideas! Sounds familiar, yes?

Those sorts of bikes are definitely less available it seems (here locally) and the ones that are out there are asking more for them as compared to before. Supply and demand in action. But there are still a few that come up worth pursuing. Just have to be patient and expanding your search helps too.
Old 10-08-22, 08:01 AM
StarBiker

This is probably the most valuable bike I have found...(I never found any unusual Italian, or US Custom Made Roadie) I have $280 Total in it.

Old 10-08-22, 05:48 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

I am not actively flipping anymore, but when I was, some of my best in the financial sense were MTB's. I had a few that honestly I'd like to have back, they were that nice. But the wife had other ideas! Sounds familiar, yes?

Those sorts of bikes are definitely less available it seems (here locally) and the ones that are out there are asking more for them as compared to before. Supply and demand in action. But there are still a few that come up worth pursuing. Just have to be patient and expanding your search helps too.
My most profitable flips in the last year have been vintage MTBs. There is a market for some of them, and a lot of them have desirable parts. It helps when you find one where the pedals alone are worth 2X the asking price.