Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh SBDU Gran Tour 62cm

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 12:55 PM
goldfront 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Raleigh SBDU Gran Tour 62cm

Hello,

I picked up this 1983 Raleigh Gran Tour the other day, but I made my age-old mistake of buying too small. Since I haven't seen this model for sale before, I'm looking to get an idea of its value as a frameset. I would probably just sell the frame itself and part the rest out since it's a unique build (gold MAFAC competition, Phil hubs, Huret Jubilee long cage) with a few random parts (crank, FD). The frame condition is an 8/10 overall with a few scuffs in the paint and no rust I can see. Reynolds 531c. 62cm c-c. The photos I have aren't great as a for-sale post, but that's because I just snapped a few thinking I was going to keep it . I will take some more detailed and thorough shots when I decide on a price. It's pictured with 27" wheels, but I saw from this awesome build that you can fit 700c 35mm tires with fenders too!

Link to a few more photos

Likes For goldfront:
Old 11-09-22, 03:27 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
How small is too small? I know you're asking for a valuation, but if you like the bike, it may be worth trying a taller seat post and taller stem, as those look very low. Nitto Technomic stems are quite tall and available in various lengths, at least up to 120mm.

It's a lovely bike, whatever you decide.
Old 11-09-22, 04:03 PM
goldfront 

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
How small is too small? I know you're asking for a valuation, but if you like the bike, it may be worth trying a taller seat post and taller stem, as those look very low. Nitto Technomic stems are quite tall and available in various lengths, at least up to 120mm.

It's a lovely bike, whatever you decide.
I guess I should have clarified that the photos don't show my actual saddle height, which is about three inches higher. I could make the bike work, but I'm not interested in the fit with an xl stem.
Old 11-10-22, 09:43 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
This is about as big as production road frames go for size as said you can nicely go a couple inches higher on the seat post and get a larger set of ergo bars with modern levers should give you about 1- 2 inches effective size ones it has now seem a bit small for the frame size
Old 11-10-22, 11:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Why are you all working so hard to convince OP that they should keep a bike that doesn't fit them (and is just my size)? OP, it's not worth anything. If anything, it has a negative value, but, as a special favor to a fellow forum member, if you ship it to me, I'll dispose of it for you free of charge.

Seriously though, until I get my 62 cm 1988 Schwinn Voyageur build up, I am not in need of another bike (or project).

I'd say, when I was in the market, I probably wouldn't have gone over a couple hundred for a frameset like this, but I'm a cheapskate and would have been hoping to get a deal on a 531 frame with nice chrome and well-lined lugs, and you probably wouldn't have sold it to me.
Old 11-10-22, 01:39 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The subject bike was sold as a frameset only in the early 1980s. I own a 23" Gran Tour and can attest that the frame is gorgeous.

Old 11-13-22, 11:03 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
I paid $200 for a 54cm Gran Tour built up with high quality components. If there are only 4 frame sizes from 54 to 64, then you likely have the largest size. I wish mine was 62 ctc….

Last edited by Schreck83; 11-15-22 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-14-22, 02:45 PM
goldfront 

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
62ctc

This actually is a 62 ctc and I wish it was 64 ctc . The catalog must have measured ctt.

Originally Posted by Schreck83
I paid $200 for a 54” Gran Tour built up with high quality components. If there are only 4 frame sizes from 54 to 64, then you likely have the largest size. I wish mine was 62 ctc….

Last edited by goldfront; 11-14-22 at 02:49 PM.