Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My FnHon Gust 16" 2022

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

My FnHon Gust 16" 2022

Old 11-17-22, 03:43 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Coming along nicely. Are the Maxxis Hookworms and Swallows the same tire? They appear to have identical tread patterns.
Thanks...Same pattern, different size. These, the Deli Tire / Swallow 'Lizard', are wider at 2.125x16" (57-305) than the 1.95x16" Hookworms.

I've always thought the name Hookworm rather odd. Isn't it some intestinal parasitic ailment?

Last edited by Ron Damon; 11-17-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 04:36 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I've always thought the name Hookworm rather odd. Isn't it some intestinal parasitic ailment?
Yeah, my wife and I are involved with dog (English Setter) rescue and hookworm disease is pretty common in shelters here in the U.S. Pretty contagious too.
Old 11-17-22, 04:54 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Yeah, my wife and I are involved with dog (English Setter) rescue and hookworm disease is pretty common in shelters here in the U.S. Pretty contagious too.
Yeah... It's rather like that London folding bike outfit commissioning an exclusive tire and naming it the Charles Manson, the David Koresh or the Jim Jones. Quite fitting, but ultimately disturbing. 😂

Last edited by Ron Damon; 11-17-22 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 07:06 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
[photos of completed bicycle]
I forgot about this thread. Such a sweet color, this frame (and the fork as well!). I've never seen it on this frame anywhere else. Are there other new colors as well? I've seen the Rose Gold, shiny Titanium Silver, another silver that's more matte, plus the colors I originally saw them in (black, saffire-blue, garnet and emerald).

How much of a difference in 'toptube' length would you say the Gust 16" frame has, when compared with the Storm frame? It should be easy to find, just hold the measuring tape level while measuring from the center of the seatpost to the center of the headtube. I have a Dahon Speed (Fnhon Storm) but no Fnhon Gust 16 to compare it with.
Old 11-17-22, 07:37 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Nyah
I forgot about this thread. Such a sweet color, this frame (and the fork as well!). I've never seen it on this frame anywhere else. Are there other new colors as well? I've seen the Rose Gold, shiny Titanium Silver, another silver that's more matte, plus the colors I originally saw them in (black, saffire-blue, garnet and emerald).

This Sand Red color Gust belongs to the second release batch. They were still rim-brake and had a London-type front block which the pioneer batch lacked. They are now rather rare since the new ones are all disc-brake. This one was the stand out color from that generation, though the Blue Chameleon (which I own) and the Goldit were lookers too. You can pick one up from old-new stock these days for about $140. I've thought of scooping up these last remaining rim-brake stragglers, but my wife would kill me if I filled up the storage shed with even more bike gear. 😭

How much of a difference in 'toptube' length would you say the Gust 16" frame has, when compared with the Storm frame? It should be easy to find, just hold the measuring tape level while measuring from the center of the seatpost to the center of the headtube. I have a Dahon Speed (Fnhon Storm) but no Fnhon Gust 16 to compare it with.

Gust 16" top tube is 53.5cm while Storm top tube is 58.5cm as measured on my own specimens.
Answers embedded in the original text

FWIW, the total outlay for this custom build was about $625. That includes the three required parts not shown: Shimano chain, Ergon grips and Jagwire cabling. Not included is the $15 that I'll pay for outside labor for the installation of the chain and cabling for which I lack the tools and have little patience. All other assembly and installation was done by me.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 11-18-22 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 10:24 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Answers embedded in the original text

FWIW, the total outlay for this custom build was about $625. That includes the three required parts not shown: Shimano chain, Ergon grips and Jagwire cabling. Not included is the $15 that I'll pay for outside labor for the installation of the chain and cabling for which I lack the tools and have little patience. All other assembly and installation was done by me.
Thank you for the answers. The Gust thus needs a 2"/50mm extender to match the controls of the Storm. I'm all ready for that, now! To get one of the newer colors, as well as a model that has a truss-anchor built-in, I'll have to look beyond Taobao, apparently. I'm not so ready for that. Paypal option needed, ultimately.

As for the cost of piecing it together, yes, it's way better than paying for a complete bicycle and all the junk parts that come with it. The crankset that came with my Dahon Speed, for instance, weighs a ton.
Likes For Nyah: