Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where are the good drivers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 09:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts

Saw a couple more posts this morning that got me thinking.

Mozart with a thesaurus couldn't come up with any more variations on the theme of "The drivers where I live are psycho" than bikeforum posters.

So where are all the good drivers, compared to whom all the drivers here are bad drivers?
Old 11-18-22, 09:27 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

Mozart with a thesaurus couldn't come up with any more variations on the theme of "The drivers where I live are psycho" than bikeforum posters.

So where are all the good drivers, compared to whom all the drivers here are bad drivers?
Wherever you live or visit is where the bad drivers are. The good ones must be someplace else. This has applied wherever I have lived, and wherever I have visited, so it must be true. Though I will admit that drivers in Europe are considerably better than the average in the USA.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-18-22, 09:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

I'd guess that many of the "psycho drivers" posts come from very congested areas -- both because there are simply more motor vehicles, and because congestion + urban lifestyles might lead to more selfish and even aggressive behavior. But that's just speculation.

I've spent the past 20 years living in small rural cities, and some of the posts in A&S make me realize that our drivers are generally pretty congenial and safe. I've had only a handful of memorably negative encounters in almost 100k miles.
Old 11-18-22, 09:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
All the good drivers, are out on their bicycles!

Barry
Old 11-18-22, 09:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yeah, I am comfortable riding roads across my whole metro. I wont ride some roads just because the infrastructure isnt ideal for cycling(45mph 2 lane suburban) when a good road is 1 street away, but that isnt because of drivers, its really just because the road itself isnt ideal for bicycle use.
Paved country roads, gravel roads, in town sidestreets, in town main roads...I dont think twice about riding them and drivers seem just fine overall.

I have no more worse experiences with cars when riding a bike than I do when driving a car.
If you look for trouble and insults, you will find trouble and insults. If you are courteous and predictable, others are largely the same.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-18-22, 09:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
I'm not sure drivers in one place are any better or worse than drivers in any other place. Claims of city people having a different value system or behavior than country folk are dubious, at best. They're all human after all. What is different is the mental workload & complication of environment.

What I do see is that drivers in North America are set up for failure through poorly designed infrastructure designed on wrong priorities. Namely driver convenience, vehicle speed, coupled with exceedingly large safety margins. This begs for risky, self serving behavior based on false presumptions of risk.

Streets & roads must be designed to different standards. The problem is they are not & drivers behavior reflects that.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-18-22, 09:59 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
All it takes is one incident for someone to start complaining about drivers, but my Chicago experience has been exceptionally good: 3500 miles in the last two years and not a single jackass interaction. If anything they drive as if they are afraid of bikes, giving me wide berth and yielding to me when they should not.

I have driven all over the north and near west and south sides at all times and days, including commuting downtown during the rush hour right down State Street. One fly in the ointment has been new bike lanes, which are routinely used for parking, unenforced by the police, and so I don't generally use those streets. But that is a policing problem and all of my personal moving interactions with drivers have been good.

I do see lots of a**hole cyclists, however and have had some close calls with them. . . that's one reason I don't generally ride the lakefront bike path.

Last edited by mdarnton; 11-18-22 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 11-18-22, 10:03 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I have yet to be hit by any of the drivers in the other five households in my cul de sac, so I'd say "right here."
Old 11-18-22, 10:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Though I will admit that drivers in Europe are considerably better than the average in the USA.
Yes…I was going to say this, with regard to (road) cyclists, and their consideration by drivers. I’ve been out of the military for more than twenty years. But, I still consider my years stationed in southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy) and cycling there, were the most considerate and safest on the roads.

Dan
Old 11-18-22, 10:26 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
All it takes is one incident for someone to start complaining about drivers, but my Chicago experience has been exceptionally good: 3500 miles in the last two years and not a single jackass interaction. If anything they drive as if they are afraid of bikes, giving me wide berth and yielding to me when they should not.
Same here. Most drivers are reasonably good.... And yes, there are more than a few who like to stop and wave me on across, even when they have the right of way. The trouble is, the guy coming the other way at 40 MPH isn't stopping!
Old 11-18-22, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
*raises hand*
Old 11-18-22, 11:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Reckless driving is literally epidemic here as is stolen cars.
Out in front of my house. Clipped neighbor's tree, took out his mailbox, fire hydrant, and a 12" Ginko tree. Occupants nowhere to be found

https://www.wisn.com/article/wisn-12...demic/39997075
Old 11-18-22, 02:47 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I live in a huge city. For every hour I ride locally, I come within 50' of hundreds, if not thousands, of drivers. In that same hour, I see maybe 5 or so stupid, rude, or dangerous maneuvers. The good driver are there, but you don't notice them because they are being good drivers.
Old 11-18-22, 03:35 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
A couple of years ago, touring along Lake Erie, I found myself wondering why so many vehicle had compression brakes. Then I realized, they didn't, they were moving over for me and their left side tires were crossing the center rumble strip, and making a similar noise. A lot of cars moved over for little old me.
Old 11-18-22, 03:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
The "bad drivers" are always a small minority that leave an outsize impression. Frankly, my guess is the best drivers are the ones you never notice or at least not recall. No drama, no impression.

I have ridden in cities and rural areas all over the US, and I have never seen the level of hostility some NH drivers have towards cyclists anywhere else. I started riding in this state in the early 2000s, and I was really shocked by it at first.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-22, 04:03 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I will say this. In my observation the drivers are better (toward cyclists) where there are more cyclists on the road. I guess it come from drivers being used to seeing bikes on the road.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-18-22, 04:10 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 727 Posts
I rode about 2K miles in north Queens this year, and the group of drivers I see as most aware and communicative with cyclists are the MTA bus drivers. Yeah, I'm surprised too.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 11-18-22, 04:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Same here. Most drivers are reasonably good.... And yes, there are more than a few who like to stop and wave me on across, even when they have the right of way. The trouble is, the guy coming the other way at 40 MPH isn't stopping!
I generally prefer that we all follow the rules, though there are times when "the wave" is welcomed. When I am hanging out in a left turn lane, waiting for a break in oncoming traffic, I feel pretty vulnerable; when an oncoming motorist stops and waves me through, I do appreciate it. And that situation entails no risk for me, since all oncoming traffic is then stopped.
Old 11-18-22, 06:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Yes…I was going to say this, with regard to (road) cyclists, and their consideration by drivers. I’ve been out of the military for more than twenty years. But, I still consider my years stationed in southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy) and cycling there, were the most considerate and safest on the roads.

Dan
Rode in Italy and have to agree (other than major metro areas) the drivers there are super considerate to cyclists.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-18-22, 06:54 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts

I have driven all over the north and near west and south sides at all times and days, including commuting downtown during the rush hour right down State Street. One fly in the ointment has been new bike lanes, which are routinely used for parking, unenforced by the police, and so I don't generally use those streets. But that is a policing problem and all of my personal moving interactions with drivers have been good.

I do see lots of a**hole cyclists, however and have had some close calls with them. . . that's one reason I don't generally ride the lakefront bike path.

I too, am a Chicago rider and echo these sentiments entirely!

tm
Old 11-19-22, 09:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
With the unicorns and Sasquatch.
Old 11-20-22, 09:53 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
I do see lots of a**hole cyclists, however and have had some close calls with them. ..
Never attribute to malice what can so easily be explained by incompetence.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-20-22, 01:14 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Never attribute to malice what can so easily be explained by incompetence.
I rate inattention to the spatial requirements of the people around you as being functionally equal to malice in that the person has made a choice to not consider their effects on others. Unless they want to own up to just being stupid, in which case I might cut them some slack.
Old 11-20-22, 03:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I rode about 2K miles in north Queens this year, and the group of drivers I see as most aware and communicative with cyclists are the MTA bus drivers. Yeah, I'm surprised too.
I noticed when I used to be a frequent mass transit user that different bus systems seem to have very different cultures and norms. When I was riding buses all over the Bay Area, I noticed that bus drivers in the Oakland/East Bay bus system were generally better drivers and more considerate of passengers than SF Muni drivers. I don't know if that's still true, but the differences were not subtle.
Old 11-20-22, 03:22 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Same here. Most drivers are reasonably good....
Have drivers improved that much since 2015?Expedia Road Rage Report 2015

"Nearly all Americans (97%) rate themselves as “careful” drivers, but feel that only 29% of fellow drivers merit the description."

And yes, there are more than a few who like to stop and wave me on across, even when they have the right of way.
Members of BF hate those kind of people. They call them nicetards. I'd rather encounter a nicetard than a roadrager who refuse acknowledge your right of way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.