Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A replacement for discontinued Shimano BR-M465

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-26-22, 07:45 AM
Marcin.81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all

Would you be able to recommend a disc calliper similar to Shimano Deore BR-M465 please?

That model is discontinued already. The model allows to adjust pads position on both sides.

Many thanksMarcin
Old 11-26-22, 10:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Economical: Avid BB7

Less economical: TRP Spyke

Stupidly expensive but oh so gorgeous!: Paul Klamper

All three have pad adjustment on both sides and all three have road versions. The Klampers can even be converted from long pull to short pull by changing the arm
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-26-22, 12:04 PM
Marcin.81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you cyccommute, I've forgotten to mention the caliper is for MTB and not for road bike. I'm not completely sure but these three calipers mentioned look like they are road bike callipers?

Would you know by aby chance of some MTB calipers with both sides pads adjustments?

Many thanks
Marcin
Old 11-26-22, 12:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcin.81
Thank you cyccommute, I've forgotten to mention the caliper is for MTB and not for road bike. I'm not completely sure but these three calipers mentioned look like they are road bike callipers?

Would you know by aby chance of some MTB calipers with both sides pads adjustments?

Many thanks
Marcin
All of the calipers cyccommute listed are long pull which would generally be found on a mountain bike. The Paul Klamper is adjustable with different arms so you can use it for Short, Long or Campy pull and the BB7 has a mountain variety (the wrong one was linked initially) but like you see they have a road variant as well and the Spyke is mountain only, if you ever wanted road that is the Spyre.

For dual piston that would be the Spyke but Paul says their Klamper is better because it is a single piston design and trying to do two pistons would make a really huge brake. I can see what he is saying and I do generally love Paul components and use a bunch of them on different bikes but I am not sure if the single piston is better than the dual piston of the Spyre/Spyke but maybe one day I might get to try the Klampers long term.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-26-22, 12:14 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts

Many thanks
Marcin
The 3 cyccommute posted are sold in road (short pull) and mountain (long pull). The BB7 and Klampers use the same name, the road TRP is labeled Spyre.

Edit: veganbikes beat me.
Likes For katsup:
Old 11-26-22, 12:29 PM
Marcin.81

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all. I got it 😉
Likes For Marcin.81:
Old 11-26-22, 12:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by katsup
The 3 cyccommute posted are sold in road (short pull) and mountain (long pull). The BB7 and Klampers use the same name, the road TRP is labeled Spyre.

Edit: veganbikes beat me.
Old 11-26-22, 12:39 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
All of the calipers cyccommute listed are long pull which would generally be found on a mountain bike. The Paul Klamper is adjustable with different arms so you can use it for Short, Long or Campy pull and the BB7 has a mountain variety (the wrong one was linked initially) but like you see they have a road variant as well and the Spyke is mountain only, if you ever wanted road that is the Spyre.

For dual piston that would be the Spyke but Paul says their Klamper is better because it is a single piston design and trying to do two pistons would make a really huge brake. I can see what he is saying and I do generally love Paul components and use a bunch of them on different bikes but I am not sure if the single piston is better than the dual piston of the Spyre/Spyke but maybe one day I might get to try the Klampers long term.
I couldn’t get spyres to give me the kind of braking I wanted so I replaced them with klampers, there was a night and day difference between the two.

The flip side is the bike internet loves spyres and they can’t all be wrong
Old 11-26-22, 06:02 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Many thanks
Marcin
My fault. I meant to say that all of those calipers were available in road versions as well. To be clear, they are available in both mountain and road versions.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-26-22, 06:06 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I couldn’t get spyres to give me the kind of braking I wanted so I replaced them with klampers, there was a night and day difference between the two.

The Spykes I had worked okay but I don’t like the pad adjusters. They use a 3mm Allen aluminum pad adjuster which is far too easy to strip out. I changed my Spykes for BB7 on my dual suspension bike.

I have Klampers on 3 bikes which I like but, honestly, I’m not sure they are vastly superior to Avid’s BB7. They look great and they work great but I’m not sure they perform nearly 3 times better ($100 vs $250 per caliper).

Old 11-26-22, 06:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

Yeah pretty much I love my Spyres but I know plenty of folks who love their Klampers I wish I could build two bikes identically to try them out side by side but I think my next bike with disc brakes is going to be again hydraulic.
Old 11-26-22, 09:28 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by cyccommute
...I have Klampers on 3 bikes which I like but, honestly, I’m not sure they are vastly superior to Avid’s BB7. They look great and they work great but I’m not sure they perform nearly 3 times better ($100 vs $250 per caliper).
I have a bike with Klampers and BB7 as well. The klampers I trust more on steep technical downhills and don't feel the same security on the BB7. Although, the bikes are rather different.

While I'd agree with you that klampers may not be worth 3x the cost, I'd have difficulty trusting BB7s with some riding.
Old 11-26-22, 10:40 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by katsup
I have a bike with Klampers and BB7 as well. The klampers I trust more on steep technical downhills and don't feel the same security on the BB7. Although, the bikes are rather different.

While I'd agree with you that klampers may not be worth 3x the cost, I'd have difficulty trusting BB7s with some riding.
I used BB7s a lot prior to the Klampers. Never had a problem with them nor thought they were going to fail me. But I don’t have any problem with any kind of brake.

Old 11-26-22, 10:55 PM
katsup

I used BB7s a lot prior to the Klampers. Never had a problem with them nor thought they were going to fail me. But I don’t have any problem with any kind of brake.
I haven't had the BB7 fail me either, but the stopping power feels stronger with my Klampers and I am more confident with them. Just not 3x as stronger.
Old 11-26-22, 11:44 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Juin Tech M1 or Motoko MTB are cable actuated hydraulic brakes for MTB. Not exactly cheap, but more or less do what you asked for: the two pads can extend by a different amount.
Make sense for road levers (I think it was katsup whose post prompted me to upgrade to Juin Tech R1), for MTB you can probably just go full hydraulic.
Since we are mentioning Klampers, it probably makes sense to mention Juin Tech M1 as well
Old 11-27-22, 12:52 AM
katsup

Originally Posted by csport
Juin Tech M1 or Motoko MTB are cable actuated hydraulic brakes for MTB. Not exactly cheap, but more or less do what you asked for: the two pads can extend by a different amount.
Make sense for road levers (I think it was katsup whose post prompted me to upgrade to Juin Tech R1), for MTB you can probably just go full hydraulic.
Since we are mentioning Klampers, it probably makes sense to mention Juin Tech M1 as well
Those Juin Tech R1s are still working great on my commuter. They have a little over 4500 miles on them now. They work much better than BB7s in a drop bar setup as they helped with the lever pull when I was mending a broken wrist. I didn't think of them as OP wanted the ability to adjust pads separately vs combined, but they are a good option.

Another option that is rather new is from Growtac, which got good reviews, but are also expensive. Pass Less Pedaled did a video comparing them to Klamper and Juin Tech (Yokozuna), but his verdict was basically all are good.
Old 11-27-22, 07:50 AM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I have installed and used the Spyre, BB7, Tektro, Shimano, etc. etc. etc. The mechanical brakes seem to preform much the same, provided one sticks with a known quality brand such as Avid, Spyre, Shimano, etal, and not the low end junk from Formula and others like them. As for adjustment, the BB7 is likely the easiest to adjust, however the two sided action of brakes like the Spyre makes for quick adjustment as well.
Only one complaint about Spyre brakes has been already mentioned. The 2.5mm pad adjuster. Does not instill confidence at all, and cannot be ham-fisted in any manner. If you ride in foul environments on a full-time basis, that 2.5mm adjuster can become a problem due to corrosion. Discovered this on my son's commuter bike, and for this reason I have a set of BB7's sitting in a box waiting for a frame to install them on. Doubt I will ever do it since rim brakes work just fine for me. Anyone need a BB7 caliper set?
Old 11-27-22, 02:24 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Isn't Avid BB7 SRAM? Shimano and SRAM can't be mixed as Shimano uses mineral oil and SRAM uses DOT fluid.
Old 11-27-22, 02:26 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Lombard
Isn't Avid BB7 SRAM? Shimano and SRAM can't be mixed as Shimano uses mineral oil and SRAM uses DOT fluid.
The question is about mechanical disc brakes.

Old 11-27-22, 03:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Lombard
I am sure this has got to be a joke, right? You linked to a cable brake that lists it in the title. In terms of most hydraulic brakes you would be correct but these are all cable brakes and the first Shimano disc brake did use DOT fluid and SRAMs latest brake which is an entry level brake does use mineral oil.
Old 11-27-22, 04:36 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
The question is about mechanical disc brakes.
Ooops! My bad! Too much tryptophan consumption this weekend.