Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Old 11-30-22, 02:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I guess it works, but my training stress doesn’t seem high enough

I look at HR in big efforts to see how I’m handling it typically but otherwise just use power. What’s odd for me is that cycling at 170-175 bpm feels far more taxing on my system then if I was running at the same. Like nearly puke inducing
Running HR is known to be higher across the range of effort. More muscle mass recruited or something.
Old 11-30-22, 02:34 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
All this trainer talk is making me crave some stroopwaffel, camera, and knife talk.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 11-30-22, 02:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
RIP Christine McVie
Old 11-30-22, 02:51 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13643 Post(s)
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
All this trainer talk is making me crave some stroopwaffel, camera, and knife talk.
NPAOTD

This was in the showroom, when I dropped the SportWagen off for service today.

Likes For rjones28:
Old 11-30-22, 02:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Jackie is admiring some of mrs datlas’ recent paintings.

Old 11-30-22, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Well, power is more closely tied to effort and has no delay, but HR is gives a read on how you're responding, so they're both useful. I guess which one you use to pace steady state workouts depends on whether you'd rather know what you're doing or how you're responding to it. I tend to rely more on HR when I'm not feeling great. I don't have power on my commuting bike anyway.
I was appalled by my HR during exploratory trainer efforts as I've ridding the cold, flu, and strep rollercoaster over the last month. The first couple of of rides, when I thought I was getting better, my HR just shot up to, and parked in, the low-170s, which never happens in real life. The RPE wasn't horrible, though my output was significantly lower than RPE would have lead me to believe. Yesterday, my two short rides were back to the realm of normal, though not terribly fit. I'll take that as a win, though.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-30-22, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
Yeah, the issue is that when I am doing a "real" ride I can bridge a gap or nail a climb by going from 85-90% of FTP up to maybe 100-110% of FTP for 30s, and I am fine....

The problem on Zwift is that it exaggerates the benefits of drafting, so in order to bridge a gap in the fake world I have to go up to say 120-140% of FTP to bridge a gap...and then once I get on with the group, I struggle to stay with them.

Long story short, it feels like the world of Zwift forces me to burn big matches while in the real world they are small matches or maybe even just little sparks.

#FirstWorldProblems
I think that efforts also just feel different on the trainer - without a PM, it's hard to say that the same RPE, inside vs outside, yields the same outputs. Then there's also the (lack of) oxygen delivery inside, which might be hampering your recovery between efforts.
Old 11-30-22, 03:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think that efforts also just feel different on the trainer - without a PM, it's hard to say that the same RPE, inside vs outside, yields the same outputs. Then there's also the (lack of) oxygen delivery inside, which might be hampering your recovery between efforts.
Yeah. Bottom line is the trainer kinda sucks, but may be a necessary evil to be taken in small doses. That’s my feeling, at least.
Old 11-30-22, 03:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10248 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
NPAOTD

This was in the showroom, when I dropped the SportWagen off for service today.

Back when I was working at Genentech, co-founder Herb Boyer used to drop by sometimes and park his Testarossa out in front, where it induced envy and drooling.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-30-22, 03:16 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
How about shop talk?

I snagged a Veritas low angle block plane during the Lee Valley seconds sale a month ago. Nice little thing.

I picked up a Rikon benchtop band saw a few weeks ago. Menards had it $100 cheaper than everyone else and they had an 11% mail in rebate on top of that, so I couldn't resist. It's small, but not a toy - it'll give me the ability to cut some curves and re-saw up to 5" stock, which will be nice for some boxes, among other things.

I also had an adventure with the planer that I bought during black Friday last year. Turns out it had a problem and the manufacturer had issued a soft recall that I was unaware of. I found out about it once I noticed the problem and went searching online to remedy it. In the end, I returned if for the full purchase price and the dealer, Woodcraft, gave me 15% off of a replacement. I'm really happy with the replacement - it's a essentially the same chassis as the planer that I'd returned, but it has a factory-standard Byrd Shelix head and a Wixey digital readout - both are excellent (a problem with the cutter head of the previous machine was the reason for the recall - the Byrd head is leagues better).

Last edited by WhyFi; 11-30-22 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-30-22, 03:19 PM
WhyFi

Yeah. Bottom line is the trainer kinda sucks, but may be a necessary evil to be taken in small doses. That’s my feeling, at least.
Well, the good news is that relative gains on the trainer seem to translate pretty well to the road.

...and, unfortunately, I live in a part of the world where I need more than small doses.
Old 11-30-22, 03:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
RIP Christine McVie
Beat me to it. Saw the Tusk tour at the Spectrum in ‘79.
Old 11-30-22, 03:35 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,275 Times in 3,460 Posts
How about shop talk?

I snagged a Veritas low angle block plane during the Lee Valley seconds sale a month ago. Nice little thing.

I picked up a Rikon benchtop band saw a few weeks ago. Menards had it $100 cheaper than everyone else and they had an 11% mail in rebate on top of that, so I couldn't resist. It's small, but not a toy - it'll give me the ability to cut some curves and re-saw up to 5" stock, which will be nice for some boxes, among other things.

I also had an adventure with the planer that I bought during black Friday last year. Turns out it had a problem and the manufacturer had issued a soft recall that I was unaware of. I found out about it once I noticed the problem and went searching online to remedy it. In the end, I returned if for the full purchase price and the dealer, Woodcraft, gave me 15% off of a replacement. I'm really happy with the replacement - it's a essentially the same chassis as the planer that I'd returned, but it has a factory-standard Byrd Shelix head and a Wixey digital readout - both are excellent (a problem with the cutter head of the previous machine was the reason for the recall - the Byrd head is leagues better).
How about kitchen talk? The kids got some Shun knives with Damascus blades as a wedding gift. Are those good knives?

I don't know a thing about Japanese knives.

I do know that my SIL told my daughter that she may not use them (he's the cook).
Old 11-30-22, 03:37 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
RIP Christine McVie
Davide Rebellin

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-30-22, 03:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

COVID report: I stayed in bed all day yesterday dozing and occasionally some reading which induced more dozing. Then, slept 10 hours last night. Sore throat and earaches are gone mainly have a non-stop runny nose.

Wife tested negative but I don’t trust her. I was asleep when she tested and she threw her test away before I could see it. I figure that she doesn’t want to isolate.

I did a short, flat and slow spin around lunch and felt the same as riding with a minor cold. I think I’ll survive.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-30-22, 03:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
Back when I was working at Genentech, co-founder Herb Boyer used to drop by sometimes and park his Testarossa out in front, where it induced envy and drooling.
I have only ridden in a Ferrari once, and that was a 308 back in the '80s.

When my son was in Italy studying abroad, he was in Modena after going through the Ferrari museum, when someone on the street asked if he wanted to drive a 488 Spider. He jumped on it, and got to drive it around town for about 100 euros.

Yesterday, I took the Taycan out for the first time in a few weeks. Some young guy popped into my office asking whose car it is, and whether he could take pictures. He explained that he is a big fan and gear head, but has never seen a Taycan in the wild. Ended up taking a bunch of pictures with his cell.

Today, I drove it again. A fire marshal was doing the annual inspection of our office park, and when he came into mine asked all about the car. He was more interested in that than he was interested in the expired fire extinguisher and whether the emergency lights were working.

Neither of those types of things ever happens around here.
Old 11-30-22, 03:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Mojo31
How about kitchen talk? The kids got some Shun knives with Damascus blades as a wedding gift. Are those good knives?

I don't know a thing about Japanese knives.

I do know that my SIL told my daughter that she may not use them (he's the cook).
Speaking of kitchen talk, this weekend I made a nice, gelatinous stock from the turkey carcass, which I used to make Leftover Turkey and Andouille Gumbo. This is it, the next day, fresh out of the fridge.

Definitely not kidding about the gelatinous stock.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-22, 03:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

Speaking of which, we were joking about Thanksgiving dishes a couple of weeks ago with some friends. Next time they come over, it seems that I'm going to have to make a green jello salad.

My wife, being from south Louisiana, makes a great gumbo.
Old 11-30-22, 04:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have only ridden in a Ferrari once, and that was a 308 back in the '80s.

When my son was in Italy studying abroad, he was in Modena after going through the Ferrari museum, when someone on the street asked if he wanted to drive a 488 Spider. He jumped on it, and got to drive it around town for about 100 euros.

Yesterday, I took the Taycan out for the first time in a few weeks. Some young guy popped into my office asking whose car it is, and whether he could take pictures. He explained that he is a big fan and gear head, but has never seen a Taycan in the wild. Ended up taking a bunch of pictures with his cell.

Today, I drove it again. A fire marshal was doing the annual inspection of our office park, and when he came into mine asked all about the car. He was more interested in that than he was interested in the expired fire extinguisher and whether the emergency lights were working.

Neither of those types of things ever happens around here.
My niece's husband has done well for himself in medical devices. Got himself a 308 GTS, because Magnum. Last time he brought it up to The Ancestral Home, when I was there, he did NOT offer free rides/drives in it.

They inherited Dad's Citroen DS21 Pallas, which had been sitting for probably 20 years. It's apparently restored, but she's a little afraid to drive it - which is funny, because when I was 17, I got to drive it to school for like 6 weeks while Dad was recovering from hernia surgery. It's not hard to drive! Just pretend there's a clutch when you're shifting, remember the pattern

and don't stomp too hard on the brake pedal mushroom.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-22, 04:02 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

RIP Christine McVie
Wow! I just yesterday saw pic of the band and she wasn't in it.
Old 11-30-22, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Speaking of which, we were joking about Thanksgiving dishes a couple of weeks ago with some friends. Next time they come over, it seems that I'm going to have to make a green jello salad.
Back when I was a ute, our church had Fellowship Suppers, which were potlucks, every couple months. It was the 60s, so there were always at least 3 or 4 jello molds. Shredded carrots, canned fruit cocktail, etc. I personally liked the one with canned pear halves.

My wife, being from south Louisiana, makes a great gumbo.
No doubt! I, being from Pennsylvania, only serve my gumbo to people who don't know any better.

Old 11-30-22, 04:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

LesterOfPuppets

Annual calendar just arrived. Always great photos.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-30-22, 04:07 PM
seedsbelize2

How about shop talk?

Yeah, that'll do. My first plane ever was a bevel up block plane. I bought it at a closeout sale probably 30 years ago. It's not quite my most used plane.
Old 11-30-22, 04:09 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I’ve been riding with a retired UP engineer. Do you think he’d be excited over my UP1202 pic?

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 11-30-22 at 04:15 PM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-30-22, 04:09 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Beat me to it. Saw the Tusk tour at the Spectrum in ‘79.
Saw the Buckingham/Nix tours many times, in the mid 70s. And once with Bob Welch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.