Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 12:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A whole lotta fun?
On the advice of counsel ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-10-23, 12:52 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
And this is what bf has come to: arguments about disc vs rim brakes, and hookers in Dubai.
It was inevitable.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, and just like those deleted hooker threads, disc brakes will disappear without a trace once people see them for what they really are.
We also need blackjack threads! In fact, forget about the brakes:
Old 01-10-23, 12:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Wow... lots of shaming of rim brake proponents here. Not a very inclusive discussion.

Rim brake proponents are being called out for being:
  • Luddites (anti-tech)
  • Inexperienced (with new tech)
  • C&V fans (worst than Luddites)
  • Conspiracy theorists (stick it to the man!)
  • Delusional
  • Etc.
However, the best rim brake proponents (me and Chris Froome) want rim-brake tech because it is simply better, regardless of cost:
  • It is a lot lighter, particularly due to the frame and fork design that doesn't have to support disc-brake forces
  • The wheels are lighter, due to not having to deal with greater braking forces.
  • The rim-brake forks are more compliant, due to not having to be bulked up for disc braking forces
  • Rim brake wheels are more aero
  • Rim brakes don't slice you or your pals in a crash
  • Rim brakes are cheaper and a lot easier to work on.
So there you go. Yes, I have a high-end road bike with discs. It is a boat anchor compared to the same rim brake bike but 2 years older. I work on discs almost every time I'm in the shop. I have $15k to spend on a new bike; going rim brake with Di2 Dura-Ace. Got all the parts I need, except the frame.
You have clearly convinced yourself that rim brakes are better. You do you, man.

That said, I'm not so sure all your "facts" are factual.
Old 01-10-23, 01:01 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Except for better braking performance ("the action or process of carrying out or accomplishing an action, task, or function.")
Nope.

Like I said, I can already launch myself over the bars by activating my left lever with one finger while riding the hoods. Please explain how my brakes are going to get better.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-10-23, 01:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
For the most part, a couple posters have been called out for spewing imaginary nonsense about disc brakes.
Like implications that we are going to die if we don’t use discs? While I don’t agree that discs cause any balance issues, they do introduce problems we haven’t seen before like a front wheel that is dished as well as reducing the bracing angle…and strength…of the rear wheel. The ever wider hubs and frames are answers to these introduced problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-10-23, 01:03 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You do you, man.
Words to live by.
Old 01-10-23, 01:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Nope.

Like I said, I can already launch myself over the bars by activating my left lever with one finger while riding the hoods. Please explain how my brakes are going to get better.
You've actually done this? Maybe you should learn braking control and learn to shift your body weight back when braking.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-10-23, 01:12 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by big john
You've actually done this? Maybe you should learn braking control and learn to shift your body weight back when braking.
Still waiting for an answer to my question...
Old 01-10-23, 01:17 PM
big john

Still waiting for an answer to my question...
Clearly if you are launching yourself over the bars you don't need stronger brakes,
Old 01-10-23, 01:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Nope.

Personally, I choose brake evaluation methods that don't involve potential injury to myself.

From my own experience, as an owner of bikes with various braking systems...When comparing my two MTBs (one with v-brakes, one with disc brakes), I can lock up either wheel on either bike whenever I want, but locking up isn't generally an effective approach to braking, especially when things are at their most demanding. What I have found is that the disc brake system requires less lever force, and - more importantly - provides more consistent modulation performance in a wider variety of conditions. Dirty and wet rims from stream crossings don't affect disc brake performance. On a ride with some friends a few months ago, I had a rock bounce up during a decent and break a spoke in my rear wheel. If I was on my v-brake bike, this likely would have meant releasing the brake, and having to make a very careful journey back home. On my disc brake bike, I removed the broken spoke sections from the rim and hub, and finished the last 5 miles of our ride at full pace. My braking performance was unaffected by the wobble of the rear wheel.
Old 01-10-23, 01:31 PM
big john

Personally, I choose brake evaluation methods that don't involve potential injury to myself.

From my own experience, as an owner of bikes with various braking systems...When comparing my two MTBs (one with v-brakes, one with disc brakes), I can lock up either wheel on either bike whenever I want, but locking up isn't generally an effective approach to braking, especially when things are at their most demanding. What I have found is that the disc brake system requires less lever force, and - more importantly - provides more consistent modulation performance in a wider variety of conditions. Dirty and wet rims from stream crossings don't affect disc brake performance. On a ride with some friends a few months ago, I had a rock bounce up during a decent and break a spoke in my rear wheel. If I was on my v-brake bike, this likely would have meant releasing the brake, and having to make a very careful journey back home. On my disc brake bike, I removed the broken spoke sections from the rim and hub, and finished the last 5 miles of our ride at full pace. My braking performance was unaffected by the wobble of the rear wheel.
When I got my first set of v-brakes I thought they were awesome. I rode down the Gabrielino in a wet year and the pads were trashed by the end and the lever pulled all the way back to the bar. I'd still use them again, depending on the bike.

I remember coming down Angeles Crest during the AC Century in a driving rain on my CAAD5. That thick, black slurry created by the rims grinding away was all over everything, including me. That was a day for discs. Or for someone more fearless than I.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-10-23, 01:32 PM
smd4

It works for you. Awesome.

But the answer to my question is this: Disc brakes would provide absolutely no discernable, tangle benefits to me (emphasis added, because lots of people don't know that this phrase is understood when espousing personal opinions). Disc brakes are laden with a plethora of undesirable features,for me. I don't ride a mountain bike, and I don't ride in rainy or wet conditions. If and when I ever get a bike that I plan on using for such conditions, I'd have no problem using disc brakes--and the way it's going, it sounds like I won't have a choice anyway (however, my experience in hearing such things may be subject to debate. But I digress). As it stands now, only owning a Cinelli road racing bike, there is simply zero benefit, to me, of using disc brakes.
Old 01-10-23, 01:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

When I got my first set of v-brakes I thought they were awesome..
Compared to cantilevers, they were - LOL
Old 01-10-23, 01:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Nope.

This is typical of the exaggeration that discredits the rim brake proponents. It is factually incorrect if you are seated normally on your bicycle.
Old 01-10-23, 01:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

But the answer to my question is this: Disc brakes would provide absolutely no discernable, tangle benefits to me (emphasis added, because lots of people don't know that this phrase is understood when espousing personal opinions). Disc brakes are laden with a plethora of undesirable features,for me. I don't ride a mountain bike, and I don't ride in rainy or wet conditions. If and when I ever get a bike that I plan on using for such conditions, I'd have no problem using disc brakes--and the way it's going, it sounds like I won't have a choice (however, my experience in hearing such things may be subject to debate. But I digress). As it stands now, only owning a Cinelli road racing bike, there is simply zero benefit, to me, of using disc brakes.
On the road, under dry conditions, the performance gap between rim and disc brakes narrows. Personally, I'm fine with the rim brakes on my #1 road bike until it comes to a time to upgrade that bike (which isn't in the foreseeable future for me). I don't think anyone is saying that disc brakes are a perfect solution. There are certainly compromises and adaptations that have needed to be made to accommodate them in modern bicycles, and it certainly can be debated on whether those are actually improvements to the machine.

As I have commented before, my single issue was your initial statement that disc brakes are on/off and lack modulation, and how significantly it differed from my experiences with disc brakes.
Old 01-10-23, 01:46 PM
tomato coupe

But the answer to my question is this: Disc brakes would provide absolutely no discernable, tangle benefits to me (emphasis added, because lots of people don't know that this phrase is understood when espousing personal opinions). Disc brakes are laden with a plethora of undesirable features,for me. I don't ride a mountain bike, and I don't ride in rainy or wet conditions. If and when I ever get a bike that I plan on using for such conditions, I'd have no problem using disc brakes--and the way it's going, it sounds like I won't have a choice anyway (however, my experience in hearing such things may be subject to debate. But I digress). As it stands now, only owning a Cinelli road racing bike, there is simply zero benefit, to me, of using disc brakes.
You have a short memory. You basically lit this dumpster fire with the following:
Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, they provide little modulation, and are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-10-23, 01:52 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Wow... lots of shaming of rim brake proponents here. Not a very inclusive discussion.

Rim brake proponents are being called out for being:
  • Luddites (anti-tech)
  • Inexperienced (with new tech)
  • C&V fans (worst than Luddites)
  • Conspiracy theorists (stick it to the man!)
  • Delusional
  • Etc.
However, the best rim brake proponents (me and Chris Froome) want rim-brake tech because it is simply better, regardless of cost:
  • It is a lot lighter, particularly due to the frame and fork design that doesn't have to support disc-brake forces
  • The wheels are lighter, due to not having to deal with greater braking forces.
  • The rim-brake forks are more compliant, due to not having to be bulked up for disc braking forces
  • Rim brake wheels are more aero
  • Rim brakes don't slice you or your pals in a crash
  • Rim brakes are cheaper and a lot easier to work on.
So there you go. Yes, I have a high-end road bike with discs. It is a boat anchor compared to the same rim brake bike but 2 years older. I work on discs almost every time I'm in the shop. I have $15k to spend on a new bike; going rim brake with Di2 Dura-Ace. Got all the parts I need, except the frame.
I forgot a few more road disc-brake downsides, apart from them being heavy, fussy and unnecessary:
  • Extra space on the front hub required for the rotor attachments. This introduces dish on the front wheel and means a weaker build, all things being equal. Plus you need 2 different lengths of spokes for building front wheels - a minor PITA, but still a PITA.
  • Extra space on the rear wheel for the rotor attachments. This is not a trivial problem, as spoke bracing angles and rear hub flange spacing dimensions have gotten so extreme now, that rear wheels are simply weak and unstable. So we have to go with wider stay spacing, which means more heel strike. And wider crankset Q-factor, biomechanically inefficient.
  • Thru-axles. What an absurd PITA! With a QR, you flip the lever and the wheel drops out, just like Tullio Campagnolo meant it to happen. With discs, which tend to eject front wheels, you need a more robust and idiot-proof solution. So now we interminably twiddle away with our thru-axles, and forget them at the trailhead. Of course, there are 20 different thru-axle 'standards'. BTW: thru-axles are not axles, as they do not bear load. They are simply wheel retention devices for riders who cannot be trusted to use a proper QR. Lawyers win this round!
Old 01-10-23, 01:55 PM
big john

I forgot a few more road disc-brake downsides, apart from them being heavy, fussy and unnecessary:
  • Extra space on the front hub required for the rotor attachments. This introduces dish on the front wheel and means a weaker build, all things being equal. Plus you need 2 different lengths of spokes for building front wheels - a minor PITA, but still a PITA.
  • Extra space on the rear wheel for the rotor attachments. This is not a trivial problem, as spoke bracing angles and rear hub flange spacing dimensions have gotten so extreme now, that rear wheels are simply weak and unstable. So we have to go with wider stay spacing, which means more heel strike. And wider crankset Q-factor, biomechanically inefficient.
  • Thru-axles. What an absurd PITA! With a QR, you flip the lever and the wheel drops out, just like Tullio Campagnolo meant it to happen. With discs, which tend to eject front wheels, you need a more robust and idiot-proof solution. So now we interminably twiddle away with our thru-axles, and forget them at the trailhead. Of course, there are 20 different thru-axle 'standards'. BTW: thru-axles are not axles, as they do not bear load. They are simply wheel retention devices for riders who cannot be trusted to use a proper QR. Lawyers win this round!
Don't sugar coat it, Dave. Tell us how you really feel.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-10-23, 02:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Don't sugar coat it, Dave. Tell us how you really feel.
I think he's still trying to convince himself. I'm doubtful that anyone else's opinion is changing.
Old 01-10-23, 02:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Thru-axles. What an absurd PITA!
If you ever ride a QR bike with discs, you'll understand why thru-axles are a godsend. Precisely and consistently locating the axle in the frame makes aligning the rotor with the caliper nearly foolproof.

Funny how none of the "downsides" seem very important or at all likely. Throwing off a front wheel? A weak and unstable rear wheel? Heel strike? Inefficient Q-factor? I have to say, none of these have ever come up, occurred, or crossed my mind in all the years I've had disc brakes. But they do make for compelling "Chicken Little" content, I'll give you that.

Last edited by Rolla; 01-10-23 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-10-23, 02:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Rolla
If you ever ride a QR bike with discs, you'll understand why thru-axles are a godsend. Precisely and consistently locating the axle in the frame makes aligning the rotor with the caliper nearly foolproof.
I believe Mr. Mayer would consider the need to be precise and consistent to be a flaw in the system.
Old 01-10-23, 02:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I eliminated the source of this quote because it's only one of so many it was waay too much work to multi-quote.

If you didn't fall for that propaganda about freewheels you wouldn't need brakes at all. And while we're at it, if you hadn't fallen to that siren song that is pneumatic tires, you wouldn't need removable valves, sealant or inflators. Get off of my lawn.
The internet provides:

What Is the Straw Man Argument?
Straw man argument is a flawed line of reasoning that occurs when someone substitutes an opposing argument with a distorted, oversimplified, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of it in order to make it easier to defeat.

As such, this fallacy takes the following logical form:

Person 1 makes an argument X.
Person B creates a distorted version of person A’s argument (the “straw man”).
Person B attacks the distorted version of argument X.
Typically, it gives the impression of being a reasonable counter to the original claim, but in reality, it attacks a position or view that their opponent doesn’t really hold. Moreover, the claim may be distorted by taking it out of context, focusing only on a single aspect of it, or being only remotely related to it.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-10-23 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 02:12 PM
tomato coupe

BTW: thru-axles are not axles, as they do not bear load. They are simply wheel retention devices for riders who cannot be trusted to use a proper QR. Lawyers win this round!
This is clearly the best reason to stay away from disc brakes -- the name of the retention device is offensive!!
Old 01-10-23, 02:15 PM
big john

I think he's still trying to convince himself. I'm doubtful that anyone else's opinion is changing.
I wonder if anyone changes their opinions in these long, drawn out threads? Let's get this one up to 700 posts to see!
Old 01-10-23, 02:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I wonder if anyone changes their opinions in these long, drawn out threads? Let's get this one up to 700 posts to see!
I had my opinion on hybrids and hybrid riders changed recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.