Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 03:32 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
What I find hilarious is the guy who will pay $14k for a 16lb bike but he’s 30 pounds overweight!
Old 01-14-23, 03:37 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
i have one of the bikes being bandied about here - an s-works aethos with 12 speed DA. i ride it to and from work a couple days a week, three or four rides for riding’s sake every week, around 500 miles a month. i don’t “baby” it (it sees rough roads, some gravel, dirt, sand, rain, etc) but i don’t bang it around or lock it up outside the grocery store.

at the rate it’s going, i’ll probably sell it in 5 or 10 years, and the difference in life cycle cost per mile will be a nickel or something. i enjoy the hell out of the bike almost every day, love riding it, it makes me want to ride more, so it’s “worth” it to me. i’m sure i’d also love the less expensive trims of the same bike, but the difference in cost is really marginal over the life cycle of the bike.
Old 01-14-23, 03:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver
What I find hilarious is the guy who will pay $14k for a 16lb bike but he’s 30 pounds overweight!
What I find hilarious is the guy that cares how much someone else spends on their bike and how much they weigh.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-14-23, 03:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i have one of the bikes being bandied about here - an s-works aethos with 12 speed DA. i ride it to and from work a couple days a week, three or four rides for riding’s sake every week, around 500 miles a month. i don’t “baby” it (it sees rough roads, some gravel, dirt, sand, rain, etc) but i don’t bang it around or lock it up outside the grocery store.

at the rate it’s going, i’ll probably sell it in 5 or 10 years, and the difference in life cycle cost per mile will be a nickel or something. i enjoy the hell out of the bike almost every day, love riding it, it makes me want to ride more, so it’s “worth” it to me. i’m sure i’d also love the less expensive trims of the same bike, but the difference in cost is really marginal over the life cycle of the bike.
That bike is way too fragile to ride daily, ff you read certain 110% factual opinions here (with a 110% margin for error) that bike is probably going to asplode and it cannot take racks or go mountain biking so it is clearly not able to be ridden daily.

Would love to see pictures!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-14-23, 03:59 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
i’ll probably sell it in 5 or 10 years, and the difference in life cycle cost per mile will be a nickel or something. i enjoy the hell out of the bike almost every day, love riding it, it makes me want to ride more, so it’s “worth” it to me.

Two good points here. One is that when you amortize the purchase over the length of ownership, even an expensive bike is fairly reasonable, especially compared to some other sports/hobbies I can think of. The other is the whole "pride of ownership" aspect you allude to; I want to be excited when I go out for a ride! I can (and do) get that feeling from my cheaper bikes too, but spending a sunny day on my "good" bike often motivates me to ride a little more/longer/faster, and that only adds to its value.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-14-23, 03:59 PM
tomato coupe

And, yet, there are people on this forum that have directly stated that you are stupid for spending that much money on a bike, because their tiny brains can't fathom that it's a worthwhile purchase for you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-14-23, 04:30 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
And, yet, there are people on this forum that have directly stated that you are stupid for spending that much money on a bike, because their tiny brains can't fathom that it's a worthwhile purchase for you.
i mean … they may be right that i’m stupid 😂😂 but probably not because of my bike purchases and use 🤔

Originally Posted by Rolla
Two good points here. One is that when you amortize the purchase over the length of ownership, even an expensive bike is fairly reasonable, especially compared to some other sports/hobbies I can think of. The other is the whole "pride of ownership" aspect you allude to; I want to be excited when I go out for a ride! I can (and do) get that feeling from my cheaper bikes too, but spending a sunny day on my "good" bike often motivates me to ride a little more/longer/faster, and that only adds to its value.
totally agree, having something you really like and have spent time tuning/upgrading/adjusting/maintaining generates a positive vibe. it doesn’t have to be expensive to do this but some people just like very specific things, and some people don’t.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That bike is way too fragile to ride daily, ff you read certain 110% factual opinions here (with a 110% margin for error) that bike is probably going to asplode and it cannot take racks or go mountain biking so it is clearly not able to be ridden daily.

Would love to see pictures!
it’s a little like driving a sports car to work i guess - perfectly suitable for the task, not really a lot “faster,” but very enjoyable. something to look forward to at the beginning and end of the day.

and since this is a thread about reverse snobbery bikes i’ll add some pictures of said bikes.

current setup

oh no, it’s leaning on a tree!

oh no, salt water!

oh no, rough wet roads with debris!

oh no, it’s dirty!

and now clean (ish)

second one to the office, in an hour there will be 30 bikes in here

with my daughter (behind her sirrus) at the local ice cream place

Old 01-14-23, 04:38 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by A350driver
Well they likely worked hard enough in life to afford plenty of fine food that they love to eat and nice high end bikes that they love to ride.

Good on them I say. 🙂
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 01-14-23, 04:46 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
The governing bodies for bicycle racing, if they were not hopelessly corrupt, should remove the cost of equipment from being a factor in bicycle racing by making everyone compete on the same low-end bicycles. They should just race on round steel tube framed cycles with the wall thickness dictated in the specs as not being exotic, they should dictate aluminum wheels and a certain number of steel spokes, and they should cap the number of speeds the drivetrain has at twenty. Clincher only tires would be allowed and no exotic materials, just steel and aluminum. This way the races would be won by riders not money, and it is always good for society to show people it can be just fine if it is not centered around wealth and the "new" and instead centered around things that matter much more.
Old 01-14-23, 04:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

oh no, it’s dirty!

Not even a chain stay bridge or points for mounting full fenders ??....Must feel nice getting splattered with road grime..I guess to each his own, personally I prefer to have full fenders on all of my bikes. Fenders keep my clothes and my roll top backpack clean.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-14-23, 04:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Are there still any sub-UCI limit bikes from the major manufacturers?

Yes, you can get below the limit with some component swaps. But as shipped?
Specialized Aethos S-works. 5.9 kg. With disc brakes, and a > 275# rider weight limit.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=321744-199439

Didn't see mschwett post his beautiful Aethos. I blame PG&E - our power has been out since 8 AM and this is the first time I've been on BF today.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 01-14-23 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 04:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
The governing bodies for bicycle racing, if they were not hopelessly corrupt, should remove the cost of equipment from being a factor in bicycle racing by making everyone compete on the same low-end bicycles. They should just race on round steel tube framed cycles with the wall thickness dictated in the specs as not being exotic, they should dictate aluminum wheels and a certain number of steel spokes, and they should cap the number of speeds the drivetrain has at twenty. Clincher only tires would be allowed and no exotic materials, just steel and aluminum. This way the races would be won by riders not money, and it is always good for society to show people it can be just fine if it is not centered around wealth and the "new" and instead centered around things that matter much more.
​​​​​​They have that in Japan. Not sure if they use clinchers or sewups, and the number of speeds is capped at one instead of 20...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-14-23, 04:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't race so the governing bodies of bicycle racing or UCI rules don't apply to me. I am free to ride whatever bikes I want.
Old 01-14-23, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not even a chain stay bridge or points for mounting full fenders ??....Must feel nice getting splattered with road grime..I guess to each his own, personally I prefer to have full fenders on all of my bikes. Fenders keep my clothes and my roll top backpack clean.
He's getting closer to it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-23, 04:55 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
never really been an issue, never come back from a ride with road grime on my shirt. recent weeks aside it doesn’t rain often here. my errand/child seat bike has full fenders and i’ll ride it when appropriate. there are also simple, light and effective rear fenders that attach to the seat post if i really wanted a rear fender.
Old 01-14-23, 04:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I blame PG&E - our power has been out since 8 AM .
Ours was only out for 3 hours last night.

But it has still been out more than on in 2023.
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Rolla
Thought of that way, his Aethos is much cheaper than one tire I had, which cost me $40 (in 1998 dollars), and lasted < 100 yards before a shard of glass cut the casing.

Likes For genejockey:
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Here is a picture of the bike being discussed. The main features are the frame, Roval wheels and E-tap group set. What I find interesting is that it is marketed as a UCI compliant 6.8 kg bike. This bike is not necessarily the lightest a rode bike can be but due to disc brakes and 50 mm Roval wheels and 28 mm tires, 6.8Kg as sold may be excellent. I have the 50 mm Roval wheels and really like them. They are fast, smooth and excellent on windy descents. I have the E-tap electronic shifting and prefer it to the Dura Ace electronic.

$13,549 plus $535 freight
Two Racing Bikes
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-14-23, 05:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Ours was only out for 3 hours last night.

But it has still been out more than on in 2023.
Yikes! This is the only time we've lost power. But we're in the heart of San Mateo.

Last edited by genejockey; 01-14-23 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 05:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by vonfilm

Two Racing Bikes
Pretty sure I could tell the difference.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-23, 05:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

never really been an issue, never come back from a ride with road grime on my shirt. recent weeks aside it doesn’t rain often here. my errand/child seat bike has full fenders and i’ll ride it when appropriate. there are also simple, light and effective rear fenders that attach to the seat post if i really wanted a rear fender.
Yep. I just got one, after my abortive 13 mile ride on New Years Day that left me with soggy shorts. It was like all the mud went right into the shorts/saddle interface and left me looking like I'd crapped my pants. I ordered a SKS S-blade from Performance which arrived the next day, and last Sunday I did 56 miles and no skunk stripe or sodden shorts despite riding through a LOT of water.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-23, 05:05 PM
tomato coupe

Yawn.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-14-23, 05:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Counterpoint: By allowing experimentation within a limited set of parameters (and the UCI is big on setting parameters), like minimum weight, diamond frame, etc, the UCI encourages bicycle manufacturers to constantly improve bicycles, because that technology trickles down to bikes for average schmoes like me.

If you have enough money - and it doesn't take all that much, in the grand scheme of things - you can own a bike just like the World Tour pros. Or wait a few years and get the same features on a bike for thousands less. Try that with motorsports.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-23, 05:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
​​​​​​They have that in Japan. Not sure if they use clinchers or sewups, and the number of speeds is capped at one instead of 20...

And you can bet on it.
Old 01-14-23, 05:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm

Two Racing Bikes
I don't think Hermes wants to take that KTM to his next race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.