Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is SRAM Eagle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is SRAM Eagle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-23, 05:53 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
What is SRAM Eagle?

No, really, can someone please explain to me - in short, easy to digest form - what "Eagle" is about?
Old 01-22-23, 05:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Have you really not heard of google?
Old 01-22-23, 06:07 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you really not heard of google?
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
- in short, easy to digest form -
I have heard of Google! I've heard of patronizing, unhelpful a[bleep]es, too - especially the complete type.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-22-23, 06:09 PM
Koyote

I have heard of Google! I've heard of patronizing, unhelpful a[bleep]es, too - especially the complete type.
Have you heard of "lazy"?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-22-23, 06:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/collections/eagle
Old 01-22-23, 06:10 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Oh yeah! A lot of that going on around this forum, especially right f[bleep]g now.
Old 01-22-23, 06:15 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Yeah, thanks! I'd read all this before I'd gone ahead and did the stupidest thing ever, which is to dare to post a question on this forum, but I wanted a little more than just SRAM's marketing speak - like, from a real actual human being. But thanks anyway.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-22-23, 06:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
What exactly do you want to know? I mean aside from saying bleeping a bunch because the topic is an easy search on a search engine. If you had specific questions someone can help but it is such an easy search for basic info nobody is sure what you want. You didn't like the link to the SRAM website either so you haven't been clear.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-22-23, 06:46 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Oh, gosh, I knew I was going to regret this...
No, the link to the SRAM website was fine. I loved it. It was absolutely adorable. They hype up the range of the cassette, but I was curious as to whether that was all it's about. But thanks everyone, I'll find out more elsewhere, because there's this little thing called Google and I was being lazy.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-22-23, 06:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Oh, gosh, I knew I was going to regret this...
No, the link to the SRAM website was fine. I loved it. It was absolutely adorable. They hype up the range of the cassette, but I was curious as to whether that was all it's about. But thanks everyone, I'll find out more elsewhere, because there's this little thing called Google and I was being lazy.
Wow, that’s quite the attitude, considering the other poster just asked what information you were looking for.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-22-23, 06:59 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Wow, that’s quite the attitude, considering the other poster just asked what information you were looking for.
Yeah, this place does that to people sometimes...

As I said, is Eagle just about the wide range of gear ratios? Who is it for? What can/does it do - on real life, that is - that non-Eagle SRAMs don't? You know, that kind of thing - the kind that a helpful expert would be happy to explain.
Old 01-22-23, 07:07 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
Eagle is just a collective name for all SRAM 12 speed mtb groupsets. It gives a very wide range across 12 cassette gears.
Old 01-22-23, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Your problem sjanzeir is you weren't clear in what information you wanted and are now increasingly getting unfair to people because you weren't clear. If you ask a hugely open question you will get a lot of various answers some of them quite helpful for the open endedness of the question. If you get specific people can then provide better answers.

SRAM Eagle is for anyone who wants a SRAM mountain bike group with a nice wide range. It is designed to shift 12 gears unlike other groupsets that don't. And no I am not being sarcastic here. What do you really want to know? Are you not down with 12 speed or don't like SRAM or something else maybe or are you really not sure about SRAM?

Personally I am normally a Shimano person but I do think the AXS 12 speed seems decent and with the Reverb dropper post I have a backup battery in case I need it. I would probably run Zirbel shifters and either Magura or Shimano brakes but the wireless stuff seems kinda neat. I still would probably run XT Di2 if I could.
Old 01-22-23, 08:25 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
He posted a cycling question. You post diarrhea of the mouth. Who makes the forum worse?

I really have come to hate you. You make just reading a thread awful.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-22-23, 08:27 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You jerks set the attitude around here. Don't you have a playground to terrorize?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-22-23, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Kontact No need to be hostile. If you could have read what went on you would understand what was said and why it was said. No need to hate people clearly you didn't have an answer here either so I am unsure of the reason for the post other than to do what we don't need around here. The post has something to do with SRAM Eagle, a 12 speed mountain bike groupset. No need to hurl insults around unless you really don't like SRAM then I would hurl them at SRAM not other posters.
Old 01-22-23, 08:48 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
I dont have any personal experience with it, but I'd like to think the tooth count for the cassette would be "geared" towards MTB'ers & not ideal for roadies that like close gearing spreads. The shifting would be optimized for the intended conditions too, so it might not be whisper quiet that is often expected for a drop bar rider on the streets.
Old 01-22-23, 09:09 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Eagle is just a collective name for all SRAM 12 speed mtb groupsets. It gives a very wide range across 12 cassette gears.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 01-22-23, 09:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,793 Posts
Yeah, this place does that to people sometimes...

As I said, is Eagle just about the wide range of gear ratios? Who is it for? What can/does it do - on real life, that is - that non-Eagle SRAMs don't? You know, that kind of thing - the kind that a helpful expert would be happy to explain.
In my experience (indirect, as it was the kid's bike), 12-speed GX Eagle is total garbage. He destroyed the first one when a stick went into the drivetrain. This was in the middle of a ride, and I tried to fix it the best I could at the time, and probably wound up making it worse. It is quite fragile, and the derailleur cage is easily bent. We went though a second one fairly quickly as well, before switching over to Shimano. SLX 12-speed is vastly superior, and I think was slightly less expensive. They also have NX and SX, which are one and two tiers lower. I have no experience with those, but seem to recall they aren't significantly less expensive, and it is hard to imagine something even worse that the GX Eagle. The shifter, however, is actually pretty decent. The brakes that came along with it I think are called Level, and they are absolute crap as well.
Old 01-22-23, 09:14 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I could easily see that from the SRAM Eagle webpage, and yet sjanzeir is upset that people suggested that he review that info.
Old 01-22-23, 09:16 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Kontact No need to be hostile. If you could have read what went on you would understand what was said and why it was said. No need to hate people clearly you didn't have an answer here either so I am unsure of the reason for the post other than to do what we don't need around here. The post has something to do with SRAM Eagle, a 12 speed mountain bike groupset. No need to hurl insults around unless you really don't like SRAM then I would hurl them at SRAM not other posters.
You kidding? The first post is entirely hostile and unnecessary.

This forum is not really moderated, and there seems to be a contingent of bad actors who think they are freelance moderators - steering topics around to their biases by making discussion intolerable. And then everyone else reacts to the person who got targeted for being put out about it. The OP should be put out. You should be put out. Koyote's post shouldn't be tolerated by people who want a discussion board to be about discussion, not aggression.

You know what works really well to limit seemingly valueless posts? You ignore them. Someone asks a dumb question, leave the thread alone and it will disappear off the bottom of the page in a day.

So instead of potentially interesting discussion about what is and isn't Eagle and its features, we have the script from Mean Girls. Because a couple of not nice people think the topic is beneath them.
Old 01-22-23, 09:27 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

I could easily see that from the SRAM Eagle webpage, and yet sjanzeir is upset that people suggested that he review that info.
No, I was never upset that someone suggested that I visit a web page because I had already done that and found it more about corporate hype than "Eagle is this and that. As I said in my original post what I wanted was...

- in short, easy to digest form -
... which PeteHski thankfully obliged, saving me plenty of time (which, by the way, is the very essence of being helpful.) This thread didn't need to be more than two or three posts long, with each post being two or three lines at most. But I guess it's far more satisfying to be patronizing and holier-than-thou online than it is to disseminate actual, real-world knowledge and information like Polaris OBark just did.
Old 01-22-23, 09:27 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Awesome! Thanks!
what i find somewhat confusing about the SRAM approach is that "eagle" refers to a huge range of MTB components, unlike, say, "dura-ace" or "XTR" in the shimano world, which specifies both a type (road, mtb) and a level.

so in SRAM MTB land, there are several levels chosen from the tiers that go with eagle, NX eagle, GX eagle, X01 eagle, and XX1 eagle. pretty big differences from NX to GX (e.g. different driver and so on) and then more differences as you work the way up, but they're all 12 speed mountain bike drivetrains.

Old 01-22-23, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Kontact
You kidding? The first post is entirely hostile and unnecessary.

This forum is not really moderated, and there seems to be a contingent of bad actors who think they are freelance moderators - steering topics around to their biases by making discussion intolerable. And then everyone else reacts to the person who got targeted for being put out about it. The OP should be put out. You should be put out. Koyote's post shouldn't be tolerated by people who want a discussion board to be about discussion, not aggression.

You know what works really well to limit seemingly valueless posts? You ignore them. Someone asks a dumb question, leave the thread alone and it will disappear off the bottom of the page in a day.

So instead of potentially interesting discussion about what is and isn't Eagle and its features, we have the script from Mean Girls. Because a couple of not nice people think the topic is beneath them.
You are the one derailing the conversation though and being exceptionally hostile and the OP was also hostile for no real reason as well.

The forum is moderated but guess what the folks who do so are a small group of unpaid individuals who probably also have lives and cannot get to every thread all the time. Sometimes they aren't perfect but who is?

Do you have anything to say on SRAM Eagle? I am guessing not a fan because you haven't said a word about that. That is totally fine. 12 speed isn't for everyone, I am fine with 11 speed personally but would run a 12 speed group having ridden some SLX and XT stuff minimally it seems to work quite well but would really love some Di2 stuff or am interested in trying some AXS
Old 01-22-23, 09:34 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by mschwett
in SRAM MTB land, there are several levels chosen from the tiers that go with eagle, NX eagle, GX eagle, X01 eagle, and XX1 eagle. pretty big differences from NX to GX
You know what? That exactly what I found bewildering, hence my much-maligned original question. It just wasn't immediately obvious to me what "Eagle" and "not Eagle" were. Thank you for this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.